The Devils Eden

Tin

Welcome to:

The Devils Eden.

(aka How The Dying Lands should have been).

DL LINK -->The Devil's Eden March 24th 2018

**Available on the Mod Launcher now :)**

This Mod was put together based on the other Mod(s) "The Dying Lands" along with the "Body Parts" edition along with many many thing's that have been changed (underneath mostly).

Quick run down on how I would place this compared to The Dying Lands.

This Is a better balanced mod concerning Entity Spawn. It's less demanding but can be made more demanding depending on your play style. So you have some control on how much you want to be pushed in the game.

The biggest Highlights:

• Ghouls attack Zeds and Animals, Zeds attack Ghouls and Animals, they all will attack you! (well some animals won't.. some!)
  • Ghouls are the normal Spawns in the biomes.
  • Zeds are the normal spawns in Pois.
  • Hostile animals spawn in all Biomes.
  • Timid Animals are mostly around Water and rare in other areas. Which means the Zeds and Ghouls are more in the water areas as well, along with the hostile Animals.

• Noise is the Killer. The sound system has been redone.
  • Zeds can attract other zeds if allowed to continue to be noisy.
  • The Player(s) actions have consequences, More noise, more zeds will likely spawn. You decided on how often by your actions. Use a gun expect zeds to come a calling eventually. Making a fort? Yeah that's noisy as well. Chopping down a tree? Busting a rock? Running? Going through a house and looting it? All alone in the dead of the night and the only sounds is you opening your storage containers? yep! more noise more of a chance to call zeds into your area. Allowing zeds or other entities to roam around your fort at night? yep they can make noise as well.

• All Canned Goods have a chance to lower your wellness.
  • Towns/Cities have a chance to have multiple stores (both big and small) along with the strip stores.
  • All Towns/Cities the streets are over grown.
  • Main Roads are 2Track Roads (bonus: the center strip is clay)
  • Yes! you'll still need to harvest the bodies to get items from them. This was done to get more entities on the screen without losing performance. So sorry if it's just not your type of thing.. Maybe A17 this will change (here's for hoping!)
  • Zeds can die through dismemberment or with a lot of damage but I built in a safety catch as well, so no more needing extreme amounts of ammo to kill a zed (eg: 12 shots to the head type o thing).

• Plus a whole lot of other things..

Special Note: The rwgmixer will not change along with the terrain gen or biome gen but other things will. Come A17 All my mods will no longer be supported since everything is changing it appears (unless you choose to down grade and stay in A16.x that is).

What this means is:

When A17 drops I'll be taking time to play the game fully. Plus getting familiar with all the new changes that will be happening concerning what we can or cannot do concerning modding it. A lot of the things I have done in A16 will need (most likely) radical changes and will take some time to convert it over to A17 in some form or another but most likely better.

As always: I will not be adding the compo pack to this. It just has too many clean buildings and I want to keep this world looking dark and run down. If you want to add other mods to this have fun! Play how you want to Play.

I won't support the BBG mod or other UI mods. If it does get added! Then thank Sphereii but you'll need to use the mod launcher to get it. ;)

I like other mods as well but with everything that is probably going to get changed in A17.. yeah..

So here's something different to help ease the wait till A17.. Enjoy!

Tips and things to keep in mind.

I can't stress enough is "don't try to play this like it's a vanilla game" even in vanilla you character is pretty strong but not really in this one. You need to grow into being a zed slayer

Sometimes you need spikes: Spikes are very very effective in killing them quickly and or crippling them. Spikes are cheap to make but deal good damage.

Sometimes you just need to run away or lead them to other enemy types or Animals. Run around and group them together. They flail their arms often and damage each other, let them beat up each other a bit. Then finish them using less ammo or energy.

Make kill zones at your fort. Filter them into a smaller area so they accidentally kill each other.

Another thing I can say for certain (if on default) is: That If the zeds doesn't drop with 4 head shots from a bow (with stone arrows and little to no skills accumulated) then you didn't get 4 head shots but hit some other hit box (body/upper arm [L/R]).

