Darkness Falls: They mostly come out at night...

KhaineGB

And for my next potato question, the journal says that after an animal snare / chicken coop has triggered it has to be baited with more animal feed. How do I do this ? I've walked all around them with a handful of animal feed but I never found a way to shove it in ?

Cheers

10 hours ago, SilverveinsGaming said:

I'm sorry if this has already been asked, but I cannot find a direct answer.  Can you buy a laser workbench from Jen or anyone else and what faction level do you need with them?  I am only asking because Annie and research lab (tents in wasteland) didn't spawn on my RWG.  Yes sir, I am aware that might occur if I use RWG.  Just want to know if i need to edit in the POI's so i can get laser workbench or not.  Thanks for your attention in this matter and your mod is awesome as always.

The laser workbench being sold from Jen has been removed in v4.1, Version 4.1 is the most recent stable version. Since v4.1, you now obtain the laser workbench from Anna. She has it in one of her locked rooms. You will need to pick up a green key card for this first. It is part of the update so the DF Team can make the last part of the story into an awesome feature. I believe they are working on this in v4.1.1, however, I am unsure if it will be released by the time v4.1.1 goes stable.

6 minutes ago, Grolbu said:

And for my next potato question, the journal says that after an animal snare / chicken coop has triggered it has to be baited with more animal feed. How do I do this ? I've walked all around them with a handful of animal feed but I never found a way to shove it in ?

Cheers

Craft the animal feed, add it to your hotbar or toolbar, then select it and right click on the snare or coop. There will be a low audio sound to acknowledge it.

1 hour ago, Grolbu said:

Is there an advantage to irrigating crops ? I farm in 5x5 grids of farm plots with a rain catcher buried in the centre block which works ok, but irrigation is a thing and I can't imagine Khaine put it in there just as a more expensive shorter range rain catcher ...  Does it make things grow faster or something ? All I can gather from the journal is that my farm plots can be next to an irrigation pipe instead of the water source, so one water source and irrigation pump can feed many more plots than a rain catcher.

G.

It is only a requirement for underground farming. You cannot use rain catchers underground.

For surface farming, using tilling or farm plots with rain catchers work pretty well, and there is no difference in speed between irrigation and rain catcher supplied crops.

After saying that, I would still take irrigation over hoeing & rain catchers 100% of the time, once I can afford it. I find it more aesthetically pleasing to the eye, so when I really want to create large farms, I prefer the looks of irrigation over rain catchers. Especially as I can bury the pipes. There is the potential for adding more crops when using irrigation and burying a pipe, however, these days players have interesting ways for layouts and can get quite a few crops into rain catcher land space.

In the past I found rain catchers a bit more buggy, where irrigation just worked fine as long as the water hole pump had some water, and the pump was submerged. So the water being sucked up from the pump never goes down (just don't add other growing plants within four blocks of the pump hole). You can have a huge farm, and the small reservoir of water where the pump is will always provide full pipes and consistently give water to your crops.

4 minutes ago, SnowBee said:

... as I can bury the pipes ...

You can do what ???  How does that work ?  What I think I just read was dig down two layers and lay the pipes then put dirt blocks / farm plots on top of the pipe and 1 block to each side ??  So every third row in the farm has a pipe running under it ?

My rain catchers dried up after the rain stopped (they didn't last time I did a DF playthrough, that was quite a surprise) so I think I will have a look at irrigation !

Thanks !

1 hour ago, Ganeshakw said:

Can we increase the growing period for our crops including apples, oranges & coconuts ?

I can't recall, but I think fruit trees was increased in v4.1, which version are you playing?

39 minutes ago, Grolbu said:

You can do what ???  How does that work ?  What I think I just read was dig down two layers and lay the pipes then put dirt blocks / farm plots on top of the pipe and 1 block to each side ??  So every third row in the farm has a pipe running under it ?

My rain catchers dried up after the rain stopped (they didn't last time I did a DF playthrough, that was quite a surprise) so I think I will have a look at irrigation !

Thanks !

Add a scarecrow to help keep your farming and rain catchers "alive". The scarecrow will help keep the chunk ticking over when you are away exploring. You can use it for irrigation as well.

You can run the irrigation pipe under the plots and they will still get the same three blocks of coverage.

As depicted below, if the pipe is the "0" below, then the "X" crops will get water above the pipe.

XXXXXXX

The above works the same as when the pipe is at the same level as the crops:

XXX0XXX

I hope that makes sense :)

Edited by SnowBee (see edit history)

The only difference to raincatcher are, the raincatcher need to produce the water first.

Everytime a plant want to grow up it need water at range and the plant consume the water.

While a pipe got unlimited water, you need to have a trench for the raincatcher so it can fill up that trench with water.

