Getting started...

Walterstj

I've only ever played 7DTD on console...

I'd like to try the PC version but...

My PC is like me, on the older side

It's an Intel i5

16 GB of RAM

64-bit operating system

When I go into 7DTD even at the lowest settings and the mouse sensitivity turned off, it still runs like garbage... When I barely move the mouse, it seems to move 100 times faster on the screen and I end up looking straight up or at the ground...

There is no graphics card, just the Intel stuff from the computer... Will a graphics card alone fix this or is it just time to buy a new gaming tower?

If it is just a graphics card, any suggestions without having to break the bank? I've looked at a couple and for those prices, a new tower seems like a cheaper option but I literally am at a loss... I enjoy the game but would enjoy the PC content better... Ty and enjoy the holidays....

I've only ever played 7DTD on console...

I'd like to try the PC version but...

My PC is like me, on the older side

It's an Intel i5

16 GB of RAM

64-bit operating system

When I go into 7DTD even at the lowest settings and the mouse sensitivity turned off, it still runs like garbage... When I barely move the mouse, it seems to move 100 times faster on the screen and I end up looking straight up or at the ground...

There is no graphics card, just the Intel stuff from the computer... Will a graphics card alone fix this or is it just time to buy a new gaming tower?

If it is just a graphics card, any suggestions without having to break the bank? I've looked at a couple and for those prices, a new tower seems like a cheaper option but I literally am at a loss... I enjoy the game but would enjoy the PC content better... Ty and enjoy the holidays....

You definitely need a dedicated graphics card at the minimum becuase integrated graphics are universally garbage. A whole new PC would give you some future proofing and let you play a lot of other games, but just the card should allow you to play 7dtd without problems.

You should get one with at least 6 gigs of VRAM and make sure your cooling is up to snuff, cuz that sucker's gonna get hot. You probably want an nvidia to go with your intel cpu. I think 1060s are pretty cheap now and holiday sales are a good time to buy.

"An Intel i5".

This information is completely useless.

Intel has been creating i5s for 10 years(!) now. It's like saying you got an iPhone and not if it's the 1 or 10.

GTX1060 is obsolete, get a GTX1660 with like 6 GB for the same price.

@njugul the plus on performance isn´t worth the price for a 1660. 15%+ is what you gain. 8GB is what to aim for if there is already a 1060 in play. And you can still play this with a 960. Just saying.

Yes, +15% Performance for the same price.

Kinda nobrainer.

I was trying to recommend a reasonably priced card and the 1060 is far from obsolete, my 6 year old i5 laptop still runs the game fine. Wind yer neck in man!

Why would he care about a card you bought years ago?

He wants to buy a card now, and the 1060 is obsolete as the 1660 replaced it. More performance for the same price. Why would he buy an outdated card?

"An Intel i5".

This information is completely useless.

Intel has been creating i5s for 10 years(!) now. It's like saying you got an iPhone and not if it's the 1 or 10.

GTX1060 is obsolete, get a GTX1660 with like 6 GB for the same price.

My obsolete card gets 80-90FPS in this game without an issue with near max settings.

The 1060 is far from obsolete.

Will a graphics card alone fix this or is it just time to

buy a new gaming tower?

I think the answer is new graphics card, but it depends on your i5. I have a 3550

from 2012 that runs the game fine so even an old one is acceptable. I think there

are 2 core versions though that would not be enough.

There's been a lot of issues with AMD graphics so I'd recommend the best Nvidia

card you can afford.

If I was in your situation, I would just get the new video card, reasoning that if I

wanted to upgrade to a new computer in the future, I'd already have a good

graphics card to use. 1060 works great but I'd get something in current production

with 8 gigs vram.

I feel like everybody missed your mouse sensitivity issue. An inferior graphics card should not make the camera flick from sky to ground (unless the framerate is so terrible it's causing you to overshoot). What mouse are you using, and have you looked at both your system and in-game mouse settings? Do you perhaps have a mouse with a physical DPI button?

If I was in your situation, I would just get the new video card, reasoning that if I

wanted to upgrade to a new computer in the future, I'd already have a good

graphics card to use.

Depends on what you define as "good". ;)

A 1060 imho is not "good". It's a 3 year old mid-class GPU. That doesn't mean it can not run various games, and coming from console it might run even better than what somebody is used by consoles.

1060 works great but I'd get something in current production

with 8 gigs vram.

8GB VRAM from "current production" and "cheap" and "not AMD" will become a little bit difficult. That will start with a RTX 2060S for 400€ (don't know what it costs in $).

Might get cheaper with an RX580/590 (<200€), but that's AMD then.

Otherwise you could buy a used graphics card, like a GTX 1070 if you want to have 8GB.

If you just plan a GPU for playing 7d2d i'd choose a lower budget one. If you plan on using the GPU for the next year and want to have it suitable even when upgrading the rest of your PC, i'd suggest investing at least 400€.

There has been a thread recently on the forum where they pointed out that you need 8GB to run 7d2d smoothly with highest texture quality.

(unless the framerate is so terrible it's causing you to overshoot)

I assume it is. I don't know any Intel integrated graphics that would be capable of handling games like 7d2d with an acceptable framerate at all.

Archived