Is alpha 17 hardcore, unbalanced or boring ?

nickdaska

what i am hearing here is a noob that doesnt know how to play video games ...

Better dont know how to play video games as not knowing how to act social and the inability to understand threads.

Maybe one day you will no longer be a noob at the social part of your life.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ontopic

The nice is that all i perceive as issues we can easy mod in a other direction

(As example it was much much much more problematic to make Zombies dig in A16)

An other thing is that I have to wait for 0,5 seconds or so that the stone axe hit the target again. Why

would you do that ? Let me get this straight, you had to made a repeatedly task more time consuming and that its supposedly make the game hardcore and not boring, realy ?

I get why this was changed. The stone axe is supposed to be super poopy and TFP want to encourage the player to upgrade as soon as possible. In A16 I found the stone axe was viable even late in the game, I tended to use it even at max level as it broke down barriers & did repairs adequately and just needed ta single stone to repair it.

But I agree that it feels really horrible to use now. Maybe increase the swing speed at the cost of damage? I could probably live with that a bit better. What do peeps think?

A16 was a good game, but I guess I hoped for longevity in the form of difficult challenges....I dunno, maybe bandit hideouts where the further away from 0,0 you got, the more powerful weapons they would use and the better loot you could get. Or the more powerful and mutated the zombies would become. I feel like instead the game is in a perpetual state of receiving graphical updates to keep up with the current year, as well as level gating existing content, and introducing old bugs.

In other words I don't see them moving forward, I see them rolling the dice over and over, reinventing themselves instead of building on what they had, while breaking and changing things that weren't broken or didn't need to be changed, but ultimately not making much progress. Imagine if they stuck with the A13 or even A12 foundation, fixed the bugs, and focused only on new content and challenges.

Maybe we can wait another 1.5 and see "Hey, get ready for A18, we rolled the dice again and changed the mechanics, get ready to do the same things but in a different way, you get a diabetes debuff when you drink a jar of honey, btw the game is only $4.99 this time."

While it is a bit overtoned, I wholeheartedly agree with this. Content-wise, A17 is very far from what I expected. I don't dislike early game being slower, but besides the new dungeon POIs, I don't really see what new "end game" challenge there is. Like you, I was really hoping for bandits, and not "make zombies hit harder so you need to build differently".

The thing Im hoping will happen in gold is that the issues that affect gameplay style will all be changeable in the options page. Eg. Zombies dig - Zombie Block Damage % - Zombie Aggro Range etc.

In the end the devs will just end up sending us the unity package so that we can change every value, compile it ourselves and play :p

The answer to the title is all 3. It depends on your playstyle and settings. The thing Im hoping will happen in gold is that the issues that affect gameplay style will all be changeable in the options page. Eg. Zombies dig - Zombie Block Damage % - Zombie Aggro Range etc.

That way we can tailor the world to our particular game style - underground bases - run and gun - Fortress bases - stealth nomad - etc.

A17 only lets you have one playstyle. What ever the levelgate decides.

A16-Bookstore, mini bike, auger, and game is 75% done by day 5. Everything else was just exploring and creative building. Zombies were dumb (borderline annoying) and poi's were fairly easy. A17 is still early so I am hopeful for tweaks. The worst thing in 17 is not doing anything. The main culprit is stamina and food consumption which are a pita. Moving around the map is horrible.. especially with the smaller random gen towns and the carrying capacity. A bicycle at 5 or 10 would add so much along with some tweaking to food/stamina consumption. Before it was bookstore bookstore bookstore. Now it's kill as many mobs as possible to get to iron and mobility with as little farming as possible. The plus side is pois are interesting dungeon crawls and the zombies really have it out for you. I think the vultures are a great addition as well. Got to stay on your toes!! It's still early so hopefully it improves to a balance. If not, F1, DM, bicycle. Life is a lot better with just some mobility.

I get why this was changed. The stone axe is supposed to be super poopy and TFP want to encourage the player to upgrade as soon as possible. In A16 I found the stone axe was viable even late in the game, I tended to use it even at max level as it broke down barriers & did repairs adequately and just needed ta single stone to repair it.

But I agree that it feels really horrible to use now. Maybe increase the swing speed at the cost of damage? I could probably live with that a bit better. What do peeps think?

I think if they want people to stop using the stone axe in late game they need to enable upgrading via the other axe variants. The only time I carry a hammer is when i loot one and take it back to my base to live in a box until I need to do a bunch of upgrading. If they want the player to stop using 1 tool that does 3 jobs(Harvesting wood, destroying wood, upgrading) then they need to give us a better 3 job tool. The hammer is a joke, and the nailgun is just a waste of an inventory slot.

A17 only lets you have one playstyle. What ever the levelgate decides.

