Return of Action Skills - perks that level-as-you-use them (Test Release)

Deceptive Pastry

Yes this is so much better in 7d2d as what you do, its raise that particular skill.

A18 went into class base RPG style which i dont see anything about survival in the skill perk.

In A19 or further update i wish TFP can re-ramp skill system into "No level" or "No skill points" system while only using action progress bar to increase the skills level bar instead of pumping skillpoints.

Edited by iicecube (see edit history)

It should mostly work as-is. Just needs editing for new items, changed item names, etc

Can confirm! Changing the necessary item names, removing the magazine entries, and fixing some progression perk names got it all working on my end! Fantastic and a big thank you! I'm surprised this modlet isn't a bigger deal. Any updates on adding cardio or any other LBD skills?

It's not my mod... soooo...

I mean, I can look into it. :) I have athletics working. Barter doesn't work though because the triggered effects I need to use don't exist.

I had scavenging working but it had issues on servers in A17. Not sure if that is still the case in A18.

It's not my mod... soooo...

I mean, I can look into it. :) I have athletics working. Barter doesn't work though because the triggered effects I need to use don't exist.

I had scavenging working but it had issues on servers in A17. Not sure if that is still the case in A18.

Don’t know how I missed that 😂

Athletics really is the one I was hoping would be brought back, next to crafting, but the latter might be asking for too much?

I have a small private server for some friends, I can definitely test that out if it’s helpful at all.

Ah. Sorry I disappeared so abruptly. I kind of got fed up with not being able to do some of the things I wanted to with this mod and the general direction the game was going. Just out of nowhere lost interest and dropped the game one day. Saw A18 came out and was curious about the current state of the game. After playing for a couple hours I still can't say I'm too happy with the direction... If the mod were more popular I may consider working on it more but glad to hear it only needs a couple tweaks to continue working in A18.

If someone else wants to take over this mod, feel free. Frankly I've just lost most of my interest in this game. It only continues drifting further from the amazing game that was A16.4 and I realized I was spending almost all of my time modding it to make it better rather than actually playing it.

Ah. Sorry I disappeared so abruptly. I kind of got fed up with not being able to do some of the things I wanted to with this mod and the general direction the game was going. Just out of nowhere lost interest and dropped the game one day. Saw A18 came out and was curious about the current state of the game. After playing for a couple hours I still can't say I'm too happy with the direction... If the mod were more popular I may consider working on it more but glad to hear it only needs a couple tweaks to continue working in A18.

If someone else wants to take over this mod, feel free. Frankly I've just lost most of my interest in this game. It only continues drifting further from the amazing game that was A16.4 and I realized I was spending almost all of my time modding it to make it better rather than actually playing it.

I use this as a baseline for Ravenhearst, so first thing I did was get it working. I have a working version for vanilla experimental b6. If you like i can toss a link in here, and with permission a link in my modlets section as well?

I think a few of us feel like that, tbh.

A18 is definitely better than A17... but I still firmly believe A16 had the better skill system base.

After playing A18 for a few hours (Nitrogen + combopack is great, at least), it has taken a few steps back in the right direction. But then I start reading the forums again and see some of the comments from madmole as far as thoughts on things like deformable terrain and what they want the game to be, and I just don't see it becoming the game I was expecting it to be. I'll probably check it out again if it ever makes it to beta/release, but so far I just can't get into it like I was before.

As for the skill system, the friend who originally introduced me to this game and who I primarily played with has stated that he has no interest getting back into it unless they bring back learn-by-doing. So yea...lol

I use this as a baseline for Ravenhearst, so first thing I did was get it working. I have a working version for vanilla experimental b6. If you like i can toss a link in here, and with permission a link in my modlets section as well?

Whatever you wanna do is fine.

unfortunately this is one of the topics MM has a questionable stance on. I don't want to sound an ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ but massive people saying they love LBD and MM being like those companies "you dont want that". A17 had a long discussion around this.

The game improved in a some aspects yeah but taking away exactly what worked well is dumb as f, even more when it looks like its done just for the sake of "I decide this and ♥♥♥♥ everyone else, you are not obligated to play it"

he will never admit this was a wrong decision and its not even that he doesnt know that

unfortunately this is one of the topics MM has a questionable stance on. I don't want to sound an ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ but massive people saying they love LBD and MM being like those companies "you dont want that". A17 had a long discussion around this.

