Any solution to build bunker ?

Guizmo

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone had a solution for a bunker base in which you could live, and make some heat without zombies coming to you.

I've tried to do it down to bedrock, under my bloodmoon base (which survived day 35 horde) and I still ended up having some wandering horde digging all the way to my base without me even noticing it (How can they smell my forge through 60m of solid rock and I can't even hear them before they are right above me by the way?)

I thought that making a full base on top of my head with 200 iron spikes would be enough, but it only ended up in them avoiding my traps and digging to me, ruining my map...

So if someone has a solution to build a bunker please tell me !

Can zombie dig in water? Maybe under a lake?

Can confirm they can dig down when in water.

To original question; I think someone mentioned that if you basically found a big mountain, went to the top then dug down to bedrock you could avoid detection, even from bm hordes. So I _guess_ there's a max range they can sense you.

What I've found is that, other than bm hordes, being 40+ blocks below ground is out of their 'normal' sensing range for Sight/Sound. No idea yet on Screamers detection range, my forges are at ground level.

Maybe Tip: been 'bunkering' forges, mixers. digging out a couple lvls below grade, place flagstone, then stations. 3 deep walls on 3 sides and poles in fourth to access through. Basically trying to keep z's from coming through that area so they won't smash stations.

Can confirm they can dig down when in water.

To original question; I think someone mentioned that if you basically found a big mountain, went to the top then dug down to bedrock you could avoid detection, even from bm hordes. So I _guess_ there's a max range they can sense you.

What I've found is that, other than bm hordes, being 40+ blocks below ground is out of their 'normal' sensing range for Sight/Sound. No idea yet on Screamers detection range, my forges are at ground level.

Maybe Tip: been 'bunkering' forges, mixers. digging out a couple lvls below grade, place flagstone, then stations. 3 deep walls on 3 sides and poles in fourth to access through. Basically trying to keep z's from coming through that area so they won't smash stations.

Oh man if you can find the guy of the mountain use, please notify me.

For me it's exactly the screamer that cause problem I think. My forge up the heat of the chunk, no matter how deep I am, and then the zombies start digging underground right through my forge.

I get you bunker thing, but I'm kind of a crazy builder so I build huuuuuuge luxurious bunker in the ground, so it's kinda hard to defend it that way ^^

I fear that I won't be able to do this kind of building anymore

Sry, it was early on after 1st experimental dropped, and in the crazy 3000+ pages dev thread :(

Yeah, I used to build a large crafting basement/bunker below my horde base in A16. Now I really have no idea what a 'solid' end-game base ~should~ look like. I'm pretty anti maze builds, though they certainly work. This playthrough I'm going to attempt a classic hill-top castle with sheer cliffs except for a -shallow- ramp up. From what I've gleaned from faatals posts on AI pathing that _may_ work.

For the ramp I'm thinking of placing the 2-piece ramp blocks, then a flat or two, repeat until height reached.

If I can reliably get them to path into one place then tripwire alarms, mid path or so, should give enough time to get into defensive position. But it's all just a grand idea atm, heh :)

You know about enabling debug mode in console (dm) then hitting F8 twice to see heat and chunk ids right?

In A16 I'd sometimes upgrade/convert my small 7x7 starter base into a crafting base. Build main base at least 2-3 chunks away to seperate heat, then dig a tunnel between them. That might still work? But guessing you'd need to, at minimum, heavily reinforce tunnel ends in case they got into it.

For now I'm trying to use up materials smelted into the forge as I go, rather than stockpiling in the forge. Just incase it gets smashed.

Anyway, :) sry I can't offer a solution, hope you'll let us know if you figure one out!

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone had a solution for a bunker base in which you could live, and make some heat without zombies coming to you.

I've tried to do it down to bedrock, under my bloodmoon base (which survived day 35 horde) and I still ended up having some wandering horde digging all the way to my base without me even noticing it (How can they smell my forge through 60m of solid rock and I can't even hear them before they are right above me by the way?)

I thought that making a full base on top of my head with 200 iron spikes would be enough, but it only ended up in them avoiding my traps and digging to me, ruining my map...

So if someone has a solution to build a bunker please tell me !

