Darkness Falls: They mostly come out at night...

KhaineGB

1 hour ago, Ganeshakw said:

Please dont forget the BIG GUN. Its not going to be difficult for you but will add a lot of thrill to the game. 😀

Bigger guns!? Haha, you do know that coil guns are better and then you have laser, which have been buffed and have a thermal mod now for EXCELLENT screamer heat management? Khaine is offering you your hearts desire on a platter. :D

11 hours ago, KhaineGB said:

Broken bone has always done that since I put wellness in. You new here? 😛

Interesting, I have never noticed broken bones permanently dropping wellness, I stand corrected. Still bro amazing work and Im glad you are relieving some of the pressure heat/cold so people who spawn out far have a chance to get out of the biome. Thanks for the reply.

Am I correct in thinking that a damaged (after it spawned, that is) repairable vehicle can't be repaired with vehicle repair kits?

I found a motorbike and tried with 3 kits and nothing happened. Then I tried with more and more kits until I was up to 12, but at that point I was beginning to think something had to be wrong; it'd be unlike DF to require you to wrench practically all cars in a major city to repair one vehicle...

I hit the motorbike while I was flailing around trying to figure out how the kits work and it doesn't seem like you can repair that kind of damage, so I'm guessing it's just broken.

1 hour ago, Similar said:

Am I correct in thinking that a damaged (after it spawned, that is) repairable vehicle can't be repaired with vehicle repair kits?

I found a motorbike and tried with 3 kits and nothing happened. Then I tried with more and more kits until I was up to 12, but at that point I was beginning to think something had to be wrong; it'd be unlike DF to require you to wrench practically all cars in a major city to repair one vehicle...

I hit the motorbike while I was flailing around trying to figure out how the kits work and it doesn't seem like you can repair that kind of damage, so I'm guessing it's just broken.

Apparently it is related to the zero hitpoint tree bug. So yes, if a zombie or you damage the repairable vehicle (minibike, bicycle, or motorcycle), it is basically useless and can't be repaired.

6 hours ago, SnowBee said:

Apparently it is related to the zero hitpoint tree bug. So yes, if a zombie or you damage the repairable vehicle (minibike, bicycle, or motorcycle), it is basically useless and can't be repaired.

Thanks. Bit of a shame; I could have had a good vehicle before level 10. Not actually certain I was the first to damage it either as there was a survivor fighting zombies right next to it when I found it.

It's a nice addition, though; more stuff that can seriously change how a game plays out.

1 hour ago, pmchem said:

hello, I'm playing DF 4.10

quick question: how / where do I get an aircraft faster and better than the gyrocopter?    thanks

The helicopters can sometimes be purchased from two of the traders, Caitlin and Bob. There is a Duster plane from Rekt, but you would need to determine whether that is "better than the gyrocopter".

In my current game, on the DFalls-Medium1-PEP map, Razor's first quest leads into wasteland.

I don't know if things have changed in the current version of DF, but this seems like it probably isn't intentional?

I am level 53, but still far from having anti-rad (lots of huge cities in this map, but barely any Crack-a-Books so far, so I'm a bit behind things).

On 10/10/2022 at 3:55 AM, Similar said:

In my current game, on the DFalls-Medium1-PEP map, Razor's first quest leads into wasteland.

I don't know if things have changed in the current version of DF, but this seems like it probably isn't intentional?

I am level 53, but still far from having anti-rad (lots of huge cities in this map, but barely any Crack-a-Books so far, so I'm a bit behind things).

This map is ... interesting. I just reached level 80, Day 30, 63 hours played and I finally have enough skill notes for the Scientist mastery, because I found an A17 Crack-a-Book store and another old Crack-a-Book today (the two storey library-ish one). Those two are the only vanilla Crack-a-Books I've found. The rest have been PEP POIs with very small book stores in them. Not a single A20 Crack-a-book (the only Mo Power I've seen was the destroyed one too).

I only have four classes unlocked and only one mastery (only because I found two mastery books in an airdrop). Very slow going.

But I guess I'll be able to make anti-rad now and finally get Razor's first quest done.

