What Do Players Do at Night Now? A17

Z-Pooh-Bear

I usually dig a 3x3x1 and fill it with 8 wood frames and a hatch.

Upgrade everything and start digging down from the hatch. I initially use bales to go up and down and place wood frames above me to catch anything that might "drop in." This way I can also shoot them from below.

I eventually start adding ladders. As I get deeper, I start going back up and extend the walls of the entrance down.

If you enable DM in the console commands and hit esc you can just adjust the time to 4 a.m. and skip the night. It's what the wife and I do after our chores are done (crafting, sorting etc).

Might be easier than logging in and out multiple times.

And this isn't messing with your horde nights?

I know in A16 if you screwed around with the time you could upset Blood Moon spawning and they'd start showing at at two in the after noon or not at all.

If you're interested in mining at night then once you're 40 or so blocks below grade they won't sense you.

As Royal mentioned, clearing the area around you at dusk is pretty helpful if you prefer a peaceful night.

I'd recommend digging the first 20 blocks of the access shaft only after clearing around you. Oh, and 'pro tip', -don't- crouch digging the access shaft.

It doesn't seem to do much to hide you but it does really lower your hearing; so you're more likely to miss the noise of them breaking in above you. Once 40+ down, & at least 20 blocks horizontally away from base/hatch, then I crouch, just to save my ears.

And this isn't messing with your horde nights?

I know in A16 if you screwed around with the time you could upset Blood Moon spawning and they'd start showing at at two in the after noon or not at all.

For me that has worked like a charm the nights i've run out of ideas of what to do,

and it has not affected traders nor horde nights in A17.

If you're interested in mining at night then once you're 40 or so blocks below grade they won't sense you.

As Royal mentioned, clearing the area around you at dusk is pretty helpful if you prefer a peaceful night.

I'd recommend digging the first 20 blocks of the access shaft only after clearing around you. Oh, and 'pro tip', -don't- crouch digging the access shaft.

It doesn't seem to do much to hide you but it does really lower your hearing; so you're more likely to miss the noise of them breaking in above you. Once 40+ down, & at least 20 blocks horizontally away from base/hatch, then I crouch, just to save my ears.

+ Have enough ammo to kill a complete horde that stucks above you in your access shaft.

I usually start digging from day 2. Put the entrance behind cobblestone walls reachable from my base in the upper floor of a POI. Stop if I hear a zombie. Also often pause to make my stealth regenerate if I'm not deep enough. Also might even do some diggin by day to get to a safe underground level fast and at a time where I can handle a zombie digging to me.

Didn't have problems with this yet, but might have been just luck. I did get zombies once who didn't dig but tried to get in through the former door that was now a cobblestone wall. Not sure if I was in the mine at that moment though.

I'm willing to kick off a quest at night, but sometimes you'll get a tougher POI with a higher quest level that really should wait until morning to complete. If I've already started it, then I'll do my best to poke around gathering resources. Construction is probably the best thing to do if you have something lined up.

-Morloc

Archived