Throwing Rocks

Roland

Throwing Rocks  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Do you ever throw rocks in the game?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. What is your number one reason for throwing rocks?

• Practice for pipe bombs and molotovs
    • Distract zombies
    • Troll other players
    • Send zombies into bears, wolves, and mountain lions
    • Play Bocce in game with other players
    • Other: Explain below
    • I don't throw rocks

4 hours ago, theFlu said:

32s mega crush + jacket
32s mega crush + jacket + light armor perk + 5x custom fittings (so, likely capped, or 9% just doesn't show in my test)
35s bike (sprint on)
45s on foot (sprinting)

I never have enough Mega crushes to be able to use them in place of the bicycle.  Typically I have a few that I save for Horde night in case things go South.

By the time I get to the point of either 32s run conditions, I am typically at mini-bike so stamina usage is moot for transportation.

5 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

I never have enough Mega crushes to be able to use them in place of the bicycle.  Typically I have a few that I save for Horde night in case things go South.

By the time I get to the point of either 32s run conditions, I am typically at mini-bike so stamina usage is moot for transportation.

Yeh, agreed. The whole Mega Crush tangent started from a "It's fun to sprint home at night with a lucky book and a drink". They're not too rare to have roughly one per day if you make it a goal (drop in to loot all the soda machines you know of), but I wouldn't suggest trying to rely on them as a means of transport.

But it's "things are fun to know", who knows, might even mean something in a pinch (hoping A20 will be able to throw something of that nature at our way) when you try to decide whether to flee on a bike or on a crush.. :)

I throw rocks fairly often too, mostly to distract zombies or lead them to hostile animals,  or into minefields--that's a hoot!  I've also used it a few times to gather up a wandering horde that had halted so that I could lob a molotov and get most of them.  I recall in past alphas using thrown rocks to lead around hostile animals, but lately all my encounters seem to be of the "suddenly TEETH! CLAWS! OHGOD!" variety.

I've noticed that while a zombie is pursuing a rock they're totally fixated and will ignore everything else, you can walk along behind them making all the noise you like, even hit them and they'll keep on following the rock to where it stopped before paying you any mind.

I throw rocks every play through.  Since I play on Survivalist difficulty, it is my early game strategy for surviving through the first nights while I build or dig buried supplies.  Occasionally I'll use it for the animal vs zombie death matches to distract and/or soften up early game dogs/bears.

For mid game, it continues to be a survival mechanism while operating in wasteland areas, especially at night.  Extremely useful to keep the zombie bears & numerous ferals at a comfortable distance.

Late game I find rock throwing much less useful unless I want to work in wasteland un-bothered, especially at night.

I used to never throw rocks. Then I modded the game so it was Very hard (for me) and found new joy in things like throwing rocks and having to swap out weapons (spear/club/bone knife/rock/blunderbuss) based on situation bs relying on “old faithful standard build out that always works for me”.

anyway: if you don’t see a point in rock throwing, try upping the game difficulty until you literally go “oh crap, I’m going to die unless … is there a rock or something nearby… oh gawd a single rock…. (Throws it)….wow I managed to survive that!”.  Of course, this will be early game but in theory I guess you could make it so difficult that rocks would become a permeant weapon on your tool belt, but I can’t imagine making so many changes that (in a game like this) you wouldn’t eventually just have a lot of clubs/spears… maybe if you made the toolbelt and backpack like “1 slot available” or something crazy ;)