crops are broken

Phoenyx1

6 hours ago, pahbi said:

Its one thing to lose crops and have things be difficult in the beginning, but by the end game, the player should reach a point where farming is mastered and crops no longer require much effort to maintain.

you mean by day 14? I can get to 10 fort by day 14 easy and have plenty of points to spread around still. I actually find myself buying vegetables from traders now instead of throwing them away. Seeds are more common in loot now and most of the time I save them instead of throwing them away now.

33 minutes ago, myrkana said:

you mean by day 14? I can get to 10 fort by day 14 easy and have plenty of points to spread around still. I actually find myself buying vegetables from traders now instead of throwing them away. Seeds are more common in loot now and most of the time I save them instead of throwing them away now.

If only the rest of us could be so awesome....

For the OP, I don't know if this will help or not, but I uploaded a couple mods that will make crops much easier to deal with.

https://community.7daystodie.com/topic/26048-a20-modlets-lotl-perk-fast-plant-growth-super-iron-pickaxe/

Edited by pahbi (see edit history)

13 hours ago, meganoth said:

You might want to check out Undead Legacy for a more realistic weight system.

And Darkness Falls has water irrigation.

There once was a mod that even had locusts, but it was abandoned years ago.

Yeah, I've played both of those mods, the weight thing would be a nice option to turn on and off in vanilla (although it would, like UL, require each item to have a weight associated with it) and while DF does expand the farming/cooking, but it doesn't change the fundamental game loop surrounding it.

Obviously we need glowing rabbits and chickens coming for our crops irregularly.  Make us secure our farms with traps and shotgun to put the food supply at risk and then set the return value higher for the time investment without those precious skill points being wasted on farming skills.

A small horde night with dozens of glowing rabbits coming to wipe out your food sources if you are not there to defend it.  Setup auto-turrets and spikes or grab your guns, the lepus are coming.

Night-of-the-Lepus.jpg

10 hours ago, pahbi said:

... but by the end game, the player should reach a point where farming is mastered and crops no longer require much effort to maintain.

And that is how A20 works, with level 3 LotL there is very little effort required to have a very productive farm.

... but by the end game, the player should reach a point where farming is mastered and crops no longer require much effort to maintain.

And that is how A20 works, with level 3 LotL there is very little effort required to have a very productive farm.

34 minutes ago, Orclover said:

Yea but its just a point sink unless your build was going for that stat anyways.

You also now open up additional perk levels in the Huntsman, Pain Tolerance, Healing Factor, Cardio, and Slow metabolism which are beneficial to non-Fort players.

If you don't want to spend those additional points in LotL (and Fort), then you will just be limited to Perk 1 LotL and harvesting 4 / harvest.  Yes you can't create a self sustaining farm, but every seed you find either via traders or loot is 4 addition food for you (at a minimum) with a 50% chance of another harvest.

Overall, I feel people want a no (or little) cost self-sustaining farm while A20 has brought changes that now forces a cost for this self-sustaining farm.  Personally, I love these changes to the farming mechanic in 7D2D.

22 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

If you don't want to spend those additional points in LotL (and Fort), then you will just be limited to Perk 1 LotL and harvesting 4 / harvest.  Yes you can't create a self sustaining farm, but every seed you find either via traders or loot is 4 addition food for you (at a minimum) with a 50% chance of another harvest.

The problem is that we keep trusting people who haven't actually played with LOTL 1 and just read the changelog and then proclaimed that it is impossible to create a self sustaining farm at LOTL 1. I too was guilty of repeating this claim.

Turns out I was wrong. It has been proven now through gameplay that it is actually very difficult to have a farm fail (given that you start with about 10 seeds) and actually quite doable to maintain and even increase the size of your farm. It is a lot slower than it used to be and takes more seasons and due to needing a good seed base to start and be successful it probably can't be started on day 1.

But the word is that all this talk about not being able to keep and maintain a farm that produces crops for food and to maintain itself unless you spend skill points all the way to LOTL 3 is just a big false belief.

18 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

You also now open up additional perk levels in the Huntsman, Pain Tolerance, Healing Factor, Cardio, and Slow metabolism which are beneficial to non-Fort players.

