Possible Bug - Phantom Blocks - I Believe It's a Long-Known Problem

Morkilimus

I found a solution that worked for me. In the steam settings there is shader precaching, and I had one of the boxes checked when I started. I tried the game with nothing checked and the phantom block issue is gone. You can still see them from about 150 meters, but once you get close they go away. Worth a shot for anyone having this issue

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/6/2020 at 10:54 AM, Majesticwalker said:

For those having it - is it a fully vanilla server? Is it happening in SP as well? I've had multiple people complain about it but the server it happens on has server-side mods/modlets.
From my understanding, it did not happen to at least one of them in SP, but they also did not play the game much in SP from what I gathered, at that point, so I'm curious.
Particularly curious about the trader being 24-7, instead of having their usual hours.

The marble thing is happening to my friend on my unlisted completely vanilla server. She hasn't tried playing in SP since it started and it only first started happening in 19. She recently did a file clean, so we'll see if that helps. If not *I'll* do a file clean and see if it helps. I know this is a relatively stale post, and I'll continue reading through the rest of the thread and see if there's been any new info since last month.

Hi i play on SP and have this problem, mi pc was a potato laptop and usually play on minimun ghapics but i found a couple of GPU configs tha affect this problem so much.

-i read somewere use the antisotrhopic Filtering on 0x or 2x (thats keep the texture problem under control the most of the time on my case)

-in game option i put the texture filtering and th antiallising on medium.

that was helpfully for me like 90% of the time.

Hello

Same problem here. I add 4 pictures. "Ghost block". I cant interact,i can stay "in", This is fix,after i relog,but just near me.. If i come 2-3 house,bug appear very frequenty. Unplayable game,i shut down my game until they are fix. I cant play with this visual bug,its too much.

(I tried more than 5 hours,how i fix,but all settings fail,bug everytime appear)

Its new world,I generate with Nitrogen A19 Vanilla.

Screenshot_2.png

Screenshot_3.png

Screenshot_4.png

Screenshot_5.png

• 2 weeks later...

I had this happen a couple of times in A18 but then it went away. A19 worked well for me until it went stable. Now I have this problem ALL of the time. During A19 I have had the same settings and hardware. Nothing has changed except this issue cropping up.

I have also had this happen a couple of times now, the most recent was at my base. Super weird, but a restart of the game fixed everything, just a pain in the butt when me and the hubby are about to raid a place and I roll up and he has easily walked through a door but everything is encased in marble for me. I host for he and I but only I ever have an issue. If I have it again I will post screenshots. It'd be nice to have the bug addressed at some point though  :)

I am on a very crappy laptop and play SP and I have this issue. I already have the settings to about as low as they can go. I also type in gfx af 0 and gfx pp enable 0 in the debug menu when I play to help with fps issues. This never happened until Alpha 19. I played in the experimental and thought it was just an experimental problem but when stable was released, I still had the issue. 

I am working on getting a new desktop that will hopefully give me a chance to play on high or ultra settings. I don't know if the issue will still persist though. It sucks as I haven't been able to play much of Alpha 19 due to this. It just ruins the game for me.

35 minutes ago, Lorri said:

I am on a very crappy laptop and play SP and I have this issue. I already have the settings to about as low as they can go. I also type in gfx af 0 and gfx pp enable 0 in the debug menu when I play to help with fps issues. This never happened until Alpha 19. I played in the experimental and thought it was just an experimental problem but when stable was released, I still had the issue. 

I am working on getting a new desktop that will hopefully give me a chance to play on high or ultra settings. I don't know if the issue will still persist though. It sucks as I haven't been able to play much of Alpha 19 due to this. It just ruins the game for me.

Hit f1. type "pois" without the quotation marks.

Your ghost blocks should be gone, although you will lose all distant poi views as well. 

I definitely have this issue. I personally call this "LOD artefacting"

I haven't done dedicated testing so far, but from my experiences through A18 to now, here's what I've noticed:

-This was less of an issue to me in A18. I could run Compopack + several mods and still see this rarely or not at all

-The issue has clearly increased for me since A19, though I don't know why

-Mods aggravate the problem. I can run full vanilla usually without this issue

-Compopack is definitely something I can't run right now without this issue getting extremely aggravating

-The "artefacting zone" seems to radiate from the player model loading point - I've hosted games where another also has the issue but in a different place

-In my experience, the "artefacting zone" is a circle around the player model loading point. The immediate area is fine to some distance, then there is a ring of LOD artefacting pois, thickness varies, and after that... it's gone again. If I save and load there, the ring moves with me.

Edit: testing the pois command, turning it back on also brings the artefacting back. Don't know the significance of this, but it is interesting.

Edited by Ihmislehma (see edit history)

35 minutes ago, Ihmislehma said:

I definitely have this issue. I personally call this "LOD artefacting"

I haven't done dedicated testing so far, but from my experiences through A18 to now, here's what I've noticed:

-This was less of an issue to me in A18. I could run Compopack + several mods and still see this rarely or not at all

-The issue has clearly increased for me since A19, though I don't know why

-Mods aggravate the problem. I can run full vanilla usually without this issue

-Compopack is definitely something I can't run right now without this issue getting extremely aggravating

-The "artefacting zone" seems to radiate from the player model loading point - I've hosted games where another also has the issue but in a different place

-In my experience, the "artefacting zone" is a circle around the player model loading point. The immediate area is fine to some distance, then there is a ring of LOD artefacting pois, thickness varies, and after that... it's gone again. If I save and load there, the ring moves with me.

