Regularly occuring error on a public server

PoloPoPo

Hello everyone.

I have just played the game for a few minutes then the following error occured. Here is the output log from this short session:

https://pastebin.com/Ai99RhFk

Now to the error:

I don't have much experience with public servers as I have only started to play online a few weeks ago. The first server I have joined worked without any problems for a few ingame hours before I quit that server. Now I have found another one and I was able to play the first ingame hours without any errors as well. Since two days I get the following bug regularly out of nowhere and mid-game:

- sound bugs out, can't hear my own footsteps anymore

- E key does not work anymore. Can't pick up stones or loot anything anymore.

- Zombies don't recognize me anymore. They won't react to my presence and don't attack me. When I attack and kill them their dead body will continue to move, for example without head or lying on the floor getting dragged across the dirt.

- can't use ingame chat anymore. Any message I type won't be displayed to anyone.

I have to log out and in of the server then and the problem will be fixed until it appears the next time. Usually that does not take any longer than a few minutes. Server host says problem is on my side as no one else playing there has that problem. When the bug occurs other players are able to loot stuff I can't loot anymore due to E key not working anymore.

When I log out and back in I won't continue playing where I have logged off but some seconds even before the bug occured are lost. It is like I lose connection to the server or something but other players can still see me and I can still run around but the world / server does not recognize me anymore.

I have not changed anything to my system in the recent past.

Thanks in advance.

Edit:

This topic is about a similar problem by the looks of it.

Reading about mods from different servers, is there a way to look up what mods I have downloaded by joining different servers and can I somehow delete them? I know that the server I am playing on (the one where I get the bug) uses mods as well but if I could somehow delete them all and re-join the server only the needed mods should be downloaded again, no?

I have checked my game files for errors (validated files) without results.

Edit2:

I have excluded my game folder from Windows virus protection. All updates installed. Hardware is easily good enough.

Edited by PoloPoPo (see edit history)

20 minutes ago, PoloPoPo said:

Reading about mods from different servers, is there a way to look up what mods I have downloaded by joining different servers and can I somehow delete them?

Only XML-mods are automatically pushed to your client. They are not "installed" they are pushed and loaded every time you join. There is no way and no need to install or remove such mods. Such mods don't affect your single player games (as manually installed mods would) and don't conflict if you switch servers, as they are not loaded at client start, but every time you join a server.

Mods that modify geometries, textures, etc. are never downloaded from a server. You ALWAYS need to install them yourself manually. There is no sign if or what mods a server uses. So either it's in the server description which mods you have to install, or it maybe mentioned on a website or if none of them you have to contact the server owner and ask him.

I know that the server I am playing on (the one where I get the bug) uses mods as well but if I could somehow delete them all and re-join the server only the needed mods should be downloaded again, no?

To not have any local mods installed that may conflict with server modlets, simply delete/empty your mods folder in the 7d2d installation directory.

Edited by Liesel Weppen (see edit history)

What you describe is exactly what happens when the connection to the server gets lost. The logfile says the same, there is no error message, just the info that the connection to the server is lost.

Happens in my group as well, one specific player in my group often has it multiple times in a play session, yesterday we all were disconnected like this.

We can only guess about the deeper reason that one of us gets it all the time. It could be a bug in the network code or some special thing happening anywhere between his PC and the server.

Found out something else now. I have joined the server I have been playing on first without any bugs. I get the very same bug there now as well. When I stay in the game despite having the bug I get the message 30 seconds later:

Connection to the server timed out:

EAC kicked me out of the game: Client has invalid files - Connection timed out.

Edit:

When I open a loot container and throw out a lot of items on the ground (like 30 or more items) the bug immediately occurs by a very high chance.

What does the above error message mean? EAC kicks me? Can I somehow check my EAC's functionality? Or reinstall EAC or something?

Playing on any server currently is impossible for me. That sucks. It did work a week ago, though.

Edited by PoloPoPo (see edit history)

Don't think I have network issues as 7D2D isn't the only thing that needs a working network and I don't have any network issues with anything else. 

Have verified my files over and over again.

