teragon maps

crimson_binome

On 4/28/2023 at 9:02 PM, spud42 said:

im wondering if there is going to be a problem with teragon and the new a21.... new poi's and tiles etc

My guess is POIs and Tiles updated to A21 will allow Teragon to generate A21 maps because I suspect none of the game's file formats are likely to have changed, either as input (POI and Tile) files or as output (World) files. I think new blocks are just names and numbers at that level and should work fine.

There are probably going to be issues related to POI and Tile design conventions, such as what new Tags influence the placement of things, support for the new Gateway Tiles, and who knows what else that Teragon can't possibly know until Pille, Riamus, etc. get a chance to kick A21's tires.

Edited by zztong (see edit history)

1 hour ago, zztong said:

My guess is POIs and Tiles updated to A21 will allow Teragon to generate A21 maps because I suspect none of the game's file formats are likely to have changed, either as input (POI and Tile) files or as output (World) files. I think new blocks are just names and numbers at that level and should work fine.

There are probably going to be issues related to POI and Tile design conventions, such as what new Tags influence the placement of things, support for the new Gateway Tiles, and who knows what else that Teragon can't possibly know until Pille, Riamus, etc. get a chance to kick A21's tires.

There will possibly be a slight hiccup with gateway tiles now that you mention those.  The country tiles have gateway in their filenames and Teragon may interpret that as being actual gateway tiles and so use them on towns in place of the normal gateway tile.  This can be corrected by using the gateway parameter, though.  Setting the gateway to the correct one in a preset will fix that issue until Teragon updates to handle that change.

• 1 month later...

I've been playing with Teragon for a bit, and almost have a world I'm happy with. I'm using the "Create Noise Biome map" for biomes. Is there a way to control the relative distributions of biomes, like you can with "Create Environmental Biome Map"? I like the output, but want to scale back wasteland and increase forest distribution, for example.

6 hours ago, zootal said:

I've been playing with Teragon for a bit, and almost have a world I'm happy with. I'm using the "Create Noise Biome map" for biomes. Is there a way to control the relative distributions of biomes, like you can with "Create Environmental Biome Map"? I like the output, but want to scale back wasteland and increase forest distribution, for example.

Not directly.  However, different seeds will give you a different distribution of biomes.  If you are willing to try a variety of seeds, you will probably find one you like.  You can also adjust the frequency to get more separate biomes or fewer.  Also, keep in mind that you can always edit your biomes.png file in any paint program, including the Paint program that comes with Windows.  There is information in the "online" documentation regarding the specific RGB values needed for each biome.  You can always fill in some of the wasteland sections with forest or other biomes with just the Fill button in the paint program.  Hopefully there will be more control added to that in the future.

49 minutes ago, zootal said:

Is this by design? I'm using CP All Plus Metro Plus Vanilla preset. These spiky formations are all over the place.

Screen shot of spiky formations.

spiky.png

This is caused by missing POI that are near roads.  Missing POI are caused by having a POI listed in your POI Property List that does not have an Add Source Path pointing to where the POI is located on your computer, or for vanilla POI it would be a bad Game Directory path.  Make sure you are telling Teragon where all your POI are located, especially if you are using any custom POI.  Most likely, since you're using their preset, they have not updated it to use the tags for paths and so it is looking for POI at a static location that is different from where you have yours.  You will need to go through all the Add Source Path commands and update them to point to your POI and also make sure your Game Directory is correct.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

11 hours ago, Riamus said:

This is caused by missing POI that are near roads.  Missing POI are caused by having a POI listed in your POI Property List that does not have an Add Source Path pointing to where the POI is located on your computer, or for vanilla POI it would be a bad Game Directory path.  Make sure you are telling Teragon where all your POI are located, especially if you are using any custom POI.  Most likely, since you're using their preset, they have not updated it to use the tags for paths and so it is looking for POI at a static location that is different from where you have yours.  You will need to go through all the Add Source Path commands and update them to point to your POI and also make sure your Game Directory is correct.

TYVM for that. I'm only using CompoPack and the Teragon POIs. I think I'll generate a world without them and compare differences. That should at least tell me if it's CompoPack or Teragon's PIOs causing it. Note to self - check game directory while at it...

54 minutes ago, zootal said:

TYVM for that. I'm only using CompoPack and the Teragon POIs. I think I'll generate a world without them and compare differences. That should at least tell me if it's CompoPack or Teragon's PIOs causing it. Note to self - check game directory while at it...

No problem.  You can also look at your preview in Teragon.  If you see any POI that has a diamond shape icon at the lower left corner, it means that POI can't be found.  You can then look at the POI name to determine which POI it is.

I wondered what those were! I saw a lot of them yesterday. I corrected the path to the game directory, and now I don't see them. Haven't actually run the map, but so far looking good.

I'm running Teragon in a Windows VM, as my main workstation is Linux. I can get Teragon to run under Linux via wine, but if I try to build anything bigger than 4096, it throws too many open files errors. And I have my files setting set to a ridiculously huge setting. Not sure what is causing that, so for now I run in under a Windows VM....

3 minutes ago, zootal said:

I wondered what those were! I saw a lot of them yesterday. I corrected the path to the game directory, and now I don't see them. Haven't actually run the map, but so far looking good.

I'm running Teragon in a Windows VM, as my main workstation is Linux. I can get Teragon to run under Linux via wine, but if I try to build anything bigger than 4096, it throws too many open files errors. And I have my files setting set to a ridiculously huge setting. Not sure what is causing that, so for now I run in under a Windows VM....

