teragon maps

crimson_binome

12 hours ago, Gamida said:

Is there going to be somewhere to download player made maps? I have been trying but I have screwed up Teragon so much (knew I would lol) that all the maps I have made so far contain just snow biome.

you can reload your preset to clear any changes you have made. as far as downloads go people can feel free to share maps in this thread or make a thread to do so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioVUwg5YS0A&t=328s

tallman brad has made a great tutorial on making maps with large cities.

Glad we have a Teragon discussion thread started. :-)

Lots of great stuff in Teragon; and some that obviously needs some TLC. haha. Love the bridges feature, but they need work.

I've been making numerous worlds. Anxiously anticipating Tallman Brad's tutorial on how to include the POIs I want, including my own.

Been trying to figure out how that works from looking at the .ini files and the Prefab_Property_List.txt and Town_Property_List.txt files. I'd love to find some documentation on how tiles work so I can design my own POIs to use them.

Edited by Par_A (see edit history)

@spud42  Those are some nice maps, Spud. I seem to be a bit like Gamida, and atm think that the Advanced RWG+MapToolz +Gimp - is waaaay faster and easier. I like the Teragon preview and its roads, but all that work???? One needs a degree from a university to comprehend it. (Sorry Brad)

Gamida - would you care to share them? They look pretty good.

Thanks.

3 hours ago, paulj_3 said:

Gamida - would you care to share them? They look pretty good.

Thanks.

Because they are only snow biomes and I was thinking they were glitched I don't have them anymore. Was part of reason I asked if there was somewhere people could share maps so I could download some. Sorry.

Here's a screenshot of a 12k world I did. The original preview.png was over 150MB, and you can zoom in enough to read the names of the POIs. This is a screenshot of that at a more manageable 1.5MB. I adjusted water level and terrain subtraction to get a more organic shoreline and some lakes. This map includes the CompoPack POIs.

Generating the roads took a LONG time. Hours. (Acer Predator gaming laptop, Quad core Intel Core i7-7700HQ) It also put multiple overlapping bridges in odd places joining outcroppings of land on the shoreline.

Louie-test-12k.png

Edited by Par_A (see edit history)

On 1/31/2023 at 4:26 PM, Par_A said:

I've been making numerous worlds. Anxiously anticipating Tallman Brad's tutorial on how to include the POIs I want, including my own.

Been trying to figure out how that works from looking at the .ini files and the Prefab_Property_List.txt and Town_Property_List.txt files. I'd love to find some documentation on how tiles work so I can design my own POIs to use them.

Including your own POI is fairly straightforward.  There are basically three steps.

1) Create a POI property list file.  On the discord server there is a Python script that will do this for you or you can make your own script or make it manually if you have few POI to add.  The discord server can tell you the data needed in that file.

2) import the POI property list.  To do so, on the expert tab, add the import POI property list command and point it to your property list file.

3) add the source path to the prefabs, parts, and tiles.  To do so, on the expert tab, add the add source path command and point it to the directory that has the subfolders for the prefabs, parts, and tiles you want to add.

Note that both commands should be near the top of the command list.  I suggest putting them near the read POI property list command, but add long as they are above the create POI command, you should be fine.

More help can be found on discord.

Ok, thiss has been an ordeal.

height map taken from Tangram heightmapper using Tallmanbrads tutorial on his youtube channel.

its a 10K map

i had to go in with GIMP and smudge some areas of the height map so cities would build at all. original had too much variations in height to let a city spawn.

I noter there are a high concentration of pois creating town like areas will remain to be explored if they make sense in game. They are linked with paths/roads. check the top right of the map, it spawned 7 ship poi's . 

Overall the final render with errosion rivers and roads took approx 3 hours on a Ryzen 5800X . It is the roads that take all the time. watching on perofmance monitor the road making only uses 1 core. interestingly it moves cores but only ever uses 1 core at 100% for a while then switches to another core. Shows 8% CPU usage. Maybe the road generation cant use multi threads?

If anybody wants it here is a link  https://gofile.me/6ZBka/ehpVQ5eHi         Edit: updated link 29/3/2024

1360687507_previewsmall.thumb.jpg.7c04b6f7b53d453f4be14a16cb6e0ddb.jpg

Edited by spud42
upgated link for some reason it stopped working. (see edit history)

14 hours ago, Riamus said:

Including your own POI is fairly straightforward.  There are basically three steps.

1) Create a POI property list file.  On the discord server there is a Python script that will do this for you or you can make your own script or make it manually if you have few POI to add.  The discord server can tell you the data needed in that file.

2) import the POI property list.  To do so, on the expert tab, add the import POI property list command and point it to your property list file.