List of Updates:

***Update March20th 2018 (for both the Launcher and direct DL in OP***

Adjusted the bows damage slightly. Max you should be able to kill a zed in the beginning is with 4 shots if not sooner if the head pops. If they don't die? Then you didn't get some head shots in.

Change entityclasses.xml

Hooker/Stripper/Cheerleader/Soldier/Spider are the only entities that can climb walls.

Reasoning:

Hooker/Strippers - The good ones are very athletic, pole dancers and whatnot

Cheerleaders are used to climbing as well in their past lives.

Soldiers - Yep nuff said.

Spider zeds - Yeah that's normal for this game.

Shouldn't require a restart.

***Update March 22nd 2018***

Tweaked Gamestages.xml Lowered zed populations down in Pois a touch.

Tweaked sounds.xml to allow for more time before zeds can get spawned in the wilds.

For both the launcher and DD in the OP

***Update (part2) March 22 2018***

Another quick pass over the sounds.xml cut many sounds in half that build heat.

Both Launcher and DD updates ty for your patience.

***Update March 23rd 2018***

Tweaked body damage to zeds.

No restart required.

***Update 2 ***

Fixed a few things and some spawning issues.

Ghouls spawn less often.

Zombies that can be spawned in the wilds through activity are reduced a touch (should be no more than 5 max per trigger event)

... This should be it for awhile.

Again shouldn't require a full restart (as in a new world) just a log out of the game/server then restart.

Starter Seed: "Plague"

Towns and Cities galore!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24175[/ATTACH]

Tin! Where's my stores!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24176[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]24177[/ATTACH]

;) loot away!

Each pic is a Town/city shot.

First 2 I came upon from spawn.

The playable size of the World that is generated is "18,900".

Oh man, just when I thought I might get a break to play some other games... :(

Well, hello new World, be nice to me!!!!

Looking forward to another Tin playthrough. Dying Lands was a fun experience earlier this year... I'm guessing this will be another immersive experience.

Awesome.. and sorry at the same time?! about you putting other games on hold xD.

Just a small warning.

I still need to do a poi spawn pass and a BloodMoon horde pass. Right now it's like The Dying Lands in that aspect but you should be good! ;)

Good day Tin

You have been busy I see .. and some of this I see came from Dying Lands .. Good job

I'm going to upload it .. but have 1 question .. Do head shot count ?? LOL .. you know I like my head shots.

Have Fun and Enjoy ... the Old Gamer .. :02.47-tranquillity:

**Just want to say first: This Mod was developed using the default settings. So If your settings are higher this can change your results.**

Yep, head shots count. Does this mean every head shot will dismember the head and kill the zed in one shot? No, It's just does more damage against them and also increases the likelihood of dismemberment.

For instance: (A player just starting out with little to no skills)

A low quality 9mm: Will take 4 shots to the head (max) to kill a zed but usually 2 will dismember it and kill it.

A low quality club: Can take up to 6 head shots (Full Stamina) to kill a zed but usually 3-4 will dismember it.

Using a magnum: 2 head shots to kill a zed but 50/50 1 shot will blow it's head off.

Body part dismemberment in general is also increased as well along with the head. Sometimes it's prudent to take their legs out if they're runners, before you go in for the kill.

And just remember: loud noises = more zeds are likely going to show up at some point ;)

So sometimes it's better to be quite so you don't disturb the hornets nest.

This is a very "Actions have Consequences" type of Mod. Like going into a poi and clearing it out and then going through and looting it.. you may just find some zeds wandering in to see whats all the fuss about. :evil:

I spent a lot of time testing and re testing this out, but if your settings are higher this will change the results.

**Just want to say first: This Mod was developed using the default settings. So If your settings are higher this can change your results.**

Yep, head shots count. Does this mean every head shot will dismember the head and kill the zed in one shot? No, It's just does more damage against them and also increases the likelihood of dismemberment.