When you want that all plants grow up at the same speed, you should have plenty of water for them and not 1 1x1 above the raincatcher for 5x5 farmplots.

Check out the ricefarming video from snowbee at YT.

Sometimes Zombies damage/bug the raincatcher and they don't produce water anymore. Try to repair and pickup them, and place them at the same spot, should fix the problem.

While raincatcher and plants only work when someone is at the chunk, you should use the scarecrow that keep the chunk active and let both work.

2 hours ago, SnowBee said:

I can't recall, but I think fruit trees was increased in v4.1, which version are you playing?

Add a scarecrow to help keep your farming and rain catchers "alive". The scarecrow will help keep the chunk ticking over when you are away exploring. You can use it for irrigation as well.

You can run the irrigation pipe under the plots and they will still get the same three blocks of coverage.

As depicted below, if the pipe is the "0" below, then the "X" crops will get water above the pipe.

XXXXXXX

The above works the same as when the pipe is at the same level as the crops:

XXX0XXX

I hope that makes sense :)

If only someone would make videos covering this. 😉

Oh wait!

Snowbee is awesome thanks to his tips I used the roof of higashi as a base.  It took a lot of stabilizing (the building) but I got an irrigation setup going on the floor below the penthouse so I could use the garden path on the roof as a farm.

What I don't understand at this point regarding the whole complicatedness of setting up a farm... why don't the descriptions of farming lights, scarecrows and irrigation systems just tell the players how they work? I can't find the information anywhere in the game that farming lights work in a 4 blocks radius. Same for the other items. That is clearly missing there and making things more complicated than necessary.

Interestingly, I am just setting up my farm in my current savegame and I have always thought irrigation pipes need to be next (1 block) to the crops. Never knew about 3 blocks radius (thanks Snowbee). I want to set up some scarecrows as I believe I know what they do but again I have no idea about what their working radius is and how many I need for my huge farm. It would be so easy to add those information to the item descriptions. Now I have to search for a YT video to find the information about scarecrows. Is that the way to go?

10 minutes ago, PoloPoPo said:

Is that the way to go?

Better search the DF discord channel for more information.

But yes you are right many useful informations could add to description or journal entries (maybe there are allready some info at these entries i didn't checked yet).

9 hours ago, Ganeshakw said:

Can we increase the growing period for our crops including apples, oranges & coconuts ?

The underground crops grow faster.

2 hours ago, PoloPoPo said:

What I don't understand at this point regarding the whole complicatedness of setting up a farm... why don't the descriptions of farming lights, scarecrows and irrigation systems just tell the players how they work? I can't find the information anywhere in the game that farming lights work in a 4 blocks radius. Same for the other items. That is clearly missing there and making things more complicated than necessary.

Interestingly, I am just setting up my farm in my current savegame and I have always thought irrigation pipes need to be next (1 block) to the crops. Never knew about 3 blocks radius (thanks Snowbee). I want to set up some scarecrows as I believe I know what they do but again I have no idea about what their working radius is and how many I need for my huge farm. It would be so easy to add those information to the item descriptions. Now I have to search for a YT video to find the information about scarecrows. Is that the way to go?

You mean like the farming entry in the journal? Which does explain everything except the grow lights?

Like that? 😛

And the scarecrow tells you exactly how it works. It tells you it keeps the chunk alive. A cursory google search could've told you how big a 7DTD chunk is.

https://7daystodie.fandom.com/wiki/Heatmap

Every chunk (a 16 X 16 block area) has a heat level value and various activities can increase the heat level.

Edited by KhaineGB (see edit history)

On 10/30/2022 at 1:40 PM, Canute said:

When the power went out some files won't be saved correct and get corrupt.

Since on default there isn't any backup, the recovery of that world would be difficult.
You can look what files get modified at last , and when they are region files you can try to delete them, but if that would be your homebase it would be gone too.

But i don't give you much hope for it.

You should take a look at

https://steamcommunity.com/app/251570/discussions/1/3077621289885504369/?l=schinese

Maybe you find any useable workarounds.

When you encounter more power fails, you maybe should consider to use the Backup mod.

Thank you so much! The video worked perfectly it seems and it was super easy to do. Man, you saved me a rage-quit! :) 

I have finally found a female and a male boar recently. So I have built a huge box of concrete with 6 block high walls for them to live, no roof. Went out for 1,5 days doing a level 5 quest. When I came back to my base there were boars everywhere. I saw them from far away on the road, in front of my doors, on my rooftop, at neighbours' gardens, literally everywhere. Plus about 40 more boars inside their concrete box.

