Is stealth broke again? Also a19 is generally not fun. Various other things.

Scyris

For me it works as good as in A18. No skillpoints invested into stealth but as long as I don't walk over trash or glass on the floor distant zombies don't wake up and I can take out one after another with bow & arrows.

Takes a lot of time but is much fun I think :)

As far as I can tell, putting the muffled connectors in padded armor doesn't do anything. They don't have any sound penalty to begin with. The stealth boots are kind of a joke. You can only get them in t5 because you have to make them, and all they are is military boots with no sound penalty. Again, pointless to put muffled connectors in and not going to be as good of armor as t6 military boots with the muffled mod.

The reason that most of you are having mixed results comes down to a few things.

1. There are several POIs with what are called volume triggers. It doesn't matter if you have max sneak or not, you will trigger the zombies when you cross into the zone.

2. Light level makes a huge difference in how close you can get to the zombies before they wake up. Also if they are facing you or not seems to matter.

3. Sneak sprinting raises your noise level some. Try to make sure you are not holding the sprint key when you creep up on a sleeping zombie.

4. Walking over any sort of trash pile will make a lot of noise. At least until you get the book that makes that silent. As will jumping and falling until you get that book.

5. Shooting rapidly makes more noise. Try to avoid it.

6. Even silenced weapons are not totally silent. The pistols with a suppressor are pretty quiet. Not quiet enough that you can be standing next to a zombie and wake one up while shooting another. Choose which zombies you will shoot first more carefully if you can. Preferably closest first and try to be as far away as you can realistically get.

I have no problems clearing most POIs when I take that into consideration. Like I said though, some POIs will trigger the zombies no matter what. There is one of the fire stations that you cannot sneak in at all. There are a few other POIs that trigger zombies automatically if you step into the loot room.

I only wear padded armor BTW. I have crawled all the t5 POIs so far in A19 and I have not found one yet that I can't sneak kill every single enemy with a little luck depending on where they spawn. I wake one up occasionally but it has not been a real issue so far.

As a long time player that uses stealth builds while on solo worlds, I'm having mixed results lately.  Even throwing stones to distract zeds is inconsistent. 

that being said, I almost never perk into stealth.  I slot muffle mods where I can, though.

On 7/22/2020 at 2:52 AM, Scyris said:

I am asking because I have level 1 in the sneaking perk, full padded armor with 3 pieces with -8% sound in them, and zombies still seem to be able to hear me when I am sneaking from half a 20 block room away. Also, the a-hole move by the poi designers with putting glass or paper in front of every door in the path you have to take was not needed in the dungeon style poi's for one it breaks immersion as it makes NO damn sense why its ALWAYS in those spots. Stealth is useless enough as it is due to it just not seeming to work. Not to mention all the zombies in stupid places that seem to be put there specifically to screw stealth builds, as you cannot get a clear shot without aggroing them.. ever, nevermind the paper and glass in front of every single door on the maze's path.

I mean the zombies have some of the best hearing i've ever seen in a game that has stealth. Its just too good, if using full padded you should be able to get within 2-3 blocks at least without them waking up. In another game, again full padded armor so 0 extra sound from armor, and 3-4 pieces with -8% sound reducing mods+level 3 in the stealth perk, its still super easy for zombies to spot me. The aggro rooms should go to, everything in a room shouldn't just aggro because you walk past the door way, it completly breaks stealth builds and makes them useless. The last time stealth was good honestly was A16, its been pretty much garbage since.

Honestly, I may just drop the game for now till a20, its just not fun anymore what with stealth being compeltly broken from what I can tell, and the loot system being super boring as its the same every single game with 0 variance, its just not fun to play now. I really liked the loot randomness A17/18 had, no gaurnteed 5-6 quality items in every single box/chest, completly random whatt you got and mostly quality 1-3, with 4-6 being very rare even at high gamestage. A17 was pretty linear as you were shoehorned into stats since schematics weren't a thing then, this was fixed with a18, but kinda broken again with a19, as the randomness is gone, and all loot is completly linear. I much prefer a18's loot system as does most people, if you got lucky you could have steel tools on day 1, thats just the thing though its luck, however there is a problem with the loot system as a whole i'll go into detail below.

The main problem with loot also is the fact that every single dungeon style poi has a loot chest at the end, this makes it far to easy to find things. Its much worse in a19 with how super linear all the loot is, you know your never going to find anything of value for sure depending on what gamestage your at. IMO the loot chest should only have a 10% chance to spawn, maybe 20% max in each poi, do that then put back a18-style loot.

