dead-is-dead just ain't working for me in A18 (yet…).

quyxkh

<fierce grin>

:rapture: cool.

Seriously, I'm really loving the desperation.

Things I particularly love:

• mobs running away
  • scary boars. scary zed rage.
  • low-power primitive bows, really putting the arch in archery there. This might be my favorite.

Things I think missed:

• when she was eight my niece might have hit harder with a club than a no-perks character can manage in A18. Maybe the wooden club's always been this way, my startup benchmark was starter perks and iron club by 9.
  • crapshoot tedium on starter quests seems even worse. I've been doing bows a long while now, have plenty of practice spotting nests, seriously, make sure the needed resources are within a few meters, the mechanics intro's the point, not the unreliability of loot hunting, right? Time enough to learn about that later.

Things I want back:

• Encumbrance was fine. I almost always had better things to do with my perk points, the desperation's gone now, and with it the satisfaction of making hard choices well.
  • Getting to forge+tools was Your First Big Project. Maybe I'll figure out the replacement.

Did charging always do extra damage? Am I imagining it? I see the perk's gone, even though I never took it, am I running on

?

After two deaths in one day, my new javelin guy with 4 belt slots of spears is still doing ok.

Also, on Nomad at least, Days 2-5 sometimes have ferals or wolves at around 4-6am.

If I die again, I will drop difficulty to adventurer as I don't want the "25 deaths" Achievement(?).

After two deaths in one day, my new javelin guy with 4 belt slots of spears is still doing ok.

Also, on Nomad at least, Days 2-5 sometimes have ferals or wolves at around 4-6am.

If I die again, I will drop difficulty to adventurer as I don't want the "25 deaths" Achievement(?).

I play on warrior myself, day 9 0 deaths, never even came close. Started with a agi build, no stealth perks yet, Agi is Painful as hell early game until you get 3 or 5 agi and deep cuts 2/3 for melee, or if you get a machete. Had some good luck, day 5 I made a minibike, day 8 I bought a motorcycle the trader was selling for 20k, Most normal zombies on warrior are dropped in 2-3 swings, with a power attack opener (to drop the full stack of bleeds). I can also 1 shot male and female non-fat zombies with stealth headshots now with a pistol. 3/3 deep cuts/handguns. Using msotly heavy armor atm, so thats why I didn't bother with the stealth perks.

I also loot poi's at night now that I finally got a helmit lamp mod.

<fierce grin>

:rapture: cool.

Seriously, I'm really loving the desperation.

Things I particularly love:

• mobs running away
  • scary boars. scary zed rage.
  • low-power primitive bows, really putting the arch in archery there. This might be my favorite.

Things I think missed:

• when she was eight my niece might have hit harder with a club than a no-perks character can manage in A18. Maybe the wooden club's always been this way, my startup benchmark was starter perks and iron club by 9.
  • crapshoot tedium on starter quests seems even worse. I've been doing bows a long while now, have plenty of practice spotting nests, seriously, make sure the needed resources are within a few meters, the mechanics intro's the point, not the unreliability of loot hunting, right? Time enough to learn about that later.

Things I want back:

• Encumbrance was fine. I almost always had better things to do with my perk points, the desperation's gone now, and with it the satisfaction of making hard choices well.
  • Getting to forge+tools was Your First Big Project. Maybe I'll figure out the replacement.

Did charging always do extra damage? Am I imagining it? I see the perk's gone, even though I never took it, am I running on

?

Bows in general seem really weak in a18, which is kinda needed, as they been strong as hell for ages. The problem is 2 fold, lowish damage, and rarity of feathers. I find more gun ammo than I do feathers, so I just use guns perked or no, I carry 1 of each ammo type on me, a pistol, a double barreled shotty (as I didn't find a pump one yet), and a ak47.

I think the low feathers has another purpose though: to force people into melee and get them used to the new rage mechanic. Its pretty nasty in melee on warrior+ difficulty early game when you lack armor and perks/weapons, zombies REALLY hurt without armor.

I actually had a Spider before the first night ended, and certainly had both ferals and wolves before level 2.

It seems like there are less zeds, but that they feel stronger now.

Bows in general seem really weak in a18, which is kinda needed, as they been strong as hell for ages. The problem is 2 fold, lowish damage, and rarity of feathers. I find more gun ammo than I do feathers, so I just use guns perked or no, I carry 1 of each ammo type on me, a pistol, a double barreled shotty (as I didn't find a pump one yet), and a ak47.

