Doughs modlets

doughphunghus

14 hours ago, doughphunghus said:

Update: Added a few more mods converted for a21 (always lightly tested). Some mods renamed to a new "standard" I'm trying.

Blocks: Lower Stability
Blocks: Lower Stacking Amounts
Items: Lower Stacking Amounts

Lights: Harder To Craft

Food: Sous Chef Of The Apocalypse <- "Client Icons" mod for this not ready yet. See readme for several new updates to this mod.

@Hayran: The "Nerf Item Stacks" mod has been split into 2 mods (1 for items, the other for blocks) and are now the "Lower Stacking Amounts" mods above

Amazing! This got even better. This gives more option for choice. But I will use the two haha ;) Thanks so much.

Loving the darker nights mod although it might be a bit too on the intense side for me... What's the best way to roll it back just a little? 🙂

At the moment the game is pitch black and I'd love to make the moon light a little more intense and impactful on the environment for mood. Not sure which settings in the config to tweak though?

Edited by caatalyst (see edit history)

On 8/1/2023 at 7:17 AM, caatalyst said:

Loving the darker nights mod although it might be a bit too on the intense side for me... What's the best way to roll it back just a little? 🙂

At the moment the game is pitch black and I'd love to make the moon light a little more intense and impactful on the environment for mood. Not sure which settings in the config to tweak though?

Ill look into it tonight. There are several settings, and i set all of them to "max darkness" however there are some things that cannot be tuned so there is quite a bit of variation in darkness depending on the "day" the moon is out. I believe in my testing its dark on day 1, but gets darker and darker each night until night 5 (or "every 10th day after that"?) and that is the "darkest night" due to the moon phases, but maybe it "resets" every 7 th day so the next darkest day is 5 days after the 7th day (not too sure).

The mod has only 1 xml file in it, and i may have semi documented what i think the settings do if they were vague so it might be somewhat easy to change a setting, test it, change another and teat. But just remember the night/moon phase will affect it. 

@caatalyst

Currently the mod contains a single XML file: worldglobal.xml

In this, there are only 2 variables being changed from vanilla, and I bet "ambientMoon" is the one you want to modify to make the outside a little brighter:

<set xpath="/worldglobal/environment/property[@name='ambientMoon']/@value">0, 0</set>

What I don't know is "how bright you want it"...

The vanilla "ambientMoon" settings are this:

<property name="ambientMoon" value=".9, .3"/><!-- add, scale -->

So its likely the first number in my mod you will want to change.  Mine sets the 0.9 to 0.  I believe that 1 is "as bright as it can be" and 0 is "not bright at all" (0 brightness?) so we have a scale of 0 -> 1 to work with, and decimals are allowed. I don't know if the game would accept 0.85 (it probably will, as otehr vars use 2 or 3 or more decimal places, but I don't know the literal data type of this specific variable to say definitely). There is another setting I changed to make the "sky scale" be less bright, but the "ambientMoon" has got to be the one literally lighting up the night....

So: what to change it to?  I would guess to try changing it to .3 first and see if that works, so the worldglobal.xml in my mod would like this:

<set xpath="/worldglobal/environment/property[@name='ambientMoon']/@value">.3, 0</set>

Then start up a test game and see if it "works". Then as days progress in the game, make note of if its still too bright or not, and adjust up/down by .1 until you like it.

NOTE: you can change the day/time from the command console in the game (so you can immediately see nighttime, and on different days) by:

- starting a game.

- when the player enters the game, hit the "F1" key to being up the command console

- Enter "debug mode" by typing in the console: dm

- hit the "enter" key.  It should say something like "debug on" or debug mode on"

- use the "settime" command to choose the day and time of day (all at once).  Type in the command console: settime 2 18 3 5 (and hit enter) to have the day jump to 2, the hour jump to 18, and the hour to 3, the minute to 5.  You can jump back and forth in game time using this command.

- When you are done, either close the test game down, or (to exit debug mode), type again in the command console: dm

and it will say something like "debug off"

- hit F1 again to close the command console (or the close button on the right of it).

