Doughs modlets

doughphunghus

3 hours ago, doughphunghus said:

@DefiantDucky I loaded the mods up and am unable to reproduce so far, though I'm in a simple player game.

My best guess is still that mods were changed and removed blocks or items during an in progress game, and then this caused those items that were in player inventories to show the zed hands (as that I can reproduce as a known thing). An idea to try is to have people keep playing and if you removed a mod recently and know what it was put that mod back and see if the items are fixed (or more items), but it might just cause more chaos to do this.  not sure what kind of a game you're running (family/friends or lots of unknown people)

Other than gathering more data, I can't see why this would be a "mailboxes mostly" problem, other than my You've Got Mail mod has a large list of items and are mostly in mailboxes, so if there was another mod removed maybe "You've got mail" was hit harder by the items changing around (as its item count is likely a majority of the games items in mailboxes).  I also notice you have the Dad's jokes mod, which also adds to mailboxes and is a lot of items, so maybe it appears mostly in mailboxes due to these 2 mods just adding a LOT of items and thus having a huge loot table when something got corrupted/shifted so its easier to see the effects in mailboxes. You mention that "things in containers" change after restarts and this is a similar symptom that points to an item or something changing and on reload the game cannot find that item. It might be also that people put items from You've got Mail and Dads jokes in these containers so its similar to the mailbox issue?

I've loaded a lot of mods before so the warning you get on startup/load are kinda normal (from my experience) given how some people make their mods (making some warnings not a problem).  So far I'm not seeing an issue.  Another test that would be good is to start a fresh new game and map and load these mods and then make no mod changes and let people play for awhile just to test and see if they can reproduce/See if the issue comes back. TFP has a "did you delete all saves" and other questions when submitting a bug report to make sure there's just not an anomaly somewhere and I think you may need to follow these steps too f it persists to make sure the game is loaded 'clean" so if the issues returns it's more things weeded out.

I've looked in the ConfigDump/loot.xml with all these mods loaded and it looks similar to before (when I tested the other mods). If you're completely unable to find the issue I'd suggest removing "Robeloto_CustomZombies_XML_VERSION" and seeing if that helps as its adding its loot groups to a LOT of loot groups in the game.  maybe its causing some part of it when mixed with the other mods?  it might be that multiple mods are not playing well together somehow.

ummm.. one other possibility: maybe your game is corrupted? Maps get corrupted sometimes, maybe something happened to the map/save game?  I don't have any info on how to check/fix other than manual chunk resets... but others may have better ideas than this.  Maybe there's a way to "clean up' the games loot list (if its corrupted) to resync the items loaded, and then just go in and have everyone drop/scrap the zed hands everywhere.  they may still be in any already searched container that populate a loot list though, so you'll keep finding them for awhile if you use this method.

Anyway,
I'll keep my game and your mods on my system for awhile as a save game, if you can find a good way to reproduce or more "symptoms"
 or containers people are finding them in or I think of something else I can load it up and try/look some more.

Hello again, I believe I have found one of the root causes.

A farming, fishing and animal domestication mod... I have contacted the owners to inform them of this development. I tested this out in single player and it is confirmed to be the culprit of a secondary problem of plant fiber clothing being unscrappable. After deleting this mod, resetting the map the loot tables have also have seemed to reset. We are fully back in control with no error logs or loot showing after 2 hours.

@doughphunghus Thank you so much for your time, as soon as you mentioned loot tables I recognized something, thank you and thank you for your great work

• 1 month later...

Hi @doughphunghus,

I find the idea with the display of the names (Hide HP Bar But Show Name) really great.

I downloaded it right away and tried it once.

The display works, but I found the alignment of the text (left) not so nice and then tested a little how I can make it nicer.

Here is my result (only windows.xml):

<remove xpath="/windows/window[@name='windowTargetBar']"/>
<append xpath="/windows">
	<window name="windowTargetBar" controller="TargetBar" visibility="always">
		<rect pos="-200,-85" width="400" height="36">
			<sprite depth="1" name="border" color="0,0,0,0" type="sliced" width="400" globalopacity="false" />
			<filledsprite depth="2" name="BarContent" type="filled" color="0,0,0,0" width="400" fill="{fill}" globalopacity="false" />
			<label depth="3" name="TextContent" pos="200,-4" font_size="15" color="255,200,200" justify="center" pivot="center" text="{name}" height="30" />
			<label depth="5" name="MinionCount" pos="482,-13" font_size="30" color="0,0,0,0" justify="left" pivot="topleft" text="x{minioncount}" height="30" effect="Outline8" effect_color="0,0,0,255" effect_distance="2,2" />
		</rect>
	</window>
</append>

It will look like this in the game (sorry i play german ;) )

show_zombiename.thumb.png.01a57ced4e187de23e438d849d5564e4.png

I have made other adjustments to the UI, but here it is only about the display of the name, and that works.

