started a new game and ran into two direwolves on day one

ElCabong

The first one spawned right on my base. Before I could get away from it it got me down to eight hit points. In a blink of an eye. Don't know how I survived. It did infect me.

Fortunately I jumped up a ladder and had removed the bottom two links, it couldn't figure out how to get up the ladder. I pumped 15 arrows into it from my primitive bow. It started to move around and show me where it wanted me to put the next arrow...

The second time was about 10 ft from the traider and I managed to get to the door and close it behind me before it could kill me. it only did like twenty or thirty damage this time and I was at full health. I logged off with it beating up on the door.

Anybody got any ideas on how to get out of this predicament? I have a forge and I have like 21 gunpowder, if I can make a blunderbuss, I might have a chance. I bought a pair of Lucky goggles from the traitor so I am flat broke.

Animal spawns are not balanced at the moment. The FP are working at a better solution. Until the fix you have to endure it.

If it get to frustrating use the GM function spawn yourself a AK and ammo to defend yourself and don't use the carcases as a food source.

23 minutes ago, ElCabong said:

The first one spawned right on my base. Before I could get away from it it got me down to eight hit points. In a blink of an eye. Don't know how I survived. It did infect me.

Fortunately I jumped up a letter and had removed the bottom two links, it couldn't figure out how to get up the ladder. I pumped 15 arrows into it from my primitive bow. It started to move around and show me where it wanted me to put the next arrow...

The second time was about 10 ft from the traitor and I managed to get to the door and close it behind me before it could kill me. it only did like twenty or thirty damage this time and I was at full health. I logged off with it beating up on the door.

Anybody got any ideas on how to get out of this predicament? I have a forge and I have like 21 gunpowder, if I can make a blunderbuss, I might have a chance. I bought a pair of Lucky goggles from the traitor so I am flat broke.

High ground is your friend.  I found one of those small remnant buildings and got on top then use a spear or stone sledge to whack the wolf .  At 750 hp patience is key...😂

5 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

High ground is your friend.  I found one of those small remnant buildings and got on top then use a spear or stone sledge to whack the wolf .  At 750 hp patience is key...😂

That's a good idea. I will see if I can do something like that. But I'm going to have to open the door and get to the high spot before it kills me. I will make sure there's nothing on my belt that I want to keep

1 minute ago, ElCabong said:

That's a good idea. I will see if I can do something like that. But I'm going to have to open the door and get to the high spot before it kills me. I will make sure there's nothing on my belt that I want to keep

U can jump the wall as well

Yup, escape out the back if you can. I had a similar situation with trader Hugh in the winter biome.

As I was inside conducting business, I heard a bear growl & pounding on the walls. 

When I got on the platform & looked it was a zombie bear (I think, maybe a regular bear, could only hear him) and he brought 3 dogs with him. 

I said "nope" and hit the opposite end running!! 

11 minutes ago, sadpickle said:

Is there really no way to stop these from spawning? I cannot play the game like this. I have died 10 times in the last 2 hours to the wolves. They are everywhere. Also a bear spawned right next to me, I watched it happen.

This is from a post on the second page. You can use notepad to edit the file, change 7 to 14 and 10 to 21. Always make a copy of the file before you edit. This fixed the problem for me.

I don't believe it changed between 18.4 and A19 b157. I've got those handy. Left is A18.4, Right is A19 b163. And yeah, desert appears in the opposite order in the spawning.xml file in A19 for some reason.

Pine Forest

EnemyAnimalForest respawndelay="14" -> respawndelay="7"

FriendlyAnimalForest respawndelay="21" -> respawndelay="10"

Desert

FriendlyAnimalsDesert respawndelay="21" -> respawndelay="10"

EnemyAnimalsDesert respawndelay="10" -> respawndelay="7"

Wasteland

No Change

Burnt Forest

EnemyAnimalsBurntForest respawndelay="14" -> respawndelay="7"

FriendlyAnimalsBurntForest respawndelay="21" -> respawndelay="10"

Snow