Awful zombie spawn positions

ZehMatt

16 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

Yeah, so it is not to your liking because you can´t just grab the loot superfast. Who would have thought. Is it logical to break down doors and make noise in a zombie apocalypse or should you rather be as quiet as possible?

Honestly seeing how freakin empty the streets are in general it makes sense that you break down doors and windows but this is not the problem here.

Take a look at my upper example, i literally opened a door to an empty room and as soon as i stepped in the zeds spawned i could literally see them spawning. If you break into a house only to see a zombie impossibly spawn that ruins immersion.

5 hours ago, Solomon said:

Take a look at my upper example, i literally opened a door to an empty room and as soon as i stepped in the zeds spawned i could literally see them spawning.

What example? You are describing generic doors into generic empty rooms and spawns happened right in front of you. Which POI and which door? Sleepers popping into existence ought to be a bug. They may be hidden and surprise you (even from behind - POI developers are devious like that), but they should not pop into an empty room. I've never seen that happen in the game, but I believe that it's happening - apparently pretty frequently - to you. Where? Specifics about the POI and the room would let us duplicate the bug and then report it. I will happily load the POI into the editor and look at the sleeper volumes in the room where it happened*.

*Sorry, Aaron Burr, still not your turn

2 hours ago, Boidster said:

What example? You are describing generic doors into generic empty rooms and spawns happened right in front of you. Which POI and which door? Sleepers popping into existence ought to be a bug. They may be hidden and surprise you (even from behind - POI developers are devious like that), but they should not pop into an empty room. I've never seen that happen in the game, but I believe that it's happening - apparently pretty frequently - to you. Where? Specifics about the POI and the room would let us duplicate the bug and then report it. I will happily load the POI into the editor and look at the sleeper volumes in the room where it happened*.

*Sorry, Aaron Burr, still not your turn

I jinxed myself today with that. After saying that yesterday I had a spastic pop up behind me. 😁

Any idea the POI you were in? I honestly do not think TFP intends for zombies to pop into existence in POIs. Maybe it's already a reported bug.

ETA: I searched through the last 30 days or so of bug reports and I didn't see anything reported, but there are a lot of them and I might have missed it. If we can get a POI where this occurs repeatably, we can get it fixed.

1 hour ago, Boidster said:

Any idea the POI you were in? I honestly do not think TFP intends for zombies to pop into existence in POIs. Maybe it's already a reported bug.

ETA: I searched through the last 30 days or so of bug reports and I didn't see anything reported, but there are a lot of them and I might have missed it. If we can get a POI where this occurs repeatably, we can get it fixed.

That's because in the past 7 years of supporting this game, 95% of the people who report the issue are either well below specs required to play, or have other system issues that prevent the game client from operating optimally. In the remaining, a grand majority are playing on servers that either have sub-par hardware, or have sync issues with the server.

If your system supports the client, and operates properly, this is not an issue.

15 hours ago, Boidster said:

Which POI and which door?

Shotgun Messiah factory, behind a vault door theres this circular thing what looks like somekind of smelter with burnt wood in the middle. Opening the door and entering fast enough makes the zombies spawn out of thin air.

The room was literally empty and i can repeat this with dm, you fly into the place ignoring the way you suppose to take and if you are fast enough you can see the burning guys coming to existance right there.

On 8/7/2020 at 7:56 PM, Gideon said:

More roaming zombies is easily accomplished by tweaking some of the xml files. I'm not saying you should have to, just that it is easily achieved.

I think the sleepers jumping out of things/falling down is supposed to represent a horror movie sort of jump scare.

As for zombies appearing out of thin air behind you, I've seen people complain about this for quite a while, and never ONCE experienced it myself. Every time I have had a zombie come up behind me, it is always in circumstances where I didn't clear a room completely or they pathed in to me from outside if I'm in a building already.

I have seen them pop in at extreme close range from mid-air.

