Addicted To Starting Over

MB83

This is just out of curiosity, but I was wondering how many of you share the "obsessively starting over" playstyle. How far into a new game do you usually play before beginning another new game? And why stop there? I did have one game that went on for longer, but I keep catching myself bringing a new save every few in-game days. I think I‘m at the 12th new save for A19 already, I always try new "takes": no trader game, reduced loot, slower drain rates, faster progression, etc ... (single-player). I just love the first days so much that I keep starting over 😅

I used to have that problem. Then A17 dropped and cured me of my addiction. The idea of the god-awful slow progression they keep pushing into the newer alphas kills my interest in starting over. I pretty much stopped playing now and I'm just waiting for some of the overhaul mods to update and see if they make A19 at all enjoyable. 

I generally quit after I make my blue armor and get the motorcycle. I have the most fun starting out, each game is a little different from the last and I always build my character different.

I also start over with each new release at this stage.

1 hour ago, Ornias said:

This alpha finally killed it for me. Since the static loot implementation every restart is almost exactly the same. Will wait and see where TFP go with this as I am sure they will make some adjustments.

I dunno, I sort of feel the same way, but I like to start over with different start points / POI's, currently looking for a map that will start me near a Town Hall.

My friend and I usually use the junkyard, I like the Favales Academy, although it is a pain to clear on day 1.  One of the apartment complexes is good once you get to the roof.  The one with the ladder all the way to the top. 

I've got a game going now, where I'm using one of the burnt out buildings.  I've converted the 2nd floor into a farm, and built up the 3rd floor/roof to about +30 above ground using I=Beams and got my industrial up there.

https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198010673407/home

3 hours ago, Ornias said:

This alpha finally killed it for me. Since the static loot implementation every restart is almost exactly the same. Will wait and see where TFP go with this as I am sure they will make some adjustments.

It didn't quite kill it for me, but I do hate starting in the same biome and all the random maps are so similar.  I can see how TFP  wanted to make a consistent starting and leveling experience, but I loved the randomness of the starting game.   I do really love all the new graphics though and that sees me through.

7 hours ago, Ornias said:

Same. After getting my 15th stone weapon/tool I just end up building a large home base to level up to a better game stage. I mean, I need a base anyway, so I guess it's not a total waste.

11 hours ago, MB83 said:

This is just out of curiosity, but I was wondering how many of you share the "obsessively starting over" playstyle. How far into a new game do you usually play before beginning another new game? And why stop there? I did have one game that went on for longer, but I keep catching myself bringing a new save every few in-game days. I think I‘m at the 12th new save for A19 already, I always try new "takes": no trader game, reduced loot, slower drain rates, faster progression, etc ... (single-player). I just love the first days so much that I keep starting over 😅

I was like this in a18, but in a19 with the linear poorly done loot system every single game is essentally the exact same, so I am kinda hesitant to start over.

7 hours ago, Ornias said:

Same for me, A18 was perfect, the loot just needing some small tweaks so it was a lot harder to get steel tools early, but otherwise it was perfect, then they come out with this garbage, that made the game stupidly linear and quite frankly boring as hell. I miss the RNG moments when I find a steel pickaxe or fireaxe on day 1 or 2 by pure rng luck. It used to make my day. They also severely nerfed drop rate for schematics as well as they were lumped inti the completly linear loot pool. I bet if you don't get a schematic by a certain GS you lose all ways to get it, it'd not surprize me.

Same as most above me, I used to love the Day 1 - Day 14 experience the most, and started over most of the times at a point most would consider mid-game. I've started over once in A19 and I can't say I'm looking forward to a 3rd playthrough. The shallow loot tables of the beginning really make each early game feel exactly the same. You're pretty much guaranteed the bicycle schematics, wood splitter mod schematics, blunderbusses 'til you have no slots in your toolbar left, etc... I miss the variety we had in A18 and prior, where sometimes you'd just find a crucible and it would be an "easy steel" playthrough, sometimes you'd luck out early on an auger and be a mining king, etc. 

I understand the issues they tried to fix, but starting over was amazing every time since you didn't know what to expect, whereas now you know exactly what to expect...

Starting over is no joy for me now .. at least I play mp so theres a chance for me to join a party and increase my gs early game, so yeah a little chance to skip that linear progression .. (quite silly mehanic how to abuse system i must say .. )

Archived