7days crashing quite often. Please help.

tenchikun

2 hours ago, tenchikun said:

So on a good note, I underclocked my gpu with msi afterburner. -280mhz

Try underclocking the vram. Also maybe try undervolting slightly. (both in Afterburner)

Also try limiting the frame rate to something ridiculous like 45-50 fps using the Nvidia Control Panel. (just as a test)

20 hours ago, tenchikun said:

The only thing i've upgraded was the mobo from an asus rog b350f to a b550f-wifi. And from a gtx 1050ti to a 1660ti. Had no issues with the previous set up. the power supply is an evga gold 650watt psu.  Oh and I upgraded from a ryzen 5 to a ryzen 7. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/y88H99/evga-supernova-g3-650w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-220-g3-0650

So you "only" changed your whole platform (CPU, GPU, mobo).

Sorry I have to ask more specifically:

You said "fresh new install of Win", meaning what?

In your case it should have been a total new install to a fresh empty partition on your harddrive. Everything else (repair install or via some "migration tools") might cause all kinds of undefined bs-behavior of your system. No cleanup tool or similar can then provide a fully functional Win on that drastically changed hardware (esp new mobo).

Insufficient power supply can cause same, but your PSU should be more than enough,

even without further details given about your CPU..."I have a Ryzen 7" is ridiculously (no offense meant) unspecific...next to possibly other peripheral devices built in your rig.

...at least you could confirm that you haven't running a handful of USB water boilers 😄 just kidding, PSU can be dropped from the list I guess. 👍

Edited by meilodasreh (see edit history)

10 hours ago, Beelzybub said:

@tenchikunprovided a very detailed speccy report, so maybe read the thread before throwing shade.

wtf I even specifically wrote that I was just kidding and no offense meant, and it doesn't really matter whatever Ryzen 7 CPU it actually is,

and you nonetheless pick that one sentence out of context to "accuse" me.

it must be my angry-looking avatar...really I try to help here nothing else

A new speccy which includes the fixed RAM might be in order nonetheless.

I am specifically not proposing RAM to be the cause though it cannot be ruled out as of yet - memtest mostly lets one rule out faulty sticks but cannot tell whether settings are sane enough to not have it buckle under load.

ok, so i've been using msi afterburner to lower my gpu core clock and it is definitely helping to keep it more stable. But I don't loaded and installed the newest driver that came out on the 29th and it is more evident that ever that this is a driver issue. With the new driver it had my clock speed running at 1980mhz, not spiking at those speeds but running steady at those speeds which is insane for this card and will undoubtly make it unstable. I had to reset msi afterburner and drop the clock speed again. Its now running at a stable 1635mhz. Not sure wtf nvidia is doing with these driver updates but something is seriously wrong that it would cause clock speeds to go through the roof like that. 

39 minutes ago, tenchikun said:

ok, so i've been using msi afterburner to lower my gpu core clock and it is definitely helping to keep it more stable. But I don't loaded and installed the newest driver that came out on the 29th and it is more evident that ever that this is a driver issue. With the new driver it had my clock speed running at 1980mhz, not spiking at those speeds but running steady at those speeds which is insane for this card and will undoubtly make it unstable. I had to reset msi afterburner and drop the clock speed again. Its now running at a stable 1635mhz. Not sure wtf nvidia is doing with these driver updates but something is seriously wrong that it would cause clock speeds to go through the roof like that. 

As of driver version 466.11 Nvidia added GPU overclocking to the default drivers. Theoretically this is only supposed to effect the 20- and 30-series GPU's, but I saw some reports that it also works on some newer MSI 16- and 10- cards.

This is a feature of GeForce Experience, and is yet another reason to avoid installing this bloatware on your system.

1 hour ago, tenchikun said:

Not sure wtf nvidia is doing with

That‘s the downside of unified drivers. Focus lies on optimizing the latest generation for some more fps in a handful of AAA games, not fixing issues with older cards.

I have experienced same with my outdated R9 390. Updating driver often caused more issues than it fixes.

“install latest drivers“ doesn‘t seem to be a good standard advice anymore.

https://i.imgur.com/Ux5konb.png
Memory is showing 6000mhz is this for real or this some bug in msi afterburner showing the wrong speeds? 

Also, the 1660ti is a newer card that the 2060. The 2060 super I believe came later though. So this is by far an outdated/older card. 

I was just recalling after looking up when I bought this card back in june of last year that I hadn't had any problems with this card until and update in september or october of 2020. Thats when all my problems started. one game after another starting having issues. The more driver releases came out the worse the crashes got causing me to switch from playing one unstable game to one that I could play with no issues. Sadly Nvidia doesn't have drivers past november. I'm 100% positive that if I rolled back to a driver from august i'd probably not have these problems anymore. 