11 minutes ago, Similar said:

This map is ... interesting. I just reached level 80, Day 30, 63 hours played and I finally have enough skill notes for the Scientist mastery, because I found an A17 Crack-a-Book store and another old Crack-a-Book today (the two storey library-ish one). Those two are the only vanilla Crack-a-Books I've found. The rest have been PEP POIs with very small book stores in them. Not a single A20 Crack-a-book (the only Mo Power I've seen was the destroyed one too).

I only have four classes unlocked and only one mastery (only because I found two mastery books in an airdrop). Very slow going.

But I guess I'll be able to make anti-rad now and finally get Razor's first quest done.

FYI. The masteries can now also be bought from Caitlin, if you have 50 faction with her & 100k per mastery.

Also they are in air drops and certain ones are bought from traders (30 faction needed with that trader & 100k per mastery book). With the Scout offering all weapon, tool and science crafting skills for purchase, you can save skill points on those as well, and use the points elsewhere.

EDIT: I am currently playing another mod currently, and it works heavily on RNG with schematics. So, in frustration, my wife and I made a two day road trip on our mini bikes. Was actually quite fun in the end. We went looking through the towns and cities for the vanilla crack-a-books (as there is no CP or PEP) and found some small and large ones. Finally got quite a nice haul in the end. Anyway, maybe a road trip is in order as a  DF medium map should have some cities in it, just to look for book stores? On my map I only have very small towns nearby, so I had to go out of my way on our road trip to find some larger ones. :)

Edited by SnowBee (see edit history)

46 minutes ago, SnowBee said:

FYI. The masteries can now also be bought from Caitlin, if you have 50 faction with her & 100k per mastery.

yeh, I just couldnt get to her without anti-rad. I've only found enough hazmat fiber for two mods.

Also they are in air drops and certain ones are bought from traders (30 faction needed with that trader & 100k per mastery book). With the Scout offering all weapon, tool and science crafting skills for purchase, you can save skill points on those as well, and use the points elsewhere.

hmm. I should probably work more on faction points. I kind of ignore it after the early days because I don't find them too exciting (but I also hadn't expected to have this many problems findng skill notes).

EDIT: I am currently playing another mod currently, and it works heavily on RNG with schematics. So, in frustration, my wife and I made a two day road trip on our mini bikes. Was actually quite fun in the end. We went looking through the towns and cities for the vanilla crack-a-books (as there is no CP or PEP) and found some small and large ones. Finally got quite a nice haul in the end. Anyway, maybe a road trip is in order as a  DF medium map should have some cities in it, just to look for book stores? On my map I only have very small towns nearby, so I had to go out of my way on our road trip to find some larger ones. :)

There's tons of large and very large cities on the map, they just don't have any Crack-a-Books, except for the city I went to yesterday which suddenly had two.

Maybe I just got very unlucky, but the first 7 large cities didn't have any. It's a bit odd (also with the missing Mo Powers).

28 minutes ago, Similar said:

yeh, I just couldnt get to her without anti-rad. I've only found enough hazmat fiber for two mods.

hmm. I should probably work more on faction points. I kind of ignore it after the early days because I don't find them too exciting (but I also hadn't expected to have this many problems findng skill notes).

There's tons of large and very large cities on the map, they just don't have any Crack-a-Books, except for the city I went to yesterday which suddenly had two.

Maybe I just got very unlucky, but the first 7 large cities didn't have any. It's a bit odd (also with the missing Mo Powers).

Yeah, that fibre for radiation ready mods can still be a pain. I have found the Power plants are a great place to obtain them from the hazmat zombies. There are the power stations usually on the maps. They have the really big dual silos. The story does have The Reward quest from Eve, that can be farmed for fibre. Just a bit more dangerous now as all escape routes have been blocked, so you must go out the door you came in.

I looked at the map, and I saw one large library and the double story crack-a-book store. There are three large single floor (I think vanilla) crack-a-books that are not in the wasteland. Also another two large single floor book stores. I didn't check the small baby ones.

There are 3 or 4 large places in the wasteland, but they don't count for you yet.

1 hour ago, SnowBee said:

Yeah, that fibre for radiation ready mods can still be a pain. I have found the Power plants are a great place to obtain them from the hazmat zombies. There are the power stations usually on the maps. They have the really big dual silos.

I'll keep an eye out for those. Thanks.

