PC Specs

andrewcu

Hey everyone, i just recently started playing the game on console. After seeing all the new updates that 17 will be getting though i really want to try and transition over to PC eventually. Ive never played a PC game though so im not sure what specs are needed to run certain games. I did see a thread on here somewhere mentioning PC specs that are needed and recommended for this game and i know i need at least one upgrade to run smother, my RAM. As of right now i only have 1 8GB Stick of RAM, and recommended for this game is 16. My PC specs are below, can someone tell me how i match up? I also know my GPU is on the lower side but i still dont know how it would handle the game. It's hooked up to my TV, much easier than buying a separate monitor.... not sure if that makes a difference

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 32-bit (10.0, Build 16299) (16299.rs3_release.170928-1534)

System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

Processor: AMD FX-8320 Eight-Core Processor (8 CPUs), ~3.5GHz

Memory: 8192MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 3054MB RAM

Page File: 2741MB used, 3385MB available

DirectX Version: DirectX 12

Card name: AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series

Display Memory: 3317 MB

Dedicated Memory: 2037 MB

Shared Memory: 1280 MB

Current Mode: 1776 x 1000 (32 bit) (59Hz)

8GB is not enough if you are using Windows 10. Memory is cheap, you really need another 8GB for serious performance. If anything dips into the swap file, performance will go down the toilet. Buy some more memory.

I had the 4GHz 8 core FX, and it was great, a real workhorse. I now have the Ryzen 7 with 16 virtual cores, but I don't really notice any performance differences. I would say your cpu is more than enough for 7D2D.

Your biggest bottleneck is that video card. Fork out a few bucks for an nVidia 1050 or 1060, it makes a HUGE difference. It's playable with an ATI 6900 series, but barely. When I had an nVidia 660, which is more-or-less comparable to the 6970-ish, it ran OK but you have to turn down the eye candy. If you have a lower end 6900 series, you won't be happy with it.

8GB is not enough if you are using Windows 10. Memory is cheap, you really need another 8GB for serious performance. If anything dips into the swap file, performance will go down the toilet. Buy some more memory.

I had the 4GHz 8 core FX, and it was great, a real workhorse. I now have the Ryzen 7 with 16 virtual cores, but I don't really notice any performance differences. I would say your cpu is more than enough for 7D2D.

Your biggest bottleneck is that video card. Fork out a few bucks for an nVidia 1050 or 1060, it makes a HUGE difference. It's playable with an ATI 6900 series, but barely. When I had an nVidia 660, which is more-or-less comparable to the 6970-ish, it ran OK but you have to turn down the eye candy. If you have a lower end 6900 series, you won't be happy with it.

I got the video card as refurbished deal a few years ago for a steal. I have never played a PC game so i bought it more or less just to have one. What do you consider cheap for the RAM? Ive built at least half a dozen PC's and every time the RAM is rough;y $80-$100 per 8GB stick..... that and another ~$200 for a GPU is not that cheap lol. I know i need upgrades though so itll be something i do when i have a few extra hundreds to throw around

If you can manage it, I'd suggest going back to the superior Windows 7 to save on ram. 8GB of ram is minimum and should run ok for a while, but you might notice problems as you play when the ram runs out, could be minor and barely noticeable, or it could be a crash. Running the game on lower settings could help reduce ram related problems too.

As for your graphics card, according to google, there is no card specifically called Radeon HD 6900, but there is a series of 69xx cards. Depending where you got that GPU info, you might have generic Microsoft drivers for it which could greatly impede on GPU performance. My suggestion would be to go to AMD drivers website and get their latest non-beta drivers for it so you can find out if you have the 6950, 6970 or 6990. And yes, it definitely is on the lower end of the spectrum, but it should be capable of medium graphics settings for this game.

If you can manage it, I'd suggest going back to the superior Windows 7 to save on ram. 8GB of ram is minimum and should run ok for a while, but you might notice problems as you play when the ram runs out, could be minor and barely noticeable, or it could be a crash. Running the game on lower settings could help reduce ram related problems too.

As for your graphics card, according to google, there is no card specifically called Radeon HD 6900, but there is a series of 69xx cards. Depending where you got that GPU info, you might have generic Microsoft drivers for it which could greatly impede on GPU performance. My suggestion would be to go to AMD drivers website and get their latest non-beta drivers for it so you can find out if you have the 6950, 6970 or 6990. And yes, it definitely is on the lower end of the spectrum, but it should be capable of medium graphics settings for this game.