3) add the source path to the prefabs, parts, and tiles.  To do so, on the expert tab, add the add source path command and point it to the directory that has the subfolders for the prefabs, parts, and tiles you want to add.

Note that both commands should be near the top of the command list.  I suggest putting them near the read POI property list command, but add long as they are above the create POI command, you should be fine.

More help can be found on discord.

Thanks for the info, Riamus. I'll try some of those things.

Would you have a copy of the Python script you mention? I'm not on the Discord. (For some reason they want uniquely identifying personal information in order to join the server. Info that would give them my full name, address, location, etc. That's not going to happen. I'm not doxxing myself to Discord who already have a sketchy relationship with privacy.)

Perhaps you could repost for me some of the more valuable info from that site. That would be great.

Thanks a lot!

Par

I'll try to remember to ask the author of the Python script to post a link here.  There is really too much information to try and repost it here, but suggestion will slowly be improved as versions increase and maybe someone will decide to put together a wiki or something.

As for discord, I don't know their privacy policies or really care as any of my info is already online, so it isn't a big deal, but I didn't have to give an address.  General locations are given pretty much anytime you use any website, including this one.  And a name isn't exactly private, but I certainly don't fault anyone for caring about privacy.  Just my personal feeling that everything is already online, so hiding it doesn't really matter, imo. 😁

@spud42   You're a life-saver Spud! Thank you for the map. (175Mb, phew!) I reckon I'm too old for figuring out this program - in spite of Brad's great tutorials. Just about every map I've/it's created ends up looking like a Dingo's back-end, so I'm just going to go back to the "old" Advanced RWG+GIMP+KingGen & MapToolz. I understand "smudge" and "brush". K.I.S.S. . . .
Cheers.
pj

Edited by paulj_3 (see edit history)

5 hours ago, paulj_3 said:

@spud42   You're a life-saver Spud! Thank you for the map. (175Mb, phew!) I reckon I'm too old for figuring out this program - in spite of Brad's great tutorials. Just about every map I've/it's created ends up looking like a Dingo's back-end, so I'm just going to go back to the "old" Advanced RWG+GIMP+KingGen & MapToolz. I understand "smudge" and "brush". K.I.S.S. . . .
Cheers.
pj

no problems, i have played this through for 2 ingame days so far. after completing the starter quest i found my trader was on the other side of 1 off the rivers. now this is where Teragon fails a bit. The rivers cut through the land like the Grand Canyon. there is like a 50 or 60 block almost vertical wall to the rivers. they should be limit to the depth they can be and then filled with water. At the moment the water level is the "sea" level so sheer vertical walls on rivers is what you get in mountain areas.

1 hour ago, spud42 said:

no problems, i have played this through for 2 ingame days so far. after completing the starter quest i found my trader was on the other side of 1 off the rivers. now this is where Teragon fails a bit. The rivers cut through the land like the Grand Canyon. there is like a 50 or 60 block almost vertical wall to the rivers. they should be limit to the depth they can be and then filled with water. At the moment the water level is the "sea" level so sheer vertical walls on rivers is what you get in mountain areas.

Can you smooth out the height map for the river banks with a airbrush in gimp? You could use a brush with a hardness of 20% to keep the river banks at a constant level you want, say greyscale with 128 value and the apply a blur filter to it and the surrounding terrain to smooth it out.

Also could you adjust the overall hightmap at a 0 - 128 value and the add then carve the rivers in from there.

I know it is more difficult than it seems but at least with terragon you can access the height map. like the way you could with nitrogen.

Also can you edit the water levels (preferably in gimp as a water hightmap) taking, say blue 128 at its deepest and then at a varying degree take the blue value to say 64 for shallow water, if get what I mean.

I want to get into this too but I am in the middle of a game already.

Edited by bobrpggamer (see edit history)

2 hours ago, spud42 said:

You have control over how the river shores are in Teragon.  The default settings do give steep edges, but by adjusting the flat water level, as well as other settings, you can smooth those down to more natural edges.  The main issue is that your default flat water level is set to 18 (in the current version of Teragon.  I think it may have been a different in the first version) and your flat height map level is 30.  This means that when the rivers are cut into the map, you have 12m at depth at even just the base level of the ground and if there are any hills or whatever that increase height, this goes up further.

no idea, i didnt write this just trying to use it. 

sea level is set to 20 in teragon, if the land the river cuts through is at 100 then you are going to have a 80 m drop to water.

there is no river map to adjust as far as i know teragon randomly generates them and where the cities are and how big. each generation seems different even if you dont change anything. maybe maptools could edit the river banks but 80 m is a whole lot of wide smoothing that would look weird. For now i am generating with no rivers. maybe later there will be more control on them or maybe i need to learn how to adjust the generation . I just dont know. 

