———AIRPORT———

saoron666

@Roland @saoron666 @Riamus @zztong @Tallman Brad @Naz @canadianbluebeer @Jason Tamosiunis @8_Hussars @Rotor @paulj_3 et all

It is done! I have solved the critical issues and have distributed the map with the airport named Navezgane Regional Airport

Download it, and try it for yourself! Remember that you'll have to unzip the files and place them in your 7 Days to Die user folder (Windows) typically found at

C:/Users/USERNAME/AppData/Roaming/7DaysToDie

On 2/15/2023 at 1:06 PM, AH64_Jimbo said:

@saoron666 You want an airport? You got it! I've nearly finished adding an airport to a vanilla-generated 10K map.

Featuring

* Dozens of new prefabs including;

- Two types of crashed aircraft that can be found in the wilderness

- Runways and taxiways with appropriate markings

- Two Tier 1 POI aircraft

- Two Tier 2 POI aircraft

- One Tier 3 POI aircraft

- One Hangar POI, of which there are 3 placed instances on this map

- Remnant Hangar

- Remnant Aircraft

- Back-to-back connected Concourse-halves, each half being a Tier 4 POI in their own right

- A Giant Tier 5 Terminal POI that is about 50% bigger than Dishong Tower (Though Dishong Tower still holds the record for tallest POI)

There is a hitch; I've run into a game-breaking problem where the nearby trader stops giving quests. More details on that in this post.

I'm working on getting the issue sorted, though. In the meantime, enjoy these screenshots!

@AH64_Jimbo OMG bro!!!! thats insane! when is it available? so much details , never thought this can come true!!  , didnt make sense a city without an airport.. 

On 2/25/2023 at 9:17 AM, AH64_Jimbo said:

@Roland @saoron666 @Riamus @zztong @Tallman Brad @Naz @canadianbluebeer @Jason Tamosiunis @8_Hussars @Rotor @paulj_3 et all

It is done! I have solved the critical issues and have distributed the map with the airport named Navezgane Regional Airport

Download it, and try it for yourself! Remember that you'll have to unzip the files and place them in your 7 Days to Die user folder (Windows) typically found at

C:/Users/USERNAME/AppData/Roaming/7DaysToDie

I was so excited that i didnt see this post saying it done! i will give it a try tonight for sure! XD cant wait to try it out.. wanna call in sick and leave work hahaha

1 hour ago, warmer said:

Does that span more than 1 chunk? It looks huge and I wonder how that works when it crossed over into other load zones

Normal settings will load more than one chunk at a time to avoid issues with a POI placed over the edge of a chunk.  I forget the exact number, but I've seen something like 3 or 4 in the logs.  But in this case, the airport is many different POI made into a single entity, so you won't have any more trouble with this than a town.

That being said, there are issues with very large POI that may relate to chunks.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

On 3/2/2023 at 12:06 PM, dbryson said:

Nice!  I checked this out briefly yesterday and it looks very cool.  I haven't played the game with it yet, doing quests, etc., but I am looking forward to trying that soon.  Thanks!  

You are welcome. I'm glad that I could share it with the community. Please feel free to leave feedback; What do you like? What do you feel could use some improvement? Do you have any other questions or comments?

In the future I hope to expand by adding more and varied POIs and also try to integrate airports into Random World Generation (RWG).

On 3/2/2023 at 4:49 PM, Riamus said:

Normal settings will load more than one chunk at a time to avoid issues with a POI placed over the edge of a chunk.  I forget the exact number, but I've seen something like 3 or 4 in the logs.  But in this case, the airport is many different POI made into a single entity, so you won't have any more trouble with this than a town.

@warmer Riamus is exactly right.

The airport spans many, many chunks. I can't remember how many chunks exactly, but I can tell you that the terminal and concourse itself sit on two 150 x 150 RWG tiles. That's 300 x 150 blocks (or meters). The terminal, concourse and gated aircraft are comprised of another 9 different, inter-connected POIs. That's not even counting the tarmac, hangars, taxiways and runways!

Fortunately, distant terrain and POIs are handled by "imposters" that show up from a distance until the POI loads up. Gives the illusion of one continuous, giant building from afar, and you can hardly tell any difference from inside the terminal and concourse.