For instance: (A player just starting out with little to no skills)

A low quality 9mm: Will take 4 shots to the head (max) to kill a zed but usually 2 will dismember it and kill it.

A low quality club: Can take up to 6 head shots (Full Stamina) to kill a zed but usually 3-4 will dismember it.

Using a magnum: 2 head shots to kill a zed but 50/50 1 shot will blow it's head off.

Body part dismemberment in general is also increased as well along with the head. Sometimes it's prudent to take their legs out if they're runners, before you go in for the kill.

And just remember: loud noises = more zeds are likely going to show up at some point ;)

So sometimes it's better to be quite so you don't disturb the hornets nest.

This is a very "Actions have Consequences" type of Mod. Like going into a poi and clearing it out and then going through and looting it.. you may just find some zeds wandering in to see whats all the fuss about. :evil:

I spent a lot of time testing and re testing this out, but if your settings are higher this will change the results.

Well, first try was expected trouble... forgot about those Wolf liars in the big boulders. Was kiting 4 ghouls with my lvl25 bow, I backed into a Wolf liar, and was bounced. Dead is dead... so world over.

Started again this morning before work... survived to 18:00 so far, and cleared out a wilderness forge house (with a working forge). Just on the outskirts of what looks like a good-sized town. So, I'm happy so far.

Obviously, I agree with Tin's assessment of Zed/Ghoul damage. I'd like to think I'm a pretty good shot... and get a lot of (what appear to be) head shots with my bow... and it still takes a LOT of hits to get the kill.

What I will say is that a good strategy is to try to kite a group and "round 'em up" into a small horde. Seems they will do damage to each other through their flailing. I saw at least 2 Zeds go down without a shot... after getting hit by a swing from one of their own buddies. Very nice!!!

Well, first try was expected trouble... forgot about those Wolf liars in the big boulders. Was kiting 4 ghouls with my lvl25 bow, I backed into a Wolf liar, and was bounced. Dead is dead... so world over.

Started again this morning before work... survived to 18:00 so far, and cleared out a wilderness forge house (with a working forge). Just on the outskirts of what looks like a good-sized town. So, I'm happy so far.

Obviously, I agree with Tin's assessment of Zed/Ghoul damage. I'd like to think I'm a pretty good shot... and get a lot of (what appear to be) head shots with my bow... and it still takes a LOT of hits to get the kill.

What I will say is that a good strategy is to try to kite a group and "round 'em up" into a small horde. Seems they will do damage to each other through their flailing. I saw at least 2 Zeds go down without a shot... after getting hit by a swing from one of their own buddies. Very nice!!!

:) Funny thing with the head hit box.

With how often my zeds move their heads, the upper arm, and body, hit boxes tend to overlap often (this especially happens when you are at a slightly lower elevation then they are), so what you'd think is a head shot, sometimes isn't. I have many times thought I got a head shot and actually blew one of their arms off with the sniper/ak/mag etc,. when I tested it out. It becomes more apparent with the bow/crossbow (less with the crossbow) since they have and actual arc.

and yep! the zeds don't care what they hit when agitated and will accidentally kill each other. This is why they also will eventually destroy blocks on the ground, if the player is below them. In a lot of Pois 'IF' the zeds know you're above them, they will destroy their ceiling/ your floor ;)

IF you all still think it's a bit too much with the bow I can tweak it, I just don't want to make it overly easy at the lower levels. so please let me know.

Hi Tin

Ok on settings .. I lowered my to " Warrior " this time and yes they are hard to kill. I usually play on "Survivor"

My biggest issue is the zeds coming straight up a wall .. not just spiders .. but more than they should be able to, not sure if that is something to do with Vanilla or not ... is there a way to tweak them so not almost (spiders are OK) all can climb walls .. Ghouls Don't .. thank goodness.