I'm getting better, I don't think I'll ever roflstomp early like with A17 but the combined-arms assault, head shot them 'til they stagger before moving in for a quick rmelee hit or two, rinse, repeat, is starting to come together. The slower arrows and worse accuracy and just general getting-used-to-it with the starter bow means I have to be much more thoughtful, in A17 I could prioritize the bow and only melee the sponges, but A18 I have to count costs a little more and always always always be ready to dart away, I'm starting to get tactical with terrain as a matter of course and even using frikken hay bales in a pinch, which I never had to do before

I think I'll be mourning the loss of naked barbed wire for a while, it's not on my want-it-back list because it really was overpowered, but oh, the glory of slaughter in the doorways will be missed.

I'm starting to really believe the running-headshot-power-swing works, and anyway it feels good.

Decided to loot an Army Camp after the Horde Night. Looted an Army Base, what could go wrong?

The moment i decided to head to a nearby ruin to check if i looted it after i came out the front entrance was a bad move. Army Base didn't have mines splattered all over. Army Camp did. I still wonder why i didn't stop after the first explosion and simple continued running in that direction.

A found a third mine just next to my backpack, when i came over to retrieve it. Funny thing, that was my 100th death, so i got my Steam achievement...

Decided to loot an Army Camp after the Horde Night. Looted an Army Base, what could go wrong?

The moment i decided to head to a nearby ruin to check if i looted it after i came out the front entrance was a bad move. Army Base didn't have mines splattered all over. Army Camp did. I still wonder why i didn't stop after the first explosion and simple continued running in that direction.

A found a third mine just next to my backpack, when i came over to retrieve it. Funny thing, that was my 100th death, so i got my Steam achievement...

Yeah, my "spider senses" were tingling for sure when I was working zombies over the mines... and I'll do it again! :)

I play on warrior myself, day 9 0 deaths, never even came close. Started with a agi build, no stealth perks yet, Agi is Painful as hell early game until you get 3 or 5 agi and deep cuts 2/3 for melee, or if you get a machete. Had some good luck, day 5 I made a minibike, day 8 I bought a motorcycle the trader was selling for 20k, Most normal zombies on warrior are dropped in 2-3 swings, with a power attack opener (to drop the full stack of bleeds). I can also 1 shot male and female non-fat zombies with stealth headshots now with a pistol. 3/3 deep cuts/handguns. Using msotly heavy armor atm, so thats why I didn't bother with the stealth perks.

I also loot poi's at night now that I finally got a helmit lamp mod.

Your doing good in A18 I'd say! I noticed, once a person gets a few pieces of iron armor, things start getting easier.

Your doing good in A18 I'd say! I noticed, once a person gets a few pieces of iron armor, things start getting easier.

Even leather armor is pretty good. Armor in general is very vital in a18. The armor perks do not up armor rating anymore, they instead lower the armor penalties to movement and stamina. The armor has enough armor rating as if you had the proper per maxxed in A17.

If players don't find A18 a walk in the park then umm... you're welcome? =P

On default difficulty and with the new death penalty it's not that hard.

If you play with personal rules like DID... cool. Whatever you feel is the right amount of challenge.

On my current build I'm almost exclusively using spears (2 on hot bar) with a sledge as my main melee wpn (no archery). It's actually pretty liberating that using a bow doesnt feel like a necessity anymore. Frees up a couple slots and saves time having to look for feathers. 😁

On my current build I'm almost exclusively using spears (2 on hot bar) with a sledge as my main melee wpn (no archery). It's actually pretty liberating that using a bow doesnt feel like a necessity anymore. Frees up a couple slots and saves time having to look for feathers.

I decided for an AGI build as the first, mainly because i wanted to see how different it will be using bow and knife. It's definitely fun and the pistol supplements them quite nicely. During my recent nights a feral came knocking on the entrance to my base. Opened the door, jabbed him (PowAtt) in the skull, which made him stumble. Another stab to the neck and i quickly pulled out my gun, shooting straight in the foreface... Quick and easy :D

Next world i'll try something different, also deciding not to make a stealthy build, but more of a tank.

Even leather armor is pretty good. Armor in general is very vital in a18. The armor perks do not up armor rating anymore, they instead lower the armor penalties to movement and stamina. The armor has enough armor rating as if you had the proper per maxxed in A17.

Which is great but the reduction in movement speed and stamina use running in Iron Armour is BAD unless you spec into Heavy Armour. I slapped on a few bits of Iron I picked up when I had no points in the perk, and REALLY felt it. I am going Light this run I think.

Archived