NOTE: It seems (to me) the darkest time to test night will ever get to is day 5 at 2 AM

13 hours ago, doughphunghus said:

@caatalyst

Currently the mod contains a single XML file: worldglobal.xml

In this, there are only 2 variables being changed from vanilla, and I bet "ambientMoon" is the one you want to modify to make the outside a little brighter:

<set xpath="/worldglobal/environment/property[@name='ambientMoon']/@value">0, 0</set>

What I don't know is "how bright you want it"...

The vanilla "ambientMoon" settings are this:

<property name="ambientMoon" value=".9, .3"/><!-- add, scale -->

So its likely the first number in my mod you will want to change.  Mine sets the 0.9 to 0.  I believe that 1 is "as bright as it can be" and 0 is "not bright at all" (0 brightness?) so we have a scale of 0 -> 1 to work with, and decimals are allowed. I don't know if the game would accept 0.85 (it probably will, as otehr vars use 2 or 3 or more decimal places, but I don't know the literal data type of this specific variable to say definitely). There is another setting I changed to make the "sky scale" be less bright, but the "ambientMoon" has got to be the one literally lighting up the night....

So: what to change it to?  I would guess to try changing it to .3 first and see if that works, so the worldglobal.xml in my mod would like this:

<set xpath="/worldglobal/environment/property[@name='ambientMoon']/@value">.3, 0</set>

Then start up a test game and see if it "works". Then as days progress in the game, make note of if its still too bright or not, and adjust up/down by .1 until you like it.

NOTE: you can change the day/time from the command console in the game (so you can immediately see nighttime, and on different days) by:

- starting a game.

- when the player enters the game, hit the "F1" key to being up the command console

- Enter "debug mode" by typing in the console: dm

- hit the "enter" key.  It should say something like "debug on" or debug mode on"

- use the "settime" command to choose the day and time of day (all at once).  Type in the command console: settime 2 18 3 5 (and hit enter) to have the day jump to 2, the hour jump to 18, and the hour to 3, the minute to 5.  You can jump back and forth in game time using this command.

- When you are done, either close the test game down, or (to exit debug mode), type again in the command console: dm

and it will say something like "debug off"

- hit F1 again to close the command console (or the close button on the right of it).

NOTE: It seems (to me) the darkest time to test night will ever get to is day 5 at 2 AM

Amazing thank you so much!

Edited by caatalyst (see edit history)

Im trying to change the spawn for the rabbits of caerbannog to be high but I cant seem to make them spawn even though I have their prob at 100. I have changed the spawn rate for animals but it didnt seem to work as well. Is there a way to have it spawn more frequently? 

<Doughs>

<!--
########## Mod vanilla groups ##########
-->

<!-- DOUGH: High spawn rates -->
<append xpath="/entitygroups/entitygroup[@name='EnemyAnimalsWasteland']">
<entity name="doughsAnimalRabbbitOfCaerbannog" prob="100"/>
</append>
<append xpath="/entitygroups/entitygroup[@name='ZombiesWasteland']">
</append>
<append xpath="/entitygroups/entitygroup[@name='ZombiesWastelandNight']">
</append>
<append xpath="/entitygroups/entitygroup[@name='ZombiesWastelandNight2']">
</append>
<append xpath="/entitygroups/entitygroup[@name='ZombieBadassGroup']">
</append>
<append xpath="/entitygroups/entitygroup[@name='ZombieAnimalsGroup']">
</append>

10 hours ago, blade muncher said:

Im trying to change the spawn for the rabbits of caerbannog to be high but I cant seem to make them spawn even though I have their prob at 100. I have changed the spawn rate for animals but it didnt seem to work as well. Is there a way to have it spawn more frequently? 

<Doughs>

<!--
-->

</append>
</append>
</append>
</append>
</append>
</append>

If you're playing it in a21, the mod doesn't work in a21 yet :(. It's still an "unpublished work in progress" to be compatible for a21.

