Map Generation Questions

wicketness

The new maps feel so empty.

I have tried RWG and i have tried the new generation tool built in.

Is it possible to affect how large cities and towns are and how many?

I am aware in the tool there is an option for that. but it is not enough i am not interested in realism as this is a game.

I just want to be able to have 3-5 times more cities and towns, with a 10K map.

With multiple 20 player servers, cities and towns don't last very long and i have been forced to have 7 day loot respawn and in some cases 3 days.

I know 8 players is the max supported, 20 players seems to be the sweet spot for my group having a couple hundred zombies always running around.

I know there used to be a way with RWG but i haven't needed to try it manually within the Xml files.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm no RWG expert, but if I wanted to start playing with it, I'd open rwgmixer.xml and start experimenting. For example, maybe changing the "many" value from 4 to 6 and bumping up the "mintiles" and "maxtiles" values a bit. Start small and see how it performs would be my advice.

<property class="city">
            <property name="few" value="2"/>
            <property name="default" value="3"/>
            <property name="many" value="4"/>

<property name="mintiles" value="14"/>
            <property name="maxtiles" value="18"/>
        </property>

You might also look into KingGen, but I'm not sure its current status re: A20 compatibility. I used it for A19 and it was excellent.

Edited by Boidster (see edit history)

I've been trying to understand the advanced map generation option and I don't completely understand it yet.

There is a correlation between mountains and the polar biome. When I get rid of the mountains the polar biome is gone. Or minimal at best.  I made a map this morning and had one mountain, no cracks, no craters, and that yielded a polar biome but no Forest. The map was mostly wasteland.

I redid it with the same seed, no cracks, no craters, used the default three mountains. This time the map was half wasteland but I had a good sized forest biome and a polar biome. I decided to go with that.

4 hours ago, ElCabong said:

I've been trying to understand the advanced map generation option and I don't completely understand it yet.

There is a correlation between mountains and the polar biome. When I get rid of the mountains the polar biome is gone. Or minimal at best.  I made a map this morning and had one mountain, no cracks, no craters, and that yielded a polar biome but no Forest. The map was mostly wasteland.

I redid it with the same seed, no cracks, no craters, used the default three mountains. This time the map was half wasteland but I had a good sized forest biome and a polar biome. I decided to go with that.

Only the Seed value and the size affects the biome distribution.   you could make hundreds of variations with that same seed and size(changing various sliders up and down) and that would not zero effect on how the biomes a generated.    Now depending on various factors, it WOULD reduce or expand the size of cities and where they are.   City tiles will "very" slightly clip into some mountains and hills, but not replace them and the POI's(meaning cities and finally wilderness) are the VERY last thing placed(well technically roads are last).   Therefore, if you have more mountains and hills, you will by definition be likely to have smaller cites, more spread out cities, or both.

This is one of the reasons I make mine with 8 plains/3 hills/1 mountain as I generally like that ratio.  The "defaults" are FAR to mountainous for my personal taste.

EDIT: oh one other thing I JUST found out, cities are NOT allowed to cross biomes, so that ALSO makes them smaller when it comes to a collision with a mountain or other terrain feature that blocks cities.

Edited by JoeDaFrogman (see edit history)

I would already be happy if we could finally get a guaranteed spawn of all T5 POI´s. It´s so annoying having to generate a ton of maps until you finally get one where there is at least one of every T5.

Really hope Kingslayer finds some time soon to make KingGen for A20 happen.

7 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Really hope Kingslayer finds some time soon to make KingGen for A20 happen.

Yea, I was really really hoping that vanilla map generator would negate the need for a third party world builder but that turned out to just not be the case at all. It puts in far too few "cities" or "towns" and there's not enough control for biomes.

• 2 weeks later...

Using the advanced generation, I successfully created a game for myself (one person) and one for multiplayer with a friend.  Since then all attempts to use the generation has resulted in red place names and it is unable to create any game.  I also get "This specific random world already exists"  when it is not one of the two I currently have active.  Another error message I get is "Selected world is not playable."   Never had these problems in the past

1.  In V20 Is there a limit to how many games you can generate at one time?  In V18 and 19 I had up to a dozen games going with various friends (I have over 8,.000 hours in 7Days).

2.  Can anyone spot with I might be doing wrong?  Is there some way of deleting worlds I created in the past (on V18 or 19) without deleting the two games I currently have?

3.  What does "Selected world is not playable" mean and how can I fix that?

The game allows you to generate many RWG maps.  The game also allows a player to have multiple play throughs for any given map.  The key is you have to have a different name for each "play through" hence why it in shows red.

Just change up the name and give it a go.

As for previous Alpha's saved games see the big blue banner at the top of the forum. (just stash them somewhere else). 

Thank you 8.  I had deleted the V18 and 19 games, but like to drive through the countryside and thus made perhaps 15 to 20 V20 games without playing them.  I have since found a solution in another post, but that means a total wipe-out, and i do want to save the games I am currently playing with friends.  I will wait for V21, whenever that might happen, and do another total wipe at that time.    I'm fine with your reply and my current situation.  As you might notice, I spend my time playing (3 years on 7 Days and no other game has attracted me), and generally do not post here, but that might change. 

Thank you for your kindness.