I have been generating 10K maps because i like to travel and explore but they take a long time to generate to preview and thats before the roads are calculated.

I have wilderness POI's set to a max of 500 but for some reason in the last 3 maps i generated i have 0 poi's .  so thats over 30 minutes to generate a map i dont like another 30 minutes to figure out what to tweak, watch brads videos again etc.

and still no wilderness pois in the render just finished.  i tried Brads idea of lassoing an area in gimp and filling it with a level. i got more and bigger cities but no pois in the wilderness.....  the huge flat areas look a bit weird on the map but probably ok in game.

359538439_previewsmall.thumb.jpg.7dfd6965921ef776e2cdb39bf1073e5f.jpg

the top 5 cities, so the big 2 and north are generated on an area that was lassoed ans filled to 1 specific colour grey. you can clearly see an edge to them. There are going to be vertical cliffs  from surrounding natural ground to the artifical flat area. A feather brush to the edges might smooth it out a bit more. but the bottom 2 cities were generated on areas that were made using the smudge tool in GIMP. they blend in better and seem more natural.

these are just rough drafts of a world and in cleaning up areas for towns to generate i have mucked up the coastline in many places. 

A better height map capture is required or a better resource than tangram heightmapper is required. i suppose i would get more detail if i had a 4K monitor because essentially you get a screen capture and then have to scale it up.

But why no wilderness poi's ????   the Tassie map almost has too many and this one has 0. at least i havent found any. on the upside the road generation was a lot quicker without all the dirt roads...

14 hours ago, Par_A said:

Thanks for the info, Riamus. I'll try some of those things.

Would you have a copy of the Python script you mention? I'm not on the Discord. (For some reason they want uniquely identifying personal information in order to join the server. Info that would give them my full name, address, location, etc. That's not going to happen. I'm not doxxing myself to Discord who already have a sketchy relationship with privacy.)

Perhaps you could repost for me some of the more valuable info from that site. That would be great.

Thanks a lot!

Par

Here is the link for the Python script to create a POI Property List file for use with Teragon.  Credit goes to grumpybeard.

https://github.com/grumpygabe/TeragonPOIParser

2 hours ago, spud42 said:

no idea, i didnt write this just trying to use it. 

sea level is set to 20 in teragon, if the land the river cuts through is at 100 then you are going to have a 80 m drop to water.

there is no river map to adjust as far as i know teragon randomly generates them and where the cities are and how big. each generation seems different even if you dont change anything. maybe maptools could edit the river banks but 80 m is a whole lot of wide smoothing that would look weird. For now i am generating with no rivers. maybe later there will be more control on them or maybe i need to learn how to adjust the generation . I just dont know. 

I have been generating 10K maps because i like to travel and explore but they take a long time to generate to preview and thats before the roads are calculated.

I have wilderness POI's set to a max of 500 but for some reason in the last 3 maps i generated i have 0 poi's .  so thats over 30 minutes to generate a map i dont like another 30 minutes to figure out what to tweak, watch brads videos again etc.

and still no wilderness pois in the render just finished.  i tried Brads idea of lassoing an area in gimp and filling it with a level. i got more and bigger cities but no pois in the wilderness.....  the huge flat areas look a bit weird on the map but probably ok in game.

Sea level doesn't seem to have any impact on anything right now.  You want to adjust the flat water map that I mentioned.  That is how you will raise or lower water levels.  You can also lower the base terrain level, which will also help cut down those differences if you prefer.  The rivers should generally follow the terrain and stick to lower terrain areas, though I haven't done serious testing as my computer isn't great and generation takes much longer for me so I only consider adding a river if I really like a map and feel a river would be good.  For me, the rivers crossing the entire map isn't ideal either.  I'd prefer to have shorter rivers, but that isn't currently an option with Teragon.

If you are getting no POIs, then there is likely a setting giving you problems.  I'd recommend posting your preset in the Discord discussion channel and ask for someone to look at it to see if they can find the problem.  You can also grab someone else's preset from Discord to see how their settings work.  As far as flattening an area, sure, you can do that, but I've made very large cities without any need for that (with elevation and flatness thresholds set well, Teragon will adjust terrain to make them fit) and it doesn't really impact POIs that much.

Here are 4 maps I've made.  Only two were generated with roads, but they give you some basic examples of some variety of maps you can make.  As you can tell, I was playing around with large mountains for most of these.

Note that three of these were done with low POI settings.  The last was done with higher settings and was meant to test certain settings, so it isn't a map I'd actually use, but it does show what you can get for POI in Teragon without using any other software.  No need to flatten anything in gimp or other software.

MyMap3.png

MyMap6.png

MyMap9.png

MountainSIDECity.png