Throwing Rocks

Roland

Throwing Rocks  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Do you ever throw rocks in the game?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. What is your number one reason for throwing rocks?

• Practice for pipe bombs and molotovs
    • Distract zombies
    • Troll other players
    • Send zombies into bears, wolves, and mountain lions
    • Play Bocce in game with other players
    • Other: Explain below
    • I don't throw rocks

On 10/8/2021 at 10:15 PM, Roland said:

Throwing rocks does nothing to animals but you can distract animals by directing a zombie at them so the two of them fight. I once sent three zombies at a wolf and then attacked the wolf and it went down in one hit. That was cool.

Here's a more general survival tip related to your comment above. If you are being hunted down by a predatory animal such as a wolf or a mountain lion, find a zombie, and get it between you and the animal. 9 times out of 10 I find that the animal re-aggros towards the zombie. ;)

I almost wrote down that anime is aggressive towards zombies. The more you know.

21 hours ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

Agreed it has more utility however that utility is brief. Seems like it is too close to being able to make mini bikes which are superior.

IF you find the recipes or actually spend 5 points in INT (value from memory, correct me if I'm wrong). You might always make this same choice, other players might not.

On 10/10/2021 at 9:19 AM, Roland said:

Are you just skipping over the bike and going straight to motorcycle or something?

Even though this wasn't really a minibike thread, I'll add to the ongoing distraction.. I'm one to skip the bicycle entirely, I rather run. I prioritize mobility for fighting (padded armor etc), which means the bike isn't really faster for me - certainly somewhat different for anyone in a scrap armor.

The only real upside to a bike, for me, is the ability to completely overburden oneself, for one half of a loot run. Usually easily solved by a box on the side of a road, I don't need most of that stuff before I have an engine to rely on... On the other hand, on foot I can gather eggs and random trash, plus traveling on foot is a whole lot less clunky.

2 hours ago, meganoth said:

IF you find the recipes or actually spend 5 points in INT (value from memory, correct me if I'm wrong). You might always make this same choice, other players might not.

I am a strength guy.

I like smashing zombies with the sledge.

I like blasting zombies with the shotguns.

I like how (and I am sure it will get changed) the shotguns blast apart POIs while fighting the sleepers inside.

4 hours ago, Fanatical_Meat said:

I am a strength guy.

I like smashing zombies with the sledge.

I like blasting zombies with the shotguns.

I like how (and I am sure it will get changed) the shotguns blast apart POIs while fighting the sleepers inside.

You didn't say how you get the minibike, strength guy.

2 hours ago, BFT2020 said:

Pretty obvious.

He bashes the intellect guy and steals theirs

Exactly or not really. I delegate the Intelligence builds to friends.

I used to like farming but since the need a plot to plant it became less fun plus it is wasted points after a few days of growing you have more than enough coffee, corn, potatoes and whatnot. 

14 hours ago, theFlu said:

Even though this wasn't really a minibike thread, I'll add to the ongoing distraction.. I'm one to skip the bicycle entirely, I rather run. I prioritize mobility for fighting (padded armor etc), which means the bike isn't really faster for me - certainly somewhat different for anyone in a scrap armor.

The only real upside to a bike, for me, is the ability to completely overburden oneself, for one half of a loot run. Usually easily solved by a box on the side of a road, I don't need most of that stuff before I have an engine to rely on... On the other hand, on foot I can gather eggs and random trash, plus traveling on foot is a whole lot less clunky.

i get theflu.

ha ha!

i too like to run a lot early game.

if you take all your clothes off, sorry armor, you run really fast on the way to say a distant quest.

chuck in steroids, mega crush and perks and books and stuff, it can be quite fun.

i like the unburdened at night book perk combined with mega crush as a funny way to run home loaded to the gunnels just after nightfall 🙂 especially with the college jacket. i think it could be as fast as a 4x4... seems like it and you can jump so go in a straight line and over fences etc.

who would win? fully perked on foot vs 4x4 for 100m, 1000m, 10000m

5 hours ago, NukemDed said:

i get theflu.

And now you got theflu; to like you. Thanks man, I've been got by a lot of people, but no-one seems to care these days... I'll get 'em yet... :)

3 hours ago, Roland said:

the bicycle would win

He's talking "with mega crush", that's +50% .. you so sure about that?

Edited by theFlu (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Roland said:

oh please…the bicycle would win so of course the 4x4 would win. Runner’s high isn’t supposed to affect brain function…

honestly, have you tried running with 0 movement penalties and all possible speed and stamina buffs?

i hear benny hill music playing in the back of my head...

Video proof would convince me. But even then you would not convince me that you would be running naked except for the letterman's jacket and running shoes and with 0 encumbrance and fully perked and juiced in any other situation other to prove that it can be done. For regular gameplay the bike always wins.