I worked on it a little (for a21) and something is wrong with it that I have not identified yet (and I have not released a version compatible (or claiming to be) with a21 as it requires several XML tweaks to a20 to get up to date with a21s XML tags . IF you load the a20 version into a21, it doesn't throw any console errors (which is kinda weird), but it does not/cannot spawn spawn.  The XML tag to get it to spawn ( in a21) doesn't even exist in the a20 version, so you can't even try to manually spawn it via debug mode (the Caerbannog entity isn't in the list of spawnable entities)

Edited by doughphunghus (see edit history)

Im playing A20 modded with my friends. A horde of zombies isn't a threat to my friends anymore so I wanted the caerbannog to be the real threat (a horde of them). I want to make the caerbannog spawnable in certain biomes or spawn a horde of them naturally, id really like it if a horde of 25 can spawn somewhere near a player. After changing the spawn rate for animals in the snow from 3 -> 9 I got two caerbannog to spawn (too little I need moAr!!).  I had the prob to 300 but the chance of them spawning is too small.  I also tried changing the player detection radius to 100 but now the rabbits seem to not detect the player. 

<!-- DOUGH: Changed
Attack almost everything
Remove EntityZombie as they will attack the horde they spawn in
Make player wider range of attack, like animalDireWolf
Note: MAke detection ~12 blocks as this you can run away from. If 15 its really hard to run away
-->
<property name="AITarget-3" value="SetNearestEntityAsTarget" data="class=EntityPlayer,12,100,EntityNPC,15,10,EntityEnemyAnimal,10,3"/>
<!-- DOUGH: Eat your corpse like a zombie..except this is the last target-->
<property name="AITarget-4" value="SetNearestCorpseAsTarget" data="class=EntityPlayer"/>

<!-- Gameplay -->
<!-- DOUGH: Run like a mountain lion. Can barely run away from it -->
<property name="MoveSpeed" value="9"/> <!-- DOUGH: Added -->
<property name="MoveSpeedAggro" value="5, 9"/> <!-- DOUGH: Added -->
<property name="CanClimbLadders" value="true"/> <!-- DOUGH: Addded. haha -->

20 hours ago, blade muncher said:

<Doughs>

<!--
-->

</append>
</append>
</append>
</append>
</append>
</append>

I'm looking at this now (loaded up a20 to get the correct vanilla files) and I believe a small part of the issue is that prob="100" works differently than it looks.

Basically, this is a20's "EnemyAnimalsWasteland" entity group:

<entitygroup name="ZombiesWasteland">
		<entity name="zombieMutated" prob="2"/>
		<entity name="zombieSpider" prob="2"/>
		<entity name="zombieBoe"/>
		<entity name="zombieJoe"/>
		<entity name="zombieSteve"/>
		<entity name="zombieTomClark"/>
		<entity name="zombieMoe"/>
		<entity name="zombieYo"/>
		<entity name="zombieBusinessMan"/>
		<entity name="zombieArlene"/>
		<entity name="zombieDarlene"/>
		<entity name="zombieMarlene"/>
		<entity name="zombieNurse"/>
		<entity name="zombieSteveCrawler"/>
		<entity name="zombieFemaleFat" prob="2"/>
		<entity name="zombieFatCop" prob="2"/>
		<entity name="zombieBurnt" prob="2"/>
		<entity name="zombieMaleHazmat" prob="2"/>
		<entity name="zombieFatHawaiian" prob="2"/>
		<entity name="zombieSoldier" prob="2"/>
	</entitygroup>

With your modifications set to all prob="100".. try visiting the wasteland for 10 minutes and see if you get some spawning...

The "prob" numbers are not really a true "probability' but more of a "weighting that leads to a probability". Note: anything with no "prob" in the line, is defaulting to prob="1"

As I believe it (someone correct me if I'm wrong!) the "final probability" of the spawning of something in the group is determined by doing this:

1. Add up all the numbers in the "prob" parts. Here we add up to ... ummm.. 28.

2. Take any entity (say "zombieNurse") and their "prob" (which is 1) then divide by 28 => 1/28 => 0.0357 (probably only uses to 4 or 5 decimals I'm guessing?)

