RNG Map generation

nitnoid

Hey folks, just a quick question (hopefully).  Haven't played in a while and decided to load up a random map game.  Was wondering, with default settings, is it normal to take nearly an hour to generate a default random map?  I know it the past, it took a bit, but I was usually up and running in about 5 minutes max.  Not a big deal once its done but it seems a bit excessive to me.  Thanks!

44 minutes ago, nitnoid said:

Hey folks, just a quick question (hopefully).  Haven't played in a while and decided to load up a random map game.  Was wondering, with default settings, is it normal to take nearly an hour to generate a default random map?  I know it the past, it took a bit, but I was usually up and running in about 5 minutes max.  Not a big deal once its done but it seems a bit excessive to me.  Thanks!

Yes unfortunately it's normal.

This takes 2-3 min and is insanely better in all ways.

https://community.7daystodie.com/topic/12730-a19-nitrogen-a-random-world-generator-for-7dtd/

It takes over 20 minutes for an 8k map on my computer.  And yeah, with NitroGen you can generate a 16k map in less time than it takes to generate a 4k map with the built-in RWG.  But I think it is unfair to claim that NitroGen is "insanely better in all ways".  I don't think it is better in all ways but it is most certainly insanely faster.

hmm  8k  takes 5-10  min for me ... just leave lot of mess stuck in ram afterward

hour definitely doesnt sound right .... maybe you dont have enought ram ( 8gb for example)  and game struggle to deal with it slowing process?

if  you are average player ....  you can just use one of three pregenerated maps that are included in  7 days  (4th is navezgane)

pregen  1 2 3  are all  generated 8k maps  ... with added  missing poi with no major issues so unless you are bored with those already ... or for example generating map for some server you can enjoy  those skiping generation completely

5 minutes ago, nitnoid said:

I meet the recommended specs with 16gb RAM.  It took over an hour but whatever it defaults to is what was selected.  I'll try 8k next time I generate a map.  Thanks for the input!

Ram has very little to do with actual generation time. It is all CPU bound. If you have a under performing CPU it will take longer. I would suggest generate a few in Nitrogen. You get all of the removed POIs back. and you can fine tune and even get a full map of your world.

19 minutes ago, kidmo31 said:

Ram has very little to do with actual generation time. It is all CPU bound. If you have a under performing CPU it will take longer. I would suggest generate a few in Nitrogen. You get all of the removed POIs back. and you can fine tune and even get a full map of your world.

actually if you run out of ram  it  slows any aplication to crawl OS  starts  dumping  and loading stuff on hdd or ssd  thats extremely slow compared to ram   ... if it doesnt crash straight  away

from small test  .. generating map takes  95-97% cpu   ... if i fill ram beforehand   iam stuck at  10% or less with SSD  thats why i mentioned it as possible problem when he generate map  60 min+

8k map is maximum supported actually

nitrogen is always option  its  faster  but maps   from it are  ... meh   try it you may like it ... but  wasteland  zone is in weird circles instead  normal biome ... burned is messed as well  and cities are mostly t4 t5   poi  with close to  no normal houses .... last time i tried i had 37   skyscrappers in "default" city   next to each other lol  with few caravans and lumberyard  between

On 9/16/2020 at 9:29 PM, alanea said:

actually if you run out of ram  it  slows any aplication to crawl OS  starts  dumping  and loading stuff on hdd or ssd  thats extremely slow compared to ram   ... if it doesnt crash straight  away

from small test  .. generating map takes  95-97% cpu   ... if i fill ram beforehand   iam stuck at  10% or less with SSD  thats why i mentioned it as possible problem when he generate map  60 min+

8k map is maximum supported actually

nitrogen is always option  its  faster  but maps   from it are  ... meh   try it you may like it ... but  wasteland  zone is in weird circles instead  normal biome ... burned is messed as well  and cities are mostly t4 t5   poi  with close to  no normal houses .... last time i tried i had 37   skyscrappers in "default" city   next to each other lol  with few caravans and lumberyard  between

The  running out of ram generating the map I have never seen. Granted I am running 32 GB but I have run out trying to load a game that was 8k. As for the wasteland it was intended to be a fallout zone where it got nuked hence the whole "radiated zombies" those explosions tend to be a circular area so I cannot fault the generator as its not a biome but a area effected by a outside force. Also you can go in a modify the settings for buildings and if you tweak the sliders in Nitro it will cause those effects too. I have never had issues with no houses unless I tweak the city stuff to maximum settings. Its all trial and error.

