vehicle weapons discussion

24 minutes ago, Syphon583 said:

That makes more sense to me than taking it from the personal inventory of the person who is driving.

You're assuming a two-player setup, driver and gunner? Would be nice to work as solo as well though, and with that it would make some sense.

A gun mount might be nice, but the vehicles would require serious drawbacks then; adding a gun to the current one would make it seriously OP.

Mines I don't really see the use for, in the current game; it's not like things chasing you are an issue.

Edited by theFlu (see edit history)

32 minutes ago, theFlu said:

A gun mount might be nice, but the vehicles would require serious drawbacks then; adding a gun to the current one would make it seriously OP.

Oh yeah, for sure. I can definitely see why TFP haven't implemented something like this (and I'm pretty sure have publicly stated it will never happen) but i think the idea is fun.

Although, I still don't see how making the ammo from the gun come out of the vehicle storage changes anything between solo and multiplayer games (regardless of how many players). Maybe I misunderstood the OP, but storing the ammo in the truck and having the turret take from that still makes more sense. But that's just me. 

What about an auto turret on top, smg or shotgun, that would be fun, driving about, and it just opens up, wouldn’t work on a bike though but on top of the jeep would be best, it would probably bring back more usage of the jeep, I don’t us it because its sluggish and slow

23 hours ago, Northern lights said:

How would u all feel about a mounted mini gun for the truck box

You mean like a belt-fed M50 mounted on the passenger side where your co-op partner could mow down the Blood Moon Horde as you circle them like a dolphin rounding up mackerel, screaming "YEAH, COME GET SOME YOU UNDEAD FREAKS!!!"?

Sounds pretty horrible.

Edit to add: you know what would also be horrible? Game-killing, really. Letting us drop Molotovs and dynamite from the gyrocopter. I would haaaaaate that.

Edited by Boidster (see edit history)

I thought Boidster was being sarcastic?

Weaponry on vehicles sounds fun to me. Damage chance of magazine explosion and levels of vehicle degradation could be options for balance - military vehicles being a high resource maintenance and having

less storage due to  more armour /wep options so convoys are a thing with cargo vs protection or even a mobile base set up ( or bases involving armed or armoured vehicle tracks as part of their set up - the bus as a gate idea or circus maximus type zombie death arena)

The idea of game breaking in a game you can control server settings and a lot of limits are self imposed seems moot. Fun or near crushing realism can be your aim and for me and mates mayhem is fun.

So for me armed vehicles means more interaction types,  options and simulation which is capacity for more fun in a sandbox.

8 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Sounds fun, would be way to over powered.

As I mentioned I don’t see how that is an issue in a sandbox where you can set resources to infinite and be invincible if you want - most sandboxes are designed to be potentially overpowered if you want the server to be so or absolutely nightmarishly difficult if other way inclined. Settings and player set limitations define this so I don’t see this as an argument against having the options of powerful things in the game

Currently, vehicles with weapons are being worked on by @Zilox, so far he's finished the Apache Helicopter with a working missile launcher, and is finalizing his work on an APC with a mounted explosive launcher.

As for if the Devs have any interest in doing something like this, I remember faatal awhile back saying that it was possible, but not their priority right now. Could be wrong, though.

Apache Helicopter Mod:

@Radford The balance is done around default settings. That is what matters for things like that. And yes, right now it´s full sandbox, but as we get a story that will change. It will still be sandbox after finishing it propably, but there will be an endgoal. 

Assuming this should be a late game thing were we are already overpowered anyways even on way harder settings than default, this wouldn´t really serve any purpose anyways. And i doubt they gonna add something just fot the lulz.

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

56 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

@Radford The balance is done around default settings. That is what matters for things like that. And yes, right now it´s full sandbox, but as we get a story that will change. It will still be sandbox after finishing it propably, but there will be an endgoal. 

Assuming this should be a late game thing were we are already overpowered anyways even on way harder settings than default, this wouldn´t really serve any purpose anyways. And i doubt they gonna add something just fot the lulz.

Yes I get that - though difficulty levels could enable or not so again not an issue I can see.

Moving away from full sandbox to another story based zombie deal would be a pity in my view, but appreciate good for many players so all to the good and gives potential tools for modders probably. The lulz are the only reason I play  games 🙂 but seems mods would be the way then so if remains highly moddable and great and creative community no biggie so you’re probably right enough for the devs to do…

Love that apache will check that mod for sure.

I don´t think they will move away from sandbox, they will simply add a storyline with an ending. And that´s what the balance is about. We do lack challenge in mid and late game. A gun on a vehicle would make this even more easy. Imagine MP with the limited number of Z´s we are forced to have due to engine and hardware limitations and everyone driving around with this.

They even removed the ability to kill zombies by driving over them with vehicles, because that was just to OP. (I think you can still kill them, but you have to drive over them a lot of times, not sure though)

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

8 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

I don´t think they will move away from sandbox, they will simply add a storyline with an ending. And that´s what the balance is about. We do lack challenge in mid and late game. A gun on a vehicle would make this even more easy. Imagine MP with the limited number of Z´s we are forced to have due to engine and hardware limitations and everyone driving around with this.

The "story" I suspect will just be notes left around to find ingame and kinda flesh it out yourself with the end game being to destroy one of the factions (talked about in some other post).

12 hours ago, Radford said:

I would NEVER! I will have very harsh things to say to the modder who gives me air-bombing capability in the gyro. Very harsh things, indeed! I'm warning all you advanced modders...don't make that mod. Don't make me hurt you with my words.

On 5/19/2022 at 7:03 PM, Northern lights said:

How would u all feel about a mounted mini gun for the truck box that would consume ammo from the drivers inventory.  Or a land mine deployer that deploys mines from behind.    This is a suggestion to the fun pimps

While the idea of it is intriguing and makes a part of me go hellz yeah, the gaming side of me wants to know in what type of scenario would having this be practical?

Also consider who would and how to use. MP: the passenger, of course. SP: Uhmm... - Driver is driving and if shooting can only shoot forward to keep driving. If it's said to stop vehicle to shoot, the need for gun is moot except for the "it's neat" factor. Yes you can detach camera to look around and continue to drive (operating gun would be similar experience I'm guessing), but that driving is limited to a very straight line and short bursts to avoid collision. 

Ever Yeet Yourself off a cliff because you weren't looking in front of you? I have and hoo boy.... 

Ever get suddenly and totally stopped by a shopping cart because it's made out of materials only found in the 5th dimension? 

Ever turn a corner and find yourself in the middle of a poi yard or down one of those new fancy ditches?  

Not trying to down your idea, just thinking and looking past the "it would be fun" factor by asking, how would that fun be implemented and what could be a barricade to that fun factor. I can totally see it for MP, but as a SP, I would want that fun too.... 

Edited by Jinx_DG
Don't judge me... (see edit history)

18 hours ago, Radford said:

Weaponry on vehicles sounds fun to me.

I think riding the back of a Kaiju though Navesgane while firing quad missile turrets sounds like it's a fun idea as well, but its nothing I'd ever want actually implemented.

There's nothing wrong with your opinion, but I forsee it adding a jumble of problems without actually adding anything other than the fun factor.