Edited by AH64_Jimbo (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2022 at 8:31 AM, AH64_Jimbo said:

This is exactly how I would design an airport; Make it a special type of settlement or town, which would have to be generated in a specific way. In fact, I have already been making a series of airport POI's. So far I have over a dozen POI's created including a terminal, two parts for a concourse, five airliners at gates, a vacant gate, two RWG tiles to put it together and more. Put together it looks something like this;

20221017164633_1.thumb.jpg.df22b387e67dcb54b995ca1f0c9ad8bb.jpg

I'm hoping to continue on and create an entire airport over time. If you like what you see, check out some more of my Steam screenshots;

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197966986156/screenshots/

I wonder if the FPs hire out POI creators, as this would be a cool ALL NEW POI to explore. I can not even imagine the amount of time that went into this. I have a very large base and its nothing compared to this.

Great creation!

5 hours ago, bobrpggamer said:

I wonder if the FPs hire out POI creators, as this would be a cool ALL NEW POI to explore. I can not even imagine the amount of time that went into this. I have a very large base and its nothing compared to this.

Great creation!

Thank you very much! I would very much like to see this airport or one like it in the base game of 7 Days To Die.

Admittedly I've worked on and off with this airport for over a year; Since shortly after Alpha 20 dropped. I wish to continue on and make more and varied POIs, maybe add another pre-gen map or two and ultimately get the airport to work with Random World Generation. That last bit has been a challenge, though, and I've been working with other creators here like Riamus and zztong to solve the RWG issue. Still, TFP developer support would make this easier.

Thanks again for checking out my airport, and if you know anyone that you think might enjoy this tell them that they can Download it and try it out for themselves. I'm always interested to hear feedback; What do you like the most about the airport? What do you feel could use some improvement? Any additional questions or comments? I'm always looking to refine my prefabs. Happy Hunting!

On 3/17/2023 at 4:52 AM, AH64_Jimbo said:

Thank you very much! I would very much like to see this airport or one like it in the base game of 7 Days To Die.

Admittedly I've worked on and off with this airport for over a year; Since shortly after Alpha 20 dropped. I wish to continue on and make more and varied POIs, maybe add another pre-gen map or two and ultimately get the airport to work with Random World Generation. That last bit has been a challenge, though, and I've been working with other creators here like Riamus and zztong to solve the RWG issue. Still, TFP developer support would make this easier.

Thanks again for checking out my airport, and if you know anyone that you think might enjoy this tell them that they can Download it and try it out for themselves. I'm always interested to hear feedback; What do you like the most about the airport? What do you feel could use some improvement? Any additional questions or comments? I'm always looking to refine my prefabs. Happy Hunting!

Riamus know a lot about teragon (he's helped me with it). Could you add your airport in a random teragon map. I think you can add your own POIs. Its not RWG from the FPs but It has a tendency to be a lot better than the vanilla RWG.

Edited by bobrpggamer (see edit history)

9 hours ago, bobrpggamer said:

Could you add your airport in a random teragon map

Riamus had mentioned that as well. It should be straight forward to add the airport to a Teragon map, since my prefabs are designed to be modular. Trying to get the airport to work with Random Gen has been challenging, to say the least.  So I could shift gears and focus on adding the airport to a Teragon map.

9 hours ago, bobrpggamer said:

Riamus know a lot about teragon (he's helped me with it). Could you add your airport in a random teragon map. I think you can add your own POIs. Its not RWG from the FPs but It has a tendency to be a lot better than the vanilla RWG.

Teragon is not quite ready to place multi-tile POI like this airport on a random map.  It is coming, but not there yet.

1 hour ago, Riamus said:

Teragon is not quite ready to place multi-tile POI like this airport on a random map.  It is coming, but not there yet.

To be honest, I do not know the first thing about custom POIs and the RWG. I guess maybe it could be added in a list of possible POIs, but I really do not have a clue. I do remember a post or two from the terragon post that discussed adding custom POIs, but I still really do not know or have a clue how to do that and I do not even know how the tiles are made and how to alter that. I just roll the dice and hope for the best outcome for a teragon map.

Now if the fun pimps had any sense they would allow custom POIs to be a part of the game. It saves them time from making their own. I think the compopack being a thing means the fun pimps really do not care about other peoples custom work. Valve was good that way, they added custom maps to CSS and DOD, but that's Valve.

I get irritated with the lack of paint choices myself, but would love to make my own and add them to the game, but that seems like something else they do not want.