6 hours ago, kidmo31 said:

The  running out of ram generating the map I have never seen. Granted I am running 32 GB but I have run out trying to load a game that was 8k. As for the wasteland it was intended to be a fallout zone where it got nuked hence the whole "radiated zombies" those explosions tend to be a circular area so I cannot fault the generator as its not a biome but a area effected by a outside force. Also you can go in a modify the settings for buildings and if you tweak the sliders in Nitro it will cause those effects too. I have never had issues with no houses unless I tweak the city stuff to maximum settings. Its all trial and error.

its unclear what exactly happened ... nuking wouldnt leave so many "mostly untouched"   buildings as well as tall ones ...  or make many small craters in streets

well wasteland in circles  in  nitrogen author own choicenot based on anything we see in game  in  7 sats .. canon  is defined by navezgane  we are all used to wasteland shape as  decided by devs .. and weird circles all around map are just weird and useless .. actually most people seems to prefer larger biomes (funny how  90% cars ended in nuke areas :D   .. guess they aimed nukes on parking lots in this theory)....we also have radiation as border  so  7 days likely happen in small pocket of untouched ground .. with corner ( wasteland)   being relatively safe but damaged

same as extremely random burned biome strips

On 9/16/2020 at 11:36 PM, Maharin said:

But I think it is unfair to claim that NitroGen is "insanely better in all ways".  I don't think it is better in all ways but it is most certainly insanely faster.

In which way it is not better?

The only thing where it is better i can imagine is, it's integrated into the game and you don't need to care about copying map folders around. But that's it.

Map generation time hardly depends on your hardware. It uses CPU, RAM and afaik also the GPU (if present). Last RWG 8k map i played with a friend took almost 2 hours to generate on a server with some old phenom x6 and no graphics card present.

I was paying attention to that when A19 went stable.

Using MSI Afterburner to monitor the CPU and GPU i never got the GPU to more than 30% usage wich was only a spike of a few seconds, the rest of the time it was under 20%.

VRam usage was 4GB constantly. Nvidia GTX1070

CPU had a spike at start with 99% usage, had a few moments with over 30% but stayed under 20% for like 85% of the time. AMD R5 3600

13-14mins of generation time.

Didn´t have the RAM usage on the screen. Gonna test that later maybe.

@Maharin What is worse on Nitrogen than it is on the built in RWG? Other than the few extrasteps for downloading it, choosing from the ton´s of options and copying the map into the right folder with the 2 buttons that even open up the 2 folders you need? All that is still faster than generating one RWG map.

21 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

CPU had a spike at start with 99% usage, had a few moments with over 30% but stayed under 20% for like 85% of the time. AMD R5 3600

Same here. There seem to be serverall process stages during map generation, and the low CPU usage seems top be caused by several of that stages are no capable to use multi core. I took a look at different cores, and when the cpu usage was <20%, there where 1-2 cores at 100% while my other 14-15 (virtuals) did nothing (on a R7 2700X).

We also had a comaprison with A18 where a Core i7-7700K@5Ghz was significantly faster on generating maps than my 2700X. Which again leads to the result: It's just poorly multithreading, therefore the singlecore performance of the cpu is more important, while more cores help almost nothing.

21 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Didn´t have the RAM usage on the screen. Gonna test that later maybe.

RAM usage goes really high when generating a 8k map, but should still work with 16GB, if there are not tons of background programms running that also need RAM.

7 hours ago, Liesel Weppen said:

In which way it is not better?

The only thing where it is better i can imagine is, it's integrated into the game and you don't need to care about copying map folders around. But that's it.

Map generation time hardly depends on your hardware. It uses CPU, RAM and afaik also the GPU (if present). Last RWG 8k map i played with a friend took almost 2 hours to generate on a server with some old phenom x6 and no graphics card present.

Mostly some differences in terrain generation.  Sometimes I like the built-in version over the other one.

Archived