3. Take that resulting number (0.0357) and multiple by 100 to get % => 0.0357 * 100 = 3.57%

So, in theory, adding the caerbannong to the group with prob 100 makes it 100/128 = 0.781 => 78.1%, so it should be... spawning a LOT.. but not 100%

But this is also probably the other 1/2 of the issue:

I think the 'calling of those groups i have added the caerbannog rabbit to by the game" to spawn zeds does not get called a lot UNLESS you are in the wasteland ( for example). I set all the probs to 100 in my mod, and started a vanilla game. ran around in the forest = no caerbannogs.  then I went to the wasteland, and they were spawning like crazy ( usually 3 on screen at a time) I think because the wasteland spawns from "EnemyAnimalsWasteland" (because the wasteland is full of dogs) a LOT more than the forest calls "ZombieAnimalsGroup" .  So people have to either "be in the right location/biome", or you would have to add caerbnannogs ( with prob = 100 or something) to other entity groups that its not in currently (to groups that get called more often in non-wasteland biomes).

In the mod, I made the spawning groups and rates "extremely low" as the rabbit is so hard to kill, and chases you, I wanted it to be like a "super rare random boss encounter", and originally I wanted it to only spawn in caves (when we had caves) so the act of "going into a cave" would keep it limited to those areas (so caves woudl be almost like a t5 POI.. if one spawned. if not, a t0.)

Anyway: I used to have the rabbit spawn in some hordes, but it got messy so I took all the horde spawning out, except for the "ZombiesHoard" group.. but maybe the game is not using that group very much (or only on horde nights, and the rabbit runs away as they spawn kinda far from your base?)

18 hours ago, blade muncher said:

Oh yea I wanna find a way for these rabbits to open doors too :)))))))) how can I do that?

oof.. I don't know how to do that but... it appears? there is a way to have NPC's open doors using the NPC mods here

to see the documentation ( I have no idea how to do this/modify much in these mods, you may have to join "Guppy's Discord server" (look on these forums for it) and maybe someone there might be able to help?

Anyway: The "0-SCore" mod has this file in it: utilityai.xml and in that file it documents the ability to give NPC's (in the NPC packs) the ability to open doors: "If the NPC has ran into a door, it will open, and close the door, if the NPC is allowed."

So I would assume instead of using the entity "rabbit" class/AI in my existing mods XML, you would/could be able to somehow change it to an "NPC" class that could open doors... but I'm not sure if it would act "like a rabbit" anymore ( jumping, hopping, just being adorable).  But maybe you could hook the NPC "door opening" capability into the rabbit?

The rabbit "is" a standalong entity, not part of the NPC pack,... but there are animal NPC packs. Maybe as part of a21 updating I can make it more "NPC pack compatible", but "door opening via this "NPC AI add-on/feature" I'm not familiar with, and I don't have a lot of modding time right now to try making updates.

19 hours ago, blade muncher said:

Alright thanks! So after some time 6 rabbits spawned in the desert. they dont seem to presuade the player unless provoked which is fine I guess. My friend was freaking out when 3 rabbits started chasing him XD. I guess I just needed make a new file to make the spawn work? 

Maybe? I think they will go after players if they get "too close" but that was with the settings I had originally, I'm not sure if any of the settings for "attack from far away distance" actually work.  Maybe you could turn on the "global" feral sense in the game options and they would hunt you from a long distance (and every zed too)?

• 4 weeks later...

