That One Week That Madmole Went Away

Exxodous

There is no "protection" from the Zeds. Folks are just complaining that other players use it to get up to the top of some POI's to get close access to the loot at the end.

I don't know why they would bypass 90% of the exp and random loot (not to mention to adventure) on the way up, but to each his (or her) own.

Some poi's are more annoying than fun, like the special tots Poi, I don't use nerdpoling myself much at all, I like to go thru the poi's for the exp and other loot, but in that poi I just nerdpole up the side of it to get the goodies on the roof. Its pretty much the only one I do it on. Besides, its not like you need to nerdpole to cheat the dungeons, you can bust down doors and cut each floors travel time down to 25%. In most of the dungeion poi's there is usually a door with iron reinforcing it that if you smash that door you can skip most of that floor. I do notice on the Special tots Poi that when you nerdpole up the side of it, it tends to wake up many sleepers inside and they make their way to the roof.

- - - Updated - - -

Still very annoying when playing on a public server.

Maybe, but so is going in to loot a poi someone already cleared and loot hasn't respawned yet, its virtually the same thing. Except since you nerdpolled up to the loot, you wasted much less time to find out its been looted already.

- - - Updated - - -

From a certain gamestage on it is hardly worthwhile to fight the zombies in the building because you consume more ammunition than you get back through the loot. So I can understand why players take a shortcut. Especially when they have looted the same kind of buildings already several times.

Apart from clearing quests, there is only one known dungeon building that I basically go through completely every time. That's the Doggos and it's so compact that it only takes a few minutes and I want the bones from the dogs inside the building. But even there I don't loot everything anymore. I fight my way through the dogs, zombies and vultures, harvest the dogs' bones and get the loot at the end of the dungeon.

Use melee, especally sledgehammer no ammo used. Ammo problem solved. You do not NEED to go in guns blazing into every poi you know. Spec in archery a bit, use bows, later on a stealth headshot can 1 shot ferals. and Steel arrows are bascally free with how many you can loot. I don't even make stone arrows in a17 anymore other than day 1, because by day 2 I have more steel arrows than I need, and I just start using them. Also people don't seem to know this but radiated zombies have the same hp as their non-radiated counterparts, so if you can 1 shot that normal male zombie, you can also 1 shot that radiated version as well. Regen is not an issue when you can 1 shot it. There is also the mod that stops their regen once you hit them once.

I don't see what the difference is. I'm gonna play it whether it's an Ax or a Bx version. They want to add more features that are a part of the fundamental gameplay so it stays in Alpha for as long as needed. How is this a bad thing? It might be bad if the game was overloaded with features, but it's not.

Same, The game is very playable in alpha, I've also seen games that have been released by AAA devs with way more issues than 7dtd has so there is that too. Anything from bethesda ring a bell? Whether its fallout or elder scrolls their games tend to have more bugs than anything else for being something they just charged 60 US for. My only issue with 7dtd is the dev teams inability to seem to stick to anything. I been around since a9 or 10, and each alpha the game changed in major ways, but the issue here is, its still you doing the same thing. A16 skills, were changed into a (worse form imo) in A17, and now with a18 they are doing it yet again. I bet A18 will still have the same problems A17 does with the skill system, Where in A17 int is pretty much the all important stat as is str, the rest of the stats, not so important.

They need to move certan skills away from stats and have a general perk pool with stuff like miner 69'er, motherload, pack mule, and simmlar perks this way your not forced to waste points in a stat you do not want or need just to get the one perk you do. My current a17.4 game, I am lv 21, 5 str 5 int, 1 in other stats, because all the perks I need asap are focused in those 2 stats, which means your bascally forced to go down them. Int for all the crafting stuff, str for pack mule, miner 69'er, motherload.

Speaking of inventory I wanna smack the guy who decided to give us a bigger inventory then slap us in the face for wanting to use it with the stupid encumbrance system. Its bad enough a few pieces of armor turns you into a snail.

I been playing Darkness Falls mod recently, and IMO its far better progression wise than a17 vanillia is. Its more of a A16 learn by doing system, the stats like str etc do not even exist in the mod. You wanna get good at mining? you have to actually mine to raise the skill then get the perk to make it better. Not to mention all the new content including 2 new tiers of items (Titanium and then Sci-fi), and all the new enemies.

Use melee, especally sledgehammer no ammo used. Ammo problem solved. You do not NEED to go in guns blazing into every poi you know. Spec in archery a bit, use bows, later on a stealth headshot can 1 shot ferals. and Steel arrows are bascally free with how many you can loot. I don't even make stone arrows in a17 anymore other than day 1, because by day 2 I have more steel arrows than I need, and I just start using them. Also people don't seem to know this but radiated zombies have the same hp as their non-radiated counterparts, so if you can 1 shot that normal male zombie, you can also 1 shot that radiated version as well. Regen is not an issue when you can 1 shot it. There is also the mod that stops their regen once you hit them once.

