Is it supposed to work like this?

james anderson

Just finished my first tier 3 job line and took the motorcycle kit. Except zero motorcycle parts, just engine, battery and tires. I noticed the minibike had no handle bars, but decided to press on for the motorcycle, only to find it worse. Other than profit(which, admittedly, has it's uses) this seems a lot of wasted time when the only parts given as a reward could have been  more easily salvaged from a car.

That's weird.  We've not taken the those bundles in our map but I've watched streamers play and they always get something like handlebars, chassis, and wheels so all they need to provide is the engine and tires.  I wonder if it's random what you get and RNGesus just sent you to the Shadow Realm. 

It's random

You will always get tires

And the rest of the parts there will be two but evenly randomized

<item name="questRewardMinibikePartsBundle">
    <property name="Extends" value="noteTestersDelightAdmin"/>
    <property name="CreativeMode" value="Player"/>
    <property name="CustomIcon" value="bundleVehicleMiniBike"/>
    <property name="CustomIconTint" value="FFFFFF"/>
    <property name="ItemTypeIcon" value="bundle"/>
    <property name="DescriptionKey" value="questRewardVechileBundleDesc"/>
    <property class="Action0">
        <property name="Create_item" value="vehicleWheels"/>
        <property name="Create_item_count" value="2"/>
        <property name="Random_item" value="smallEngine,carBattery,vehicleMinibikeChassis,vehicleMinibikeHandlebars"/>
        <property name="Random_item_count" value="1,1,1,1,1"/>
        <property name="Random_count" value="2"/>
        <property name="Unique_random_only" value="true"/>
    </property>
</item>

<item name="questRewardMotorcyclePartsBundle">
    <property name="CustomIcon" value="bundleVehicleMotorCycle"/>
        <property name="Random_item" value="smallEngine,carBattery,vehicleMotorcycleChassis,vehicleMotorcycleHandlebars"/>
    </property>
</item>

1 hour ago, BFT2020 said:

It's random

You will always get tires

And the rest of the parts there will be two but evenly randomized

<item name="questRewardMinibikePartsBundle">
    <property name="CustomIcon" value="bundleVehicleMiniBike"/>
        <property name="Random_item" value="smallEngine,carBattery,vehicleMinibikeChassis,vehicleMinibikeHandlebars"/>
    </property>
</item>

<item name="questRewardMotorcyclePartsBundle">
    <property name="CustomIcon" value="bundleVehicleMotorCycle"/>
        <property name="Random_item" value="smallEngine,carBattery,vehicleMotorcycleChassis,vehicleMotorcycleHandlebars"/>
    </property>
</item>

Unfortunately that's why I stopped taking them. Nothing like taking a minibike over the nailgun and not getting any of the parts for the minibike. So not only do I waste a nailgun, but I don't even have a minibike to my name.

I got very lucky the first time and received a full minibike so I thought it was supposed to work that way. They should really provide values in-game about % chances, or what's in the current bundle.

I always take them, just because they always have wheels which is the hardest part. Acid is so rare these days. But if I really wanted a vehicle, it's not many points in Grease Monkey to get the rest of the parts.

Nail gun? Yes, I do regret not getting one, and 20 days later, I still don't have one. But a claw hammer is half as good, where as a push bike is not half as good as a minibike.

2 hours ago, Darklegend222 said:

Unfortunately that's why I stopped taking them. Nothing like taking a minibike over the nailgun and not getting any of the parts for the minibike. So not only do I waste a nailgun, but I don't even have a minibike to my name.

lol..its all free stuff we never got before when finishing a full tier of quests. In A19 you never got any portion of a minibike or a nailgun as an extra reward above and beyond the individual quest rewards. 

Look how fast the traders corrupt us... ;)

I wouldn't have any problem with that if it was clear that you can get the whole thing, but you are not guaranteed to.

I don't know. Maybe it was done to motivate you to do quests for different traders and assemble your vehicle that way, but considering that being mobile is quite important in this game, I still find that investing points and doing it yourself is a more viable way to do it.

3 hours ago, BarryTGash said:

Meh, the expectation is in the name. Just rename the kits if they're not guaranteed to contain at least one specific component of the item they pertain to be for: Vehicle Kit I, II, III etc.

How about not calling it the "Specific Motorcycle KIT". Then it should be all clear, right? 😁

Not that your idea of calling it Vehicle Kit is bad, it actually makes sense, but people who are after specific vehicles would need to guess to choose the right kit.

Really the only ones who did get confused where the super-lucky ones who got all the gated components in one go the first time. All others got a mixed bag the first time and were happy to have a chance at finding or buying just the missing parts instead of a complete vehicle

But I agree that the ones who only got motors, batteries and wheels might feel as if they had lost a winning lottery ticket in a gully

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

If I was buying (or receiving) a kit, my assumption would be that I have everything in that package necessary to build the item.  Bundle just means that I am going to get parts that are needed to build one, but not necessary have all the parts in that bundle to do so.