Although I hate labyrinths, a conveyer systems has been working for me so far - (zombies actually got stupider / more predictable). If you build a 5x5x5 cube then a door on top, using the cube as the floor, Build a ramp up to the door and leave the last block open. The Zombies will run up the ramp, try to jump the block and fail, fall down and run back up again.

on horde night you can even stand in the doorway and bash them as they fall. You can make the levels above wider and build up to make more room. Zombies will aim for the door and fall down.

Maybe luck, but my last save I built an underground workshop (under horde defense), 4 forges running 24/7 and no problem at all. Workshop was 56 meters underground.

I started a new save and I'll try the same strategy again. Perhaps zombies need to be "right on top" of forges to start digging down. Not sure how you built horde defense I had a sea of spikes so they never reached such precisely position.

Maybe luck, but my last save I built an underground workshop (under horde defense), 4 forges running 24/7 and no problem at all. Workshop was 56 meters underground.

I started a new save and I'll try the same strategy again. Perhaps zombies need to be "right on top" of forges to start digging down. Not sure how you built horde defense I had a sea of spikes so they never reached such precisely position.

First, I thought that it was because i wanted to build big bunkers and zombies dig right to the forge.

But when I saw the damage they did, the only dig a corridor, so even with 200 spikes on the ground, they only destroy something like 20 spikes, then dig underground, and the rest of the spikes were useless.

I may be doing something wrong but right now I can't get why I keep getting screamers and they keep detecting me

I tested a [small] bunker with a maze trap above me three floors high.

It works.

Ridiculous amount of time to make and more resources than I thought it take would be yeah it works.

You still need to maintain the maze so it's quite large in comparison to your bunker because of access hallways and such.

Not really sure that's why you're looking for.

My final conclusion was that it's simply easier to build above ground with something similar.

Way less time to make and you can convert an existing building to save on resources.

I tested a [small] bunker with a maze trap above me three floors high.

It works.

Ridiculous amount of time to make and more resources than I thought it take would be yeah it works.

You still need to maintain the maze so it's quite large in comparison to your bunker because of access hallways and such.

Not really sure that's why you're looking for.

My final conclusion was that it's simply easier to build above ground with something similar.

Way less time to make and you can convert an existing building to save on resources.

Then you're doing it wrong Lucky :D :D <kidding!> check this from bug thread (holding my head)

Workable carousel in a17!!! Dev's, please, do something!!!

The cheese is real people! :)

Edit: forgot to ask but could you post a screenie if you get a chance? Always interested to see what folks come up with :)

Then you're doing it wrong Lucky :D :D <kidding!> check this from bug thread (holding my head)

The cheese is real people! :)

Edit: forgot to ask but could you post a screenie if you get a chance? Always interested to see what folks come up with :)

Yeah I'm going to make a decent one in creative and take some proper pics.

Just found out my daughter is pregnant so... kinda not playing at the moment.

[Why does her boyfriend have to be such an idiot????]

Anyway, in the New year I'll get something out and a few other ideas I've been thinking about.

[in between ways to hide a dead body.]

Also:

This Video is hysterical!!!!

HA!

Loving it!

Yeah I'm going to make a decent one in creative and take some proper pics.

Just found out my daughter is pregnant so... kinda not playing at the moment.

[Why does her boyfriend have to be such an idiot????]

Anyway, in the New year I'll get something out and a few other ideas I've been thinking about.

[in between ways to hide a dead body.]

ouch. sorry to hear that. :( Too bad the good ole days are gone where you could just take him to the wharf, get him drunk and tip a bosun to have him pressganged onto a ship bound for the east indies :)

Edit: to the vid being funny: yeah it is :) , but I feel bad for faatal.. I'm sure he can make a fix for those builds, but who knows if it will be too expensive to implement? Hopefully not. But at least we have vids for posterity :D

ouch. sorry to hear that. :( Too bad the good ole days are gone where you could just take him to the wharf, get him drunk and tip a bosun to have him pressganged onto a ship bound for the east indies :)

It's worth a try.

I do live by the ocean and have a few friends who fish.

4jzZPXL.gif

Yes... yes..... this could be a good Christmas after all.

I have found that the best base design that works for me is a simple wall around my base. It used to be the forge house, but now with the new update, ANY poi you live in can become better with a wall. This has worked past the day 35 42 blood moon hordes on sp.

