why is the Machete called a Machete

Lord Gem

23 hours ago, Ramethzer0 said:

Also as someone who minored in linguistics, I recognize that as much language as people use - people are actually REALLY bad at language.

I can tell you with confidence that linguistic science also takes that disparity into account.

Weapon types are bad enough but it gets really funky when you translate mythological creatures when there is no cultural / language reference to that kind of pantheon or races. =P

The answer to all of these questions is: alternate universe.

There is no Navezgane County in our version of Arizona, hence this is not our universe. In this alternate universe, Navezgane exists, AK-47s are plentiful, Kukri's are called Machetes, and Grandpas can shoot AR-15s during WW2...

19 minutes ago, Roland said:

The answer to all of these questions is: alternate universe.

There is no Navezgane County in our version of Arizona, hence this is not our universe. In this alternate universe, Navezgane exists, AK-47s are plentiful, Kukri's are called Machetes, and Grandpas can shoot AR-15s during WW2...

And Adi won WW2 in Europe?

2 hours ago, JCrook1028 said:

I said neither of the two. Putting words in my mouth is rather ignorant. Wth are you even going on about?

I thought I would add a final comment before I unfollow this thread ....I am not going on about anything, I am an old man who should have learned that today's generation knows it all and doesn't need my voice. So as you all know from the alternate universe that this is reality I will leave you to it.

1 hour ago, Kyonshi said:

"As far as i know"

Thank you I did not get that, but then today's shorthand is different then the one I grew up with 

On 9/6/2021 at 2:34 PM, Lord Gem said:

well thank you for your comment, I was wrong I always thought this rifle was an AR-15.....so I just did some research to figure out what it is....as it saw use unfortunately not during WW2 as I said but during the Korean war and I just inherited them and really don't care about them....and we all know the Korean "war" didn't happen....personally the FNC1A1 is my weapon of choice, and the only weapon I have personally fired in the military....other then qualifying with certain other weapons....but checking it out right now I found out what I have is an EM-2 British rifle.....again not that I care as I am not a Firearms expert....I left the army the year before they introduce the colt and am glad I did.....again I did not purport to be an expert and most of my knowledge of the military comes from the 80's, I am an amature military historian with a focus on the Colonials and Napoleonic period, I have also studied some stuff of WW2 but focused on the Pacific Campaign and not the European continent...but feel free to tell me I am a liar and fake it really just reflects on yourselves and not upon me....to those I might have mislead with my comment that my grandfather fought in WW2 with an AR-15 my most profound apologies I know I have scarred you for life.

PS by the way what is the acronym AFAIK mean? I stupid too see

As Far As I Know

21 hours ago, Gazz said:

Weapon types are bad enough but it gets really funky when you translate mythological creatures when there is no cultural / language reference to that kind of pantheon or races. =P

Or at one point in time, the only language translations that are commonly known in scholastic circles at the time are in Greek, and are prolly spoken with the same care as people use in Spanglish lol.  For instance, I watched a video somewhat recently I think it was on TikTok where someone pronounced all the Egyptian deities in actual ancient Egyptian, opposite of their Greek names.

It happens in Paleontology all the time.   My most recent experience with something like this was learning Quechua (Incan tribal language) from someone who knew zero English, but also spoke Spanish.   I had to translate the words in my head from English to Spanish, so he could translate it from Spanish to Quechua and then back again.  I had to add in Youtube sessions to even out my practical understanding, and even then the accents were somewhat different because of regional variances.  It was a fun but also frustrating exercise.

TOTALLY reinforcing how bad humans are at language.  At least in many Asian and Middle Eastern countries, there were concerted efforts to standardize a national language.

Don't get me started on Gen Z's internet coded language, or my experiences with Bostonians and most New Englanders in general. 

lol, but.. thats just MY damage.

Edited by Ramethzer0 (see edit history)

15 hours ago, meganoth said:

On how many wrong sides of your bed did you get up this morning?

Lol it just drives me crazy when people think they know something about me personally when they have no clue. Using my age as some kind of basis in his argument? Pure ignorance and yep I'll call it out as BS every single time.

2 hours ago, JCrook1028 said:

Lol it just drives me crazy when people think they know something about me personally when they have no clue. Using my age as some kind of basis in his argument? Pure ignorance and yep I'll call it out as BS every single time.

Yep. The better question would have been to ask JCrook how many times he got out of bed to pee last night. He's no spring chicken...

5 hours ago, JCrook1028 said:

ok well I notice Roland had posted something here in my notifications so I thought I would look again....and you all know what I find funny.....JCrook1028 is so busy telling me what I am or am not that he keeps replying to a post I said I was leaving....so I wonder what does he has to prove.....me I don't care what he thinks of me....if he is on his mid 50's he seems pretty childish still play king of the hill but....have fun all be well and stay safe

18 hours ago, Lord Gem said:

ok well I notice Roland had posted something here in my notifications so I thought I would look again....and you all know what I find funny.....JCrook1028 is so busy telling me what I am or am not that he keeps replying to a post I said I was leaving....so I wonder what does he has to prove.....me I don't care what he thinks of me....if he is on his mid 50's he seems pretty childish still play king of the hill but....have fun all be well and stay safe

Hmm, need me to show you another fact you're ignoring? I responded again to another direct post of yours.... not to the original one so............... yea. make up some more stuff to distract.

21 hours ago, Roland said:

Yep. The better question would have been to ask JCrook how many times he got out of bed to pee last night. He's no spring chicken...

Hehehehehe True stuff! Answer is once!