Mobile Bases and Modular Vehicles

Sparks
Message added by Roland

This thread was split off from the A19 Development Diary.

Greetings

Yeah I know just being ever hopeful as the model is already made in game. Every time I wrench one for parts its like "Oh man I wish I could repair this with parts and drive it away as a mobile base." We got to have dreams eh? 🤪

Oh, I want a game with the POI/world detail of 7DTD and the vehicle / mobile base building of Empyrion.

I just don't see it happening short of a very expensive game and 5-6 years of development. =P

I think it was a smart move for Empyrion to specifically use large voxels (2x2x2 meters) for basebuilding, and smaller ones for SV.

This allows players with much less grind to build large bases and capital ships. (due to the lower resolution)

Also only turning terrain into a voxelized version at locations that where altered is a better solution, with the same net effect...

Whereas in 7DtD you need 8 times more voxels for the same volume to fill.

But it allows more detail and realism then on the other hand (as its representing real world buildings and not scifi structures)

@Gazz, just noodling here but might it be possible to have a truck with built-in stations? Maybe as mods, or maybe just through a full build. Not 'customizable' as where station is placed, since each vehicle seems to be a single 'block'.

Maybe something like a 5-ton flatbed with a Forge in the back. Collision model would let you walk around the flatbed bit, and an expanded radial menu would allow access to the forge. So all one entity?

As vehicles just take general damage; not specific like busted headlight or flat tires, something like this wouldn't be a real mobile 'base', not enough hit points, but with lots of storage & a forge it might be pretty useful for multi-day salvage runs and scouting/building new bases.

As that's likely way out of scope... I would like to vote for a full size pickup (or bigger) with multiple times the storage of the 4x4. Visually could be a couple three large construction site tool chests and maybe directly accessible when looking at them?

Sry if I'm crossing the line on what's allowed in this A19 diary :wink-new:

Reminds me that Empyrion is closer and closer to another big update, which makes it irritating to play 2 different games when they update...

7DTD having such great content waiting to be published... more or less 1-2 months, but still pants are already full from all the spoilers...

Oh wait... Terraria will close in 2-3 weeks with 1.4 Journey's End... And my pants and socks are full...

Hang on... -Checks his Steam game list-

53 minutes ago, Khulkhuum said:

Reminds me that Empyrion is closer and closer to another big update, which makes it irritating to play 2 different games when they update...

Yeah, man. It's rough but someone's gotta do it!

56 minutes ago, Khulkhuum said:

7DTD having such great content waiting to be published... more or less 1-2 months, but still pants are already full from all the spoilers...

Oh wait... Terraria will close in 2-3 weeks with 1.4 Journey's End... And my pants and socks are full...

Hang on... -Checks his Steam game list-

Traitor.. ☺

3 hours ago, Gazz said:

Oh, I want a game with the POI/world detail of 7DTD and the vehicle / mobile base building of Empyrion.

I just don't see it happening short of a very expensive game and 5-6 years of development. =P

I personally find the vehicle building of Empyrion to be discouraging for some players, especially casuals or people who can't spend that many hours playing the game, because you can't just build whatever pops in your mind. Most of the times, you have to know exactly how to build the vehicles, what blocks to place in which locations, etc, or otherwise you'll have to look up tutorials/use blueprints and just gather the materials.

There is some truth to that. It's quite tricky to build your first HV "right", be they vanilla or modded.

It can be a real balancing act.

Even on a server were "modded vehicles" were a thing, I ended up fixing or improving some of them.

I suspect that most of the feedback they get is from players who had been at it for years and that's not all you should be listening to. ;)

2 hours ago, Khulkhuum said:

Reminds me that Empyrion is closer and closer to another big update

Is their world going to be less lifeless and boring with this update?  

And will there be a point to having a defensive base other than a dumb drone attack every so often that u can fend off by the 2nd in game hour?

I was expecting Empyrion to be 7 Days to Die in Space, I was wrong.

1 hour ago, Xtrakicking said:

I personally find the vehicle building of Empyrion to be discouraging for some players, especially casuals or people who can't spend that many hours playing the game, because you can't just build whatever pops in your mind. Most of the times, you have to know exactly how to build the vehicles, what blocks to place in which locations, etc, or otherwise you'll have to look up tutorials/use blueprints and just gather the materials.

You can read online the details, but in short:

Main feature additions:

1. The Galaxy
  2. Active detection system
  3. Registry journeybook
  4. Interactive dialogues
  5. Dynamic key-token generation
  6. Space Base Defense
  7. Player-build teleporter system
  8. Full config files exposition

Besides those major topics, we added several new NPC Factions, a slew of technical and feature additions, new crafting materials like Titanium, updated POIs, Model and a lot more.

Considering building vehicles... I started with making my own the first few attempts, only counting to build from the schemas (putting resources there) on recent games i played. The difference is phenomenal, whether you spend a few hours making your first CV (like i did) and making it work or just put in resources into a chosen schema. But... i still create from time to time my own vehicle (SV or CV), only when i got the time and want to mess around.

Additionally, they recently changed how CPU is calculated and used for bases and vehicles.

EDIT: I can see that the new Experimental is available on Steam, so you could check it out any time. But, as with any EXP, it surely has lots of bugs and adjustments on the way ;)

Just my opinion by Empyrion really went sideways in A11. Their CPU system is just... fubar. They've also implemented a totally screwball mechanic where top speed is limited by mass. Not just in atmo, but in space... yes, they -actively- & intentionally stamped out a basic piece of Newtonian physics. No F=ma for them, no sir!

And the bit that really screwed vehicle building was the new flight mechanic where they implemented thrusters adding rotation, while also trying to mimic airfoil 'lift'.

In earlier alphas you could pretty freely slap together starters of all three types, HoverVessel, SmallVessel & CapitalVessel and they'd likely work, at least somewhat :)

Now, with new players playing 'defaults', which means CPU system is On, newbies are pretty well screwed.

So they wind up going to the Workshop and just throwing materials into the "Factory" to magically get a ship. When designing/building your own is so much of the games content what they effectively did was shoot themselves in the face.

Really sad/funny bit is that the devs are adamant that Empyrion -not- be a "hard" "physics based" game, like Space Engineers.

But their changes have made it so beginners attempting to build their own ships will have a far easier time of it in SE than EGS.

Sry. bit salty about EGS. Was an easy thumbs-up before, now I wouldn't recommend it.

Archived