Irradiated Zombie Cop - How many blocks/hp does the vomit penetrate?

John Black

So I'm trying to figure out how to still have my switches close by but not have the radiated zombie cop destroy them.

I've looked at items.xml and found ammoProjectileZombieVomitRadiated.

<property name="Explosion.RadiusBlocks" value="2"/>
        <property name="Explosion.RadiusEntities" value="1"/>

So I get the AOE, but the cop vomited though a couple of blocks to get to me. Is there any XML property that tells me what I'm dealing with in regards to vomit penetration?

Thanks!

Spoiler
<item name="ammoProjectileZombieVomitRadiated">
	<property name="Extends" value="ammoProjectileZombieVomit"/>
	<property name="CreativeMode" value="None"/>
	<property class="Action1">
		<property name="DamageEntity" value="25"/>
		<property name="DamageBlock" value="240"/>
		<property name="Velocity" value="18"/>
		<property name="FlyTime" value="2"/>
		<property name="LifeTime" value="4"/>
		<property name="Explosion.ParticleIndex" value="7"/>
		<property name="Explosion.DamageBonus.water" value="0"/>
		<property name="Explosion.DamageBonus.earth" value="0"/>
	</property>
	<effect_group name="ammoProjectileZombieVomitRadiated" tiered="false">
		<passive_effect name="DamageModifier" operation="perc_set" value="0" tags="earth"/>
		<passive_effect name="DamageModifier" operation="perc_set" value="0.5" tags="stone"/>
		<passive_effect name="DamageModifier" operation="perc_add" value="1.2" tags="metal"/>
		<passive_effect name="BuffProcChance" operation="base_set" value=".40" tags="buffInfectionCatch"/>
		<passive_effect name="BlockDamage" operation="base_set" value="145"/>
		<passive_effect name="EntityDamage" operation="base_set" value="1"/>
		<triggered_effect trigger="onSelfAttackedOther" action="ModifyCVar" target="other" cvar="infectionCounter" operation="add" value="20"><!--InfectionRadiated-->
			<requirement name="CVarCompare" target="other" cvar="infectionCounter" operation="GT" value="0"/></triggered_effect>
		<triggered_effect trigger="onSelfAttackedOther" action="ModifyCVar" target="other" cvar="abrasionZombieHit" operation="set" value="3200"/><!--AbrasionRadiated-->
	</effect_group>
</item>

On 7/16/2021 at 8:25 PM, John Black said:

So I'm trying to figure out how to still have my switches close by but not have the radiated zombie cop destroy them.

I've looked at items.xml and found ammoProjectileZombieVomitRadiated.

So I get the AOE, but the cop vomited though a couple of blocks to get to me. Is there any XML property that tells me what I'm dealing with in regards to vomit penetration?

Thanks!

Hide contents
<item name="ammoProjectileZombieVomitRadiated">
	<property name="Extends" value="ammoProjectileZombieVomit"/>
	<property name="CreativeMode" value="None"/>
	<property class="Action1">
		<property name="DamageEntity" value="25"/>
		<property name="DamageBlock" value="240"/>
		<property name="Velocity" value="18"/>
		<property name="FlyTime" value="2"/>
		<property name="LifeTime" value="4"/>
		<property name="Explosion.ParticleIndex" value="7"/>
		<property name="Explosion.DamageBonus.water" value="0"/>
		<property name="Explosion.DamageBonus.earth" value="0"/>
	</property>
	<effect_group name="ammoProjectileZombieVomitRadiated" tiered="false">
		<passive_effect name="DamageModifier" operation="perc_set" value="0" tags="earth"/>
		<passive_effect name="DamageModifier" operation="perc_set" value="0.5" tags="stone"/>
		<passive_effect name="DamageModifier" operation="perc_add" value="1.2" tags="metal"/>
		<passive_effect name="BuffProcChance" operation="base_set" value=".40" tags="buffInfectionCatch"/>
		<passive_effect name="BlockDamage" operation="base_set" value="145"/>
		<passive_effect name="EntityDamage" operation="base_set" value="1"/>
		<triggered_effect trigger="onSelfAttackedOther" action="ModifyCVar" target="other" cvar="infectionCounter" operation="add" value="20"><!--InfectionRadiated-->
			<requirement name="CVarCompare" target="other" cvar="infectionCounter" operation="GT" value="0"/></triggered_effect>
		<triggered_effect trigger="onSelfAttackedOther" action="ModifyCVar" target="other" cvar="abrasionZombieHit" operation="set" value="3200"/><!--AbrasionRadiated-->
	</effect_group>
</item>

not sure but i think the cop vomit may be D.O.T

dont forget that vomit is a projectile and allowed thru iron bars and such just like bullets and arrows. so if a bullet/arrow can travel thru them, so can the vomit.

