I hate sleepers

Vomkat

It would require a lot more AI work and is possible in future versions. Just like anything else, get the basics down and then expand from there. They're still working out basic coding issues at this point. Not that anyone needs to be reminded for the umpteenth time, but we are still very much in Alpha. I've seen new code showing for a raft and an elevator just in the last update that may be coming our way with several other new surprises. Let them polish or rework existing code with their new development team and then we'll really see what this game is capable of.

What makes you think they are insisting only one zombie instead of they just haven't gotten to it yet?

I'll do it for free. All they have to do is contact me, and I will send them an improved .xml file, and then they can do an update. Easy fix. No excuse not to do it.

- - - Updated - - -

This game did not originally have sleepers. That's not what originally drew people to this game.

If that is the case, why not fire off a weapon and wake them all? I do that some times when I do not feel like spending 15-30 minutes clearing a POI while being stealthy.

This only works in A18 for small POIs since the spawn range has been reduced. For larger POIs the spawn range is so small that you have to be in the next room to spawn the sleepers.

In the T5 apartment building there is a room where you fall through the floor. In A17 you could break through the floor and shoot at the sleepers from above. In A18 is the room empty when you look at it from above but when you fall down the zombies spawn right in front of you.

Just like anything else, get the basics down and then expand from there.

The mechanics behind the game's main threat should be considered the "basics" and should have been conceptually worked out a long time ago. TFP barely seemed to have thought about it beyond "we're going to have zombies AND voxels AND loot AND bandits AND crafting AND etc." and just started programming in Unity without realizing the technical limitations (something actually openly lamented by MadMole).

So now we're stuck with a predictable and often underwhelming gameplay loop, with zombies neatly waiting in place for the player to pass by, instead of improvements to the much more dynamic earlier spawning system, because apparently that conflicted with the graphical ambitions that TFP had in terms of performance. It just feels like a downgrade in so many regards, even if the graphics have become more realistic as a trade off.

I'll probably come back to the game if/when the encounters system gets fleshed out a little, but I'm not holding my breath for anything revolutionary by this point.

The mechanics behind the game's main threat should be considered the "basics" and should have been conceptually worked out a long time ago.

I'll probably come back to the game if/when the encounters system gets fleshed out a little, but I'm not holding my breath for anything revolutionary by this point.

The design of the game used to be all over the place (and still is in some ways) imho. While the game had interesting content and its initial conception was superb, it seemed as if no thought at all was put into its systems. Even though MM fully took over at some point, as he said, and indeed did fix many gameplay inconsistencies, I still think that not much thought is being put into some changes (sleepers being one of them), so I share your pessimism. I can only hope that the encounter system will be more inspired and less flat than quests.

I'm not actually opposed to the sleepers themselves.

The real problem is that basically all the zombies have been converted to sleepers. There are fewer zombies outside wandering around, and there are way too many zombies crowded into buildings taking a nap.

I generally play dead is dead, so not dying is a pretty obvious and realistic goal. I've really got no reason but sheer boredom to actually enter a building. There's nothing in there that I need. It's not like I'm starving, and I don't need any ammo or guns. You can survive quite easily by just wandering around hunting deer and trading.

I would just like to see more effort by the devs to create real challenges, rather than these artificial dungeons and quests. Yes, that skyscraper full of zombies may be challenging, but its not a real challenge since you don't really gain anything of value. Ooo a purple SMG, so what? I guess I can sell it to the trader for cat food.

The gamestage system also discourages me from going in buildings. The more I loot, and the more zombies I kill, the more likely I am to start seeing glowing green zombies. So why bother? If my goal is survival (and it is a survival game, yes?), then the best strategy is to stay away from buildings.

I disabled horde nights just so I don't have to listen to the awful noise. There's just no threat at all, worse case scenario is I just run in a random direction until dawn. Big deal.

The green zombies are the most ugly thing. Its pretty easy to remove them per notepad++ with the replace word option. They just look like ***, breaking immersion and after day 30 they are the new standard zombie. Why dont make 2-3 zombietypes more for difficulty instead of recolor them? I hope they remove the greens in the progress of the game.

Meanwhile i do the work myself and remove them by xml, pretty annoying job. Dont nerf them, same stats but just not ugly green. Glowing eyes are enough, this looks nice.

Same with all the recoloring of any items and weapons, pls for the love of basic anything, STOP COLORING ANYTHING!

Bننh this looks so bننننh! Its a shame.

The green zombies are the most ugly thing. Its pretty easy to remove them per notepad++ with the replace word option. They just look like ***, breaking immersion and after day 30 they are the new standard zombie. Why dont make 2-3 zombietypes more for difficulty instead of recolor them? I hope they remove the greens in the progress of the game.

Meanwhile i do the work myself and remove them by xml, pretty annoying job. Dont nerf them, same stats but just not ugly green. Glowing eyes are enough, this looks nice.

Same with all the recoloring of any items and weapons, pls for the love of basic anything, STOP COLORING ANYTHING!

Bننh this looks so bننننh! Its a shame.

i kinda like zombie varnets, while the Radioactive zombies are kinda odd looking i still like their ability but not really there look.

i would ether make them "mutated" were they grow bone armor and special zombie gain new abilities like Spiders able to spit and jump higher.

or maybe diseased were their veins are glowing with a Red Plus and with glowing sores and they can infect you easier.

The green zombies are the most ugly thing. Its pretty easy to remove them per notepad++ with the replace word option.

I've done that. I've edited the .xml files to make better biomes. More wandering zombies. No stupid zombies. More realistic loot. The game was more fun and challenging.

Everytime there is a patch I have to start all over again, and it's just not worth it. The developers should let me edit the official .xml files and then they can include an improved version with every update.

I've really got no reason but sheer boredom to actually enter a building. There's nothing in there that I need. It's not like I'm starving, and I don't need any ammo or guns. You can survive quite easily by just wandering around hunting deer and trading.

I would just like to see more effort by the devs to create real challenges, rather than these artificial dungeons and quests. Yes, that skyscraper full of zombies may be challenging, but its not a real challenge since you don't really gain anything of value. Ooo a purple SMG, so what? I guess I can sell it to the trader for cat food.

You don't need weapons? You are happy with eggs, some meat and wild berries? Just a little trade with traders?

I suggest you should play farming simulator instead. The game seems to suit better to what you want.

I've done that. I've edited the .xml files to make better biomes. More wandering zombies. No stupid zombies. More realistic loot. The game was more fun and challenging.

Everytime there is a patch I have to start all over again, and it's just not worth it. The developers should let me edit the official .xml files and then they can include an improved version with every update.

Are you not using Xpath and building modlets? Hand-editing the .xml under /data/config is a...challenging...way to do it. If you have the skill to understand XML, you will have no problems with Xpath.

Archived