30 minutes ago, tenchikun said:

https://i.imgur.com/Ux5konb.png
Memory is showing 6000mhz is this for real or this some bug in msi afterburner showing the wrong speeds? 

That's normal if you put premium gas in the flux capacitor.

I have heard in the past some monitors interfere with other monitors, geforce experience and iCUE I have seen/heard of causing a lot of issues with other applications.

12 hours ago, tenchikun said:

Also, the 1660ti is a newer card that the 2060. The 2060 super I believe came later though. So this is by far an outdated/older card. 

If you ask me you're right, if you ask NVidia it IS an absolutely outdated card (older than 1 year) and you can always buy a 3090 to solve your driver issues 😄

12 hours ago, tenchikun said:

Sadly Nvidia doesn't have drivers past november. I'm 100% positive that if I rolled back to a driver from august i'd probably not have these problems anymore. 

There you go:

https://www.nvidia.de/Download/driverResults.aspx/161417/en

https://www.nvidia.de/Download/driverResults.aspx/157130/en

two older versions of early and mid of 2020

they are there if you know how to look...of course not can be found by the standard "search driver" page... guess why... 

I hope one of them works for you

EDIT:

oops I saw I got the german links/languages...hmmm...does that mean google knows where I live? What magic is this? 😅

Here are the english (UK) versions if that suits you better

First link is from August2020, version you specifically asked for

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/results/162983/

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/161420/en

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/157133/en

2 hours ago, tenchikun said:

It's still ramping up my speed for absolutely no reason

You can look up your cards specs on MSI's site. That 1965 you're getting seems high. This article shows all of MSI's 1660 ti boost speeds and none of them go

as high as yours. Highest boost is 1890. Check what your model is supposed to be.

8 hours ago, tenchikun said:

It's still ramping up my speed for absolutely no reason while just sitting at the main menu. WTF?

To explain that, you could try to enable fps overlay - Steam's own as 7dtd's will not show up at my main menu.

On my computer at least, main menu is pumping out all the fps the card can - ranging in the thousands with the card clocking at its best.

Memory is showing 6000mhz

It strives to show the memory's total "performance" value - displaying the wrong measurement unit, mind you - instead of the memory clock; because higher numbers prompt heightened attention but seldomly worries 😉 .

For GDDR6 memory, that would be, simply put, 8x the memory clock which I think Afterburner does not display at all.

Is it wrong? As wrong as it gets!

Should you worry? No, it is "correct" for AB representation where GPU-Z would display a non-underclocked ( hint, hint) 1500 MHz VRAM clock.

Edited by uncle.heavy
just to make sure (see edit history)

On 5/2/2021 at 7:48 AM, uncle.heavy said:

On my computer at least, main menu is pumping out all the fps the card can

Can't speak to FPS, but the laptop fans are spun up whenever 7D2D is running. Main menu, horde night, doesn't matter. I suspect TFP is mining Doge in the menu.

10 minutes ago, Boidster said:

Can't speak to FPS, but the laptop fans are spun up whenever 7D2D is running. Main menu, horde night, doesn't matter. I suspect TFP is mining Doge in the menu.

😆 You may be right there.

Same for me, fans go rabid from the very start/loading.

I make a use of it though: when it's my turn to clean the house, instead of utilizing the vacuum cleaner I just do a short quest for Jen, and then i scratch the "fur" from my case.

Older driver didn't work. Was about to give up hope and let memtest 86 run again. Found 6 errors on the first pass. second pass found 2 right away, decided to stop it there and order some new ram. It's weird that I got no errors the first time I ran it but lets hope the new ram fixes it. Upgrading from 2400mhz ram to 3600mhz. Got crucial ballistix 16-16-18-38 timing. 

Edited by tenchikun (see edit history)

Too bad to hear driver didn't solve it. Fingers crossed for the new DIMMs to fix it. Damn I hate this undefined and not-reproducable stuff.

If it doesn't work then, my next best guess would be an unstable PSU after all, but that's the next step, let's see.

Good luck and keep us informed.

5 hours ago, tenchikun said:

let memtest 86 run again. Found 6 errors on the first pass.

Finally! It's really good to hear you found something after all this testing. I would've removed and re-seated the ram

before buying new stuff, but, nothing wrong with faster ram. Can I have your old ram? :)

A lot of times, carefully wiping the contacts on the ram sticks and blowing at the contacts on the motherboard (or if you're careful, use a toothbrush), and that might solve the problem. I see ram issues all the time and that's usually the first thing I do which usually fixes the issue. Just be careful not to hit any of the tiny components on the sticks as they can pop off quite easily, so use tissue paper or something light.

The problem with most computers is that the CPU fan blasts air at the ram sticks all the time which allows dust to build up onto it, sometimes getting in the way of the contacts.

Edited by Fox (see edit history)