More and more people are discovering that this isn't true as they put more time into A17. I too would be happy without level gates but there is still a lot of different playstyles and pathways one can take within them. Even with the perk system you can pick two primary perks and only spend points in those two. The next time you play pick two others and only spend points in those. Your two games will be distinctly different. I've gone underground, nomad, overland base, and upgraded POI in different games and had success in all of them. If you can only play one playstyle you aren't looking very hard.

WTF, you ever upgraded 10 000 Blocks from Flagstone to Reinforced Concrete ?

I was talking about daily carry gear. The hammer and nailgun just live in a box at my base waiting for that 1 time I might need to use it. But, when I am out and about looting/exploring and I need to seal up a hole in a wall with some frames, I am not busting out a nailgun or hammer, it's always the stone axe in my #2 slot.

I cant agree with that statement. The only issue is that ppl still play A17 like A16 and thats the problem. When you start approach to A17 as a "new" game you will fint out that A17 is easy...just to learn use proper skill and perks. Now you are able be lvl 50 in day 7 without problem. Default setting 90 min day and you can do this.

"Try use your club and smash those zombies into head. Just 2 power hits and they are dead. Loot only food and water, thats not hard too. Just quickly run from poi to another and thats it. Zombies didnt act same as A16 so you can go closer and hit them. They will not hit you back for miles away like in A16...Just try to adapt and learn a new way."

Ofc some features need tweak a bit, for example dogs and silent killers from behind, but game is fine and better in overall point of view

The emphasis in the above quote is the problem. The game is now about running from one poi to another to bash zombies with a club. Or with stone arrows.

Caveman Simulator 2018.

- - - Updated - - -

what i am hearing here is a noob that doesnt know how to play video games min ma, i only hear i cheated stats and only on day 6 and i dont know the full scope of whats gonna happen so therefore i got bored so i made this whole useless essay on the forums without any knowledge on how the game is played, btw not a hardcore player btw.. so whats the point in making the post?

The game isn't for only hardcore players, and you are acting like a ♥♥♥♥.

frustrating becus u lack skill and knowledge and wenting on forums without diciplining yourself.. lol it isnt hard but ♥♥♥♥ ME LET ME MAKE THIS POST! xD

My friend let me get this strait, Just because same people luck skills (witch you don't now but assume so) you believe they must shut up, not complain about it because you like the game that way. I never said is hard, i only said why do i have to deal with this type o zombies in the first days that's all (aka the game is unbalance) now about why i rote before day 7 you do have a point but i clearly stayed i got bored !

------Update------

Oh also the game isn't fun if you must struggle to survive before you even know your surroundings!

Happy to quote from the Developer Discussions. In my opinion it's mainly boring.

If you ask me the game has become nothing but simpler. Far simpler. And to my taste too simple.

I feel like the production economics got reduced, the efforts to maintain a good production is reduced, it plays like an action zombie shooter in slow motion but with unreal tournament elements like jumping perks.

Progression as is is the easiest way to have progression - bound to nothing but levels, levels bound to almost nothing but zombies (okay its much less effort to level through animals if you find them). The variety in different recipies and crafting queues is lower as i feel. The variety in items is far lower.

Honestly, the game is too simple for me right now. It doesn't excite me at all and I'm hoping the next build indicates a direction back to that. But I fear on the way out of alpha - a simple game is what they need right now. And probably a simple game is the easiest way to focus on bugfixing and end this development once and for all.

Yep, gikon sums it up pretty nicely. Everyting got dumbed down and the focus went to killing. Another shooter. Like we need that.

This game could combine different types of gamers easily on one server. That vibe is gone now.

Try playing A17 and not just reading random salty posts because people have to change playstyles.

The melee combat system is, in my opinion, tremendously better. I barely even use range because melee is so much better. Ignore the lies, there's still crafting in A17... Yeah, you cant get cement by day 3 and a full cement fortress with steel tools by day 7, sorry :( I know that ruins the fun for some people by having to play the game, but it is what it is.

A17 is harder, but not hardcore. More beneficial to play with a group? Absolutely! And i'd rather get more XP from killing zombies than with mining. Mining XP in A16 was game breaking. Think i read that zombie XP is getting lowered but everythign else is going up? which is brillant if thats the case

Try playing A17 and not just reading random salty posts because people have to change playstyles.

The melee combat system is, in my opinion, tremendously better. I barely even use range because melee is so much better. Ignore the lies, there's still crafting in A17... Yeah, you cant get cement by day 3 and a full cement fortress with steel tools by day 7, sorry :( I know that ruins the fun for some people by having to play the game, but it is what it is.

A17 is harder, but not hardcore. More beneficial to play with a group? Absolutely! And i'd rather get more XP from killing zombies than with mining. Mining XP in A16 was game breaking. Think i read that zombie XP is getting lowered but everythign else is going up? which is brillant if thats the case

Not only is there crafting in A17 but there is crafting xp in A17. There was zero crafting xp in A16 but now it is back again. Why doesn't anyone bring this up? Because it isn't the optimal path to leveling so they don't care. All anyone cares about who focus on speed leveling is the optimal path.

