A17 experimental - What the hell, is with this difficulty?

postalcrazy616

Seems to be the game's difficulty has gone to the realms of damn insane. Day 2, wandering amongst the wilderness, picking up cotton and such, then. Out of nowhere comes a pack of 5 rabid dogs, with no way of fighting back, I get insta killed with no fair way of fighting them off, and I guess the game has a sick sense of humour and just doesn't want me to enjoy it anymore, so it beautifully disposes of my bed, so upon respawn, all my backpack items drop despawned, I get spawned into a random location due to the bed missing. At that point, Alt+F4 was the only solution.

=Seriously though, the difficult is just stupidly off in this "build". Day 2 rabid pack of dogs, and aswell as that I gave it another shot afterwards and even though running was turned off, a horde of 10 running military zombies on day 3, at that point I just hit uninstall and said "Yup, that's enough of that".

They came from a house roof. Didn't make much noise and was sneaking around. All of a sudden. A hellstorm of running soldiers came from the roof and that was it.

Some of POIS contain higher stage zombies guarding better loot. The devs are currently working on balancing the difficulty of zombies in POIs. The dogs are part of the 7dtd experience. There used to be dog hordes two days before horde night in earlier versions.

Not sure if a bug or not but dogs and wolves have a very short leash now and they stop chasing within seconds. Makes it very easy to pick them off one by one. Of course it can happen that you don't see them in time but situational awareness is key in survival games.

Dog packs from day 2 are in the game way before a17. Its just bad luck

Dont underestimate running for your life, it happened to me as well a few games ago (done 3 wipes and 1 MP game since release) all i had to defend myself was a club and a pistol and i escaped, when they get bored of chasing you (wich is fairly easy to do with just sprinting away) i started killing them with the bow and a few pistol shots, well placed head shots got them.

Not sure if a bug or not but dogs and wolves have a very short leash now and they stop chasing within seconds. Makes it very easy to pick them off one by one. Of course it can happen that you don't see them in time but situational awareness is key in survival games.

It really isn't that hard to get away if you are paying attention.

If you feel that you must kill every enemy that sees you, the problem lies not with the game. ;)

The animals are easy to avoid getting hit by, just keep walking backwards, and they'll swing and hit the air in front of you usually. At least this is what i've notice with them. I kill dogs and wolves with a club or sledgehammer a lot.

This below also was a fun scare early game for me in my most recent game. Felt that spawn lag spike so stopped and looked around to see that train coming right for me. needless to say once 4 am hit, I went and killed them all, was quite delicious exp delivered right to me.

123393365_7DaysToDie2018-11-2520-42-41.thumb.jpg.1b750ec90bca7db70bf3d847ecac9f1f.jpg

The point is: "it can't be fun if you can't even be aware it coming" like I said, no sound ques, so really there was jack all I could do to defend myself, by the time I got the first bite, 4 others came and insta-death.

There is usually a lag spike for a second or 2 whenever there is a big spawn, if you notice the game studder suddendly look around because there is a good chance a wandering horde was just spawned. Thats how I been avoiding getting killed by alot of them especally at night. I think the whole gamestage system needs a look over, as a doggo horde on day 2 is something most players just can't deal with because they lack the tools.

My 2 cents: Game stage is broken or TFP just got tired of people claiming the game was easy so they are making a point.

I do not like the fact that Zs don't make any noise when they are behind you, it plays and feels like a game cheat. Zs should make noise at least a high percentage of the time. If you want to have "sneaky Zs" in the game make it a random percentage of the Zs when spawned.

Bears and Dire Wolves on day one... really? It is not necessary and of course makes a game where there is no wilderness progression.

Dog hordes day 1, by themselves maybe ok. But, when you add in the higher hits per kill in A17, the inablility to run backwards at speed, and the quicker stamina loss in A17 (and a few other changes that make nerd poling and spikes on the belt less likely) the sum total is again a poor experience, especially for the casual gamer which makes up 50%+ of the public who purchased the game.

They came from a house roof. Didn't make much noise and was sneaking around. All of a sudden. A hellstorm of running soldiers came from the roof and that was it.

Once you get the hang of A17 it won't be as bad.

I'm expected vultures to fly out of everything when I step into any POI in the wilderness.

Learned the hard way to do that. =(

You'll get it. Soon it wil be a piece of cake for you.

If you feel that you must kill every enemy that sees you, the problem lies not with the game. ;)

The problem is getting the dog pack in the first week. Numerous of reasons for that is mainly based on stamina and alert.

1. In previous alphas when you was spotted by dogs/zombies you would get sensed/hunted indicator if crouched.

2. In previous alphas you had better stamina, and could run longer (Early alpha the dogs didn't stop hunting you, but that got fixed.)

3. The terrain is better in A17 and therfore its harder to see far away.

Sure you need to pay attention and that works fine for normal hordes! You will hear them, you have time to react and you can out walk them.

But first week if you are focused on restoring a POI, your main focus will be gathering resources, hence most of the time your stamina will be almost depleted. (The grind is real in this experimental)

In my case I was digging for clay using my old rutine:

Always stop at 20% stamina so i can run if i get overrun

Always have a look around when my stamina is regenerating

Never dig down so far that i cant jump up. (Also digging just the first layer is the only way to get xp from digging in this AE)

Now somewhere between 100 and 20% I hear a loud BARK! Reflexes from many hours of older Alphas kicks in and i jump up and do a 180. Before I hit the ground my screen is blurry and filled with blood stains.

I launch my club against the blurry brown mass turn around and starts running zig-zacking between trees. My stamina is out after just a few meters, i quickly bandage my self, throws away a few more hits with the club.

Two dogs are down, some how the other two are disoriented and are walking around i circles just 10m from me (bug?). I lay them down with my bow.

The last one just disappeared, no body no traces (bug?)

So yes you have to pay attention but paying more attention than what i am doing is basically not playing.

I would suggest, let dogs howl a few meters away (at least 20-30m) so you have a fighting chance.

Remove them from spawning list on first week.

Give player an adrenaline boost to 75% stamina if you get hit, of course not stack able.

Aha, finally some actual info! So, now we know - killing every enemy that see you is bad, running away now and then is good. *That's* what I did wrong. I wish you guys just published a list of Do's and Don'ts. Not killing zombies in a game where most exp comes from zombie kills is a bit counterintuitive.

I really have to latch on to this Gazz. But if we don't, we won't have the level to access the next perk ;)

Archived