Like walking up a set of stairs, and when I got to the top, a zom pops in like 8 feet away on the landing.

15 hours ago, Boidster said:

Mine always occurs in the two story ranch, with the big above ground swimming pool in the backyard, where the backyard has a wooden fence, and there is a zombie dog always there.

When I go up the stairs, when I get to the top if I look to the right as I arrive, a zombie will pop in sitting on the floor in the corner.

The big T5 apartment building has that room with the floor that gives way and drops you into the room below, to get ambushed by zombies. If you avoid getting dropped and look through the open floor, the zombies aren't visible. They only spawn in when you jump down.

My hardware is up to snuff, I don't play online, and I've still had other instances where rooms appeared empty until I moved closer. It's not very common, but it happens, especially if you play this game like a voxel game with destructible environments (silly, I know).

@Hrod Land maybe read carefully? "or other system issues" I had those spawns for a short while. When a new GPU driver dropped, i updated and no more mid air spawns. Might not be your solution to this problem tough.

That said it is still a problem that the game seems to be very picky in this situation. So TFP should look into that anyways.

Ah yes, "other system issues", that well known cause of bugs. Completely missed that useful bit of info. I'll try to read more carefully next time, sir.

19 hours ago, Boidster said:

I'll make a note next time it happens. Right now I just moved to the A19 test which on one hand love the new graphics but some of the more annoying issues is primitive bow not showing arrows notched or my arrows that are on a zombie dancing in the original impact zone away from said zombie.

On 8/12/2020 at 2:38 AM, Solomon said:

Shotgun Messiah factory, behind a vault door theres this circular thing what looks like somekind of smelter with burnt wood in the middle. Opening the door and entering fast enough makes the zombies spawn out of thin air.

Excellent, thanks! You're talking about this room, right?

image.png.bb59191651522fd7d41126ae79bc30d4.png

Here's a thing you can do: from the main menu choose Editing Tools, then Level/Prefab Editor. After it loads, hit Esc to bring up the menu and on the right side click the last icon (two houses). In the bottom search box type "factory" and load up factory_lg_02, which is the Shotgun Messiah factory.

Go to that room and float up just a bit. Here are your zombies that popped in from nowhere. They are waiting on the pipes and drop down right next to you. If they appeared to spawn right in your face, then I think SylenThunder's response applies. (Edit: see my post on Pg 3 for more info; not certain about this any more.)

image.png.82aac81ccc58dacd8a99b575c8d57533.png

If you toggle on the sleeper volumes you can see that that entire smelter box is a volume. Setting foot into it will make the zombies drop.

image.png.61892a48bac467fbfd9a1c16b1eb9b67.png

10 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

@Solomon carefully read the post above yours. It´s not the fault of the game. Nor has it anything to do with the "wrong" path.

Im running the game at max graphics solo, no fps drops or other problems apply.

5 hours ago, Boidster said:

Excellent, thanks! You're talking about this room, right?

image.png.bb59191651522fd7d41126ae79bc30d4.png

Here's a thing you can do: from the main menu choose Editing Tools, then Level/Prefab Editor. After it loads, hit Esc to bring up the menu and on the right side click the last icon (two houses). In the bottom search box type "factory" and load up factory_lg_02, which is the Shotgun Messiah factory.

Go to that room and float up just a bit. Here are your zombies that popped in from nowhere. They are waiting on the pipes and drop down right next to you. If they appeared to spawn right in your face, then I think SylenThunder's response applies.

image.png.82aac81ccc58dacd8a99b575c8d57533.png

If you toggle on the sleeper volumes you can see that that entire smelter box is a volume. Setting foot into it will make the zombies drop.

image.png.61892a48bac467fbfd9a1c16b1eb9b67.png

Thats the exact place, i solo entered the room and i seen the zombies literally appear out of thin air on the pipes. The interesting thing with the place is that i can actually float into it with the dm command, nothing is inside (?), drop down and open the door what causes them to actually appear. Same deal on my brothers computer A18 btw.