vomit makes contact on solid blocks and per hp of blocks will start to deteriorate... so the more it is hit, the more damage is inflicted to the block and is in a small radius.

best to my knowledge... there is no instant explosion effect (at least i have never seen it in any of my play-thrus.) of course there are weak blocks and strong blocks and each have their own perspective properties.

in short - how much blocks does vomit penetrate.. basically one block deep at a time but you have to remember the splash coverage area. so switches.. should not be next to windows, weak doors or in the path of bar type blocks that can be shot threw.

my little trick is to place switches in floors with my storage boxes seeings how they always seem to be aiming for my head so i keep everything low.. i cant or wont verify that but it works for me (so far).

According to your description something behind a 2 block wall in a room with no bars or windows, just one fully upgraded vault hatch from below that is closed should be safe right? @unholyjoe (they would have to stand right below the hatch to be able to hit it directly, wich didn´t happen)

It isn´t tough. Get´s destroyed. And it´s a relay that is 2 blocks away frrom every wall. Not a problem to solve this i just redesigned my base a bit, but it doesn´t seem llike splash damage from a window, does it?

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

hmmm i never said i placed anything under a hatch,, i just place my stuff 1m down so it becomes floor level for me  and my bases are on solid foundation with no easy access to zeds for quite a few bm. BUT, this is not a 100% fool proof system and as far as i am concerned, there is none at 100%... there will always be a factor somewhere that has to be accounted for (its the way of the west) ooops maybe that doesnt apply here :) but for an fyi my base foundation is usually 11x11 upgraded to concrete and its only for bm fighting as i really dont have much as far as a regular base, i stick around tha trader area to use his/her bench and forge when i find one that works.

but i did say that i cant and wont verify my trick as it works for me and i dont waste time crunching numbers. i know the vomit has a splash radius and i am more then sure the spitters always seem to be aiming for my head so i keep my valuables in my floor... which is merely concrete.. can never get a game to last long enough for steel.

if i am lucky before i have to conjure a new map or game.. i might have a couple blade traps and i do have a lot of metal spikes... now.. i guess i should let you know i am testing this in a20 so not giving/leaking out info that i shouldnt because everyone will twist it and put words in that were never spoken if i did.

I was always under the quite-possibly-wrong impression that all AOE effects in the game penetrated all blocks. So if the "explosion radius" of whatever ammo is 2 blocks, then it doesn't matter if block #2 is hidden behind block #1, it'll take damage.

That impression was mostly from noticing demolisher damage to hidden/covered blocks, though, and I never really did any controlled experiments. Easy enough to set up a room with 3-block thick walls and let a cop vomit a few times in there and then check the middle and outer layer walls for damage (assuming the inner layer isn't completely destroyed.

I usually place the switches in another room behind a door, because one of my first horde bases had the switches on the wall near a choke point, and the cop did exactly what the unholy joe said, it went through the bars that I was shooting through and hit the switch, and then I had to scramble to set up a new switch and wire, in the middle of the blood moon, which sucked let me tell you.

Thanks all for the feedback. We're playing on a "hard mode" server so not sure if the admin adjusted some settings :).

As of now I surrounded my self in another layer of steel and will see how it goes next horde. If they still get in I'll try another layer.

@meganoth -- Which property indicates two block penetration?

@pimps - How about better HP for the switches? those ones are heavy duty; or a remote control maybe?

On 7/18/2021 at 4:26 PM, unholyjoe said:

in short - how much blocks does vomit penetrate.. basically one block deep at a time but you have to remember the splash coverage area. so switches.. should not be next to windows, weak doors or in the path of bar type blocks that can be shot threw.

I am talking about this part of your post. According to this a relay in a room with a 2 block wall, floor and ceiling with the only access from beyond with a hatch (wich they can´t directly vomit on, it´s impossible and the relay is not next to the hatch) should be safe if the vomit penetrates only one block. But it isn´t.