The game improved in a some aspects yeah but taking away exactly what worked well is dumb as f, even more when it looks like its done just for the sake of "I decide this and ♥♥♥♥ everyone else, you are not obligated to play it"

he will never admit this was a wrong decision and its not even that he doesnt know that

Agreed. LBD is extremely satisfying and immersive. Why TFP moved away from this, I don't get.

I'm just suuuuper stoked that these modders brought back some of the LBD to A18. Been playing this weekend and man is it such a more fun experience with them. Just need some Athletics for the finishing touch ;)

Thanks to you guys working on these mods and fixing Vanilla for us <3

Great work in bringing Action Skills back...I missed them. Couple questions though:

EDIT----TL/DR: So I guess I answered pretty much all of my questions after playing around in the XMLs and really looking at the tree. My bad for the confusion.

1. The only items i've seen upgraded are Mining Tools and Blunt Weapons. I mean...I use those a lot...but I haven't seen Archery go up at all...and I use it almost every single time I fight a Z. Usually hit them with the bow and then finish them with a club. I looked in the XML (I have very limited experience in this) and saw that it was onSelfAttackedOther is when it triggered (as well as onSelfKilledOther---I get that) so does this mean that misses as well as hits trigger or only hits (if I'm mistaken...forgive)?

Edit to #1 (kept it there for clarity):

Ok...I see the progression numbers for each tool/weapon and I think I understand why I may not have seen any movement on Archery. Seems I only get 6 XP for a hit with a primitive bow whereas I get 10 with a wood club. My OP here but I think I'll adjust some numbers here to have them more balanced. Not asking you to or anything like that because you all did the heavy lifting in making this and us folks can tweak what we like.

2. I looked at the Action Skill Tree and I thought you're weren't supposed to be able to upgrade individual lines by using a skill point. Because I can upgrade Blades, Archery, Guns...like everything EXCEPT: Mining Tools and Blunt. I accidentally added a skill point to Archery because I'm the kinda person who pushes buttons just to see what happens. Tooltips come on for that and everything except Mining and Blunt.

Edit to #2: (kept again for clarity)

Looked again the the tree. Found out that you CAN purchase the first level in the Action Skills but everything else is locked.

Great work though...really appreciate you guys updating this mod.

Edited by Kawil (see edit history)

• 2 months later...

Thanks for all the hard work Deceptive+Jax. Absolutely loved learn by doing, part of the Triforce of Progression.

I wrote a small compatibility patch to add support for War3zuk AIO weapons to Jax's version, figured I'd offer it up here. None of the xp values are balanced individually, most are copied from the base weapons most comparable.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1j1Oho6SOs61Lb_IsqXTx6i8iBSYOJTC3

Also asked Sirillion to help offer compatibility for Action Skills, and he says it'll be in next patch. :)

Yeah, I noticed it was included in Ravenhearst but there is a bug with it and since he's currently not working on mods, understandably, I hope it continues to be developed further.

I do appreciate the link.

• 2 weeks later...

just downloaded this, is this working as intended? https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/677715446706733066/678690112720076800/unknown.png

it says im 5/100 but when the side bar showing locked icons? and it seems like im only doing 30 points in block damage, even though i leveled up 2 times

EDIT: I decided to just put a point and see the difference, but nothing improved, its still doing 30 damage to the block and im already 8/10 in levels https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/677715446706733066/678694246999392267/unknown.png

Edited by Supersour (see edit history)

• 7 months later...

How do i show the level increase on the right side of the screen?
I have been trying with thing like:
<triggered_effect trigger="onSelfHarvestBlock"  name="ProgressionLevel" progression_name="perkASMiningTools" action="SetProgressionLevel" operation="add" value="1"/> or other things.
However it doesn't seem to increase it? I thought I had a script that did at one point.

Can you make it so the level increase on the right side of the screen?

Even if you put code here? I am not that familiar with XML, I am more akin to C+ and VB .

Picture for example: Im at level 2 but only shows Level 1 on the right side to be purchased. I did this up to level 4. Only level 1 can be bought and all others are locked? I know the skill is working because my block damage increased. 

ADDED: I found that "<triggered_effect trigger="onSelfHarvestBlock" action="SetProgressionLevel" progression_name="perkASMiningTools" level="1"/>" will increase 1 level but nothing I do makes it increase beyond level 1. I tried "operation="add" value="1"", "operation="base+add" value="1"", and  value="AS_MiningTools_Lvl"" which I thought would work. 

Mining.png

Edited by Meatwad107 (see edit history)

• 5 months later...