I actually use melee in most cases. In addition I often use the crossbow and only for emergencies I have a shotgun with me.

However, looting and killing zombies is boring for me. I enjoy building much more. From the Doggos I want mainly the bones to process them to glue.

Concerning the ammo consumption I refer to postings from different players who have complained that they consume more ammo than they can loot:

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?108840-loot-for-the-high-tier-POI

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?104185-Late-Game-stage-POI-s-are-getting-to-where-they-aren-t-worth-looting-anymore

To get back to the subject, not everyone wants or can go into melee. That's why I understand it when they use nerdpoling to go directly to the roof and get their loot without using much ammunition.

I actually use melee in most cases. In addition I often use the crossbow and only for emergencies I have a shotgun with me.

However, looting and killing zombies is boring for me. I enjoy building much more. From the Doggos I want mainly the bones to process them to glue.

Concerning the ammo consumption I refer to postings from different players who have complained that they consume more ammo than they can loot:

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?108840-loot-for-the-high-tier-POI

https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?104185-Late-Game-stage-POI-s-are-getting-to-where-they-aren-t-worth-looting-anymore

To get back to the subject, not everyone wants or can go into melee. That's why I understand it when they use nerdpoling to go directly to the roof and get their loot without using much ammunition.

7dtd is not your typical shooter fps with ammo everywhere, its meant to have you scrounge for it. If every poi gave you more ammo than you used to clear it, there would be no real purpose to crafting ammo. This is the issue have people must be thinking: "It has guns so ammo should be everywhere" There is melee, there is bows, both have little to no ammo use. The problem there is not the game its the player, they are trying to play 7dtd like its your average fps that has far to abundant ammo everywhere. The game is not built that way.

Also the sledgehammer has almost a 3 block range, you can nail headshots with it well before a zombie can get in range to even try to swing at you. If you do about half their health in 1 hit it also knocks them down, which with the sledge is VERY easy to do even on the 300 hp fat tourist zombies. Steel arrows with comp bow and 1 mod in the bow is enough to stealth instakill 150 hp male zombies. You can do this on day 1 with how common steel arrow loot is. Its even easier if you take 1 level in the perk for +sneak attack damage.

If you can get a rad remover mod for the bow.... :D :D :D

I got a rad remover in my club, in my crossbow and in my shotgun. If I find another rad remover it comes into the sledgehammer.

But what I really miss are burning shaft mods. I put them in every melee weapon and tool when I find enough of them.

7dtd is not your typical shooter fps with ammo everywhere, its meant to have you scrounge for it. If every poi gave you more ammo than you used to clear it, there would be no real purpose to crafting ammo. This is the issue have people must be thinking: "It has guns so ammo should be everywhere" There is melee, there is bows, both have little to no ammo use. The problem there is not the game its the player, they are trying to play 7dtd like its your average fps that has far to abundant ammo everywhere. The game is not built that way.

Also the sledgehammer has almost a 3 block range, you can nail headshots with it well before a zombie can get in range to even try to swing at you. If you do about half their health in 1 hit it also knocks them down, which with the sledge is VERY easy to do even on the 300 hp fat tourist zombies. Steel arrows with comp bow and 1 mod in the bow is enough to stealth instakill 150 hp male zombies. You can do this on day 1 with how common steel arrow loot is. Its even easier if you take 1 level in the perk for +sneak attack damage.

To me, I think the game should have some Set presets/gamemodes of how the game should be played to attract a large audience.

Example. You are planning your first game, Do you want?

A large Landscape of scarce Ammo, guns and loot?

A rich and Diverse set of weapons and Loot?

Forget hordes of Zombies, Just build the base of your dreams (which i know is creative but still. That extra mile can speak a lot of words)

I got a rad remover in my club, in my crossbow and in my shotgun. If I find another rad remover it comes into the sledgehammer.

But what I really miss are burning shaft mods. I put them in every melee weapon and tool when I find enough of them.

I mod the burning shaft so its light value is 0.001 so that zombies don't see the light from it. Same for mining helm light, weapon flash light, torches. Basically stops its from messing with stealth. I also do it because I like to see at night and I cannot stand the green overlay the NV goggles use. If I could change it to cats eye chem from fallout new vegas that'd be awesome. I really wish 7dtd used loose files insted of these dumb archives unity uses so it'd be much easier to mod stuff like textures etc.

All radiated variants HAVE bigger HP pools, even ferals have a bit bigger. Example below from the file:

<entity_class name="zombieBoe" extends="zombieTemplateMale">

(...)

<effect_group name="Base Effects">

<passive_effect name="HealthMax" operation="base_set" value="135"/>

<passive_effect name="HealthMax" operation="perc_set" value="1"/> <!-- Zombie HP scale -->

</effect_group>

----------------------

<entity_class name="zombieBoeFeral" extends="zombieBoe">

(...)

