Turrets Syndrome?

GameOverMan

My cousin only has one leg. Her name is Eileen.

When she moved to South Korea last year she changed it to Irene.

Bl

That is a terrible joke, sir.

Now excuse me while I make others groan because of it. (Because internet doesn't really get intent across, I enjoyed the joke and chuckled at it)

My cousin only has one leg. Her name is Eileen.

When she moved to South Korea last year she changed it to Irene.

Sorry, that one flew right by me, proving I might very well likely be a half-wit. Actually I have 1 and 3/4 legs only 25% is gone, basically the foot, so your cousin may be a below knee or above knee amputee, if above knee then she has 1 3/4 legs, not just one, but most people say that I lost my "leg" when technically I just lost my foot because the cut was in the middle between my knee and foot. I get things like, "are you pullin' my leg", "it costs and arm and a leg", "I wish you would stand on your own two feet". If I were missing a hand it would be "I got to hand it to to", "Give me a hand over here", "Well your not much of a handyman anymore are you" and so on.

I have found that it does not take very long to find something offensive on the internet. You could start by typing offensive in google and from there you will be among the finest offensive material the net has to offer. Dig too deep and you may find something really offensive. I will stick to cute cats myself so I do not stain my pure-as-the driven-snow innocence.

Seriously the internet does have really weird crap that if you see it, it may be burned in your head and once you see it you can never un-see it. My friend used too tell me about this site called rotten.com so one day I say "it could not be that bad", well I had an image of something really offensive burned in my head and it took a long time to get over it. I would never mention it here but believe me it would make most normal people sick.

How about my friend with no arms and no legs who likes to swim. I really like Bob.

Well technically you could set him in a dingy, so it not impossible for him to be in the water at least. For safety sake you might want to strap him in and have a safety line for him so he does not float away.

..And frankly, this harmless pun actually ups the "awareness" of the condition a tiny bit (just brings it to mind in this case). That probably doesn't sound ike a big deal, but as someone with a rare health problem I can tell you I'd be thrilled to see puns about POTS.

giphy.gif

My friend used too tell me about this site called rotten.com....

Don't go there. Really...just don't. Don't think "hey, Morloc is saying don't go there, so maybe there's something there that's pretty cool". Just avoid that place. I have things burnt in my brain from 20 years ago from there. It's like wasabi....you'll be like "this isn't really so bad!"....and then you'll find your tolerance limit...or perhaps lose your ability to empathize with humanity.

-Morloc

No surprise to see this thread being kept afloat all this time by a bunch of board lords lamenting PC culture. Good job guys, freedom wins once again!

This is all much simpler than people are making it out to be.

1. If something is offensive to members of a group, the decent thing to do is to stop doing/saying the offensive thing. No, this is not censorship. No, it is nothing to do with rights. No, this is nothing to do with free speech. You still can do or say the offensive thing - it's just that not doing it makes you a better person.
  2. If a particular group is marginalised and has less voice and less power/social standing in society, refraining from doing things that are offensive to them is more important than if a group is more mainstream and has more power/social standing; because the more marginalised people are, the more they have to deal with day-to-day. Again, this is not about rights or free speech; it's about being a decent person.
  3. If some members of the group don't find the thing offensive, they don't speak for the whole group. That doesn't give you a free pass to be offensive to the rest of the group.
  4. Marginalised groups, by definition, have less voice when speaking up for themselves. Therefore it's fine for someone outside the group - whose voice is more likely to be heard - to advocate for them and remind people that not saying/doing things that are offensive to the group is something that decent people should be aiming for.
  5. However, when advocating for a group in this way you should make sure you are actually helping them. It's very easy to go too far in a desire to help. Complaining that a marginalised group might/will find something offensive when there's no evidence that they do is patronising and condescending and should be avoided. Similarly, if members of the group are wanting to speak for themselves, talking for them (or, worse, talking over them) instead of giving them the chance to talk themselves is also patronising and condescending. Again, none of this is about rights or free speech. No-one is saying you cannot do these things. They're just things you should avoid doing if you want to be a better person.

See - it's pretty simple.

Applying it to this particular case, there's no hint (that I'm aware of) that anyone with Tourette's Syndrome finds this offensive (opinions have ranged from "funny" to "not funny but not offensive either"), so there's no reason to change it. If people with Tourette's Syndrome did find it offensive, then changing it would be decent thing to do. Refusing to change it even if it was offensive to some people with Tourette's Syndrome would be a poor thing to do, as would be talking on behalf of people with Tourette's Syndrome in a patronising manner without consulting them.

This is all much simpler than people are making it out to be.

1. If something is offensive to members of a group, the decent thing to do is to stop doing/saying the offensive thing. No, this is not censorship. No, it is nothing to do with rights. No, this is nothing to do with free speech. You still can do or say the offensive thing - it's just that not doing it makes you a better person.
  2. If a particular group is marginalised and has less voice and less power/social standing in society, refraining from doing things that are offensive to them is more important than if a group is more mainstream and has more power/social standing; because the more marginalised people are, the more they have to deal with day-to-day. Again, this is not about rights or free speech; it's about being a decent person.
  3. If some members of the group don't find the thing offensive, they don't speak for the whole group. That doesn't give you a free pass to be offensive to the rest of the group.
  4. Marginalised groups, by definition, have less voice when speaking up for themselves. Therefore it's fine for someone outside the group - whose voice is more likely to be heard - to advocate for them and remind people that not saying/doing things that are offensive to the group is something that decent people should be aiming for.
  5. However, when advocating for a group in this way you should make sure you are actually helping them. It's very easy to go too far in a desire to help. Complaining that a marginalised group might/will find something offensive when there's no evidence that they do is patronising and condescending and should be avoided. Similarly, if members of the group are wanting to speak for themselves, talking for them (or, worse, talking over them) instead of giving them the chance to talk themselves is also patronising and condescending. Again, none of this is about rights or free speech. No-one is saying you cannot do these things. They're just things you should avoid doing if you want to be a better person.

See - it's pretty simple.

Applying it to this particular case, there's no hint (that I'm aware of) that anyone with Tourette's Syndrome finds this offensive (opinions have ranged from "funny" to "not funny but not offensive either"), so there's no reason to change it. If people with Tourette's Syndrome did find it offensive, then changing it would be decent thing to do. Refusing to change it even if it was offensive to some people with Tourette's Syndrome would be a poor thing to do, as would be talking on behalf of people with Tourette's Syndrome in a patronising manner without consulting them.

All joking aside this is a great post and the one we shall end on.

Archived