I don't use Linux but some on discord have mentioned using it.  Maybe ask in the #discussions channel and see if anyone can give you some advice.

I fielded a question this morning from somebody who was getting errors:

WRN Could not load prefab 'rwg_tile_gateway_cap'. Skipping it
ERR Prefab loading failed. Prefab 'rwg_tile_gateway_cap' does not exist!

Folks should note that the current version of Teragon is generating maps using the gateway conventions for A20, but A21 changed all that around. That A20 Tile "rwg_tile_gateway_cap" is (1) an A20 POI so you cannot just plop it into your A21 files and expect it to work and (2) supports old trader POIs, not the A21 traders.

Short Answer - Until Teragon supports A21, it isn't going to give you a map with traders.

Additionally, yes you could convert the A20 rwg_tile_gateway_cap to A21, but there's no point in doing so. A21 gateways don't support the "cap" configuration of roads AND that old Tile was basically empty except for the trader and a road. There's no significant content there to convert. You won't miss it!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks.  I just saw this post.  Hard to keep up with all the A21 discussions going on.  ;)

Yes, at this time, Teragon cannot properly place traders until it is updated (it sounds like an update may be relatively soon for at least the biggest issues but no guarantees).  If you want to use Teragon for A21 right now, it is possible but you need to delete the rwg_tile_gateway_cap references in prefabs.xml and manually add the traders.  You should actually be able to just place the correct new trader references in the exact same place and have it at least close to what it should be.  You will also need to create your own POI Property List that includes the new wilderness POIs if you want those to show up.  All town POIs will show just fine.  Additionally, any wilderness POIs that were removed or had their names changes (not sure if any were), you'd want to remove those from your POI Property List to prevent errors when Teragon tries to place them.  Last, if you want any of the new country tiles or the checkpoints, you'll need to manually add them.

In short, it's possible to use Teragon right now even though it hasn't yet been updated for A21 but it'll require some manual effort.  For most people, it's probably best to wait for it to get updated to support A21 properly. :)

23 hours ago, Pille said:

I'm making decent progress getting Teragon ready for A21 (just started yesterday after a long hiatus). So far, it doesn't seem to be particularly elaborate to make things compatible... 

Thanks for your hard work on this. 

On 2/4/2023 at 10:55 PM, bobrpggamer said:

I just realized something, what about traders? Are they generated at all?

I am a capitalist and need my commerce, so without that (hopefully added later) I will just wait.

Running into the same issue, no traders are being generated. Definitely need that now for alpha21 to buy all those damn skill books! :D

On 6/29/2023 at 2:06 PM, Dakkon69 said:

Running into the same issue, no traders are being generated. Definitely need that now for alpha21 to buy all those damn skill books! :D

Just hold on until the new version that is for A21 is released.  If you go onto the Discord channel in #discussions, you can ask for info on how to manually place traders if you want to use it before then.

Teragon will be compatible with A21 soon, with certain features not yet implemented or not fully implemented.  But it will work fine for creating your A21 maps.  There is an A21 compatible testing version currently available in the #testing channel of Discord if you want to start using it before the official release.  Please note:  If you are using a previously created preset, you must replace the text in the Read POI Property List command with what is in the Read POI Property List command in the updated default preset in order to have the A21 wilderness/region POI.

1 hour ago, Riamus said:

Teragon will be compatible with A21 soon, with certain features not yet implemented or not fully implemented.  But it will work fine for creating your A21 maps.  There is an A21 compatible testing version currently available in the #testing channel of Discord if you want to start using it before the official release.  Please note:  If you are using a previously created preset, you must replace the text in the Read POI Property List command with what is in the Read POI Property List command in the updated default preset in order to have the A21 wilderness/region POI.

Sweet. I'm going to make some test maps tonight and start a playthrough series and stream series. hopefully the three people that watch my videos will learn about Teragon , and hopefully i'll stop calling it "TeraGen"

4 minutes ago, EpicSpire said:

Sweet. I'm going to make some test maps tonight and start a playthrough series and stream series. hopefully the three people that watch my videos will learn about Teragon , and hopefully i'll stop calling it "TeraGen"

Three people?  Lol!  :D  (Not making fun of that -- I have 0.  Heh.)

If you have questions or issues, feel free to comment here, though it's better in Discord.  And if you really only have 3 followers, I wish you well in increasing the number of followers.  I'm sure it's difficult getting started streaming.

You might have already read Riamus's post in the other thread but if not I just wanted to let you know that an a21 compatible update has been released a couple of minutes ago. Also, for those who don't have discord, there's a short-term road map for the project:

1-month road map (till end of July)
* Compatibility with A21 (won't take a month)
* Improved feedback for incorrect settings (including fixes for crashes due to wrong settings)
* Bugfixes for rotations and part issue

Obviously, the first item has already been achieved to a significant extent. I admit that this doesn't look super existing but there may be stuff not mentioned in the schedule. 

Edited by Pille (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

Warmer, that is awesome, again.  How is hte FPSs in your rig?  I feel it will kill mine.  I like the premise of the nuke or insfected asteroid, but a regional scale.  I.e. like a half continent vs a City :).  I will be studying the Teragon Manual by Riamus.

On 7/15/2023 at 3:57 PM, Rotor said:

Warmer, that is awesome, again.  How is hte FPSs in your rig?  I feel it will kill mine. .

I am getting about 30-45fps on the slow side when I am need huge POI in downtown areas. Horde night isn't bad, but I am based outside the city a bit.

For PC stats

I have a Ryzen 8 core 

32GB ram

AMD 6800xt 16GB ram

Playing at 3440 x 1440 res