Does Lucky Looter become obsolete at some point?

Sjustus548

I know at higher game stages you have a chance at getting better loot and points in Lucky Looter gives you a chance at getting better loot on top of your game stage.  I'm wondering is there q game stage where you have the best chance at getting the best loot without any points in Lucky Looter?  Seems like at some point adding 25% chance to get better loot won't actually do anything.  Maybe I'm thinking about it all wrong and someone can set me straight.

With A19 Lucky Looter was nerfed to only increases your Game Stage stat in loot rolls by its percent. So at Game Stage 100 the 25% from Lucky Looter will mean your loot rolls are as if you had a Game Stage of 125. Which is also why Lucky looter is very weak early game to even be hardly noticeable as its bonus is so very tiny.

I worked this out a while back. The answer is (I think) GS 212 for most standard loot, and GS 777 for some high-end loot groups.

On 9/7/2020 at 12:14 AM, Boidster said:

Looks like for T3 loot, 5 levels of LL will kick in about level 72 (giving you access to T3 early) and would stop giving any benefit at level 212*. That's for the standard loot probabilities. There are a couple of probability distributions used in special cases which would still be boosted by LL up to level 777*. Assuming "loot gamestage" is also used when those probabilities are used. They are tied to loot groups (i.e. strong zombie loot bags) so I'd think normal looting rules would apply.

*Note this was actually overstated - at these game stages (not "levels") the benefit of LL would begin to wane; it would not cut off until the max gamestages Meganoth and I discuss below.

Looking at loot.xml I see that there are a few lootprobability templates that are defined up to a gamestage of 974. They aren't used for many things ATM, but assuming you are still looking for night-vision-googles or vehicle parts, you would have maximized your chances of finding them at gamestage 974

Other loot templates seem to stop much earlier, for example tier3 stuff has the best chances after reaching gamestage 266.

6 minutes ago, meganoth said:

assuming you are still looking for night-vision-googles or vehicle parts, you would have maximized your chances of finding them at gamestage 974

That would take some unbelievably bad luck to not have NVG by GS 974  :)

9 minutes ago, Boidster said:

I worked this out a while back. The answer is (I think) level 212 for most standard loot, and level 777 for some high-end loot groups. This is assuming that days alive (as adjusted for deaths) >= level.

Since maximum gamestage is playerlevel*2.4 you should have found some probability increasing up to gamestage 1864. Could you tell me where?

1 minute ago, meganoth said:

...you would have maximized your chances of finding them at gamestage 974...

Other loot templates seem to stop much earlier, for example tier3 stuff has the best chances after reaching gamestage 266.

So I checked my math and we're saying the same thing only slightly differently. For standard loot here's one way to look at it:

GS 0-212: full benefit of 25% LL bonus (fully perked) applies

GS 212-264: LL bonus is helping, but diminishing as you approach GS 265

GS 265+: Fergitin' Elixir time; LL isn't helping

For the higher-end probability templates (like for NVG in some containers):

GS 0-778: full benefit of 25% LL bonus

GS 778-972: diminishing effect from LL

GS 973: time to re-perk

4 minutes ago, meganoth said:

Since maximum gamestage is playerlevel*2.4 you should have found some probability increasing up to gamestage 1864. Could you tell me where?

In that old post I misused the term "level" instead of "gamestage". Sorry for any confusion. You and I are saying the same thing.

4 minutes ago, Boidster said:

So I checked my math and we're saying the same thing only slightly differently. For standard loot here's one way to look at it:

GS 0-212: full benefit of 25% LL bonus (fully perked) applies

GS 212-264: LL bonus is helping, but diminishing as you approach GS 265

GS 265+: Fergitin' Elixir time; LL isn't helping

For the higher-end probability templates (like for NVG in some containers):

GS 0-778: full benefit of 25% LL bonus

GS 778-972: diminishing effect from LL

GS 973: time to re-perk

Ah ok, you were calculating the cutoff point with LL. Since your numbers not the same numbers I saw I thought you really meant player level instead of gamestage level (which also made no sense).

10 minutes ago, JCrook1028 said:

To me the gain of LL is not the better loot is sort of gives. It's the increased looting speed boost. Which yes, is always relevant. I'd even say more relevant at higher stages when higher level z's are coming to eat your face while you're looking at that loot container.

Never loot until all the zeds are dead and area is secure.

21 minutes ago, Danidas said:

Never loot until all the zeds are dead and area is secure.

Where is your sense of adventure? Think of the fun you'll have on your 1.2km journey back to the POI from your respawn point! You might see a bear! The bear might see you! Think of the fun you'll have on your 0.4km journey back to where the bear had lunch!

I picture my toon looking nervously up at the approaching zombies and down at his fumbling hands trying to jimmy the car lock as the timer counts down. Come on come on COME ON! YES!! <runs away while pulling out crossbow>

1 hour ago, JCrook1028 said:

To me the gain of LL is not the better loot is sort of gives. It's the increased looting speed boost. Which yes, is always relevant. I'd even say more relevant at higher stages when higher level z's are coming to eat your face while you're looking at that loot container.

I'm not really concerned about the increased looting speed.  We always make sure the area is secured before we start looting.  Even if a zombie surprises us and starts attacking mid loot we can always cancel out of the loot to kill the zombies before continuing with out looting.  Really if I got rid of Lucky Looter it would probably make looting a POI even faster.  Since I have maxed out LL I'm the only one doing the looting but without it everyone would be contributing to the looting.  There is usually a period of time where the rest of the group is having to wait on me as I try to play catch up.  

22 minutes ago, Sjustus548 said:

I'm not really concerned about the increased looting speed.  We always make sure the area is secured before we start looting.  Even if a zombie surprises us and starts attacking mid loot we can always cancel out of the loot to kill the zombies before continuing with out looting.  Really if I got rid of Lucky Looter it would probably make looting a POI even faster.  Since I have maxed out LL I'm the only one doing the looting but without it everyone would be contributing to the looting.  There is usually a period of time where the rest of the group is having to wait on me as I try to play catch up.  

If I'm not mistaken the game already applies lucky looter to everyone in a group if one person has it as well as everyone in the group loots with who ever has the highest game stage applied to them.

Just now, Danidas said:

If I'm not mistaken the game already applies lucky looter to everyone in a group if one person has it as well as everyone in the group loots with who ever has the highest game stage applied to them.

The perk states that you get a bonus for containers that you open personally.  I wish it would apply to the whole group but it is only the person with Lucky Looter that gets the bonus sadly.

On 9/24/2020 at 12:30 PM, Kalen said:

That would take some unbelievably bad luck to not have NVG by GS 974  :)

No lie, I don't like the NODs. They don't seem to be as good as a weapon light, since that thing is like a miniature sun attached to your gun. I feel like the zombies are just too dark with them. Especially if you are outdoors and looking in the distance.

23 hours ago, Boidster said:

Where is your sense of adventure? Think of the fun you'll have on your 1.2km journey back to the POI from your respawn point! You might see a bear! The bear might see you! Think of the fun you'll have on your 0.4km journey back to where the bear had lunch!

I picture my toon looking nervously up at the approaching zombies and down at his fumbling hands trying to jimmy the car lock as the timer counts down. Come on come on COME ON! YES!! <runs away while pulling out crossbow>

loot n scoot is my MO. I am like the grinch, I fill up until I drag my bag on the floor and run away to my base

Archived