@Rambo311

Mod uploaded here: 7D2D-Doughs-Mods-a21 as "Doughs-Food-SousChefOfTheApocalypse-ClientIcons"

I was planning on adding custom icons for all the new items, using some AI tools, but it isn't working out too well, and is more work than I thought. I tried adding some more using good ol' "manually doing it' and I have lost my barely practiced image manipulation techniques ;)  Anyway: I updated the Sous Chef client icons mod with the original icons I had and tested it out on 21.2 ( latest experimental) and it looks like it works.  You should be able to add it to a running game as it just replaces the referenced vanilla icons in the 'Doughs-Food-SousChefOfTheApocalypse' mod, but since its "icons" being added if you're playing multiplayer the mod needs to be on the server running the game AND everyone connecting to it.

4 hours ago, Megamoula said:

Hi, I have a question regarding the dark night mod.
I would like to make the night even darker, I would like to know what value I should change to make it even darker. ty

Im not going to be near my pc until next weekend but ill look into it when i get back. My mod only changes a few things to make it darker but it might be best to make a second "companion" mod to change all the other variables to put it down to total darkness, which would then document all the variables and provide something for everyone to make changes to hand tune the darkness to what they want. My "darker" mod is made to be dark but "sorta realistic" though there have been some comments the moon ambience is too low and is unrealistic, which i agree with. I made it super low as the "moon phases" change over 7 days in the game and day 1 moon is much brighter than day 5 moon, and my settings make day 1 much darker, and day 5 very dark, but not total (i think).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all. Please help, I have almost no experience with mods, how can I get this mod to work? I created a Mods folder in the game folder, and placed the Doughs-Ambiance-DarkNights folder there with the mod itself inside. I checked it in the game - it doesn’t work, the nights are still light. Then I read somewhere that I need to create a Mods folder in %APPDATA%/7DaysToDie/ - ok, I created it there and also put the folder with the mod inside, it still doesn’t work. What am I doing wrong?

On 11/2/2023 at 4:55 AM, Swordsman said:

Hi all. Please help, I have almost no experience with mods, how can I get this mod to work? I created a Mods folder in the game folder, and placed the Doughs-Ambiance-DarkNights folder there with the mod itself inside. I checked it in the game - it doesn’t work, the nights are still light. Then I read somewhere that I need to create a Mods folder in %APPDATA%/7DaysToDie/ - ok, I created it there and also put the folder with the mod inside, it still doesn’t work. What am I doing wrong?

I'm not sure actually where mods go on Windows systems as i am not using Windows and i put mine in the game folder (under the "7 Days to Die" folder) and it works on my system.  I think they did make changes on windows but someone else is probably more able to help you on the Windows location. Be aware though that in game the darkest night seems to be 2 AM on Day 5 (the game naturally has different lighting each night, darkening from day 1 to seemingly day 5 (darkest) and then it starts getting lighter, and day 10 should be another darkest night.

What version of the game are you running? I have not tested the mod on the latest experimental builds

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2023 at 12:47 AM, GingerBeardMan07 said:

love the idea of removing the time and day, just wish I could also craft a watch to turn it on for the immersion factor. Keep up the stellar work.

Thanks! yeah, I wish I knew enough to be able to make one and I have a few ideas on ways to make it sort of work (in cheesy ways, not like a few overhaul mods have done and made nice watches).  I was hoping that either someone would release a watch/time mod or the game will get out of alpha/go gold and then the modding API would be stable enough to want to spend time on making one. For me personally, I would want a "battery mechanic" where the watch will eventually need new batteries (or wear down/slow down/stop working in some way) so once you craft a watch you won't be "done with the time issue".  I like the games somewhat subtle "crickets" sound cue for "nighttime is coming" (and the sun dropping tells you as well) so i normally use those to "determine if I have to run home, or make a temp base".  Of course (at your base) once you get power up and can use timers you can have lights sort of tell you the time (like lights go on/off at a certain time)...but not the day, which is something that would be neat...it would be nice to be able to make a day based "horde night" alert (or even a "tomorrow is horde night" alert).

I really wish the game had more "electrical" mechanics, like:

- solar would work based on the cloud/sun strength.