Then one more hint. The xui.xml does not need to be adjusted at all. The windowTargetBar is already included in the compass group.

Greetings :)

Edited by dwarfmaster1974
wrong emoticons :) (see edit history)

2 hours ago, dwarfmaster1974 said:

Hi @doughphunghus,

I find the idea with the display of the names (Hide HP Bar But Show Name) really great.

I downloaded it right away and tried it once.

The display works, but I found the alignment of the text (left) not so nice and then tested a little how I can make it nicer.

Here is my result (only windows.xml):

<remove xpath="/windows/window[@name='windowTargetBar']"/>
<append xpath="/windows">
	<window name="windowTargetBar" controller="TargetBar" visibility="always">
		<rect pos="-200,-85" width="400" height="36">
			<sprite depth="1" name="border" color="0,0,0,0" type="sliced" width="400" globalopacity="false" />
			<filledsprite depth="2" name="BarContent" type="filled" color="0,0,0,0" width="400" fill="{fill}" globalopacity="false" />
			<label depth="3" name="TextContent" pos="200,-4" font_size="15" color="255,200,200" justify="center" pivot="center" text="{name}" height="30" />
			<label depth="5" name="MinionCount" pos="482,-13" font_size="30" color="0,0,0,0" justify="left" pivot="topleft" text="x{minioncount}" height="30" effect="Outline8" effect_color="0,0,0,255" effect_distance="2,2" />
		</rect>
	</window>
</append>

It will look like this in the game (sorry i play german ;) )

show_zombiename.thumb.png.01a57ced4e187de23e438d849d5564e4.png

I have made other adjustments to the UI, but here it is only about the display of the name, and that works.

Then one more hint. The xui.xml does not need to be adjusted at all. The windowTargetBar is already included in the compass group.

Greetings :)

@dwarfmaster1974 - thanks for the input and the xml! I’ll check it out when I can (likely tonight) and merge your changes in if it tests well (it should, unless there’s something there that conflicts with something. I try to have most of my mods all able to load up together with no errors/warnings).

you are doing some “removal”

of elements so I might see if I can just do overwrite/append as that’s more likely to play well if this mod is loaded with other mods (it seems), and is a bit easier to manage sometimes when the game updates and if the XML for this element changes but having the full XML is very helpful.

im also not sure if I purposefully chose left for any reason or just did out of habit for formatting possible

long text, but your screenshot shows a long name fits well

Edited by doughphunghus (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

Hey @doughphunghus!

I have a simple question about Buff Ambiance – Darker Nights (and sorry if it has been asked before)

What's the difference between your modlet and just turning the game's Brightness to the minimum? I know the in-game setting doesnt affect light sources, it's kinda like a Gamma slider.

Thanks!

15 hours ago, Kyonshi said:

Hey @doughphunghus!

I have a simple question about Buff Ambiance – Darker Nights (and sorry if it has been asked before)

What's the difference between your modlet and just turning the game's Brightness to the minimum? I know the in-game setting doesnt affect light sources, it's kinda like a Gamma slider.

Thanks!

My best interpretation is:

- turning brightness down just dims “everything” in the game. All light sources like torches/lights as well as the sun and the moon. 
- the “darker nights” tweaks some settings (and I will admit to not knowing exactly what they all are or mean, as I just tinkered with the settings)  related to the ambient moonlight.  In addition, there are some settings that relate to the “light emitted from the horizon” or maybe “moving the horizon angle?” to block more light from coming out at night. So I guess ultimately it’s blocking or stopping more light from the moon (and sun, at the horizon in the late evening and early morning) from being emitted at all. So lights/torches/etc should still be very “bright” at day and night as would be the sun during the daytime. 

@doughphunghus

There are three mods that randomize zombies.  Bragado's Zombie Fiesta is currently bugged to spawn ferals and radiated on day 1, which is not fitting our ironman playstyle.  You're is out of date and requires Perl installation, if I understand correctly.  Trub64's isn't hosted anywhere where it can be verified as safe.

I'm sure you agree that more zombie randomization rules, or you wouldn't have made the mod.  Do you have any thoughts on if I'm wrong about any of the above, or how to solve the current state of affairs?

