When did this page start requiring Google Authenticater?

ElCabong

I delete all my browser cookies every now and then. Things run faster after you do.

I got asked for Google Authenticater and had to install it. Not really complaining.

Did I set this up the last time I messed with  my account settings? It's the sort of thing I would forget.

4 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

It´s not required for regular users. You can simply skip it.

@Crater Creator So that i would need a google account? No thanks. Bring back steam authentification, everyone who owns the game has a steam account.

You don't need a google account and you don't even need google authenticator. This is not the same  as the login via sites google or facebook acount, this is different.

Authenticators just create one-time use passwords that depend on a shared number and the current time.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Brains said:

Xbox uses steam?

Well yeah, not really. Forgot about the consoles. That makes steam a third party solution aswell.

@meganoth It asked me to log in to a google account i think. Not 100% sure though, i saw i could simply skip and did that.

Any solution that doesn´t involve a third party is good. Like sending a code via email. (yeah technically also a third party, but everyone has a email adress, otherwise you can´t be registered here) 

Is this really needed though? Are the bots that active? It´s not like this forum is highly visited generally. 

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

18 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

It´s not required for regular users. You can simply skip it.

Thanks, and also confirmed by forum staff.

18 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

@Crater Creator So that i would need a google account? No thanks. Bring back steam authentification, everyone who owns the game has a steam account.

For what it's worth, when I actually looked into it and tried Google's authenticator app, I found my concerns were addressed. I did not need a Google account. The only data required were my forum account name and a code. I used a manual alphanumeric code provided by this website, so that the app wouldn't need camera access to scan a QR code. We also had an instance of someone that didn't have a smart phone, who was able to run it on desktop via a smart phone emulator. My last concern was that this would be a wet blanket for forum traffic if all users had to start using it, so I'm thankful to learn it's not required.

P.S. The change was made for security reasons, and not for spambots specifically.

Edited by Crater Creator (see edit history)

How does one even get the code if the forum doesn´t need any data? From my email? I don´t use a smartphone either. Having to install a programm to be able to visit a forum is a no go tbh. Even having to use your phone isn´t acceptable.

It´s not like there is any money or personal data involved on here.

Should have taken a closer look at this but the skip button was there so i didn´t. Well if this should become mandatory this ain´t good news for the traffic on here.

2 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

How does one even get the code if the forum doesn´t need any data? From my email? I don´t use a smartphone either. Having to install a programm to be able to visit a forum is a no go tbh. Even having to use your phone isn´t acceptable.

Should have taken a closer look at this but the skip button was there so i didn´t. Well if this should become mandatory this ain´t good news for the traffic on here.

I got a scannable QR code when I was prompted. I installed it on may cell phone and had a hard time scanning the QR. It took maybe 30 seconds and it beeped and gave me a set of numberd to enter.

1 hour ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

How does one even get the code if the forum doesn´t need any data?

The method is called Time-based One-time Password or TOTP for short. A random initial seed is generated by the forum and stored in your account. From this seed a new 6 digit code is generated every 30 seconds.

In most cases this seed is displayed as a QR code. Sometimes alternatively as a sequence of letters and numbers. There are also desktop applications that can generate this code from the seed. For example, I use Bitwarden as a password manager and it already has this function integrated.  If you use Windows as operating system, 2fast would be a suitable client.

Edited by RipClaw (see edit history)

2 hours ago, meganoth said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Authenticator

Read this if you want to understand how it works. Note there is nothing said about any external accounts except the one you want to login to.

But i need an app to be able to get the code. The problem isn´t having another account, it´s the must to use a 3rd party at all, be it the smartphone for QR or the app for the PC to generate the code. For logging into a gaming forum. In case that this should be mandatory it´s way over the top.

E-banking can be done with email and no smartphone or installation of an app on the PC required. (Yes, i know email is 3rd party aswell, but one that everyone here already has)

Well it´s not mandatory anyways, But if it becomes mandatory, i really hope they reconsider their choices. We are talking about a gaming forum here.

22 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

Confused as I have not seen any changes to log into the forums, either via my computer at home, my computer at work, or my iPad.

When you click on Password in your account settings, you will be offered to set up two-factor authentication.

2 hours ago, RipClaw said:

When you click on Password in your account settings, you will be offered to set up two-factor authentication.

Ah, now I see it.

Never thought about doing a two-factor authentication for a game forum.  I do it all the time for something more critical, like all of my financial logins.

I figure the worst that could happen here is someone manages to get my password and start posting crap under my user name.