Possible Bug - Phantom Blocks - I Believe It's a Long-Known Problem

Morkilimus

7 hours ago, Gamida said:

Never noticed that 19.5 was available until you posted that. How long was it out and was there a post saying it was?

Over 24 hours now, or roughly 19 hours before your post. There is the main announcement in the News and Announcements section. It was also broadcasted in the official Discord, Reddit, and Steam (both in your library, and the forum). It was probably announced in Facebook and Twitter as well, but I don't frequent those.

5 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

Over 24 hours now, or roughly 19 hours before your post. There is the main announcement in the News and Announcements section. It was also broadcasted in the official Discord, Reddit, and Steam (both in your library, and the forum). It was probably announced in Facebook and Twitter as well, but I don't frequent those.

I went in news after and did see it and it said it was about 17 hours ago. I don't know why I didn't notice it as when I join forum first thing I do is click the unread content tab at top. And I have often seen Hated's post there announcing a new release. I just don't recall seeing it this time which is why I was caught by surprise.

18 hours ago, SylenThunder said:

There's a billboard near my house announcing it, and last night the commercial aired three freaking times, always right after the Liberty Insurance cell phone/rice commercial. Geez, TFP, enough already!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2021 at 11:36 PM, SylenThunder said:

For those of you having issues with the distant POI meshes/ghost blocks, you might want to take a look at 19.5 experimental and see if any of the new optimizations and fixes there resolve your issue.

I personally haven't seen any ghost blocks for more than 2 weeks playing 19.5exp with CP47.

Seems like its fixed with 19.5 🤗

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 7/23/2023 at 9:25 AM, Rabbitslovecactus said:

It's back... A21 

Is there a fix? 

I have seen this too, even in A21 (though certainly not frequent). The only 'consistent' thing I have observed is that I have two systems (both using integrated graphics) and the one that has 8GB of RAM suffers from this issue more than the other one. Therefore I think it is a resource issue (lack of RAM or heavy swap file activity) and I suspect some textures cannot be loaded fast enough by the engine resulting in these 'default texture' blocks. A possible workaround is to move away from the area (or chunk) and reboot your system before returning.  7dtd likes RAM, so if you can add more (at least 16GB) that may also help. I have also had my laptop restart when the swap file grew too big to fit and it happened while playing 7dtd (which may indicate memory leaks which more RAM would compensate for). Good luck.

TLDR;

-reboot before playing

-reboot if anything starts to go 'funny'

-add RAM (at least 16GB)