The dungeon style poi's, Ok some poi's should be like this, maybe a very few of them, but seriously? almost every one? what the hell kind of world does this game take place in where every little house is setup like a maze? Barricaded doors make sense, but the way every poi just about is a preset maze is kinda silly. In A17 when this was new, I loved the idea, but in A19 with the garbage loot system, stealth being seemingly busted, and poi's being designed to screw stealth builds anyway possible due to spawns that never have a clear shot and you cannot get one with waking up the room, or the whole room waking up second you walk in system no matter how high stealth is. Its just a bad combo. I mostly loot poi's thru trader quests so I can double dip, 1 on the loot chest 1 for the turn in at trader. I usually never purposfully loot a poi twice using the quest to reset it, personal choice, some do it, I don't just like I don't junk turret cheese, I never use them period except on horde nights as static defense.

I do like the new graphics though, but seriously, less work needs to be done on graphics now and more on improving things that are broken, like the poor loot system in a19, stealth and the stuff specifically set there to screw stealth builds over, the dungeon style poi's honestly need to go or be made super rare and only specific poi's.

Don't get em wrong usually I have little issues with most alphas but this one just seems like ugh, so many things done/gone wrong.

P.s. props to you if you read this far, I know reading is hard for some people who have the attention span of a gnat people tend to have these days.

Stealth seems to be working for me not sure what your doing wrong, and the trash and glass brake it or dont complain, for the loot system its ok, if you dont like it  you can make a mod that uses the loot system of a18. 

That trash. It was always there. Before those books even existed in game. Stealth is not working as it should, way too many POI´s where they just wake up no matter how silent you are and how many perks or books you have. But that is not stealth itself that doesn´t work, it´s a problem with the sleeper volumes.

On 7/22/2020 at 8:52 AM, Scyris said:

The main problem with loot also is the fact that every single dungeon style poi has a loot chest at the end, this makes it far to easy to find things. Its much worse in a19 with how super linear all the loot is, you know your never going to find anything of value for sure depending on what gamestage your at. IMO the loot chest should only have a 10% chance to spawn, maybe 20% max in each poi, do that then put back a18-style loot.

The dungeon style poi's, Ok some poi's should be like this, maybe a very few of them, but seriously? almost every one?

I completely agree, with the terribly linear loot starting with items what shouldnt even be there we get these classic rpg style dungeons where each bigger place has these big chests for you to get what you can almost always can guess what will be inside.

Its no fun when i know exactly what will come, where it is and how to get it the fastest.

I can confirm stealth is a bit broken and this is even with the book perks to help your stelth.  Plus TFP Scripted instant spawning "sleeping" hordes triggered by proxy like in the attic and other scipted pois just 100 % unfair to maxxed out stealth characters that are automtically seen.

1 hour ago, Ripflex said:

I can confirm stealth is a bit broken and this is even with the book perks to help your stelth.  Plus TFP Scripted instant spawning "sleeping" hordes triggered by proxy like in the attic and other scipted pois just 100 % unfair to maxxed out stealth characters that are automtically seen.

Like I said, the devs keep trying to screw stealth players over, just like they removed many other choices, like if I wanna hide in a hole on blood moon night I should damn well be allowed to if I want to, its my choice, but no, they had to take that choice away. Main reason I made underground bases was not to avoid the horde, its the crappy SI system, and the fact that putting 1 block over the limit can cause your ENTIRE build to cascade and come down, instead of just dropping ONLY the most recent block. I never build bases anymore, as its way to easy to collapse them by accdient. I now just take over poi's that have at least stone walls. the brown church with no fence is a good one, remove the back stairs, board up the back entrance, and the zombies will path and always come in the front if you leave it open. My day 7 horde in that poi I literally sit there behind 1 layer of cobblestone and melee the zombies to death, they can't do enough to it fast enough that I can't easy out repair their dps on it. with 5 str+ a baseball bat (can make a tier 4 by then), female zombies down in 2 head shots, males 2 head 1 body shot for the normals, a bit more for fatties. This'll change though once higher GS zombies and such show, but i've done the day 14 horde the same way in a19 as well, just sitting behind 1 layer. Haven't really gotten to day 21 horde yet, as I am usually falling asleep playing around day 14, due to just 0 fun in looting anymore.

I want a18 style looting back, where you can get lucky and find steel stuff on day 1 if your luck is good, and quality 4-6 stuff was very rare even at high GS, so it made crafting worth it. I miss that pure rng funkiness where you find something really nice in the first few days, thats just not a thing anymore in a19, as they made loot completly linear, not to mention its way to easy to get quality 5-6 items in A19, they drop out of literally every box/container like candy once your GS is a bit past tthe mid point for that tier. Like I said in another thread I  hope in one of the a19.x patches they go back to a18 loot style and add the new stuff in, cuz the current system, in a19 is garbage, and has ruined the game for many players. I hear most of a19 complaints so far being about the new loot system, either that or food, cuz people suck at the game and do not wanna try to learn how to do it.

Archived