It does seem like you get a bit more now, so maybe if I played with Bloodmoons I'd have more (probably stil not enough for a full set, though).

The story does have The Reward quest from Eve, that can be farmed for fibre. Just a bit more dangerous now as all escape routes have been blocked, so you must go out the door you came in.

hm. I don't remember getting much when I've done it, but I can't claim that was what I was looking for either, so maybe I just don't remember.

I looked at the map, and I saw one large library and the double story crack-a-book store. There are three large single floor (I think vanilla) crack-a-books that are not in the wasteland. Also another two large single floor book stores. I didn't check the small baby ones.

There are 3 or 4 large places in the wasteland, but they don't count for you yet.

I probably have been unlucky with the cities I've visited so far, but it does seem like the RWG has preferred Shamways and tool stores; there's plenty of those, also the A20 versions.

BTW, I screwed up Razor's quest (I expected the chest to be locked because I forgot they aren't in Buried Supplies quests, so I 'unlocked' it with my pickaxe which of course destroyed it) and when I got the quest again, it was in the wasteland again (but a different place). So I wonder if it is intentional. Just seems like that is bound to severely slow down progression. Not that I've minded too much, but I don't know if that will make things a lot harder when I get to The Reward and the other quests.

6 hours ago, Similar said:

I'll keep an eye out for those. Thanks.

It does seem like you get a bit more now, so maybe if I played with Bloodmoons I'd have more (probably stil not enough for a full set, though).

hm. I don't remember getting much when I've done it, but I can't claim that was what I was looking for either, so maybe I just don't remember.

I probably have been unlucky with the cities I've visited so far, but it does seem like the RWG has preferred Shamways and tool stores; there's plenty of those, also the A20 versions.

BTW, I screwed up Razor's quest (I expected the chest to be locked because I forgot they aren't in Buried Supplies quests, so I 'unlocked' it with my pickaxe which of course destroyed it) and when I got the quest again, it was in the wasteland again (but a different place). So I wonder if it is intentional. Just seems like that is bound to severely slow down progression. Not that I've minded too much, but I don't know if that will make things a lot harder when I get to The Reward and the other quests.

Yeah, Razor's quests are setup by gamestage. So the monsters you get will be more and more difficult depending on your gamestage. If you can easily defeat zombies in POI's at the time you do Razor's first quest again then you should be fine. I tend not to wait too long, I don't want to face demonic zombies if I can help it. If your gamestage allows it, then you will see demonics in that quest. It can be more difficult than the quests coming after it. Of course, you can just grab the supplies and run off.

3 minutes ago, Ganeshakw said:

I could never finish a supplies quest once the demonic sleepers awakes. If you try to fight them, the screamer hordes start appearing and then the fight turns into a bloodmoon kind of situation. Always abandoned and ran. Lol.

Yeah, once you have laser you can equip the new thermal mod which reduces screamer heat generation down to 0.1% per shot. Means you can blast away away 3x longer before a screamer drops around for coffee.

I was going to build my horde base on the edge of the winter biome, but then I could not figure out why the loot stage was not changing. Then in the back of my mind I recalled something about this from your 4.1.0 notes (I do read them at least once). D'oh.

It could be compatibility bug with one of my other mods, but I cannot get ak-47's to work (no reload). Probably DLX-Weapons_Fix 1.5.97, will update if I remember to pull it and test this weekend, but something to share. So far the only gun not working for me, though I do not yet have an m60.

FYI: this mod saved 7dtd for me, solo vanilla was getting stale for me back in a19 (without objectives or new challenges it loses the danger/excitement after about 60 days or so in my experience). I also like that Darkness Falls is self contained under the Mods folder (makes it super easy to add/remove/update it).

On 10/12/2022 at 11:51 PM, SnowBee said:

Yeah, Razor's quests are setup by gamestage. So the monsters you get will be more and more difficult depending on your gamestage. If you can easily defeat zombies in POI's at the time you do Razor's first quest again then you should be fine. I tend not to wait too long, I don't want to face demonic zombies if I can help it. If your gamestage allows it, then you will see demonics in that quest. It can be more difficult than the quests coming after it. Of course, you can just grab the supplies and run off.