On 8/12/2020 at 2:44 PM, Solomon said:

Thats the exact place, i solo entered the room and i seen the zombies literally appear out of thin air on the pipes. The interesting thing with the place is that i can actually float into it with the dm command, nothing is inside (?), drop down and open the door what causes them to actually appear. Same deal on my brothers computer A18 btw.

Interesting. I just tried on A19 and the zombies were there when I God-moded into the room. (Edit: see post on pg 3 for more on this) Forgot to turn off AI so 2 of them turned to face me when I flew too far into the room. But they were all there even when I was peeking in from halfway through the wall. I'll try again in A18.

image.png.e2dec572f81b2f6711ac89b17dc7b599.png

ETA - here they are in A18, waiting to pounce. This time I just nudged far enough into the wall to see into the room (you can see the partial wall textures/lettering to the right of the pistol). Did not trigger them.

image.png.07fbb862756ff6dc954f4d80f10ba3e6.png

@SolomonI know this room. They are where they are supposed to be, everytime, i live near that factory and have done the quest there at least 15 times already in A19. No problems at all, no matter wich route i take. Same for A18, have done this POI numerous times also, no propblems in this room or POI.

I would suggest posting in the general support section to find out where the problem is. Also recommended for @Hrod Land

Don´t forget to inlcude your logs tough.

The spawning situation is also not specific to POIs, during Horde/Blood-Night or whatever you wanna call it you can actually see them spawn. Or when you do a buried chest quest, zombies will immediately spawn around the area the moment you clear the chest, come on.

Also given this is a "sandbox" game, when I decide to use frames to go up high buildings and not hitting the supposed trigger volumes this leads exactly to this problem I have. I don't see why they cant be already spawned but being in-active/dormant like a lot of other games do it, when getting close to enemies it should turn them active, having an entity that doesn't update because its dormant should have the same effect as spawning them in later resource/performance wise, culling should also prevent rendering things that are simply not visible, I'm absolutely not seeing why its done like that, but developers often don't care to respond to those questions. So when I make a ruckus outside a building I will not get the zombies to come out as they simply don't exist yet, which is disappointing.

The situation is just overall sad, sleepers don't make a lot of sense in my eyes, zombies can wander around for weeks without getting tired but some of them decided to rather stay where they are and simply fall asleep? I would much rather have the sleepers entirely wiped from the game and have zombies trapped inside buildings which is more coherent to the world we are thrown in. That's why I also probably find every version before A17 more fun, it was a bit more believable that zombies are just everywhere and that being a result of some @%$*#! that happened years ago in the game. Also yes I'm aware that I can disable sleepers but then every house would become boring knowing no zombie can exist in there.

7 hours ago, pApA^LeGBa said:

@SolomonI know this room. They are where they are supposed to be, everytime, i live near that factory and have done the quest there at least 15 times already in A19. No problems at all, no matter wich route i take. Same for A18, have done this POI numerous times also, no propblems in this room or POI.

I would suggest posting in the general support section to find out where the problem is. Also recommended for @Hrod Land

Don´t forget to inlcude your logs tough.

Two different computers having the exact same problems? Our hardware and software doesnt even match.

Also just for the cherry top, if i leave the doors open on both sides, i can actually run throught this specific point without any spawns happening, but im gonna try to remember to log it next time.

On 8/12/2020 at 11:39 PM, ZehMatt said:

I don't see why they cant be already spawned but being in-active/dormant like a lot of other games do it

That is literally how it is done. See the screenshots above.

Edit to add: see more test results on pg 3 of thread. I'm more in agreement after those tests.

1 hour ago, Boidster said:

That is literally how it is done. See the screenshots above.

That is not what the code says, and I spent a fair amount in the Decompiled code. Zombies only spawn when you enter a certain volume, period.

Archived