I pulled this straight from my computer, i pulled it this morning and already forgot the name of the program i used to grab the info ha. Iva had the PC for a few years and this card was part of the original build so i know its old and needs to be upgraded, as it was a refurb item. Once im ready ill just get a new GPU and another stick of 8GB RAM. I really dont feel like reverting back to Windows 7 honestly

FYI, you don't need some third party app to gather system info. Instructions here are based on Windows 7, so it might be slightly different for Windows 10. Just go to "Start", "Run" type "dxdiag", and most of the info will be in there. Alternatively, you can go into system properties (right click on "My Computer", Properties) and see a lot of it there too.

Be careful when buying new ram, make sure it's is compatible. For instance, you more than likely have DDR3 ram support so you wouldn't want to buy DDR4 ram. Also, your current DDR3 ram stick(s) might not be compatible with the new one you buy as the latency / frequency more than likely won't match which in turn will create a lot of system instability. It's almost always safest to just replace the old with new.

Same goes for GPU, make sure your PSU has adequate power for the new graphics card. Although I suspect that if it can run an HD 6900 series graphics card, then you might not have any issues with PSU.

FYI, you don't need some third party app to gather system info. Instructions here are based on Windows 7, so it might be slightly different for Windows 10. Just go to "Start", "Run" type "dxdiag", and most of the info will be in there. Alternatively, you can go into system properties (right click on "My Computer", Properties) and see a lot of it there too.

Be careful when buying new ram, make sure it's is compatible. For instance, you more than likely have DDR3 ram support so you wouldn't want to buy DDR4 ram. Also, your current DDR3 ram stick(s) might not be compatible with the new one you buy as the latency / frequency more than likely won't match which in turn will create a lot of system instability. It's almost always safest to just replace the old with new.

Same goes for GPU, make sure your PSU has adequate power for the new graphics card. Although I suspect that if it can run an HD 6900 series graphics card, then you might not have any issues with PSU.

Im pretty familiar with hardware compatibility when buying new parts, ive built at least half a dozen towers. My RAM is DDR3 and i have a modular PSU so i should be all set whenever i decide to grab a new card and RAM. Thank you though

Im pretty familiar with hardware compatibility when buying new parts, ive built at least half a dozen towers. My RAM is DDR3 and i have a modular PSU so i should be all set whenever i decide to grab a new card and RAM. Thank you though

For the record, modular has nothing at all to do with it, and DDR3 isn't the only noteworthy info you need to make it work with existing ram. Just saying.

First thing you should do is upgrade to a 64bit OS so you can use more than 3GB of ram.

OMFG, I didn't even see that! Nice catch. lol

Hey everyone, i just recently started playing the game on console. After seeing all the new updates that 17 will be getting though i really want to try and transition over to PC eventually. Ive never played a PC game though so im not sure what specs are needed to run certain games. I did see a thread on here somewhere mentioning PC specs that are needed and recommended for this game and i know i need at least one upgrade to run smother, my RAM. As of right now i only have 1 8GB Stick of RAM, and recommended for this game is 16. My PC specs are below, can someone tell me how i match up? I also know my GPU is on the lower side but i still dont know how it would handle the game. It's hooked up to my TV, much easier than buying a separate monitor.... not sure if that makes a difference

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 32-bit (10.0, Build 16299) (16299.rs3_release.170928-1534)

System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

Processor: AMD FX-8320 Eight-Core Processor (8 CPUs), ~3.5GHz

Memory: 8192MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 3054MB RAM

Page File: 2741MB used, 3385MB available

DirectX Version: DirectX 12

Card name: AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series

Display Memory: 3317 MB

Dedicated Memory: 2037 MB

Shared Memory: 1280 MB

Current Mode: 1776 x 1000 (32 bit) (59Hz)

Hello!

As others noted - you'll need a 64bit OS, wither that's Windows 7 or Windows 10 that's up to you. Ideally you would like your OS on one drive, your page file on another and the game on yet another. Yes - I know not everyone can do that and that's why I said "Ideally." After you get your OS straightened out you should be able to play the Vanilla game. Albeit running any Mods maybe problematic and frustrating at the least. Increasing your ram to 16GB would help greatly especially if you want to run some Mods. Make sure you update all drivers though. Hopefully you can find your cables for the PSU for your new graphics card.