Cheers, and thanks for the mods.

BAC

23 hours ago, BasicallyACat said:

You're is out of date and requires Perl installation, if I understand correctly. 

Yeah, I haven’t tested mine again since a19, but it may work without much tweaking. The code is … a mess… as I wanted just to see what I could do quickly and how it “looked” in game when they could have many attributes randomized, as well to see if I could actually load thousands of unique zeds and it would work.basically to feel out if it was worth making a better script. I knew Perl was a bad choice but it’s a language I can just code spaghetti in a hurry without thinking.l and it will work.

Anyway, I wasn’t sure if anyone was actually going to go the long route and install Perl, and I was hoping to bundle it with docker or something to make it easier… but that’s more work too. Rewriting in python is still possible as most of the basic gotchas are worked out.

I was working on trying to randomize (and make it look good) zed clothing or something… but the idea that the UMA zeds may go away after a20 killed the idea for me. 

Anyway: I’m kinda taking a break from modding as some family things have come up. I have a lot of “todos” and I may revisit this “randomizer script experiment”.  The code just reads and randomizes against the vanilla XML, so maybe in a bit I can generate some mods for a20 and do some testing to see if they will “just work” and then no one will have to load Perl and can just load the pre generated  set of them. I did want to tweak the lower random speed configs for the animals as some move very slow (too slow) and it looks bad in game.

On 7/15/2022 at 12:01 AM, BasicallyACat said:

@doughphunghus

There are three mods that randomize zombies.  Bragado's Zombie Fiesta is currently bugged to spawn ferals and radiated on day 1, which is not fitting our ironman playstyle.  You're is out of date and requires Perl installation, if I understand correctly.  Trub64's isn't hosted anywhere where it can be verified as safe.

I'm sure you agree that more zombie randomization rules, or you wouldn't have made the mod.  Do you have any thoughts on if I'm wrong about any of the above, or how to solve the current state of affairs?

Cheers, and thanks for the mods.

BAC

I forgot I found this.  I have not tested it but its based on python and is similar to my original code (as a concept).  maybe this can work for you in the interim (which might be awhile for me to make updates):

https://github.com/trub64/trubs-variants

@BasicallyACat: I generated a new set of pre-gnerated modlets with my script for a20.b5, and *very very lightly* tested it. it loads without errors, and the zeds appear random and with the health bar modlet they have proper names.  but I didn't do a full test by seing if each type can generate.  I ran into a bobs boars and a lot of boars moved... slowly... but hard to say if that's just bad luck randomness or not.

https://github.com/doughphunghus/7D2D-EntityRandomizer/tree/master/Pre-Generated-Modlets

7 hours ago, doughphunghus said:

@BasicallyACat: I generated a new set of pre-gnerated modlets with my script for a20.b5, and *very very lightly* tested it. it loads without errors, and the zeds appear random and with the health bar modlet they have proper names.  but I didn't do a full test by seing if each type can generate.  I ran into a bobs boars and a lot of boars moved... slowly... but hard to say if that's just bad luck randomness or not.

https://github.com/doughphunghus/7D2D-EntityRandomizer/tree/master/Pre-Generated-Modlets

Thanks for this.  We are going to try it and we will get back to you with what we see.

I understand about life getting in the way.  Kind of you to take a minute to generate something for A20.

On 7/17/2022 at 2:13 PM, doughphunghus said:

So we had some sort of problem related to players not being able to 'see' each other in the screen where you party up.  I didn't think to take the screenshot, but we could maybe try to reproduce the problem if you have no idea what might be causing that.

The problem happens with your modlets in, but when we remove them and return to our original set of modlets, we're fine.

4 hours ago, BasicallyACat said:

So we had some sort of problem related to players not being able to 'see' each other in the screen where you party up.  I didn't think to take the screenshot, but we could maybe try to reproduce the problem if you have no idea what might be causing that.

The problem happens with your modlets in, but when we remove them and return to our original set of modlets, we're fine.