Have deleted my mods folder (which was empty anyway).

Have repaired my EAC install.

Error still occurs.

2 minutes ago, PoloPoPo said:

Don't think I have network issues as 7D2D isn't the only thing that needs a working network

Add an exception for the game folder and the save game folder in your antivirus. The AV will interfere with

the network communiction while it checks every little bit to and from the server. (thus causing a

network "problem") Also, don't use wifi if you are.

1 hour ago, PoloPoPo said:

Don't think I have network issues as 7D2D isn't the only thing that needs a working network and I don't have any network issues with anything else.

Network connections aren't a boolean thing, it could be working but working horribly. Some games/servers handle network issues better than others, and/or you may be routing to a garbage node along the way to the server.

And really make sure your AV is disabled to rule that out. If I had a dollar for everytime someone "shuts off an AV" and I look at the services and it's still running I'd have some dollars. Most AV software is pretty much malware without the "malware" tag and sold to the public lol.

1 hour ago, PoloPoPo said:

Had virus live protection turned off. Error still occured.

Just now, Beelzybub said:

I connected to that server, for science. It's a 16K world, so I would expect connection issues. 16K is not supported.

Completely not supported. In fact is is guaranteed to have connection issues, sync issues, and other similar problems. I have tested this extensively with a large variety of hardware.

The only error I really noticed in the log is that the server you're connecting to has a custom prefab. So when you're in that area, it will not display properly, and will cause sync issues also.

I get what you are saying about 16K maps. But why did the exact same map work for several days when suddenly and out of nowhere the error appeared and since then occurs every few minutes? Why was I able to play in a public 8K map for a decent amount of time without any bugs and when I join that server now the same error even occurs there as well now?

That does not make sense to me as the error obviously is not bound to a specific server. Singleplayer works btw.

I could try to deactivate EAC on game start and play on a server with EAC disabled to see whether it is working or not.

The issues with the 16k map start with the initial download taking forever, and then the rest build up over time. The longer you play on the map, the worse it gets.
If you had previously joined the 16k map, left and went to another server without fully exiting the client, the corrupted memory data can carry over to your character and locally saved server data on the other server.

This is partially due to the way data is shared between the client and the server. They did fix a bit of it in the last patch, but it still needs work.

Just now, PoloPoPo said:

So if the error on the 8K map was carried over from the 16K map the 8K server should run without error again if I join it right on computer restart, right? I will try that today.

Unless the corrupted data from your character on your local PC carried to the server and corrupted the local file. Then you would need to have the character wiped there as well.  Best to start by wiping all of your local server cache, then reboot and try again.

In the game Launcher under Tools is the option to "Clean game data". You'll want to remove Discovered map of remote games.

Alternatively you can also manually go to your UserData\Roaming and remove them there.

My path for example...
C:\Users\Sylen\AppData\Roaming\7DaysToDie\SaveGameLocal\

Just delete all the folders inside there, and it will remove your locally cached data from servers.

If you fear for your local games you can always make a backup of C:\Users\Sylen\AppData\Roaming\7DaysToDie\SaveGame (or just "Save") and maybe C:\Users\Sylen\AppData\Roaming\7DaysToDie\Worlds, before any critical operations.

If you then make a mistake, you will find the savegame in SaveGame and locally generated worlds in Worlds in your backup and can just copy them back.

Edited by meganoth (see edit history)

I have deleted all files inside my local saves folder. World had to be downloaded and minimap to be build up again and I was kind of confident that this "fresh" attempt might help. But... error occured again after 10 minutes of playing on that 16K world server.

I'm about to throw in the towel and return to offline savegames instead...

1 minute ago, meganoth said:

How about doing the fix again and starting with the easier target of an 8k world ?  If that works you at least know to ignore 16k worlds from now on. If it doesn't work the problem is elsewhere.

I know I should have gone that way but actually I have abandoned the 8k server and am looking forward to playing on the 16k server for the next weeks. So I tried "all or nothing" there :D

Will repeat the procedure tomorrow but try on the 8k map instead. But I have little hope now.