Steel tools. pass or use?

Slingblade2040

So since alpha 17 I have skipped steel tools. haven't seen the need to use them since they didn't offer much of an upgrade and now with people having stamina issues and how the game progressesthat by the time steel tools are available you can either craft, purchase or get rewarded an auger from quests. Yes I am aware that machine tools will be using stamina in much later updates which then bring it to the original issue. what is the point of going up to a supposedly better tier item if it offers little to no benefits?

If I can two shot a node with a iron or steel tool and both give the same resources back then what's the point of using steel if it'll just drain more stamina? heck what would be the point of machine tools since they would not only drain stamina and needs repairs but also require gas.

This same logic can be applied to weapons in the game. When is an upgrade really an upgrade?

Stamina is not an issue with steel tools by the time they start dropping in loot. 4 points in sex rex, ergonomic grip, coffee or even regular water, unequipped armour.
I'm 3 shotting ore with my Q5 steel pick with 4 points in 69'er and 5 in mother lode, my iron pick takes 5 shots per ore.

I personally stick with the stone axe until I get a Q3 iron pick with a high stats roll

14 hours ago, FranticDan said:

Stamina is not an issue with steel tools by the time they start dropping in loot. 4 points in sex rex, ergonomic grip, coffee or even regular water, unequipped armour.
I'm 3 shotting ore with my Q5 steel pick with 4 points in 69'er and 5 in mother lode, my iron pick takes 5 shots per ore.

I personally stick with the stone axe until I get a Q3 iron pick with a high stats roll

Armor affects only sprinting stamina regen. Confirmed by dev

57 minutes ago, palikkamaa said:

Armor affects only sprinting stamina regen. Confirmed by dev

Confirmed.  I tested this myself on b169.

Iron tools use less stamina on this update, which is definitely a good thing.  But i think they stamina on steel tools could be slightly rebalanced.  Lower the stamina usage just a little bit, maybe 3-5%, they should be usable without maxing out sex rex.

3 hours ago, sonicdeathmnkey said:

Confirmed.  I tested this myself on b169.

Iron tools use less stamina on this update, which is definitely a good thing.  But i think they stamina on steel tools could be slightly rebalanced.  Lower the stamina usage just a little bit, maybe 3-5%, they should be usable without maxing out sex rex.

They are usable, just not well. Steel tools are for the miners, the people who have specialized in it. Like a person who picks up a shotgun isnt very good with it, a person who occasionally used a steel pickaxe wont be very good at using it. 

I always have an auger by the time I am able to make or loot a steel pickaxe, so I haven't had the need.  I'll loot a steel shovel or pickaxe before I have to make them also.  I've never made a single steel tool in all of A19. They might as well get rid of them, at least the crafting of them.

In my current playthough, I am reduced to only stone aged things as made tools (even if I find the schematic, I can't make above a stone ax/shovel/bone knife etc) {Best gun I can use is the blunderbuss, I sell all the others}

I can use found tools but cannot repair them, so once they hit 0 durability, that's it.

Tools are worth quite a bit more to me, I have an entire chest devoted to iron pickaxes alone since I have this restriction.

10 hours ago, RyanX said:

I always have an auger by the time I am able to make or loot a steel pickaxe, so I haven't had the need.  I'll loot a steel shovel or pickaxe before I have to make them also.  I've never made a single steel tool in all of A19. They might as well get rid of them, at least the crafting of them.

That might be the case for you.  I've had spent about 45 hours in my latest game and have not gotten either an auger or the schematic.  I just got my first chain saw last night on day 30 with 90 minutes days, and it's only a q2.

On 7/26/2020 at 3:24 PM, FranticDan said:

Issue here is that Fun Pimps want us to specialize. So, not every character can go deep strength.

Personally, no big deal. However, I recognize that my tendency to exclusively play with a group of friends gives me very different results from solo players.

Archived