Lucky Looter broken?

Bhaaltazar

Lucky looter 3/5 yet I still get mostly lvl 1 and 2 quality loot, working stiff tools mostly gives me iron axes of mentioned levels and wood and such crap, gun crates lvl 1 hunting rifles and pistols of same level.

To this point I think i completely wasted these 3 points in lucky looter or RNG just doesn't like me this time around? ( day 12 only got 1 green pistone and purple SMG so far rest is just quality 1 and 2 - not to mention no steel tools, armors, nail guns etc... in numerous crates, safes and locked chests )

Or maybe this perk is broken - can anyone shed some light on this?

This one seems to be hit and miss so far [at least from my experience].

I've had two good games and two that were much like what you describe.

I'm betting this is one mechanic that's going to take awhile to balance.

I get a bad feeling this has far too much potential for balancing issues.

Maybe we just need a little patience and TFP will get it right eventually.

At least we know there are others questioning this mechanic.

It does seem a little "off" doesn't it?

I don't mind if I don't get all the best quality items all the time, ofc I like RNG.

But currently sitting at level 50 and I've been investing in Looter since day 1 in this play through, but as I said I keep getting junk from all the containers. Up until this level I should get s couple of good items, or at least some variety of mods or schematics at least. So so far my best items are actually what I can craft and few mods that I bought from trader, though I was thinking to completely skip on intelligence this time around to test some other "specializations" that i haven't tried before.

Keeping in mind it probably doubles from 0.5% to 1%

Its going to be really hard to post "feels " of this perk, since it only adjusts % chance of each tier, you're going to get runs of good and bad, and those anomalous streaks are going to be what sticks in everyone's mind.

I would like dev's to confirm what loot bonus applies to... does it affect item tier (steel vs iron, rebar frames vs wood, etc.)? Does it affect how likely bags are to have stuff (empty bags of garbage vs. Bags containing some items)? Number of different item types in a container? Quantity of a given item in a container (how MANY steel arrows in a reinforced chest)? Whether a given block is a lootable container or not (unlootable, open refrigerator vs loot container refrigerators) and if so, when that calculation is made?

Or is it just item quality?

Doubles from what to what? 1% to 2% isn't significant; 10%-20% is.

Maybe a level 1 character shouldn't be finding level 6 loot...

1 to 2% is fine at level 1....1 point of the perk adding say 5% at significantly higher levels is fine too. But if I can just invest in 1 perk point to make 1 out of every 5 items I find level 6, right on the first day, that's a problem

Looting crates should also increase the better loot chance higher the level and harder the dungeons. Nothing kills your mood more than after half and hour of fighting irradiated ferals and at the end you get 200 wood from a crate and dozen of nails :)

Still haven't gotten any nail guns or steel tools at level 60+ after loads of crates opened, same goes with gun crates hardly any mods in them also ( couple of serated blades ).

Loot seems to remain the same compared to first days looting ( quality 1 and 2 rarely lvl 3 ) doesn't mater how high is the Lucky looter perk or getting higher with levels.

Ah.... so basically we're just occasionally getting some bad RND rolls then huh?

I can see that.

I don't mind that actually, so long as I know the Perks are working as intended.

I also infer from what Gazz says is that at level 1, your chance of finding a T6 item doubles.. from zero to zerox2.

From what I've seen in loot probabilities, chance of finding higher quality items increases with gamestage. There are two main quality templates:

baseTemplate:

<qualitytemplate level="1,25" default_quality="1,2">

<loot quality="5,6" prob="0.0025"/>

<loot quality="3,4" prob="0.00625"/>

<loot quality="1,2" prob="1"/>

</qualitytemplate>

<qualitytemplate level="26,50" default_quality="1,2">

<loot quality="5,6" prob="0.005"/>

<loot quality="3,4" prob="0.0126"/>

</qualitytemplate>

etc.

etc.

and treasureTemplate:

<qualitytemplate level="1,25" default_quality="1,2">

<loot quality="5,6" prob="0.004"/>

<loot quality="3,4" prob="0.009"/>

</qualitytemplate>

<qualitytemplate level="26,50" default_quality="1,2">

<loot quality="5,6" prob="0.008"/>

<loot quality="3,4" prob="0.019"/>

</qualitytemplate>

etc.

etc.

These aren't direct percentages, if they work like the rest of the loot they're weighted tables so it's individual prob divided by total of all probs. But in this case it's pretty close. So yea, at level 1 a 2x increase for a Q6 item goes from ~0.25% to ~0.5% baseTemplate, and if it uses treasureTemplate it's ~0.4% to ~0.8%. Once you're up to gamestage 100 baseTemplate starts to increase ~0.5% every 50 levels. If you're at gamestage 201, going from ~2.5% to ~5% is certainly not insignificant.

Edit: Looks like Lucky Looter is just a direct addition to your loot gamestage. 50-250 level 1-5. So if I understand that right, at lvl 1 it puts you right into tier 3, 51-75 prob=0.0075 and is technically almost tripling your chance? Gamestage 100+ each point in the perk is increasing your chance about 0.5% for baseTemplate and 0.75% for treasureTemplate.

Maybe a level 1 character shouldn't be finding level 6 loot...

1 to 2% is fine at level 1....1 point of the perk adding say 5% at significantly higher levels is fine too. But if I can just invest in 1 perk point to make 1 out of every 5 items I find level 6, right on the first day, that's a problem

But level 10-20 crafting Tier5/6 is?

But level 10-20 crafting Tier5/6 is?

If you go that way, then this crafting is literally the only thing you are able to do, you can't use anything effectively, you're fragile and encumbred like a baby and completely incapable of surviving larger encounters or mining.

Archived