That’s a new one. The original goal of this mod was to see if a huge number of zeds food be generated nicely, and if the game would allow it (like not use up a lot of memory, freak out, only choose the first 300, etc).  I wonder if there is a limit and it causes weird issues like this.

ill see if I can reproduce and if so if there’s a limit. I noticed the generator made a few more zeds than in a19 and it went over 5k zeds (don’t know why, assumes there was an extra zed definition in there) so maybe that’s part of it.  I don’t think anyone needs 5k unique zeds (even if I had Uma clothes on them) but that number was more for the “unique name generator” when you put a health bar mod on and can see their names. But still maybe 2-3k might be enough/overkill, so hopefully it’s as simple as dropping the zed count

@BasicallyACat: I've moved the 5000+ random zed pre generated modlet to the project Archive on github and generated 2 smaller zed modlets:

Doughs-RandEnts_For_a20.5.b2_vanilla-zeds-only-3440-clones

Doughs-RandEnts_For_a20.5.b2_vanilla-zeds-only-4300-clones

Found here: https://github.com/doughphunghus/7D2D-EntityRandomizer/tree/master/Pre-Generated-Modlets

This is just so they are "available" for testing if you wish for the issue.  Note: if you load into an existing game (with the other random zed mod I made that you had issues with), it might get weird/not load right. I don't want to break an existing game (or claim this is safe), but you can probably remove the old one, and then load this one, and you might get some red errors as the "old" zeds try to spawn in, if you ran around the map a lot.

@BasicallyACat: I've moved the 5000+ random zed pre generated modlet to the project Archive on github and generated 2 smaller zed modlets:

Found here: https://github.com/doughphunghus/7D2D-EntityRandomizer/tree/master/Pre-Generated-Modlets

This is just so they are "available" for testing if you wish for the issue.  Note: if you load into an existing game (with the other random zed mod I made that you had issues with), it might get weird/not load right. I don't want to break an existing game (or claim this is safe), but you can probably remove the old one, and then load this one, and you might get some red errors as the "old" zeds try to spawn in, if you ran around the map a lot.

We pulled the ones you made from 5ish days ago right away.

We will try the smaller one 3440 tonight and see if we have any issues, first with a test game.  We might cry if it breaks our main game because we are crazy enough to play in TEAM IRONMAN mode and nobody has died for a while.... but we won't blame you.

As far as user experience goes, frankly we'd be happy with like 5 of each zombie.... just anything to break up the monotony of seeing the same dingus over and over.

EDIT: how much harder do you think it makes the average zombie?  I couldn't remember if yours was predominantly cosmetic or not, but I see in your notes on github that it makes them harder.

We have one other zombie mod in there, two modlets from Improved Hordes by "filunderscore".  I put a 'z' in front of your 3 modlet folders (2 animals, 1 zombies).

Edited by BasicallyACat (see edit history)

Ok so....

Strangely we didn't have the problem with a very quick test in a test game.  But then when we tried to load it into our normal 3-player game, we had errors when the other players started to load in, and we couldn't party up.

For now we are going to pull it but we could test it again.

On our side we have a few things going on: Mac and PC, everyone's playing in a new instance and not directly through Steam.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, handsinthegarden said:

I was just wondering if the food (and food icon) mods still work as of the new update, and if so, would they cause permanent changes to the game files (as some mods do) ? :)

Ty for making these!

I’m not sure actually, if they work perfectly in the latest version. They should work in a20 but several updates have been done aince I tested them, and I tested only lightly (mod loads without errors, items exist in creative menu and look ok, are a few, they spawn in loot and can be crafted, etc).

The dilemma with adding a mod that adds new blocks or items (and this one, that adds a mini perk tree) is that once it’s in there, it can be difficult to remove without issues as those items may exist on opened loot, storage containers, or your backpack/toolbelt. Someone asked me about mod removal for a different mod awhile back and I suggest that it might work to not remove the entire mod but instead to remove/rename certain files (recipes.xml, and the loot.xml (I think that’s the name… maybe also traders.xml… I’d have to look) and then that will stop you from finding any new items in loot or being able to craft them, but existing items you can still use or drop.

So: 

- I’m not 100% sure. No one has told me it doesn’t work with newer versions since I released it for a20.

- I’m not 100% sure, as I normally don’t remove mods after adding them. These are xml only mods (no C#, no special resources except icons) but still I’m not sure what types of changes can break a game vs causing a lot of errors.

The food icon mod just recolors the default icons used and actually replaces it with other ones, so I imagine adding and removing it would cause less issues as it’s not new items or blocks, just prettier pictures.

the base “sous chef” one has that extra perk tree, which I could imagine if anyone put any points into any of it, it might cause weird issues if totally removed, But I honestly don’t know. It’s probably one you’d be safer not trying to remove.

I have been playing Undead Legacy with some of my mods and I created a new one (the fog one below). I figured I'd get these out on the board..I'll likely update any mods with suggestions/fixes listed above in this thread (and on my github issues list) when the next stable game version comes out (I'm a little tired of modding for awhile).