All the crying about losing crafting xp in the final months of A15 and then in the first couple months of A16 and now we have it back in A17 and zero threads discussing it because it doesn't represent the most efficient method so who cares about it....

I rather have more mining XP and no crafting XP at all. I find it dumb to get xp for something that i can do afk.

Also people might just fear it get´s taken away again, i first thought it was a bug that i got XP for crafting.

Also not efficent? Standing still and getting XP for single click is not efficent? I think you are way wrong with your assuming why people act like that.

Not only is there crafting in A17 but there is crafting xp in A17. There was zero crafting xp in A16 but now it is back again. Why doesn't anyone bring this up? Because it isn't the optimal path to leveling so they don't care. All anyone cares about who focus on speed leveling is the optimal path.

All the crying about losing crafting xp in the final months of A15 and then in the first couple months of A16 and now we have it back in A17 and zero threads discussing it because it doesn't represent the most efficient method so who cares about it....

Roland, again, very unfortunate to start quoting a yay-sayer in this thread.

Also, there is a slight but significant difference - crafting xp in A15 was primarily focused on improving the skill to craft that very thing - like ammo for gun smithing, tools for tool smithing. Now you get a number. Your crafting of tools improves - well i need better perception right now. So the crafting xp is in no way related to what you are actually doing.

And let me tell you - i appreciated when spam-crafting was eliminated. It is more about those skills you eliminated that made actual sense WITHOUT severely damaging the performance of the game as spam crafting did.

Furthermore, let me tell you that your generalisation of "they" is just what you hate so much about "us" when "we" post. I have seen an item in A17 which says "ModYouReFired". I'm starting to sincerely hope that's an indication.

Well, I can definitely say alpha 17 is hardcore. I'm on day 8 and finding POI's full of feral zombies. but, I do gotta say I'm loving this alpha so far. nothing like having your heart racing when 12 ferals are chasing you down.

Exactly, I love the feeling of barely getting out alive after having runners hot on my tail.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, because playing caveman Vs zombies is boring.

What I do works well. Bow and arrow/melee, and when there is a crowd, gun them down. Not all caveman.

Roland, again, very unfortunate to start quoting a yay-sayer in this thread.

What was I saying yay!! about?

Also, there is a slight but significant difference - crafting xp in A15 was primarily focused on improving the skill to craft that very thing - like ammo for gun smithing, tools for tool smithing. Now you get a number. Your crafting of tools improves - well i need better perception right now. So the crafting xp is in no way related to what you are actually doing.

I guarantee you that people did not make 500 stone axes to get better at stone axes. I guarantee you that people used the experience AND the skill progression they earned from making stone axes in order to improve in areas unrelated to crafting stone axes. There's no need to ignore what was blatantly exploited. Pretending that crafting xp in A15 was primarily focused on improving skills in that thing lends you no credence. You find me one person who switched to crafting dozens of fireaxes to start improving their fireaxe crafting skill instead of just sticking to stone axes and then find me one other person who didn't use the points earned from leveling up thanks to crafting stone axes to improve perks in unrelated areas and one other person who didn't do all of that during the first week of playing so they wouldn't have to start playing the game for real before skipping over all the early game content and I'll show you a schizophrenic dude with multiple personalities-- because there ain't three people like that out there that utilized crafting xp as a means to progress in a natural and truly learning by doing manner.

And let me tell you - i appreciated when spam-crafting was eliminated. It is more about those skills you eliminated that made actual sense WITHOUT severely damaging the performance of the game as spam crafting did.

And I will appreciate when zombie xp gets reduced so that it no longer becomes the blatant high road to progression's end. The automatic skill gaining mechanic was never one I had an issue with myself. I don't miss it but if it was still in the game I would be fine with it too.

Furthermore, let me tell you that your generalisation of "they" is just what you hate so much about "us" when "we" post.

Well, I'm not sure why you felt to include yourself with the them I'm talking about. You said you were glad that spam crafting was removed so obviously you don't fit the profile of whom I was talking about. In fact, I'm not sure why you were even triggered by my post at all. I simply said that all those people who were upset about the loss of crafting xp aren't posting at all about how glad they are that it is finally back again. In my opinion it is because for speed leveling it is a non-factor this time around. That isn't a generalized "they"...not even in the context of "they who are unhappy with A17". I didn't even go there at all. You did that by calling me a yay-sayer as in, I suppose, you thought I was speaking in favor of A17 and against those who don't like it. Nope. At this point you are just looking for things in my posts to feel negative about. I wonder why?

I have seen an item in A17 which says "ModYouReFired". I'm starting to sincerely hope that's an indication.

Oh...THATS why.... Nice.

Archived