Anyway .. that is the only issue I have and all is good ............... Maybe a Lockpick would be nice .. LOL

Hi Tin

Ok on settings .. I lowered my to " Warrior " this time and yes they are hard to kill. I usually play on "Survivor"

My biggest issue is the zeds coming straight up a wall .. not just spiders .. but more than they should be able to, not sure if that is something to do with Vanilla or not ... is there a way to tweak them so not almost (spiders are OK) all can climb walls .. Ghouls Don't .. thank goodness.

Anyway .. that is the only issue I have and all is good ............... Maybe a Lockpick would be nice .. LOL

I'll look and adjust the entities as to which can or cannot climb walls and have less of them be able to.

The lock pick I'm probably not going to touch.. A17 changes.

I'll adjust the bow to apply a touch more damage, but probably not the clubs since as time goes on they'll be op when you get more skilled and better qualities of them.

I'll make the changes in the next couple of days if time permits. :)

Thanks for the feedback!

Oooh oooh oooh! New mod :)

After a short break for Subnautica (had been prolonging playing it after the release and finally decided to go the game again) it's time to go back to killing zeds :) Surely this will be a grand adventure, as before. Time to install...

EDIT: It seems the Mod Launcher doesn't download the mod properly... tried all three The Devil's Eden with download from steam, but nothing shows any changes to the game. No Ghouls, starter quests update (still see looking for trader at the end), better RWG (i think with the amount of water present looks more like seas is a bit much for this mod) and no gathering items from corpses with fists/shiv/knife.

Downloaded and put the files in the new folder for the game (Mod Launcher option to make different folders for different mods). Works fine.

***Update March20th 2018 (for both the Launcher and direct DL in OP***

Adjusted the bows damage slightly. Max you should be able to kill a zed in the beginning is with 4 shots if not sooner if the head pops. If they don't die? Then you didn't get some head shots in.

Change entityclasses.xml

Hooker/Stripper/Cheerleader/Soldier/Spider are the only entities that can climb walls.

Reasoning:

Hooker/Strippers - The good ones are very athletic, pole dancers and whatnot ;)

Cheerleaders are used to climbing as well in their past lives.

Soldiers - Yep nuff said.

Spider zeds - Yeah that's normal for this game.

Shouldn't require a restart.

Oooh oooh oooh! New mod :)

After a short break for Subnautica (had been prolonging playing it after the release and finally decided to go the game again) it's time to go back to killing zeds :) Surely this will be a grand adventure, as before. Time to install...

EDIT: It seems the Mod Launcher doesn't download the mod properly... tried all three The Devil's Eden with download from steam, but nothing shows any changes to the game. No Ghouls, starter quests update (still see looking for trader at the end), better RWG (i think with the amount of water present looks more like seas is a bit much for this mod) and no gathering items from corpses with fists/shiv/knife.

Downloaded and put the files in the new folder for the game (Mod Launcher option to make different folders for different mods). Works fine.

A lil confused. Did you get it working fine in the end?

Do you use win7? If so I think sphereii did some witch craft to fix win7 issues. Might want to contact him if so.

Edit: if you did end up getting it to work hope you enjoy :)

I think i made it more confusing than it was worth it...

At first i simply downloaded the mod through Mod Loader with getting the client through steam (not folder copy). This resulted in not having the mod and tested it on all 3 versions. Went into the game and roamed a bit to verify that also.

As the Mod Loader created a separate folder for the modded game, i manually downloaded the zip file, unpacked and copied to that folder (in Data where it belongs). I had to check off mod updates and it still showed me a message like it wasn't installed (most likely file check failed seeing some files that shouldn't be there). Would have to check today with strictly using Mod Loader without manual deployment after your update.

The quickest way to check it out is to open Editing Tools when in game and see how much water you have on some map. When the mod "clicked in", the map was more like TDL than vanilla with seas all around heh (at least the seed i chose).

Amazing work yet again Tin !

Thanks!

I think i made it more confusing than it was worth it...

