7days crashing quite often. Please help.

tenchikun

The link you provided actually does show other versions. For some reason when I looked before it only showed the beta version and didn't have the show other versions. But with your link it actually shows all the others versions expanded. I'll check to see what version I have and respond back. 

Ok upgraded the bios, on the 2006 version now. Ran passmark, everything looks good except with the video card, it failed to run open CL. Which must be a driver issue cause this still doesn't work with the newest driver. Because of it photoshop crashes when gpu acceleration option in PS is turned on. I'll test out 7days some more and see if the crashes continue. The bios seemed like the last resort here as everything else checks out. Even after fixing the ram setting the game still crashed consistently.  

well, its still crashing. not sure what to do next. at this point i'm pretty sure its just a gpu driver issue and i'll just have to wait for it to get fixed. And before everyone starts blabbing on about how they aren't having any problems with that same card/driver imagine for a moment that others with the exact same hardware may encounter issues that others don't. For instance a few have pushed me to update my bios. One of the main issues with one of the previous bios versions was usb disconnections. Welp, i've never had that problem so just because you have hardware "A" and software "B" doesn't mean you're going to all encounter glitch "C". 

consider this WITHOUT getting upset...

when a minority has an issue that the majority doesnt... it becomes the task of some guys/gals here to ask for as much info as we can get in order to cross off the evidences of the puzzle that needs to be solved... unfortunate... sometimes it ends up being something simple in the long run that one of us may have had some experiences with. or it can be something serious... thats why everyone gives input.

so when those statements are made, you need to chill and let these guys do what they need to do and thats to put the pieces together... if your problem was indeed as easy to fix as you were hoping then welcome to alpha because crap happens and we want to find the cause(s) and get them reported to fix them for future victims.

now that you have calmed down and think i am an idiot... let these fine people get started and dont get offended.

good luck

:)
QA Tester-unholyjoe

I've never once said anything about anyone being an idiot, never gotten offended. I'm grateful for all the help i've gotten so far so I'm a bit confused with your comments. I've done everything everyone has asked at still no results yet. Not sure what else I can do unless someone has any other ideas as to what could be causing this. If you haven't read through the comments let me just say that I've done a fresh install of windows, updated the drivers and rolled them back because of a known issue with the newest driver and Outriders. Neither driver seems to change the circumstances with 7days. I've tested the ram, i've run passmark and ran every test they have. I have upgraded the bios to the newest version, upgraded chipset and lan/wifi drivers, excluded 7days and EAC from windows defender. Ive checked for over heating and everything is well within normal temps. windows 10 is up to date with the newest version, newest update for .netframework, direct x and everything else I could think up updating. If there is anything more I can do or info I can provide I will. Just haven't heard anything else back as of yet. 

9 hours ago, tenchikun said:

Not sure what else I can do unless someone has any other ideas

Since you did a clean install of windows, I kinda suspect a hardware problem.

Here's a few things that you haven't mentioned checking:

1: NVME temperatures (these can overheat and cause a crash) The latest version of Windows 10 has built in a way to check temps. Check it while playing of course.

It's happened that system builders have installed an nvme drive with a heat sink, but forgot to remove the plastic layer from the sink, which makes the drive even hotter.   So if it is running hot, I'd take it out and check the heat sink is properly mounted. (I would check it even if it's not running hot)

2: Test and repair all your disks with CHKDSK /F or /R

3: Check power distribution to your mb (xtra 4/6 or 8 pin plug/cable near the cpu) Connecting this cable has sometimes been overlooked by a builder. System still works until it's stressed.

4: Power distribution to your GPU (make sure 6 or 8 pin cable is securly connected)

I would also try running furmark and prime95 at the same time to see if I could get the system to crash. If successful, this would clearly show that it is a hardware error.

Leave a few cores free in prime95 when running both tests simultaneously, so the GPU has something to work with.

Good luck.

So I ran Furmark and it runs fine on 1080p but if I set the resolution higher than that it freezes. Doesn't stop responding in the task manager at all. But it's obviously crashed and the event view gives me a warning nvlddmkm stopped responding.

ssd temps are fine. tested the disks, no errors, 8pin 12v connect is plugged in and secure, same with the gpu. 