Edited by Roland (see edit history)

I don't think I've had both the shoes and jacket in the early game in awhile but it's not all that improbable, especially if you found a clothing store to raid. Steroids and Mega Crushes are a pretty common find as well from the right kind of loot containers. I frequently use them to run home fully loaded from raiding POI's in the early game. If the terrain isn't nice and flat I could easily see it being faster in practice than the Bike.

4 hours ago, Roland said:

running naked

Padded armor says hi, 0 mobility penalties. 0 noise penalties. Somewhere around 35 armor rating. Add some noise reduction mods and stealth actually works reliably without points. Add armor mods for 10 more armor as the game progresses.

Or if you prefer, Military armor with two or more points in Light Armor perk and a Customized Fitting Mod, runs faster than naked (on the info page at least, might be capped by now.)

12 minutes ago, Whorhay said:

I don't think I've had both the shoes and jacket in the early game in awhile but it's not all that improbable, especially if you found a clothing store to raid. Steroids and Mega Crushes are a pretty common find as well from the right kind of loot containers. I frequently use them to run home fully loaded from raiding POI's in the early game. If the terrain isn't nice and flat I could easily see it being faster in practice than the Bike.

1 minute ago, theFlu said:

Padded armor says hi, 0 mobility penalties. 0 noise penalties. Somewhere around 35 armor rating. Add some noise reduction mods and stealth actually works reliably without points. Add armor mods for 10 more armor as the game progresses.

Or if you prefer, Military armor with two or more points in Light Armor perk and a Customized Fitting Mod, runs faster than naked (on the info page at least, might be capped by now.)

Just link me to your video where you beat the bike in a flat out race. Use your roids and max everything out. I'm happy to recant once I see the evidence.

5 minutes ago, Roland said:

Just link me to your video where you beat the bike in a flat out race. Use your roids and max everything out. I'm happy to recant once I see the evidence.

Hemorrhoids make us faster???? Well I can sort of see it yeah.

They'll be runnin for yer rocks, if you throw

It's just if they don't see you, oh It's just if they aint aggro

If they're comin' fer yer brains they'll not go

If they're comin' fer yer brains they'll not go

It's just if they don't see you, oh its just if they aint aggro

(To She'll Be Coming 'Round the Mountain When She Comes)

13 hours ago, Roland said:

Just link me to your video where you beat the bike in a flat out race.

You're insisting on seeing me run naked? :) Well, I haven't made a positive claim, yet, so I'm not recording a vid (would need a friend to test and setup a video sharing account somewhere and whatnot, way too much pointless effort for a playstyle difference argument... :) )

I did some sprinting in Departure, Navezgane though, East-west runs across the city, with the following results (not exactly scientific, but it is what I got.):

32s mega crush + jacket
32s mega crush + jacket + light armor perk + 5x custom fittings (so, likely capped, or 9% just doesn't show in my test)
35s bike (sprint on)
45s on foot (sprinting)

This is a straight line, any corners or obstacles will benefit the runner, and the crush is already a couple seconds faster.

Stamina use seems pretty similar per time spent (didn't check or use any of the stamina modifying stuff other than "Drinking" buff)

1 minute ago, theFlu said:

Oh hey, it seems you can be convinced without video evidence? :) (ok, I'll stop ... :) )

I never needed video evidence to know that I didn’t need to see you run naked. 

At any rate, as I said, perhaps you can set up the conditions using the creative menu to beat a rider on foot but in actual normal gameplay on an ongoing basis the bike is going to be more convenient and readily available. 

I will admit that running may be better and quicker than riding a bike in the desert or wasteland and is definitely better on horde night thanks to the vultures. 

5 minutes ago, Roland said:

I never needed video evidence to know that I didn’t need to see you run naked. 

Yeah, no-one needs to see that.. I mean by bony physique might be appealing to some, but no-one wants to see me collapse after 20 feet ... :)

7 minutes ago, Roland said:

in actual normal gameplay on an ongoing basis the bike is going to be more convenient and readily available. 

This is just a difference in approach and what one optimizes for; I'll readily admit that the bicycle is faster for anyone wearing heavy armor. But for my "actual normal gameplay" it offers very little speed increase at the cost of hunting down a couple of acid / wheels. Those are sometimes a real pain, and you might end up needing to hunt for more for the minibike the next day. Has happened to me.. I rather save the first two wheels for the mini-/motor bike.

If you need to spend any time to actually look specifically for the acids/wheels, you kinda have to reduce that time from the saved travel time - not entirely, but you could be doing something else more productive.

And for the phase of the game the pedal bike is relevant, eggs and hunting also are. The bike is just annoying for either, you'll either have to run back and forth for it (have fun while encumbered to the teeth) or try to park on top of a deer. "Where did I park it" is no longer a real issue with the icon, but you'll still have to run for it specifically.

I fully understand others playing a different meta and thus appreciating the bike more, and it's just good fun bunnyhopping along the countryside, but for me.. no thanks :)