Edit: testing the pois command, turning it back on also brings the artefacting back. Don't know the significance of this, but it is interesting.

Very detailed observations.  I agree with your assessment.  I was not aware of the player model loading point as a focal point.  I have a gut feeling part of the issue is POI density related (e.g. the more POIs packed in a given area).  I believe both the compopack and nitrogen both have a higher POI density configuration in relation to vanilla.

Edited by Laz Man (see edit history)

25 minutes ago, Laz Man said:

Very detailed observations.  I agree with your assessment.  I was not aware of the player model loading point as a focal point.  I have a gut feeling part of the issue is POI density related (e.g. the more POIs packed in a given area).  I believe both the compopack and nitrogen both have a higher POI density configuration in relation to vanilla.

Thanks.

Compopack alone doesn't increase density as such necessarily, aside from it's unique towns, I think. But the POIs it adds vary a lot, some have high density items/blocks, others could be unoptimized in that they're old and probably would do well if they were fully rebuilt from ground up. As for Nitrogen, it does indeed increase POI density depending on settings, I could see it aggravating the issue further. And voe be me if I run Nitrogen with Compopack...

I could run some tests later, see how different configurations affect the artefacting ring, and how wide it is, and if it is indeed truly a ring. I don't know if that would help much, but some data is better than no data.

It is also worth notating that compo pack and nitrogen go hand and hand nowadays as Magoli has stopped providing a configuration for vanilla RWG games for a while now.

In A18, I think folks would see this issue mostly with the larger POIs (e.g. shamway factory).

Something that would be helpful is if someone who experiences the issue can take a screen shot of their world map (fog filter turned off) and plot which POIs in the area have the issue and those that don't.

That will give us a visual representation that may help narrow down the root cause.

In my experience of A18, it was less about specific POIs than about the zone, aside from a few potential outliers. From what I can tell, as long as POIs fall within the ring of issues, they more often than not have the artefacting going on. But yeah, I could do some testing. And I can do different configurations too, with mods, full vanilla, compopack, Nitrogen, and so on.

Playing on a dedicated server with a customised nitrogen 12K map, one of my friends sees this issue yet I don't see it at all.

The server - IBM SystemX 3650 M3, Dual 3.46 Ghz hex core xeons, 80GB ram,  running off a 12Gb/s raid 6 array...
his system - AMD Ryzen 5 2600 , 16GB ram, AMD RX580 8GB video card
my system I7 9700k,  32GB ram, ASUS RTX 2070 Super 8GB video card.

Now on the other maps on the server we play on he does not have these issues at all, those maps are smaller.

I have seen the issue once in the past on a different map in A19 experimental (before A19 stable was launched) but only the once.

Edited by scallipus
updating friends system specs (see edit history)

1 hour ago, scallipus said:

Playing on a dedicated server with a customised nitrogen 12K map, one of my friends sees this issue yet I don't see it at all.

I also play on an own dedicated with a friend with a nitrogen 8K map. We both had those ghostblocks, but in different locations and in different times. For me everything looked fine where he saw ghostblocks. So this is definetely a client side problem.

We had this problem more often when the game was fresh, so in the first few days. We're now on day 80 and haven't it seen for a long time.

I never saw this in A19 experimental and also not in A18 but i didn't use nitrogen maps back then. I also watch some streamers, they also didn't have it in A19 experimental (with rwg map), but suddenly in A19 release on a nitrogen map. (Me and the streamers use nitrogen without compopack).

Edited by Liesel Weppen (see edit history)

5 hours ago, Liesel Weppen said:

I also play on an own dedicated with a friend with a nitrogen 8K map. We both had those ghostblocks, but in different locations and in different times. For me everything looked fine where he saw ghostblocks. So this is definetely a client side problem.

We had this problem more often when the game was fresh, so in the first few days. We're now on day 80 and haven't it seen for a long time.

I never saw this in A19 experimental and also not in A18 but i didn't use nitrogen maps back then. I also watch some streamers, they also didn't have it in A19 experimental (with rwg map), but suddenly in A19 release on a nitrogen map. (Me and the streamers use nitrogen without compopack).

I don't use compopack, in fact the 12K map only has the standard nitrogen POI's.  when he was seeing it, we both were in the same POI, he was seeing it, I wasn't that definitely has to be a client side issue.  He did take some screen shots... basically as we were on a mission he had to rely on my showing him where the doors were

mem: 16 gb

cpu : Intel® Core™ i5-6600 CPU @ 3.30GHz × 4

graphics: NVIDIA Corporation GP108 [GeForce GT 1030]

I have experienced this too, i think multiplayer but i know it happens in single player. I've noticed it occurs for me when I play a fresh new game (random gen for me, vanilla rand gen only, no nitrogen) and are optimistic and have graphic settings up too high and get really low stuttering FPS (<15-20 FPS avg).  I then adjust the graphics settings lower (like all the settings).  Suddenly, the issue occurs.  I have not toubleshot this much, i usually just start a new game with the existing lower graphics settings and it does not return.

Hello,

I have the same problem... 

Never had any visual bug in a17 a18 etc.

Now I see those blocks like you, when hosting a 3 players game.

I have a good computer with GTX1080. My girlfriend with a 1060 doesn't have this bug and neither does our friend.

I will try the "pois" tip this evening but this is really bothering.

K