20.4 new mod folder location

KhaineGB

3 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

So it doesn´t change to appdata in 20.4 anymore now?

From the patch notes:

Mods are now loaded from <UserDataFolder>/Mods (i.e. the folder that also stores saves, e.g. on Windows %APPDATA%/7DaysToDie/Mods) in addition to <game folder>/Mods. In a future build this will change to only load from that new location so no data is written/changed in the program folder at any time. 

emphasis added

Had to dust off my account just to respond to this.

I really hope this is a temporary decision that is reverted before this release goes public or at the very least continues to use the current method (and not temporary as indicated) and the %appdata% is only used by whatever is making them to make this change. (seen several theories in this post)

%appdata% is already a cluster fudge of a folder in general and is already bloated beyond belief by many other games/apps that store tons of crap in it. 

And while I am a technical person who can easily navigate through it, and follow previously provided instructions to maintain multiple mods setups for different versions by updating the configs, it is going to be significantly more of a hassle for the non-experienced folks trying to manage multiple mods/versions or even just install mods in the first place. 

Please please please!! rethink this choice! 

Is the mods loaded at runtime going to be configurable so it can be world / save / install specific?

Or will I have to use the same mods for every 7D2D save (local / network)?

Or will a way be added to choose which mods are loaded? (ie in the UI and server config)

I try different mods on my local game each in its own seperate install folder.

This makes it easier to try and delete the mods when finished with them.

I also run multiple worlds of 7D2D on a dedicated server, some moded, some not.

Ark uses a mod folder, but the UI allows the user to select mods per save (and the server config has a list of mods to load).

Conan Exiles has a config file with a list of full paths to the mods to be loaded (usually from Steams 'Workshop\Content' folder).

9 hours ago, FinkPloyd said:

Is the mods loaded at runtime going to be configurable so it can be world / save / install specific?

Or will I have to use the same mods for every 7D2D save (local / network)?

Or will a way be added to choose which mods are loaded? (ie in the UI and server config)

I try different mods on my local game each in its own seperate install folder.

This makes it easier to try and delete the mods when finished with them.

I also run multiple worlds of 7D2D on a dedicated server, some moded, some not.

Ark uses a mod folder, but the UI allows the user to select mods per save (and the server config has a list of mods to load).

Conan Exiles has a config file with a list of full paths to the mods to be loaded (usually from Steams 'Workshop\Content' folder).

Yeah, which is using the Workshop. Something that is planned, but not yet implemented. Mods are stored in the steamapps workshop folder, not on your appdata.

On 4/14/2022 at 5:07 PM, SylenThunder said:

SUCCESS!!

Ok so I tested it, and it worked perfectly. Unfortunately it is again something that some people will not be able to accomplish. (Khaine isn't kidding about people incapable of simply copying files out of a zip into the mod folder. I spent a few hours the other day with someone on the exact same thing.)

Step 1 - Copy/rename serverconfig.xml. For this example I am using "a20serverconfig.xml". You want the file different so it isn't reset with an update.

Step 2 - Edit the file to replace the following section starting at line 40.

<!-- Folder and file locations -->
	<property name="AdminFileName"					value="serveradmin.xml"/>	<!-- Server admin file name. Path relative to the SaveGameFolder -->
	<!-- <property name="UserDataFolder"				value="absolute path" /> -->	<!-- Use this to override where the server stores all generated data, including RWG generated worlds. Do not forget to uncomment the entry! -->
	<!-- <property name="SaveGameFolder"				value="absolute path" /> -->	<!-- Use this to only override the save game path. Do not forget to uncomment the entry! -->

Your new section will look something like this...