At first i simply downloaded the mod through Mod Loader with getting the client through steam (not folder copy). This resulted in not having the mod and tested it on all 3 versions. Went into the game and roamed a bit to verify that also.

As the Mod Loader created a separate folder for the modded game, i manually downloaded the zip file, unpacked and copied to that folder (in Data where it belongs). I had to check off mod updates and it still showed me a message like it wasn't installed (most likely file check failed seeing some files that shouldn't be there). Would have to check today with strictly using Mod Loader without manual deployment after your update.

The quickest way to check it out is to open Editing Tools when in game and see how much water you have on some map. When the mod "clicked in", the map was more like TDL than vanilla with seas all around heh (at least the seed i chose).

Ah, Gotcha.

Morning Tin

Just a Thought ... I had NO Issues with Mod Launcher .. I truly think " Khulkhuum " did something wrong when down loading or didn't have a copy of the ( 7d2d Vanilla ) in his Steam folder.

Great Mod and Thank you on reply ... the Old Gamer .. :02.47-tranquillity:

I downloaded the game from Steam directly, not copying the folder from the disk ;) Already had such problems in the past and now each time i pick out a new mod i let the few minutes download the whole game. Maybe there was some connection problems and the mod didn't download? Maybe i should try playing from a game folder copy, not steam... I'll check it out more today or tomorrow.

As far as i played the mod (which wasn't long so far), it's quite interesting. I guess i have to get used to zombies not leaving me alone for long. This in a manner of:

1. One zombie spawning somewhere to follow me, which spawns one or two more - all in an open space, fair distance from any buildings, during day time.

2. Killing all of them, where along the way more zombies spawn. Using shiv, then bow, but wanting to conserve arrows i go to club.

3. Finally killing the rest that were around to see one more zombie a fair distance walking towards me.

4. Running off to the nearby town i wanted to go. Raiding the first appropriate building i found to get more zombies spawning and killing them.

5. Night comes swiftly and zombies knock on my walls and doors (maybe i did make some noise...), so i kill the few of them to see some other walking towards me in the distance.

Didn't die once and i have almost full health. I do like going to the city from the start (dunno if i shouldn't) and i do engage practically everything that wants to kill me... :)

The reason i play TDL and now TDE is zombies seeing you from a good distance (although it could be a wee bit smaller) and hearing you roaming around. Still waiting for TFP to get that working in vanilla.

I downloaded the game from Steam directly, not copying the folder from the disk ;) Already had such problems in the past and now each time i pick out a new mod i let the few minutes download the whole game. Maybe there was some connection problems and the mod didn't download? Maybe i should try playing from a game folder copy, not steam... I'll check it out more today or tomorrow.

As far as i played the mod (which wasn't long so far), it's quite interesting. I guess i have to get used to zombies not leaving me alone for long. This in a manner of:

1. One zombie spawning somewhere to follow me, which spawns one or two more - all in an open space, fair distance from any buildings, during day time.

2. Killing all of them, where along the way more zombies spawn. Using shiv, then bow, but wanting to conserve arrows i go to club.

3. Finally killing the rest that were around to see one more zombie a fair distance walking towards me.

4. Running off to the nearby town i wanted to go. Raiding the first appropriate building i found to get more zombies spawning and killing them.

5. Night comes swiftly and zombies knock on my walls and doors (maybe i did make some noise...), so i kill the few of them to see some other walking towards me in the distance.

Didn't die once and i have almost full health. I do like going to the city from the start (dunno if i shouldn't) and i do engage practically everything that wants to kill me... :)

The reason i play TDL and now TDE is zombies seeing you from a good distance (although it could be a wee bit smaller) and hearing you roaming around. Still waiting for TFP to get that working in vanilla.

I'm slowly tweaking the distance of zeds being able to see from so far off since I got it working that they will path to the players sound now. The biggest thing I need to dial in a touch better is the zed spawning out in the open. Still a bit overly frequent atm for my liking but not bad either.. just could be a touch better.

When I drop this next update (some time) it won't require a restart either. :)

Archived