<passive_effect name="HealthMax" operation="base_set" value="285"/>

<passive_effect name="HealthMax" operation="perc_set" value="1"/> <!-- Zombie HP scale -->

<passive_effect name="EntityDamage" operation="perc_add" value="0"/> <!-- Feral damage -->

</effect_group>

</entity_class>

----------------------

<entity_class name="zombieBoeRadiated" extends="zombieBoeFeral">

(...)

<passive_effect name="HealthMax" operation="base_set" value="433"/>

<passive_effect name="EntityDamage" operation="perc_add" value="0"/> <!-- Feral damage -->

<triggered_effect trigger="onOtherDamagedSelf" action="ModifyCVar" target="self" cvar="RadiatedRegenAmount" operation="set" value="4.5"/>

<triggered_effect trigger="onOtherDamagedSelf" action="AddBuff" target="self" buff="buffRadiatedRegen"/>

</effect_group>

</entity_class>

Additionally, their HP differs between zombies of similar body type (Hawaiian 300, Fat Cop 250, Biker 285, Fat Female 200). And as much as i like diversity in enemies, they all give same XP (Hawaiian 800, Fat Cop 800, Biker 800 and only Fat Female 550, but her HP is higher than most Zs that give 550).

I had been reworking zombie HP, damage and resistances in my modlets. As you get higher tier weapons, you can add mods to them which raise damage significantly. Add to that at least 2.5x or higher damage bonus from stealth, headshot multiplier, % addon from perception and dismemberment chance. You can get way more damage this way, but some people simply prefer going in gun blazing.

If you're curious, i could send you the whole spreadsheet of zombie HP, damage, etc. that i prepared for my modding.

The annoying thing about ammo isn´t actually the shortage of it, i don´t mind that, but the fact that it is the only thing you don´t have enough off. It´s always brass. Mostly in MP where lead can be a problem too as the surface rocks and cars are gone quickly (i just can´t find a lead vein on my MP).

It´s always the same. Always. From a certain point you literally go only for ammo, wich is boring. I like to build, so i play long games, and ofc i need building materials all the time, but those aren´t a problem.

The annoying thing about ammo isn´t actually the shortage of it, i don´t mind that, but the fact that it is the only thing you don´t have enough off. It´s always brass.

madmole has recently posted in the forum that in A18 there will be more possibilities to get brass.

In A17 you still have the steel ammo as an alternative.

What not many people seem to know by the way is that you can disassemble some of these yellow valves on pipes with a wrench and they give brass as well. In a greenhouse POI there are many of these valves. The house can be recognized by the glass gable.

madmole has recently posted in the forum that in A18 there will be more possibilities to get brass.

In A17 you still have the steel ammo as an alternative.

What not many people seem to know by the way is that you can disassemble some of these yellow valves on pipes with a wrench and they give brass as well. In a greenhouse POI there are many of these valves. The house can be recognized by the glass gable.

Again: I am fine with the shortage. It´s just it´s always the same. Would it be for example only clothfragments that run out every single game and i have to only grind them every single late game, i would be bored of that too. (just as an example) I think we get ammo and guns waaaay to early in this game anyways. I had a pistol and 50 rounds on day one shortly after 12:00.

I wouldn´t put in more brass, i would rather go less guns and ammo overall. They push in artifical challenges and gives us guns and ammo superearly at the same time. A bit ironic.

Again: I am fine with the shortage. It´s just it´s always the same. Would it be for example only clothfragments that run out every single game and i have to only grind them every single late game, i would be bored of that too. (just as an example) I think we get ammo and guns waaaay to early in this game anyways. I had a pistol and 50 rounds on day one shortly after 12:00.

I wouldn´t put in more brass, i would rather go less guns and ammo overall. They push in artifical challenges and gives us guns and ammo superearly at the same time. A bit ironic.

Easy solution, use guns less and therefore, use less ammo.

As ironic as it may be, that is a valid tactic.

In most common RPGs, when you get rare consumables or ammo, most people tend to use them as little as possible due to their rarity. Let's say you have 50h of gameplay through the story, you get some items on the 4th hour, unless it's heavily prompted to be used and/or required for advancement, it'll stay in your inventory for later. Sure it would help you out early on, but then it would be gone, especially if you can manage without using it. And when poop hits the fan, you'll be sure to use it sooner or later. On the other hand, if you use it in a normal situation, you'll be cursing later on in a tough situation that you could have left it for said situation.

The same goes for ammo and guns. Sure you could use it early on, but why waste it on scrubs, as later on you'll have a bigger challenge? Sure you can find a lot of that early on, but it doesn't mean it's enough to last a horde night or something (maybe on lower difficulty). Making guns more rare is a solution, ammo not so much.

Archived