<!-- Folder and file locations -->
	<property name="AdminFileName"					value="serveradmin.xml"/>	<!-- Server admin file name. Path relative to the SaveGameFolder -->
	<property name="UserDataFolder"				value="D:\SaveGames\a20" /> -->	<!-- Use this to override where the server stores all generated data, including RWG generated worlds. Do not forget to uncomment the entry! -->
	<property name="SaveGameFolder"				value="D:\SaveGames\a20\Saves" /> -->	<!-- Use this to only override the save game path. Do not forget to uncomment the entry! -->

Step 3 - Create the folder D:\SaveGames\a20\Mods

Step 4 - Go to your Steam Library, Right-click on 7 Days, and choose Properties.

Step 5 - Add the following to your launch options. -configfile=a20serverconfig.xml (Again, your file will vary on what you name it. This is the example.)

30b86457db2b0ca5010e677cb442a85c.png

Step 6 - Close the window, and start the game.

Now I can just use the config file in each separate folder, and tell the client where to go for all the data. No symlinks required. 

A couple questions.

For normal purposes you only need to change UserDataFolder in the serverconfig file as that will include the save game folder. Does this workaround require SaveGameFolder to be set explicitly to work?

As far as I know, if you set the configfile path in launch options it is only used if you run the copy of the game steam knows about and not modded copies of  the game. Would you not have to add the option to the properties in a shortcut to the modded games? I've been using this method for some time now to run multiple modded games with separate worlds and save folders.

Been looking into how to change the default location of the users folder from C:\users to something else.

Not easy.  That's on MS.

Linux, well, you can set the /home to anywhere you want during installation.  (I generally have a separate drive/partition for that)

Steamworkshop mods yup, going into their workshop folder, where ever  you put steam.

I just hope there is an option added in the menus of 7DTD to change the locations.

Put it under advanced etc.

Anyone not using mods won't care. Those who do use mods, will generally look into settings somewhere.

(how many people using mods for steam games know where the mods for each game are?)

/shrug.

13 minutes ago, seven said:

A couple questions.

For normal purposes you only need to change UserDataFolder in the serverconfig file as that will include the save game folder. Does this workaround require SaveGameFolder to be set explicitly to work?

As far as I know, if you set the configfile path in launch options it is only used if you run the copy of the game steam knows about and not modded copies of  the game. Would you not have to add the option to the properties in a shortcut to the modded games? I've been using this method for some time now to run multiple modded games with separate worlds and save folders.

For your modded clients, just add the argument to your shortcut. 

For example, here's mine for Darkness Fals.

163e4ec8d9f4521a1e376d71b7632e30.png

3 minutes ago, SylenThunder said:

Yes, as I mentioned that's what I do. Just clarifying if only setting it in launch options was not sufficient.

Piggybacking off this topic because it is somewhat related.

Thank you Pimps for also forcing ALL screenshots you take in game no matter WHAT FOLDER you start the game from to also appear in the AppData/Roaming folder in ONE OVERALL FOLDER.

Makes people who take screens from different mods and servers THAT much more frustrating. At this point I am ready to just move on from this game. The headaches and constant anti-modder sentiment over the years just do not feel worth it anymore.

PLEASE rethink these decisions. First time I have ever regretted opting into an experimental.

Edited by JaxTeller718 (see edit history)

1 minute ago, JaxTeller718 said:

Thank you Pimps for also forcing ALL screenshots you take in game no matter WHAT FOLDER you start the game from to also appear in the AppData/Roaming folder in ONE OVERALL FOLDER.

Makes people who take screens from different mods and servers THAT much more frustrating. At this point I am ready to just move on from this game. The headaches and constant anti-modder sentiment over the years just do not feel wort it anymore.

PLEASE rethink these decisions.

After adding workbench it will be fine- probably it will be working like mount and blade modules . Just wait 2-3 years

24 minutes ago, JaxTeller718 said:

Makes people who take screens from different mods and servers THAT much more frustrating. At this point I am ready to just move on from this game. The headaches and constant anti-modder sentiment over the years just do not feel worth it anymore.

PLEASE rethink these decisions. First time I have ever regretted opting into an experimental.

I just use F12 for screenshots.

10 minutes ago, JaxTeller718 said:

I also know how to access AppData and play no other mods so I can just use that going forward for myself. Still an unnecessary change.