At least there's mods, some games do not even allow that at all, and modlets have to be the easiest way to add a mod to the game. Unlike Bethesda, in that you have load the mods in a specific order, and one thing goes wrong and the game stops working.

7 hours ago, bobrpggamer said:

To be honest, I do not know the first thing about custom POIs and the RWG. I guess maybe it could be added in a list of possible POIs, but I really do not have a clue. I do remember a post or two from the terragon post that discussed adding custom POIs, but I still really do not know or have a clue how to do that and I do not even know how the tiles are made and how to alter that. I just roll the dice and hope for the best outcome for a teragon map.

Now if the fun pimps had any sense they would allow custom POIs to be a part of the game. It saves them time from making their own. I think the compopack being a thing means the fun pimps really do not care about other peoples custom work. Valve was good that way, they added custom maps to CSS and DOD, but that's Valve.

I get irritated with the lack of paint choices myself, but would love to make my own and add them to the game, but that seems like something else they do not want.

At least there's mods, some games do not even allow that at all, and modlets have to be the easiest way to add a mod to the game. Unlike Bethesda, in that you have load the mods in a specific order, and one thing goes wrong and the game stops working.

Custom POIs can easily be added to the vanilla RWG maps.  Just place the mod or POI pack into your mods folder and make a map. Teragon needs a little more, but it is still easy once you understand what to do.

The issue with the airport is that it is not one POI.  It is many POI that have to be placed side by side in a specific order.  Random placement of POI, which is the normal way maps are made doesn't work in that regard because it isn't random.  Teragon will support grouping tiles into a specific way, though that is still in the works.  We hope that RWG will eventually allow such control as well, but no guarantees there.  Until then, the airport has to be placed manually.

I am not sure if paint choices can be added with a mod.  Everyone keeps asking for more and we keep being told there is limited space for different paints, though I really do think it is possible to increase that without significant changes. I'd personally make each paint they have a texture that then had a color applied to it similar to how they paint vehicles and color clothes, armor and weapons.  This way, instead of having a bunch of painted concrete options preventing space for other options, you have only one and can then color it from a list of colors.  But I don't know their code or how they set things up, so maybe it isn't an option at this point in development.  The biggest concern with this is that you are adding another byte of information to every side of every block on the map (minus terrain and certain blocks), so saves and maps would take up more space.

Edited by Riamus (see edit history)

9 hours ago, Riamus said:

I am not sure if paint choices can be added with a mod.  Everyone keeps asking for more and we keep being told there is limited space for different paints, though I really do think it is possible to increase that without significant changes. I'd personally make each paint they have a texture that then had a color applied to it similar to how they paint vehicles and color clothes, armor and weapons.  This way, instead of having a bunch of painted concrete options preventing space for other options, you have only one and can then color it from a list of colors.  But I don't know their code or how they set things up, so maybe it isn't an option at this point in development.  The biggest concern with this is that you are adding another byte of information to every side of every block on the map (minus terrain and certain blocks), so saves and maps would take up more space.

Well in 3D, both content creation (3DS Max, Maya) and 3D game engines, the so called textures (materials in 3DS Max) are made of a lot of attributes, such as diffuse color, reflections (that include the amount of gloss and or specular levels in Vray and similar), opacity, bump map (last time I checked normal maps were the thing) and others such as anisotropic levels, translucency so on. Now once those materials are made, the diffuse color can be any color in the color picker and it will not change the material properties just the color.

So I believe you are correct in thinking the colors should be pickable, because the material, which holds all the fun pimps attributes mentioned above, will not change, just the diffuse color. However we both do not know how the fun pimps code their materials, so it may seem easy but could require a lot of effort to change their base materials with different diffuse colors.

Your right about the dyes added to the game in whatever alpha it was, maybe 18 or 19. So if they can do that, I do not think adding dye to the base paint selector should be too difficult. Just collect dyes and add them to the paint bucket, in some sort of way. If you scrap dye you get paint, so the dyes are already related to the paint anyway. It also seems that it would require more code to add dyes to entities than adding color to blocks.

It would be nice, if the fun pimps would explain why we cannot get more color choices to paint blocks

Here's a color picker for lighting from a mod. Could the paint have colors to start with say white and then click advanced and have the color picker.

4MtQsqE.png

Sorry for derailing the original topic