New:

Modlet: Doughs-Buff-Ambiance-WholeLottaFog - Adds a persistent thick fog to the existing level of fog in the world. Slightly foggier during the day.

clapInspired by Donovans "NightFog" mod

Modlet: Doughs-Remove-ToolTips-Environmental - A request from the forum to be able to remove tooltips related to environmental conditions. Currently the mod only removes the "you are wet" tooltip, but several others are in the mod you can uncomment them out to use them.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/30/2022 at 9:39 PM, LastTugBoat243 said:

Dang that sucks I wanted to add the old pig model

The old pig model (in the mods i am

maintaining) doesn't work super well (if it works at all at this time)  i think because the games models/controllers? have been updated and the pig does not have the new stuff/changes, Like the pig hitbox is all weird,  as an example.

Im not sure anymore but there were several "farming" mods that had pigs in them (new models) so maybe they could be used instead?

• 1 month later...

I liked the concept of the You've Got Mail modlet. Only thing that would have kept it in my mods is if all the items in it had a scrapping option. Or at least have a generic sale price of 1 duke. Else they just end up being trash and an annoyance to sort through.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Daevinski said:

Hi! Do you have any plans to update the Punishing Weather A19 add-ons?

I do, once a21 comes out. Ive been having quite a bit of real life issues to deal with so ive been slacking on my mods :)

i think they may work with a20, at least in single player, as i have loaded them in a a20 game i played.  but a few of them (i think the one that changes the temperature as you move up and down (climbing and digging) does not work anymore.

here are the ones i have lightly tested and used in a20: https://github.com/doughphunghus/7D2D-Doughs-Mods-a20

i believe there may be an issue with them in multiplayer but that was a game bug the devs fixed in a21 (weather was different for different players on the same map).

1 hour ago, doughphunghus said:

I do, once a21 comes out. Ive been having quite a bit of real life issues to deal with so ive been slacking on my mods :)

i think they may work with a20, at least in single player, as i have loaded them in a a20 game i played.  but a few of them (i think the one that changes the temperature as you move up and down (climbing and digging) does not work anymore.

here are the ones i have lightly tested and used in a20: https://github.com/doughphunghus/7D2D-Doughs-Mods-a20

i believe there may be an issue with them in multiplayer but that was a game bug the devs fixed in a21 (weather was different for different players on the same map).

Oh, okay... I totally understand. I'm already using some of your mods with UL and everything is really good.

Punishing Weather is my favorite, so I hope at some point you have the time and interest to update the add-ons and maybe improve it further.

Thanks anyway.

• 1 month later...

Small "news" update for my mods and a21:

I may not have a lot of time, but i will try to see which of my mods I can update for a21 during "experimental" or whatever releases soonest, vs waiting for "stable". There appear to be new "changes for mods" that i want to add (see a21 release notes) as well as try to get all the known bugfixes and such done that have built up. I will post updated mod lists here, so anyone subscribing to this feed can het updates (as i usually do) as well as update my main mod page (as i usually do).

anyway: likely the "simple mods with just a few lines/files" will be updated first, and anything involving "mods with lots of items" or "lots of files" or "lots of loot groups" etc.  will be done at a later time as i would like to actually play the vanilla game for a bit to see how things are balanced before attempting to convert older mods balanced for a20 as I usually balance for "more difficulty/rarity".  i have read a21 is different enough, progression wise, that i feel this is the best course of action.

Also: I'm planning on "retiring" more of my mods, but only in the cases where another "better or more polished" mod exists that is also being maintained. I have already listed "alternate mods to try" on my mods page (page 1 of this thread).

MISC:

Also: ive been mulling over more mod ideas (who doesn't?) possibly trying to put together a mod list or mod pack thats not quite an overhaul, but also plays in the "more difficult" realm. Ive been playing a lot of mods together and it will basically be "what i like to play" with any tweaks to others mods as a separate patch. Maybe. Part of the dilemma of this is when others make updates to their mods, it might cause issues, but the new "versioning" attributes TFP has recommended may help with this a lot.

Also: i may drop the "community sound packs" idea (sorry). I tried to come up with a good set of rules and ways to put it together but i had a lot of trouble and my free time is not as much as it was. Its not a totally dead idea yet, but it might just not be a good idea at this time for me to try to handle, and the game is nearing gold (supposedly) and TFP have been adding new sounds (like to doors in a20, i think) so i feel the "necessity" for new sounds will be more for zeds/npc packs vs "cabinet's and doors etc" though i may have a small idea for some new/added environmental sounds that might be fun/creepy.