It´s not a problem at all, can be avoided easily but it does penetrate more than one block.

Edited by pApA^LeGBa (see edit history)

On 7/18/2021 at 2:28 PM, Boidster said:

I was always under the quite-possibly-wrong impression that all AOE effects in the game penetrated all blocks. So if the "explosion radius" of whatever ammo is 2 blocks, then it doesn't matter if block #2 is hidden behind block #1, it'll take damage.

MythBusted.png.97743364c38f80b39246aba2150f53f3.png

I tested with a 3-block thick wall of concrete and then again with wood. Only the surface blocks took damage from cop spit. Did not test for wrap-around splash, like if the spit hits near a corner, nor did I test with any type of doors or bars. Just wanted to confirm the wrongness of my impression that spit would penetrate solid blocks. 100% wrong.

5 minutes ago, Boidster said:

MythBusted.png.97743364c38f80b39246aba2150f53f3.png

I tested with a 3-block thick wall of concrete and then again with wood. Only the surface blocks took damage from cop spit. Did not test for wrap-around splash, like if the spit hits near a corner, nor did I test with any type of doors or bars. Just wanted to confirm the wrongness of my impression that spit would penetrate solid blocks. 100% wrong.

Did this testing include switches and relays on the other side?  For example

• Spit - block  - relay
  • Spit - block - block - relay

I know on some of my past base builds I had cop explosions take out relays on the other side but not the block in front of it, but wasn't sure about the spit attack.  Granted, my new designs, accounting for explosions, should prevent spit from taking them down; but I am curious if it is possible  🙂

54 minutes ago, BFT2020 said:

Did this testing include switches and relays on the other side?

It did not. I'll go try a few arrangements.

Results: switches did not take any damage when on the far side of a solid concrete wall (1 block thick). I also tried with open holes to either side of the target block and there was no wraparound splash to the switches. (I stood in front of the target block [on the other side] and then God-mode phased backwards right as the cop spit, so the full effect would hit the block).

For good measure I let the cop spit at the target numerous times. No damage to any of the switches. Target block was at 1600/2500 by that time.

image.png.7b08882e4f8a76017ee45a891c3679b7.png

Edited by Boidster (see edit history)

i did same test... my findings... wood = NO for protection (as it should be), because by the time you encounter radiateds, you should be into concrete and steel.

i did also make a window with 1 ironbar in center... the splash will wrap as expected because projectile can go threw the bars. but steel and concrete will hold up but not under continuous vomit attacks (again as expected). my switches and relays only took a hit if the cop spit thru the iron bar. cops exploding is a different issue and was discussed to death before and does not need it again.. so from what i have tested.. vomit is dangerous and can be controlled with proper blocks and thickness (it is all about figuring it out and adapting). if there is a week point where the vomit can spread/wrap it will and cause trouble.. but 1m concrete hit with 1 vomit did not show any signs of vomit penetrating and destroying switches/relays on other side.

this is all based on my all vanilla settings and no mods test.

A19.5_2021-07-20_12-09-47.jpg

Edited by unholyjoe (see edit history)

That's very interesting. I tested with a 2m thick solid wood wall and there was zero damage to the 2nd layer of blocks. I didn't put switches/relays on them though. So is it the case that the vomit will damage the 1st layer of wood, and a relay on the far side of the 2nd layer of wood, but will not damage the 2nd layer of wood itself? That seems very odd.

I was using standard cops; maybe that matters.

Okay, so maybe we are testing slightly different ideas. I'll do a couple of setups including one like yours. I was initially just testing my initial proposition that "vomit will penetrate solid blocks". It will not, at least as near as I can tell. I just tried a 1-thick wood wall with switches on the back side and while the wood blocks sustained significant damage, the switches were fine.

I tried normal cops and radiated cops with the same result except the damage of radiated cop spit was high enough to flat out destroy wood blocks (and obviously the switches on them also). But the spit did not penetrate the non-destroyed blocks to damage any switches.

image.png.4ece896ff38eab7f2f3f7c3c10c2b2df.png

Next I'll try to duplicate your tests with bars. My "wraparound" test was just an open hole, with the spit impacting the block in the middle. Maybe when it impacts iron bars, it splashes around more.

yeah seriously and i know a lot of people wont see it that way... 1m of wood block is not and will not protect your base or equipment from radiated spitters (cops/vultures). and as i had already said, by the time you have to deal with spitters, you should already be into concrete and steel and better fortified.