Every time you do a mission for the trader, spend some of that money on concrete mix and rebar frames. patch the structure wall with that, and make the outer wall with cobblestone. on horde night fill the entrance with one level of spikes and you are set.

If you do not trust the houses, look for an industrial concrete building like the laundry mat or the cell tower to build a wall on or live in a ruined building.

Now the super kicker: if you have a cement mixer, make the small concrete plates. put one on the outside and the inside of your walls. You now have a three block thick concrete wall, but with almost all the space. It will take a long time to breach your base, so make sure you are in a good spot to shoot them when they try.

I have found with the new trader selection in 211 that i do not need the forge. I have learned to live without the forge.

As for bunkers: i still build them, but not so much for bunker purposes but for subway purposes. The stone ax is viable to dig down to bedrock in a week, and you do gain a good amount of xp when you do that. I use a lot of concrete, so i need a lot of stone. subways are amazing now, especially if you make them big enough for a bike, you can hit several traders in the morning before 12:00 if you dig them right, no worries about bears or hordes.

my current approach for a hybrid base

FB744B7665BB838B2D0C0A6EF0D05AC2AC908BF5

entry is only through the platform

the basement is a L shape corridor along the inpenetrable soil of the trader

Here the part under the base (end of the corridor in that pic is the entry)

A225E129EC6566160BEBF16756E6D702A9B8B79E

Forges and co behind the trader a bit away

841602A4BB50E7E29EA2D9800096DF573D48A6C1

The hope is that if zombies try to dig they try it for 50% on trader area

Until now no problems, but its only the 7th day and i play on easy until now

It seems you just want to build? Why not just turn off the zombies if that's the case?

I believe that the original poster enjoyed the year plus of alpha sixteen. I put a little over fifteen hundred hours into that alpha alone and was a big fan of being able to make large bases and defend them from zombies.

But now with zombies having Terminator like intelligence and gps, coupled with Wolverine's claws being able to shred steel in seconds, it seems that large builds are being discouraged.

Also you can't do bunkers since zeds dig underground and always gps to you, and you can't use explosives to mine, because Alfred Nobel had a terrible idea that totally did not influence mining for the next one hundred sixty years (just kidding, Alfred Nobel invented dynamite and its use in mining) or dig nearly as much out, surely not a large cavern since structural integrity seems to be different from alpha sixteen...

I suppose it would simply be frustrating to be someone who purchased the game, played a thousand days on a server with friends, and then discover that the entire flavor of the game has changed from survival building game to hack-n-slash to fps with mild building elements.

I started in fifteen. From fifteen to sixteen was not a big change, we just got extra things. This alpha has added extra, taken away, and completely changed some things. I personally think this alpha will be great after the pimps figure out their plan with it, get it balanced, moved to stable, and let the modders change things around to suit the desires of the customers. I've put around two hundred hours into it and it seems mostly fine to me, or will be after it gets balanced, but I understand where Guizmo is coming from.

I believe that the original poster enjoyed the year plus of alpha sixteen. I put a little over fifteen hundred hours into that alpha alone and was a big fan of being able to make large bases and defend them from zombies.

But now with zombies having Terminator like intelligence and gps, coupled with Wolverine's claws being able to shred steel in seconds, it seems that large builds are being discouraged.

Also you can't do bunkers since zeds dig underground and always gps to you, and you can't use explosives to mine, because Alfred Nobel had a terrible idea that totally did not influence mining for the next one hundred sixty years (just kidding, Alfred Nobel invented dynamite and its use in mining) or dig nearly as much out, surely not a large cavern since structural integrity seems to be different from alpha sixteen...

I suppose it would simply be frustrating to be someone who purchased the game, played a thousand days on a server with friends, and then discover that the entire flavor of the game has changed from survival building game to hack-n-slash to fps with mild building elements.

I started in fifteen. From fifteen to sixteen was not a big change, we just got extra things. This alpha has added extra, taken away, and completely changed some things. I personally think this alpha will be great after the pimps figure out their plan with it, get it balanced, moved to stable, and let the modders change things around to suit the desires of the customers. I've put around two hundred hours into it and it seems mostly fine to me, or will be after it gets balanced, but I understand where Guizmo is coming from.

To make quiet bunker we just need the detection system to work better, and be more logical. This way we won't agro zombies through 60m of rocks.

But yeah hopefully they'll regive building the place it deserves

Archived