You'll almost have to bump RAM to 16Gb as soon as you go to the 64-bit OS, but that's got to be your first update. There's just no way to really adjust RAM usage.

Graphics card can be second priority since you can adjust video settings in the game quite a bit to compensate.

Also make sure you aren't running anything else that isn't absolutely necessary, and that game updates don't run while you play (easy to set in Steam, but remember that Origins, BattleNet, UPlay, etc. don't talk to each other and might be updating while you're playing.) Chrome is a memory hog, too, especially if you have a bunch of tabs open.

Personally, my approach on upgrading my PC has been to do GPU, disk, CPU+RAM+Motherboard in a three year cycle to spread out the cost, but I haven't really needed to do any upgrades in a couple of years.

Hello!

As others noted - you'll need a 64bit OS, wither that's Windows 7 or Windows 10 that's up to you. Ideally you would like your OS on one drive, your page file on another and the game on yet another. Yes - I know not everyone can do that and that's why I said "Ideally." After you get your OS straightened out you should be able to play the Vanilla game. Albeit running any Mods maybe problematic and frustrating at the least. Increasing your ram to 16GB would help greatly especially if you want to run some Mods. Make sure you update all drivers though. Hopefully you can find your cables for the PSU for your new graphics card.

I do have a dedicated SSD for my Operating system. Everything else is on a 7200 RPM 2TB HDD. I didnt even know having a 32 bit OS would make a difference, so i will have to look in to how to swap it to the 64 bit. That will probably be first, second being RAM and third being the GPU

Thank you everyone for the suggestions!

You'll almost have to bump RAM to 16Gb as soon as you go to the 64-bit OS, but that's got to be your first update. There's just no way to really adjust RAM usage.

Graphics card can be second priority since you can adjust video settings in the game quite a bit to compensate.

Also make sure you aren't running anything else that isn't absolutely necessary, and that game updates don't run while you play (easy to set in Steam, but remember that Origins, BattleNet, UPlay, etc. don't talk to each other and might be updating while you're playing.) Chrome is a memory hog, too, especially if you have a bunch of tabs open.

Personally, my approach on upgrading my PC has been to do GPU, disk, CPU+RAM+Motherboard in a three year cycle to spread out the cost, but I haven't really needed to do any upgrades in a couple of years.

Whenever i do build my towers, i try to buy components that i know wont need to be upgraded for a while. Honestly, i dont typically keep one for more than a year after i build it as i usually just sell them to build a new one. So like i buy a Motherboard that is compatible with the latest CPU chipset and has several RAM and accessory slots in hopes that i would be able to upgrade when the time comes if needed without having to swap almost everything. As far as chrome. i used to love using that over IE but recently chrome has been running INSANELY SLOW on my computer. So i might be dumping it anyways

As far as chrome. i used to love using that over IE but recently chrome has been running INSANELY SLOW on my computer. So i might be dumping it anyways

That's just because of the 32bit OS. With the OS using 2+GB of ram by itself and anything else you have in the background using up ram, it leaves Chrome with very little amount of ram which creates a lot of lag.

Remember tho, when getting a new GPU, make sure theres enough amps on the 12v supplies from the PSU, wattage isnt everything

Umm... The voltage stays the same in a PSU, and Watts = Volts * Amps. With that said, your post makes no sense since it doesn't matter if you pay attention to the amps or watts because they both give the exact same results. Unless you're referring to multiple 12 volt rails which divides the total wattage in which case you're better off just saying stick with the superior single 12 volt rail design.

What are you smoking? RAM has been expensive for the last few years. I've kept an eye out to get another 8GB for years now and have yet to see a price on good RAM that is competitive to what I got the first 8GB for, six years ago.

What are you smoking? RAM has been expensive for the last few years. I've kept an eye out to get another 8GB for years now and have yet to see a price on good RAM that is competitive to what I got the first 8GB for, six years ago.

Agreed. Ram and SSD prices have been going up lately due to resource costs / rarity. Might take a few years before they start going back down again.

Archived