xml edits to stop sleeper respawn

Feycat

[This is a repost because my other thread got moved from General so it didn't have a helpful title]

My guys and I are trying to play a no-respawn game. No respawning loot, no respawning zombies. The only respawning is of quest POIs (and boy is THAT weird to watch!) and of course, constant zombie assaults from screamers and wandering hordes. Now that the map is finite and zombies don't drop loot, it feels more realistic and challenging to do it that way.

However, we still get sleeper respawns.

I tried setting it to 999 days in the xml but they've still come back. Does setting it with 3 digits screw it up? If I do something like 99, will that work?

So I tried to change the spawning.xml and I thought I found the value needed: <property name="DaysToRespawnIfPlayerLeft" value="5" /> <!-- in game days -->

Changing this unfortunately did nothing :( I kicked it up to 20 days and they always respawned at 5 days. Changing gamestages.xml doesn't make too much sense, since this only determines what is spawned. I was unable to find anything on when.

I am definitely curious to see if this is doable, because I would like this in my game. Clear out a house and it will stay cleared out indefinitely sound more immersive than re-spawning sleepers....

• 3 months later...

Me too. Being able to clear pois and also towns are a end game dream of mine.

I was thinking of placing a block that has the same function as bedroll.

Maybe a door!?

Sure the humans become zombies inside the house and if you leave it open zombies will eventually walk in there and sleep. But if you build a door the poi should be safe!

Yeah, since the game recognizes if a house is sealed up for weather, it would be nice if you could hook sleeper spawning to that and disable spawning if the house is all closed up. Or tie it to a quest for the poi. Clear it out and one of the rewards could be to disable spawning so you can settle the poi. Maybe the reward could change all the blocks to player blocks. That might disable the spawning. No matter what, it would likely require sdx

Creating an item/block would allow people to walk into the door on ground level of multi-level POIs and make any further spawning not happen. Unless TFP fixes the "DaysToRespawnIfPlayerLeft" parameter, i don't see a solution any time soon.

Remember also that sleepers spawn from sleeper volumes, so they are not strictly tied to any blocks. Making all POI blocks player made doesn't change anything. I have seen POIs glitch, partly not placed or even fully not placed (no blocks), yet sleepers spawning as they normally. There were also people who tried filling sleeper volume blocks with player made blocks, but Zs still spawned.

Archived