Yeah I don't think its a "what the rewards ARE" problem, I think it's a "how the rewards are communicated" problem. The first time I took a kit and didn't get any of the pieces I would have thought would have been in a kit was definitely a bit of a rude awakening as to what the words "[specific vehicle] kit" actually means, and that it doesn't mean getting pieces to that specific vehicle.

Still, the vehicle kits are the only bundles I take anymore, just because they seem to have guaranteed wheels and wheels are strangely rare. Of all the gamey things in this gamey game (most of which I enjoy and think are good) the fact that you don't get wheels from wheels has always felt weird and bad, but at least the kits mean you can get some when there's no other way, since every single vehicle requires them it sucks to be perma-slowed due to rng. So I'm definitely super glad they got added, but do think its a bit weird when they don't contain vehicle pieces (chassis/accessories).

If I could make a request, though, I would love it if there was a chance of getting an extra seat or something from these kits, because those seats are so much fun in multiplayer and so very hard to get otherwise. I'd take every single kit for a chance at on of those!

Edited by GlyphGryph (see edit history)

10 hours ago, Darklegend222 said:

I got very lucky the first time and received a full minibike so I thought it was supposed to work that way. They should really provide values in-game about % chances, or what's in the current bundle.

For me, it is always about what I need.  Even though it is not guaranteed to get all the parts necessary to build a minibike or a motorcycle, I will take the kit if I

• Don't have wheels and need them (guaranteed to get 2 from the bikes, 3 from the gyro, and 4 from the 4x4)
  • Have a chance to get what I need on the remaining two items

I don't feel that we need to have a guarantee to get all the parts just because we took the bundle as a mission reward.   There are ways to get to the motorized vehicles besides getting a bundle that has all the parts we would need

• Loot drops for the parts
  • Sold by traders
  • Loot drops for recipes
  • Unlock the recipes via the Grease Monkey perk line

The nail gun is always a quality of life improvement for me, but I never felt the need to go get it right away if I already have or can make a hammer myself.

One thing about the these bundles is that you can have multiple chances of getting it.  Since you now have to clear out lower tier quests for new (different) traders, you have another opportunity of selecting the minibike kit if it is offered to you after completing the T1 quests for that new trader.

The only thing is that (from a quest standpoint) those are the only opportunities and you have to be lucky twice (once to have it offered and once to have the parts inside that you need).  One thing you could do is offer it as a chance in completing the higher tier mission rewards.  So for example, the minibike bundle could be offered as a T3 mission reward since it is one of the reward options once you completed 7 T2 quests for the trader.

However, none of this would be acceptable if one wants a guarantee to get all the parts.

29 minutes ago, GlyphGryph said:

If I could make a request, though, I would love it if there was a chance of getting an extra seat or something from these kits, because those seats are so much fun in multiplayer and so very hard to get otherwise. I'd take every single kit for a chance at on of those!

Interesting thing is that the vehicle mods and the drone mods are never offered as a chance of a mission reward for the tier completion (same thing with armor mods).  The only potential mods you can get as rewards are ranged and melee weapons.  I think part of this is how much work has to go into the loot / trader rewards system as it has been a patchwork over the years and schwanz9000 is working on updating / clearing out legacy code that system so we can expect changes.

25 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

For me, it is always about what I need.  Even though it is not guaranteed to get all the parts necessary to build a minibike or a motorcycle, I will take the kit if I

• Don't have wheels and need them (guaranteed to get 2 from the bikes, 3 from the gyro, and 4 from the 4x4)
  • Have a chance to get what I need on the remaining two items

I don't feel that we need to have a guarantee to get all the parts just because we took the bundle as a mission reward.   There are ways to get to the motorized vehicles besides getting a bundle that has all the parts we would need

• Loot drops for the parts
  • Sold by traders
  • Loot drops for recipes
  • Unlock the recipes via the Grease Monkey perk line

The nail gun is always a quality of life improvement for me, but I never felt the need to go get it right away if I already have or can make a hammer myself.

One thing about the these bundles is that you can have multiple chances of getting it.  Since you now have to clear out lower tier quests for new (different) traders, you have another opportunity of selecting the minibike kit if it is offered to you after completing the T1 quests for that new trader.

The only thing is that (from a quest standpoint) those are the only opportunities and you have to be lucky twice (once to have it offered and once to have the parts inside that you need).  One thing you could do is offer it as a chance in completing the higher tier mission rewards.  So for example, the minibike bundle could be offered as a T3 mission reward since it is one of the reward options once you completed 7 T2 quests for the trader.

However, none of this would be acceptable if one wants a guarantee to get all the parts.

Don't get me wrong, I'm okay with the random chances remaining as they are. Though they should better specify it as a chance drop, to avoid threads and confusion like these.