Oh I agree. I just always use ShareX because I needed to for work purposes, so it's force of habit now :)

10 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

OK, I admit I am not the sharpest crayon in the box when it comes to coding, I'm a level 60 gamer who managed to teach himself just enough to be dangerous to his game stability with mods in The Elder Scrolls and Fallout franchises.  With 7DtD, I've actually dug into the nuts and bolts of Xpath and .xml modding so I am REALLY dangerous to my games.  💯  🤣

That being the case, I want to make sure I am following this train of action correctly.
#1 - I make a "Whateverserverconfig.xml" file for each individual mod collection I want to use.  Say DFserverconfig for Darkness Fall, RFserverconfig for Ravenhearst, ULserverconfig for Undead Legacy...
#2 - I make a SaveWhatever folder to put the \Mods for *that* collection in, and direct the "Whateverserverconfig.xml" to point to that save game location.
#3 - Then I make a shortcut on the desktop for each of those collections, and point it to the "Whateverserverconfig.xml" that has been created for that collection. So there would be a Darkness Falls shortcut, a Ravenhearst shortcut, an Undead Legacy shortcut, etc.

The game would run off of the default Steam location (or the Steam Library location if not installed on the main \C: drive).  But it would pull the \Mods folder from the SaveWhatever folder that the "Whateverserverconfig.xml" directs the game to use as the save location.

Am I following that correctly?  It's a hella PITA way to do things, but I think I can handle it if I sussed it out right.

45 minutes ago, Evil_Geoff said:

OK, I admit I am not the sharpest crayon in the box when it comes to coding, I'm a level 60 gamer who managed to teach himself just enough to be dangerous to his game stability with mods in The Elder Scrolls and Fallout franchises.  With 7DtD, I've actually dug into the nuts and bolts of Xpath and .xml modding so I am REALLY dangerous to my games.  💯  🤣

That being the case, I want to make sure I am following this train of action correctly.
#1 - I make a "Whateverserverconfig.xml" file for each individual mod collection I want to use.  Say DFserverconfig for Darkness Fall, RFserverconfig for Ravenhearst, ULserverconfig for Undead Legacy...
#2 - I make a SaveWhatever folder to put the \Mods for *that* collection in, and direct the "Whateverserverconfig.xml" to point to that save game location.
#3 - Then I make a shortcut on the desktop for each of those collections, and point it to the "Whateverserverconfig.xml" that has been created for that collection. So there would be a Darkness Falls shortcut, a Ravenhearst shortcut, an Undead Legacy shortcut, etc.

The game would run off of the default Steam location (or the Steam Library location if not installed on the main \C: drive).  But it would pull the \Mods folder from the SaveWhatever folder that the "Whateverserverconfig.xml" directs the game to use as the save location.

Am I following that correctly?  It's a hella PITA way to do things, but I think I can handle it if I sussed it out right.

Yep, that's basically it.  I posted the detailed steps earlier here.

You can add them to Steam too as a non-steam game, and that will give you the full Steam overlay integration.

On 4/15/2022 at 6:47 PM, redneckraccoon said:

this sounds like you're assuming the mod launcher will always be there. from what i understand, that is made and supported by a user who has no obligation to keep it working if they choose to quit entirely.

Why shouldn't a forum user tell another forum user that some software would help him with mod installation, at least for the time being? (Not that that time is even here, at the moment nothing needs to be done, earliest possible(*) time for even giving that advice would be in half a year)

(*) not really possible in say A20.5, because they surely won't needlessly break their own rule to only backport compatible changes)

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

Stating the obvious: The most simple solution for TFP going forward would be to just NOT make the future switch to only read from one location, i.e. stop right at the change implemented in A20.4.

Now Khaine proposed the change may have been neccessary to get into the xbox store (and therefore is a requirement by Microsoft).  Does anyone know if this again might be a requirement for crossplay with a future xbox console version?