- more timer options (like a day based timer, or a timer with timing increments down to 30 seconds)

- traps and any "electrical things" having large variations in wattage usage (like tiers of traps: a tier 1 blade trap using a lot more power than tier 3)

- an "electrical block" capability to be able to enforce "powered workstations" (ovens, microwaves, toasters, better chemistry stations, power the cement mixer, refrigerator/cooling/heating, etc)

- clocks and flashlights that required batteries

- all Batteries ( flashlight, clock/watch, and car batteries) having a "quality' that was not just wattage/output but also "lifetime".  Its kinda thrilling not knowing when your stuff is going to stop working, and then not have that stuff for awhile until you can recharge/loot/craft more batteries.

- the ability to set a clock alarm (with a battery), and place it, and have it go off and attract zombies to it.  This would make finding clocks in POI's and being able to pick then up (put battery in them) and use them as traps kinda fun and useful.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on A21.2. 

I'm assuming installing it requires me to replace the "worldglobal" file that's in the 7 Days config folder with the one I extracted from the zip, correct? I didn't see any other files or folders that I usually see with mods.

That's what I did and it made that everywhere was gray, like there was super dense fog no matter the biome or time of day. I could only see a block's worth of space in front of me.

I would LOVE to get this mod to work. It's one of my two issues with the game. 

Edited by Arez (see edit history)

15 hours ago, Arez said:

I'm on A21.2. 

I'm assuming installing it requires me to replace the "worldglobal" file that's in the 7 Days config folder with the one I extracted from the zip, correct? I didn't see any other files or folders that I usually see with mods.

That's what I did and it made that everywhere was gray, like there was super dense fog no matter the biome or time of day. I could only see a block's worth of space in front of me.

I would LOVE to get this mod to work. It's one of my two issues with the game. 

Most of my mods were migrated from a20 to a21 and tested/playtested on a21.0, so its possible there is an issue with the latest versions of the game, but first we need to make sure the mod(s) are properly installed, and copying over game files is not the correct way (for my mods).

It may be worth looking up "how to install mods" for a21: There are many ways

I use Ubuntu, not Windows so I just make a "Mods" folder in my games install directory and put the mods there. One place I believe should have decent/current windows specific instructions for doing ths (but I have not tested on Windows) is here: https://7daystodiemods.com/how-to-install-7-days-to-die-mods/ . There is a note at the bottom about "Alpha 20.4 b42" (and probably any version above this) that has new alternative places for mods, and its possible the  current "Mods" folder location will change or be invalid in future releases IMHO.

Also: There are several methods to install mods/overhauls, one is a mod launcher/app which I have not tested but looks "up to date":

Extra info if needed:

All of my mods are supposed to be put into a "Mods" folder in the games base directory (this folder you may have to create if you have not created it, the game install does not create it), and not by replacing any of the games files. Replacing the games files I believe was an older way of installing/adding mods, or may be done for some large overhaul mods but that was a long time ago and possibly only for certain overhaul mods still today?

All of my mods (and may other mods do as well) and should have this general structure (and more files/folders may be present, this is just an example to pinpoint the top level folder). NOTE: You have to unzip them if they are zipped, and sometimes? (depending on how they are downloaded?)  unzipping creates an extra top level folder you need to not use!

<modname>/Config/<files.xml>

Where:

<modname> = This is the toplevel folder and name of the mod, like "Doughs-Lights-HarderToCraft". 

Note: To prove its the toplevel folder, inside this folder is a ModInfo.xml that will contain more info about the mod "friendly name" name and version. If this file is not immediately inside the "toplevel folder" you put into the "Mods" folder, the game will not load the mod.

Config = a folder literally named "Config"

<files.xml> = any files that have an .xml extension.

ADDITIONALLY: You will have to use Steam to repair the game/install if you have already copied over the game files with my mods and didn't make a backup.  repair the game first ( where it runs without mods) and then try the methods to install mods I gave.  If you still have issues, let me know. The fog mod (if this is what you are using) has pretty thick fog when its working which might not be to everyone's tastes, but its an easy mod to make changes to to lighten the fog up, or just make it day/night fog.