How do secret stashes work for traders?

AlyssaFaden

In previous alphas I understood the trader secret stashes, because there were icons for each stash. Don't have access to a stash? no icon

But I'm watching JaWoodle and he keeps hitting up a secret stash and a "secret secret stash" by flipping the goggles he's wearing????

I can't figure out how secret stashes are meant to be working in A19.

Hmm, there is lucky googles that give you a loot bonus. Not sure if they really work with the traders secret stash. Or maybe he is switching to his nerdy glasses for an intelligence bonus, might be he has better barter skill that needs more than his natural intelligence attribute so he needs nerdy glasses for plus 1 intelligence. 

Would be usefull to know to wich glasses he is switching.

The higher your better barter, the bigger the secret stash and the better the goodies you get there.

The first rule of the Secret Secret Stash is: do not talk about the Secret Secret Stash.

What's probably happening (I have not watched the video) is he's using a combination of Better Barter and Nerdy Glasses, which give +1 int. For example, if you buy your INT up to 9, then put on the Nerdy Glasses you will have 10/10. This allows you to buy Better Barter up to its max level.

With the glasses off, INT is only 9/10 and that last level of Better Barter does not apply. Secret Stash haz:

image.png.abd7701ea39e9ad780fb46bc8b4c9feb.png

Putting on the Nerdy Glasses takes me back to 10/10 INT and activates the last level of Better Barter:

image.png.e4285f9c4a4cf03bdb8cf754db8c268d.png

19 minutes ago, Boidster said:

The first rule of the Secret Secret Stash is: do not talk about the Secret Secret Stash.

What's probably happening (I have not watched the video) is he's using a combination of Better Barter and Nerdy Glasses, which give +1 int. For example, if you buy your INT up to 9, then put on the Nerdy Glasses you will have 10/10. This allows you to buy Better Barter up to its max level.

With the glasses off, INT is only 9/10 and that last level of Better Barter does not apply. Secret Stash haz:

Putting on the Nerdy Glasses takes me back to 10/10 INT and activates the last level of Better Barter:

Huh, I didn't think of that.... that's brilliant.   Meta-gaming beyond belief, so I wouldn't do it.... but brilliant nevertheless.

43 minutes ago, Kalen said:

Huh, I didn't think of that.... that's brilliant.   Meta-gaming beyond belief, so I wouldn't do it.... but brilliant nevertheless.

I thought it was interesting that the game allows you to buy perk levels based on item-modified stat values. At least it is consistent that you don't get the benefit of those perks if you're not wearing the boosting item. Among recent games I've played, The Division 2 worked the same way, but a couple of orders of magnitude worse. You need X points of "science" boosting gear to activate such-and-such science perk, and swapping out your gloves could turn off X perk while turning on Y perk. It was a min/maxers dream; I got annoyed with spending 20 minutes after each mission comparing the 4 SMGs, 2 helmets, and 3 holsters I found to figure out which would make/break my playstyle. At least with 7D2D there is just one +int item and it shouldn't be too difficult to remember to wear the glasses and light the cigar before talking to the trader.

2 minutes ago, Boidster said:

I got annoyed with spending 20 minutes after each mission comparing the 4 SMGs, 2 helmets, and 3 holsters I found to figure out which would make/break my playstyle

I'm getting too old for that kind of work!

6 minutes ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

That´s the intended use of the glasses tbh. Not even close to cheesing or exploiting imo.

I have a hard time believing the intended use of the glasses it to get two sets of secret stash every trip to the trader....

38 minutes ago, Kalen said:

I have a hard time believing the intended use of the glasses it to get two sets of secret stash every trip to the trader....

Yeah, they need to tweak Better Barter so that additional items get added to the stash, not so it re-rolls the whole thing.

1 hour ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

That´s the intended use of the glasses tbh. Not even close to cheesing or exploiting imo.

I would be shocked if it's intentional, in fact this is exactly the type of thing they generally nerf. One example being how holding the magnum used to intimidate the vending machines into giving better prices.  It's just an oversight in the code. 

I know I've been able to do this for at least two alphas so it's flown under the radar for awhile but I';ve seen a few people on Youtube do this so I bet it is fixed for A20. 

I can confirm that Jawoodle does use nerdy glasses for the secret stash trick. 

He always keeps nerdy glasses and loot glasses. Puts on the nerdy glasses while killing things, selling things, mining, etc. Switches to the looting goggles before he loots anything, then back to the nerdy glasses for the + exp gain. And nerdy glasses to start with at any trader for the extra exp and gold from selling, as well as the best price for buying. Then he checks the best secret stash. Once he's done shopping that secret stash, he switches back to his looting goggles to check the one-level-lower secret stash.

9 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Well i didn´t realize it does a complete reroll. I thougt you just get items added to the existing one.

Each level of Better Barter has a different item table. Crucibles can be found at level 3 of Better Barter, solar cells at level 4 and solar banks at level 5.

To just add items they would have to setup the secret stash differently. There would be some items available as a base and for each level 2-3 items corresponding to this level would be added.

To be honest, I don't see it as a big deal. As you can see here, only some of the players know about the trick and not everyone is like JaWoodle and really tries to get the most out of the traders. He even eats Sugar Butts every time he visits the trader. I am too lazy for that.

Yeah i do know that every stage gives you more choice. Just didn´t realize you can actually change the whole secret stash switching nerdy glasses instantly. Was assuming that you have your better barter 3 items and if you switch to nerdy glasses it just adds the tier 4 items to the existing stash.

I use sugarbutts if they are available in the vending machine when i go to the trader. Or pumpkin cheese cake if i don´t forget it.

Archived