If you don't want to spend those additional points in LotL (and Fort), then you will just be limited to Perk 1 LotL and harvesting 4 / harvest.  Yes you can't create a self sustaining farm,

Et tu Brute ?

Is this a forum of social scientists and linguists? Please chant after me
"LotL 1 is wonderful, LotL 1 is nice, soon you'll have gathered your seeds twice" 😉

18 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

but every seed you find either via traders or loot is 4 addition food for you (at a minimum) with a 50% chance of another harvest.

Overall, I feel people want a no (or little) cost self-sustaining farm while A20 has brought changes that now forces a cost for this self-sustaining farm.  Personally, I love these changes to the farming mechanic in 7D2D.

5 minutes ago, Roland said:

The problem is that we keep trusting people who haven't actually played with LOTL 1 and just read the changelog and then proclaimed that it is impossible to create a self sustaining farm at LOTL 1. I too was guilty of repeating this claim.

Turns out I was wrong. It has been proven now through gameplay that it is actually very difficult to have a farm fail (given that you start with about 10 seeds) and actually quite doable to maintain and even increase the size of your farm. It is a lot slower than it used to be and takes more seasons and due to needing a good seed base to start and be successful it probably can't be started on day 1.

But the word is that all this talk about not being able to keep and maintain a farm that produces crops for food and to maintain itself unless you spend skill points all the way to LOTL 3 is just a big false belief.

If we count in that seeds are now found more often in loot, a farm in A20 could possibly increase as fast as in A19 with LOTL1, it will just be more work and not automatic.

3 hours ago, Orclover said:

Obviously we need glowing rabbits and chickens coming for our crops irregularly.  Make us secure our farms with traps and shotgun to put the food supply at risk and then set the return value higher for the time investment without those precious skill points being wasted on farming skills.

A small horde night with dozens of glowing rabbits coming to wipe out your food sources if you are not there to defend it.  Setup auto-turrets and spikes or grab your guns, the lepus are coming.

Night-of-the-Lepus.jpg

Nah, this is TFP. Radiated, omnivorous gophers is what they'd add to do that.

9 minutes ago, hiemfire said:

Nah, this is TFP. Radiated, omnivorous gophers is what they'd add to do that.

Nope.

Since it's TFP, they'd do the rabbits first and once everyone had figured out good defenses for the rabbits, THEN they'd change it to gophers instead. ;) 

2 hours ago, meganoth said:

Et tu Brute ?

Is this a forum of social scientists and linguists? Please chant after me
"LotL 1 is wonderful, LotL 1 is nice, soon you'll have gathered your seeds twice"

My sample size was small and I got nothing but bad luck.  I couldn’t recover from it.  Probably should have clarified that you can’t generate a self sustaining farm off of one seed like you could in Alpha 19.

I died in that playthrough so I am going to restart when I get my modlet done.  I know eventually I would get to my self sustaining farm if I continued on and found more seeds.

On 12/17/2021 at 5:09 PM, BFT2020 said:

My sample size was small and I got nothing but bad luck.  I couldn’t recover from it.  Probably should have clarified that you can’t generate a self sustaining farm off of one seed like you could in Alpha 19.

I died in that playthrough so I am going to restart when I get my modlet done.  I know eventually I would get to my self sustaining farm if I continued on and found more seeds.

For anyone it might help, here is a modlet that gives 100% chance to get seeds back on harvest.

https://community.7daystodie.com/topic/26048-a20-modlets-lotl-perk-fast-plant-growth-super-iron-pickaxe/

Edited by pahbi (see edit history)

For anyone it might help, here is a modlet that gives 100% chance to get seeds back on harvest.

I'm good.  I actually like the changes.  Going in with 3 seeds, I knew that there was a chance that I couldn't succeed at farming with only 1 perk in LotL and such a small sample size.

1 hour ago, BFT2020 said:

I'm good.  I actually like the changes.  Going in with 3 seeds, I knew that there was a chance that I couldn't succeed at farming with only 1 perk in LotL and such a small sample size.

Sounds good.  :)

Main thing is having fun!