Constant Character Reset Issues

Ruvicken

I keep having problems where the character constantly resets after every game I play. Below here is the most recent even that occurred today. I don't quite understand why it is doing this, as I never got any red text warnings or anything of the sort, just this... repeat of a serious annoyance. Here is the log for what had happened. https://pastebin.com/jA8RW45V

I play with mods, but they never had an issue. This is moreso a sudden occurrence and I have been dealing with this for a few days now. I have already cleared game data once and uninstalled and reinstalled the game. I don't really understand what to do at this point. 

2 hours ago, Jugginator said:

Try your mods one by one. I can spot some outdated ones already, they need to be updated to be compatible with the latest alpha version.

I removed a few mods, this time, I got a partial character reset, where my items and the location where I was at was not reset, but my skill points and stats were. https://pastebin.com/nHvWDMwu

6 minutes ago, Ruvicken said:

I removed a few mods, this time, I got a partial character reset, where my items and the location where I was at was not reset, but my skill points and stats were. https://pastebin.com/nHvWDMwu

I'm not being snarky but you've still got old mods and a lot of mods at that, one or more or a combination of those is causing this and not the core game. You can't debug this very well without doing the mods one by one until you hit the issue again. After that you'll need to contact the mod creator(s) about the issue / getting an update for the mod.

YES that is what he is saying.

start with vanilla games.. and only add one mod at a time and test if any issues or not... if not add one more and test again.. you might find more than one has issues and probably needs updated by it's creator.

:)
QA Tester-unholyjoe

I'm having a similar issue as far as the character reset but it's periodic. Adding mods one at a time doesn't help because it doesn't happen every day. Here are the mods I'm using -

spacer.png

I'm seeing a ton of NullReferenceExceptions in the console, so many that the game freezes. Is there any better way to determine which mod is causing the problem? Again, it's fine for a few days then suddenly the character resets.

spacer.png

So I got this error while testing the mods, and I cannot figure out which one is causing it. It plays nice after testing each one, but this red text error popped out of nowhere when I got to this area. All I did was walk around and do the quest, yadda yadda ya, and traded with the trader a bit before getting to this point. Stopped me right before I got to the tower.

Edited by Ruvicken
Incomplete post, needed explanation. (see edit history)

Look, I just want to know what these errors mean so I can bug test this easier. This just confuses me as to what any of it means, simply. What is the error code trying to tell me aside from something not working right?

34 minutes ago, Ruvicken said:

Look, I just want to know what these errors mean so I can bug test this easier. This just confuses me as to what any of it means, simply. What is the error code trying to tell me aside from something not working right?

As far as I can decipher from the picture it seems the game tried to read a chunk (i.e. an area of the game world) but tried to read past the length of that file. This probably means there are corrupted pointers in that data file pointing to areas outside the file or simply that the writing of the file was cut short and there is only a part of the file left.

Theoretically you could write a special chunk editor tool that understands chunk files and can read them with lots of error-correction (in the case of pointer errors) and repair that chunk somehow. As I don't know the data structure I can't really judge how difficult that is, but would guess that you would be occupied for a few weeks at least.

The alternative is to find the chunk that is corrupted and delete it.

So War3zuk Pro Points was one of the offending mods, but I learned it was not the only one causing the crashes. Seems I will have to try and figure out what else is corrupting the character files. I am unsure why something that simply changes the value of exp needed for a level up would damage the character files, but for all I know, there could somehow be an even deeper underlying issue I do not know about.

Anything that changes progression.xml is likely to bork your character.  Making changes during gameplay is almost guaranteed to reset it.  So if you start a game vanilla, then add a mod that changes progression, now you have a reset character. Play for a while with that character, take the mod out, and your character progress is reset again.

So, it seems that Tactical Action by IvanDX and War3zuk's ProPoints are the culprit here for the character file corruptions. I am personally tired of trying to figure out how to stop the files from becoming corrupted, but I am uncertain what to do at this point. The game is overly grindy with the points system being extensively slow, which is why I had pro points in the first place to make it more enjoyable. I never had this problem before, it only started those few days ago. It always says trying to read past end of stream when I have these mods, and looking in the log files only gives me that and a burst of red text repeating that it is failing to restore or read my character file.

14 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

Anything that changes progression.xml is likely to bork your character.  Making changes during gameplay is almost guaranteed to reset it.  So if you start a game vanilla, then add a mod that changes progression, now you have a reset character. Play for a while with that character, take the mod out, and your character progress is reset again.

In my case I did start a new game with the mod enabled. The last time it threw a bunch of NullReferenceExceptions was when I was applying the points. The time before that was after I had playing a new map for a few days with the mod enabled.

You two really should contact the mod creators about this so they can update the mods for the newest game version. I suggest just entering giveselfxp 10000000 to give yourself a boost without the offending mods on. Skill points per level is a simple number switch at the beginning of the progression.xml, but I'm not sure of the ramifications of going above the normal level of max skill points.

If you want to change the points needed to level, just edit the xml yourself rather than installing a mod. The equation is a simple one and you should easily be able to tweak it to your liking. I’m not on my pc atm so can’t tell you which xml that the equation is in but a decent guess would be gamestage.xml.

So, there is something in the game log about the character xml being too long once I tried to fiddle with the mods again. Any clue what would cause that? It happened as I closed the game and appeared when I hit the game's main menu.

Looks like the vehicle mod is breaking something too

1. async texture load: failed to load vehicle_generic_glasswindows2 from archive:/CAB-483d30cfad903334883b67e7cb43cbaa/CAB-483d30cfad903334883b67e7cb43cbaa.resS

Initial thought is some container or something that's modded into the game is corrupting region files, possibly something in your inventory. I really would go ask each of the mod makers individually for an update, all of that seems to be old code/assets that don't work with 19.5