5700 XT major graphical errors on Linux

Jorno

Example image of what happens:

unknown.png.e3650fcfdb097f2646321170a4c5b5ea.png

I did a livestream (easier than local recording and uploading to yt) testing all graphics settings in order to determine what causes the major glitches:

This is the "TLDR" at the end, where i change the setting that causes the error (Reflection Quality):

https://clips.twitch.tv/SpookyVictoriousMartenCurseLit

The log file is too large to be attached or posted on pastebin (and justpost.it freezes when trying to paste the contents), so i uploaded it to google drive:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10J6P0esTDEhpaE3UIsL4Ug3xvsyB7rxW/view?usp=sharing

Game Information:

Patch 18.4

Linux native version from Steam

System Specifications:

Ryzen R7 1700

16GB Ram 2444Mhz

MSI RX 5700 XT

OS Information:

Manjaro Linux

Kernel Version 5.6.5-3-MANJARO

MESA version 20.0.4-1

Steam System Information log:

https://pastebin.com/FCjBGMse

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Fox said:

Why is this topic in bug reports? This is a driver issue as the 5700XT is known for... and I imagine a lot worse for Linux users. Either way, not a game issue.

It is here most likely because the problem was tracked down to reflection settings in video settings of this particular game as described by at least two different posts in this thread if you've read them closely and also because it's probably not happening on different games. As for the driver issue, people are reporting this problem on both proprietary driver and mesa driver in Linux which in itself contradicts the claim it is a driver issue since it happens with two different drivers.

AFAIK AMD open source drivers have a lot of code common with the proprietary driver. So that is no indication where the bug is situated. But if you can list another game where reflections work on Linux it would shoot down Fox's assumption quite effectively. I can't help there, all the games I play are too indy to have or announce that they have reflection.

20 minutes ago, meganoth said:

AFAIK AMD open source drivers have a lot of code common with the proprietary driver. So that is no indication where the bug is situated. But if you can list another game where reflections work on Linux it would shoot down Fox's assumption quite effectively. I can't help there, all the games I play are too indy to have or announce that they have reflection.

I don't own that card and as far as I know, Fox doesn't own this card either. It's true that I didn't provide a list of games where this issue doesn't happen to back up my statement that this is most likely not a driver issue. It is however also true that Fox didn't provide a list of games where this issue does happen to back up his statement that this is a driver issue. We are therefore running in circles here. We can agree that the three of us won't be able to responsibly conclude whether this is a driver issue or issue of the game engine itself, but that is ultimately why the players should not be led one way or another as to where should they report their issue. They have an issue with this particular game, so they are making a report in the bug section here in the discussion forum related to this particular game. If they had a problem with a different game, I'm pretty sure they would also make a report in the discussion forum related to that other game as well. There's nothing wrong about it as that is exactly what is this bug report section for if I'm not mistaken.

I'm quite confident that it is a driver or firmware or AMD software related issue because; A: AMD has been struggling with the 5700 xt drivers for quite a while now (among most of their other GPU lineup as well, though not quite as much), B: there are countless reports with this card for many games, not just this one, C; what other graphics card has the issues described with reflections with this game? If this game has code issues relating with reflections, shouldn't more graphics card types have this issue too? (EDIT: of course, I say this and Beelzybub ruins it for me, lol... but it's still AMD and therefore my I'm still maintaining my opinion)

Therefore, in conclusion, yes, I agree, it's a bit of an assumption, but at least it's a calculated somewhat safe assumption based on what has been reported here over the years, the fact that reflections has been around in this game for a very long time and the fact that I've never once had any issues with reflections enabled with any version of this game and neither has any of my friends and family.

7 hours ago, Fox said:

Why is this topic in bug reports? This is a driver issue as the 5700XT is known for... and I imagine a lot worse for Linux users. Either way, not a game issue.

Basically this. I've seen similar issues in a few other games. It's completely an AMD driver issue with that series GPU, and not a game bug. This is just another notch in AMD's long history of shoddy hardware and software releases. There is a good reason they don't even account for half of the GPU's in the market.

Moving it to a more appropriate section of the forum.

6 hours ago, Beelzybub said:

I've tried an AMD Radeon 7750 in Mint 19.3 and have the same issue with reflections.

Pretty sure it's the AMD driver, but I haven't checked AMD's bug reporting to see if they

are aware of it. Maybe I'll do that.

Sorry, but you have a pretty old model there. Are you sure that your problem is not just the age of the card? If there's no rule about the age, we may as well take into account my old AMD Radeon HD 6570 which does not receive any new drivers since 2016, but guess what. This problem does NOT happen on that AMD card. Should we take a look at more recent model AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 which I also own in this PC I'm currently typing this message on, it uses the latest drivers that are available and guess what! This problem does NOT happen for me on this card either. So these are two cards that run this game just fine, within their performance range that is. But here's the thing. I don't use Linux. I'm running Windows on both. So there's the food for thought for you right there. If you say it's a driver issue, fine your opinion, but I just gave you two examples why it's NOT the driver issue. In the same time you have two examples that this happens on AMD cards under Linux, maybe there's the connection you should be more focused on instead of trying to see problem in the driver. Maybe it's the problem with the support in Linux and for all we know it could also be a problem with the Linux version of the game as well. When I had Linux, I remember having issues with this game myself on the old Radeon HD 6570, but those issues were little different, still graphical bugs, so I would suspect this is more problem with the Linux version of the game than a problem with the card or its drivers.

8 hours ago, mr.devolver said:

Sorry, but you have a pretty old model there. Are you sure that your problem is not just the age of the card?

Nothing to be sorry about my friend. The HD 7750 was made in 2012 (ish) and has 1 GB of Ram. I was not able to get a decent frame rate using Mint 19.3 with that card. The only drivers for Linux for that card are the built in mesa driver. On the lowest settings and very low resolution I got about 10 FPS. It was also very touchy about the vid settings.

Yesterday I took that same card and put it in a windows 10 machine and it was playable on medium settings getting about 40 FPS.

The difference I think is the drivers. AMD has current drivers for the Radeon HD 7750. Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.4.2.

My conclusion is that an ancient AMD card on Linux is not a good setup; on Windows, it's usable.

And to directly answer your question; No I'm not sure the problem is the age of the card, also not sure if it's the OS or the driver. But, with the amount of noise around how bad AMD drivers are, I'm going with driver.

Linux players as a workaround can use steam play instead native.  GPU with Vulkan support is required. Follow instructions to install support for Vulkan API (if you haven't already): https://github.com/NoXPhasma/protondb_faq/wiki/Graphics-driver-installation .

I tested sp with eac disabled. There is performance hit but no graphical issues with all settings maxed out.

• 3 weeks later...

i play on Linux with a 5700 xt, it did the samething with my 580.  Mine plays fine but i have to turn off some of the settings in the middle column of the video setttings.  I forget which its like 3 of them.

• 2 months later...

For information of any AMD GPU user. Looks that is a bug of UNITY on Linux with AMD cards. Not a problem of AMD GPU cards being better or worse.

On (970 GTX) Nvidia 440.100 drivers, you could sometimes get it to show that same black image but after switching (read. multiple times) settings you could get it working again.

And yes, this is Unity doing OpenGL wrongly, it draws the picture's in wrong order, this is what Mesa/X developers have explained in a bug report (can't remember what report it was) when somebody complained about a similar issue to them, from another game.

See this :

Archived