2 hours ago, tenchikun said:

https://i.imgur.com/aYd0CiW.png I found it odd that raytracing is enabled on a non RTX card. 

I get the same on my 1060. It was made available via the drivers a while ago. If a program doesn't use it, it won't have any effect.  If a program does try though, be ready for some FPS issues. I tried the Quake RTX demo. Max FPS was 5, with the average being below 1.

Our systems aren't that far off from each other, so I'm at a loss to understand some of the issues you're having.

sorry if I missed it, but:

Did it work correctly some time before, and then the crashes started to happen,

or did it occur right from the beginning when you first tried to play the game?

Did you recently change/upgrade hardware components?

Please give the specs of your PSU (or vendor+model) and how old is it?

Edited by meilodasreh (see edit history)

3 hours ago, tenchikun said:

So I ran Furmark and it runs fine on 1080p but if I set the resolution higher than that it freezes. Doesn't stop responding in the task manager at all. But it's obviously crashed and the event view gives me a warning nvlddmkm stopped responding.

ssd temps are fine. tested the disks, no errors, 8pin 12v connect is plugged in and secure, same with the gpu. 

Sounds like either GPU or PSU issue to me, and I think it's hardware related, not software. If you happen to have a spare part lying around, maybe try swapping one of them out and see if the issue happens again. Though, keep in mind that swapping out a GPU with one that uses less power might not help much since if it is in fact a PSU issue, using less power could help prevent a crash.

The only thing i've upgraded was the mobo from an asus rog b350f to a b550f-wifi. And from a gtx 1050ti to a 1660ti. Had no issues with the previous set up. the power supply is an evga gold 650watt psu.  Oh and I upgraded from a ryzen 5 to a ryzen 7. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/y88H99/evga-supernova-g3-650w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-220-g3-0650

Edited by tenchikun (see edit history)

I was going to suggest a full DDU driver uninstall, but since you already wiped and reinstalled Windows that's a dumb suggestion. Still have your old 1050 lying around? Maybe you could also try the 1660 in the other PCI slot. Throwing darts at this point...

10 hours ago, tenchikun said:

power supply is an evga gold 650watt psu

16 hours ago, tenchikun said:

8pin 12v connect is plugged in and secure, same with the gpu. 

I think your power supply also has connections at the psu. So you could check the connections there as well.

16 hours ago, tenchikun said:

So I ran Furmark and it runs fine on 1080p but if I set the resolution higher than that it freezes.

This seems to point to a video card problem so maybe replace that power cable from the psu to the gpu. (if you have an extra one)

Or try the cable in a different output from the psu.

And pull out and reseat the 1660.

I've already pulled the card, reseated it, unplugged the power cable and replugged it in. Someone else had suggested that to me. it was one of the first things I had done. sadly I don't have a spare cable. 

I don't have the 1050 anymore. used it in my dads computer when I upgraded. 

So on a good note, I underclocked my gpu with msi afterburner. -280mhz and ran furmark with 8x antialiasing and 1440p. Ran for like a half hour and no crashes. So I kinda think this might be a driver issue causing the gpu to suddenly overclock somehow and become unstable. I don't know how else that can happen. This card used to be stable and then it seems after some driver update, that's when all these problems occured cause it happens with outriders, call of duty black ops, valheim, and red dead 2. 

I realize your PSU is high quality, but how old is it? Tech channels seem to recommend replacing them every 5 or so years depending how much you use them. Capacitors wear down over time, and as they wear down, the max rated wattage output also goes down + or - 10% per year depending how much you use the PSU. Of course, gold rated PSUs tend to have the solid caps, so I imagine the percentage is lower than 10%. The other thing is that 650 watts is not exactly a lot of leeway given the new power requirements of the upgraded hardware. Sure, it's more than enough in theory, but over time, as the caps degrade and efficiency goes down... I don't know.

Also, underclocking the GPU may have lowered the overall power usage a bit which may have helped a little which is why you thought you figured it out at the time until it crashed again.

Edited by Fox (see edit history)