I started over on DFalls-Large2-PEP and Razor didn't send me to the wasteland this time, so I got to Eve around level 23 or so. I found a motorcycle in this game too, and this time I didn't screw things up, so I got it repaired when I was level 11, and since Razor was 6.2km away that made a huge difference.

Also started out in the desert, which is now a much easier starting place than the forest, except for the massive slowdown you get from overheating until you find or make proper clothes (I started out as Labourer which meant I could make a tailoring station fairly quickly, and that meant I could craft a poncho, which helped a lot).

And I've had lots of treasure maps, so at level 13 I had 70K dukes. That's a first for me. Not that it's helped much since the traders don't have terribly interesting stuff yet.

Kind of feels like things are happening too fast. Maybe I should stop wearing the nerdy glasses...

Biggest problem is so far is that I haven't found a lathe or any silencers and even tier 2 trader quests (non-scout) have plenty of ferals and rads already, so I have to use guns, which gets pretty loud and I doubt I can handle a screamer horde at this point (especially since doing that would call in more screamers).

From past experience, doing the bunker without coil guns is a bad idea, but maybe I could manage it before level 60 if I can craft an M4. Those are rather good guns (and I've found a Blessed Metal mod too).

5 minutes ago, Similar said:

I started over on DFalls-Large2-PEP and Razor didn't send me to the wasteland this time, so I got to Eve around level 23 or so. I found a motorcycle in this game too, and this time I didn't screw things up, so I got it repaired when I was level 11, and since Razor was 6.2km away that made a huge difference.

Also started out in the desert, which is now a much easier starting place than the forest, except for the massive slowdown you get from overheating until you find or make proper clothes (I started out as Labourer which meant I could make a tailoring station fairly quickly, and that meant I could craft a poncho, which helped a lot).

And I've had lots of treasure maps, so at level 13 I had 70K dukes. That's a first for me. Not that it's helped much since the traders don't have terribly interesting stuff yet.

Kind of feels like things are happening too fast. Maybe I should stop wearing the nerdy glasses...

Biggest problem is so far is that I haven't found a lathe or any silencers and even tier 2 trader quests (non-scout) have plenty of ferals and rads already, so I have to use guns, which gets pretty loud and I doubt I can handle a screamer horde at this point (especially since doing that would call in more screamers).

From past experience, doing the bunker without coil guns is a bad idea, but maybe I could manage it before level 60 if I can craft an M4. Those are rather good guns (and I've found a Blessed Metal mod too).

Sounding like all is going to plan :)

A good place for lathes are the Working Stiff related stores or vehicles. If I recall, Joel is the Trader that sells them.

I assume your XP gain is on 100% or lower? Just checking to make sure you are not increasing your XP and gaining a faster gamestage increase than you should.

You don't have to be using coil at the Military Bunker. Unless you are at demonic zombies already, the bunker will have rad and tough zombies.

19 minutes ago, SnowBee said:

Sounding like all is going to plan :)

A good place for lathes are the Working Stiff related stores or vehicles. If I recall, Joel is the Trader that sells them.

My starting trader is Joel and he hasn't had any yet. But then, there's only been one trader reset so far (I'm on day 7, I think).

I'l go rummaging through some Working Stiffs. There are quite a few of those around.

I assume your XP gain is on 100% or lower? Just checking to make sure you are not increasing your XP and gaining a faster gamestage increase than you should.

I've never touched that setting so it should be default, but I'll check. And switch to loot glasses, I think.

You don't have to be using coil at the Military Bunker. Unless you are at demonic zombies already, the bunker will have rad and tough zombies.

yeh. hmm. I need to do some work; I don't even have steel yet, so an M4 will require quite some preparation before I can craft it.

6 minutes ago, Similar said:

My starting trader is Joel and he hasn't had any yet. But then, there's only been one trader reset so far (I'm on day 7, I think).

I'l go rummaging through some Working Stiffs. There are quite a few of those around.

I've never touched that setting so it should be default, but I'll check. And switch to loot glasses, I think.

yeh. hmm. I need to do some work; I don't even have steel yet, so an M4 will require quite some preparation before I can craft it.

Well, luckily this time around your M60 and M4A1 Tier 3 weapons are not mastery locked, so you should be able to more easily get to them. I think they require level 3 of weapons crafting now, and then a skill point into the actual weapon.