How many arrows does it take to kill an irriadiated soldier? A LOT!

timmodude

Yeah i mentioned this in my feedback post,

Archery in A17+ is totally dead by the time ferals become common enemies.

In A16 and earlier we used to have a perk which helped Archery stay valid at end game, but as soon as A17 came along, that perk was removed, and so with it...Archery is dead.

If you have the right mod in your bow, not that many. Hint: rad remover mod

Holy cow! I never read the mod text, just the name and assumed it was an armor thing. I had no idea it prevented rad zombies from health regen. Will surely be adding this to my bow since I actually have the mod schematic. Thanks!!

What is your level in perception ? And how many points do you have in headshot ? Is it Nomad difficulty ? What are your mods ? So many questions, sorry ! :D

Currently 10/10 in perception, though at that time it was probably lower, like maybe 8. And as for headshot, well since I'm a lousy shot, I don't bother. I can get a sneak headshot in sometimes, but after that I aim for the head but hit just about everywhere else :miserable: I play on warrior. And the bow has 3 mods installed; dye, polymer string and ergo grip (now 4 with the rad remover mod). It does 50 damage.

Currently 10/10 in perception, though at that time it was probably lower, like maybe 8. And as for headshot, well since I'm a lousy shot, I don't bother. I can get a sneak headshot in sometimes, but after that I aim for the head but hit just about everywhere else :miserable: I play on warrior. And the bow has 3 mods installed; dye, polymer string and ergo grip (now 4 with the rad remover mod). It does 50 damage.

Archery totally not dead at all ,rad removal and couple other mods make it no worse than any other method of z killing. In most cases its the fastest way to clear rooms other than an automatic.

Yeah. I use my compound bow versus rad wights and other rad zombies on Survivalist. Just gotta have mods and go for mostly headshots. Even with nightmare run speed (still too slow imo... more of "power-walking") you can get a lot of distance then fly a few arrows. On insane difficulty with no perks a compound bow with steel arrows takes about 45-50 headshots to kill a rad wight, add mods and perks I'm sure it's a lot less lol. Can't be too easy, otherwise it'll be stupid to use anything but a bow.

Indeed it does. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1577510268

(Default settings, no mods on the bow just level 5 versions of all the items we had already earned before a new experimental update required us to restart. Couldn't overcome the healing until my friend who died in the church ran all the way back to offer some supplementary DPS to bring the rad-zombie down.)

I mean, I use my compound bow frequently past day 40 on survivalist. I use it to pick zombies off then finish them with a sledgehammer. The only time I refuse to use a bow is when a rad cop is coming at me. I even can pop heads off of rad zombies with it *shrug* The only thing I can say would be a slightly faster reload with the compound, but I only have 3/5 in Archery.

I mean, I use my compound bow frequently past day 40 on survivalist. I use it to pick zombies off then finish them with a sledgehammer. The only time I refuse to use a bow is when a rad cop is coming at me. I even can pop heads off of rad zombies with it *shrug* The only thing I can say would be a slightly faster reload with the compound, but I only have 3/5 in Archery.

Is it just me or is that compound bow a little harder to aim with?

I modded in a regular bow with better stat's to replace the crappy Crossbow that isn't worth anyone's time anymore.

I prefer it over the compound.

Is it just me or is that compound bow a little harder to aim with?

I modded in a regular bow with better stat's to replace the crappy Crossbow that isn't worth anyone's time anymore.

I prefer it over the compound.

I think it''s a little different. Next time I play I'll pay attention to my aiming so I can have actual advice. Aiming has become a natural habit of mine due to life-long competitive shooter play. Kinda like one of those things where you try to explain an instinct =/ but I do whiff more than I used to. I tend to aim for the lower-neck at close-medium range, and top of the head at medium. Long range I think (again, I'll watch next time I play and come back with solid advice) I aim slightly to the right and right above the air above the head.

I don't find bows that bad actually, but radiateds pretty much require Archery..

5/5 Archery even applies a slow (cripple1), although the tooltip doesn't even hint at it

Boom! Headshot! 5/5 blesses all weapons with the proc, every sixth headshot being an instakill. Too random to rely on, but well effective with a bow.

Having both. I took down two z-bears in The Bear Den by bow, took about 4-5 Iron Arrows each. Didn't need to move, they died while they slowly waddled towards me.

I had to check, for 5/5 Archery gives this:

<triggered_effect trigger="onSelfDamagedOther" action="AddBuff" target="other" target_tags="walker" buff="buffInjuryCrippled1">

although, I wouldn't have thought bears are "walker"s? (But that's just too much TWD, lol)

You can make the first shot of a bow effective with Sneak Damage Multiplier, but after that...dont even bother using it. If your first shot doesnt kill, then just switch to something else. Its really disappointing.

The thing is if you have a hard time to target the heads, bow is useless against irradiated zombies. But it will be the same issue with guns, except you'll succeed by using a lot of ammo. The better solution : learn to target the head :) (or create a melee character). Headshots make a max of damages : keep calm, step back by aiming. There's no shame also to change the speed of the zombies from "sprint" to "run".

Lot of players use bow and are successfull with.

Sometimes it's better to question the way you play than a game mechanic. It's the best way to progress.

You can make the first shot of a bow effective with Sneak Damage Multiplier, but after that...dont even bother using it. If your first shot doesnt kill, then just switch to something else. Its really disappointing.

Afaik the rad-remover runs 90 secs. Depending on the green zed (some are harder, some are weaker) a few more headshots with arrows can give him the rest.

Archery in A17+ is totally dead by the time ferals become common enemies.

I play on an insane server and even with max perks/max damage I can't oneshot daylight ferals with arrows. They are more dangerous than greens because I often underestimate them.

I play on an insane server and even with max perks/max damage I can't oneshot daylight ferals with arrows. They are more dangerous than greens because I often underestimate them.

Yep :) It seems reasonable, however, that in "insane" difficulty the archery is quickly obsolete concerning high-level zombies. But, these levels of difficulty will disappear to leave room for adjustments on a case by case basis.

Yep :) It seems reasonable, however, that in "insane" difficulty the archery is quickly obsolete concerning high-level zombies. But, these levels of difficulty will disappear to leave room for adjustments on a case by case basis.

Obsolete? No. The situation is very different. In the beginning you find too few ammo for gunfights. And even the silenced pistol has a noise range of ~5. Indoor shooting leads very fast to a mess, so the bow is always the first choice while leveling.

Odd, I find the crossbow awesome and kill greens with it all the time.

4+ points in archery are.mandatory to fix the reload time, but with steel bolts and mods, its great.

You do need headshots though, I never aim anywhere else.

I also have that perk so reloading doesn't slow your movement.

I just switch to ak47 if I get a surprise horde of greens/ferals.

Archived