They must have stacked more than those six blocks and escaped, right? Anyway, I killed all but a single female and a single male and got 7,5k meat. I think their reproduction rate should get reconsidered, though 😀

Edit:

And another question:

I have built two rows of beehives on top of each other. Only the top beehives can be looted after a while, never the beehives on bottom. Does that work as intended and what am I missing?

Edited by PoloPoPo (see edit history)

7 hours ago, PoloPoPo said:

I have finally found a female and a male boar recently. So I have built a huge box of concrete with 6 block high walls for them to live, no roof. Went out for 1,5 days doing a level 5 quest. When I came back to my base there were boars everywhere. I saw them from far away on the road, in front of my doors, on my rooftop, at neighbours' gardens, literally everywhere. Plus about 40 more boars inside their concrete box.

They must have stacked more than those six blocks and escaped, right? Anyway, I killed all but a single female and a single male and got 7,5k meat. I think their reproduction rate should get reconsidered, though 😀

Edit:

And another question:

I have built two rows of beehives on top of each other. Only the top beehives can be looted after a while, never the beehives on bottom. Does that work as intended and what am I missing?

Yeah, the timer on babies has been decreased in v4.1.1, there is an experimental of it, but stable v4.1.1 will release with the decrease. I think it is changed from 10 minutes to 60 minutes. Meat Factory! :)   YT Video on Animal Husbandry

Beehives should not be placed on top of one another. They will not produce from both, unfortunately.

I have had them work fine adjacent to one another, but it is usually recommended to keep them separate.

18 hours ago, KhaineGB said:

You mean like the farming entry in the journal? Which does explain everything except the grow lights?

And the scarecrow tells you exactly how it works. It tells you it keeps the chunk alive.

*cough* grow lights, and irrigation, and scarecrows ...

I did read the journal. I'm happy to be proven wrong but I didn't stumble across anything about irrigation and how to do it and why I might want to, and why I might want to throw down a scarecrow ...  SnowBee's video showed me why I should irrigate and how to do it, and this forum told me about scarecrows. Sure the scarecrow tells you what it does but you only see that if you already know you want one and are looking at it.

One of the things I really liked about DF when I started playing it was how I didn't know what I could and couldn't do, and how so much didn't work the way I was used to, and that there was so much I had to either stumble across or hear about from other people, just like it would be in a real zombie apocalypse - and this is a great example. I knew I could grow crops and I knew they needed water but that was about it - beyond the basics it's something that has to be discovered.

Edited by Grolbu (see edit history)

22 minutes ago, Grolbu said:

I did read the journal. I'm happy to be proven wrong but I didn't stumble across anything about irrigation and how to do it and why I might want to, and why I might want to throw down a scarecrow ...  SnowBee's video showed me why I should irrigate and how to do it, and this forum told me about scarecrows. Sure the scarecrow tells you what it does but you only see that if you already know you want one and are looking at it.

One of the things I really liked about DF when I started playing it was how I didn't know what I could and couldn't do, and how so much didn't work the way I was used to, and that there was so much I had to either stumble across or hear about from other people, just like it would be in a real zombie apocalypse - and this is a great example. I knew I could grow crops and I knew they needed water but that was about it - beyond the basics it's something that has to be discovered.

Yeah, if the journal was that great I would be out of a job in making guides :D  :D

You are the expert for that.

Just create an overworked Journal entry about Farming and Underground farming.

And then send the text to Khaine so he can add/replace it.

And at the next release he overwork the whole farming and the text become obsolete ! 🙂

2 hours ago, Grolbu said:

Yea, I really enjoy the guessing part. It is more immersive for me that way. Even exploring what can be crafted at night when I am hiding. Gives me something to do. Then when I get frustrated, I just watch a Snowbee video. 

8 hours ago, Grolbu said:

From the journal.

Growing crops in Darkness Falls requires a little extra work. The Scrap Iron Hoe or Iron Hoe can prepare ground for you to plant on, or you can use the farm plot block. Using the hoe will change the dirt next to the block you upgraded into normal dirt, so bear that in mind and plan accordingly.

All crops require water within 4 blocks or they will not grow. This does not apply to trees.

The farmer class has access to Irrigation systems, which replaces the need for water to be near the crops, but crops must be within 2 blocks of an irrigation pipe in any direction. <------------------ this bit

The Living Off The Land perk will increase the amount of crops you get when you punch them. Pressing the action key to pick up plants does not benefit from this perk.

From the scarecrow description.

A simple scarecrow that can be used to distract zombies and encourage crop growth.

This block spawns an entity which works as a chunk loader. Be aware this may increase lag

The information is absolutely there. People just don't read. You use irrigation if you WANT to. You don't HAVE to. You do for the underground plants and I am pretty sure they state as such.

EDIT: It does.

This specially modified plant can grow underground with growing lights and an irrigation system.

Edited by KhaineGB (see edit history)