Sure, I completely agree. I'm not so much interested in which blocks can sustain the damage, just about whether the spit can penetrate a solid barrier, or wrap around corners.

So I did some more tests with a 1m thick wood wall with an iron-bar window in it. I tried with the bars on the cop's side of the block and on my side. I tried with me standing a couple of meters back (so the spit was shot through the window, if the cop didn't miss) and also standing right up to the bars (so even if the cop 'hit' the window, the acid splash would be on me, standing right next to the switches.

In no case did I get any damage to a switch, if the block it was attached to survived. In the case of an attack from a radiated, many blocks were completely destroyed, but any blocks that survived (even down to just a frame left), the switch was undamaged. In the pic below, the only switch that has any damage is at lower left, where its block was destroyed (the switch is being supported by the ground). Just above that the switch got destroyed when it fell down, not due to acid. Same for the switches which were above and to the right of the window.

image.png.2cfb853803cdbed2c15d43c69d13a2c1.png

Anywho, my conclusion so far is that acid doesn't penetrate blocks and it doesn't wrap around corners. Or at least not all the way around to the back side of a block. I didn't really test what happens if a cop spits from an angle to the right or left, so the acid hits the sides of the 'window' there. Maybe that could wrap around one face of the block to affect a switch.

Edit: to bring it back to the thread title, "Irradiated Zombie Cop - How many blocks/hp does the vomit penetrate?", it seems to me that it won't penetrate any solid blocks, though it may destroy a block and some of the damage then gets through.

Edited by Boidster (see edit history)

20 hours ago, John Black said:

@meganoth -- Which property indicates two block penetration?

Sorry, my posting was a bit ambiguous.  What I was saying was that even IF it did penetrate (which I thought it did not), its effect would have to end two blocks from the hit block at the most because of  <property name="Explosion.RadiusBlocks" value="2"/>.

Again, thank you all for the feedback and tests.

I have created a little test myself in a vanilla game and the cop can definitely can get to you through one block, not consistently though. In the video, I’m sure he must have been on the ground before attacking, so in reality he could have hit me through more than one block.

There might have been some lingering vomit on the blocks from the previous attack, so who know, maybe that had something to do with it? No other blocks were broken except for the switches that got destroyed by the 2 block AOE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBPfsrp4RUY

I've doubled up on the blocks and it seems safe, although, with stars aligned, who knows 😀.

10 hours ago, John Black said:

I have created a little test myself in a vanilla game and the cop can definitely can get to you through one block, not consistently though. In the video, I’m sure he must have been on the ground before attacking, so in reality he could have hit me through more than one block.

There might have been some lingering vomit on the blocks from the previous attack, so who know, maybe that had something to do with it? No other blocks were broken except for the switches that got destroyed by the 2 block AOE.

That is an interesting video. I only tested horizontal attacks (cop at same level as me) and I didn't see anything like that. Definitely the acid never got to me (except when I was standing in front of the bars and even then nearby switches weren't affected). I didn't test with bulletproof glass, which is what you seem to be using. And maybe there's some weird thing with an attack that is aimed up at the bottom of a block like the one you were standing on when you got hit.

Definitely looks like the main acid ball got through the floor, though. I wasn't able to replicate that at all (for walls).

11 hours ago, John Black said:

Again, thank you all for the feedback and tests.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBPfsrp4RUY

I've doubled up on the blocks and it seems safe, although, with stars aligned, who knows 😀.

I'm pretty sure that is limited to glass, being transparant and bullet proof being semi transparant.

Indeed, I’m pretty sure it has gone through the floor. I was 4 blocks from the ground and the cop must have been at ground level by the time he attacked. From testing the glass seems to block attacks consistently, but from the angle of attack I don’t even think the glass was in play.

AFIAK the zombies rage when they get cheesed, i.e. drop, can’t get to player, maybe something like that happened with a boost to damage/pen?.

In my main base I got attacked, what felt like from below(floor damaged) and the only LOS he could have had(possible though a high window) should have been lost way before the attack. I only had bars on the kill end and he was never visible from that angle before the attack.