Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

Roland

Developer Discussions: Alpha 17  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Developer Discussions: Alpha 17

• Newly Updated
    • Check out the newest reveals by Madmole
    • Over 100 new perk books with set collecting and bonuses

Yeah I does. It's why the fifth wood frame you attach to an unsupported block falls. How walking on a block at it's limit knows to collapse.

Maybe it's just the way your sentence is worded that throws me. But things being too heavy to sit on each other is basically the SI system.

Though I don't understand the function of a foundation at this point in the discussion as I think the design of it may have gotten a little out of hand...

I could be wrong, but I think CC means that there is no SI for a steel block being too heavy for a wood frame underneath it, causing collapse.

If it only checks SI one block below then it can float with one block of stone attached.

- - - Updated - - -

Not the code, the design of being able to mod each part of the weapon. It was a good idea, use that as a base perhaps.

Who said Granite only checks one block below? Have it behave just like any other block. If not supported itself, calculate it's SI. But the block sitting on top of the granite block? That one is considered stable because it's sitting on the Granite.

So the granite block is just as prone to collapse as anything else. So no, you can't have a floating base.

- - - Updated - - -

Before we raise the complexity of the topic further i would like to reduce it to the core

We have here 2 different problems at the topic of Basebuilding

1: SI The Si need Stable underground or better said pillars able to hold the whole base

Easy solvable by Pillars from Bedrock to Surfacelevel

2: Spawn. The spawner need to be able to spawn Zombies outside of a secured area.

Means player compounds cant be larger than around 60x60 Meters (i Choose 53x53 for my Prefabs)

Or Zombies cant spawn on the other Side of the Base Area OUTSIDE of the area.

Because the Max Spawnrange would be inside of the "Wall".

Point one is easy to solve by a (Multiblock) Drill block that is fueled with Gas and Concrete and Build automatic such a Pillar

Example:

35BE59B6182F9EAFC6835787AD660F531891557C

This way even noobs can build a Foundation

Point Two need to be reflected ingame, as example by a Claimstone with that measures.

Btw 53x53 looks so

1CABE6FA0D0C362DC01FF680B96F02CC8C419050

The topic of Threads against underground should base on that both points

I would say that drill is incredibly OP. And self repairing.... Uh.

What's to stop me from building a tower then setting these at the top to make a border around my base?

I hope the sleepers and zombies get some overhaul. Game has just gotten to easy even from the beginning.

I kinda want to see home/house POI's have a chance to include a Zombie dog in their spawn. So sure, sleepers might be easy. But eeeevery now and then, the families guard dog stuck with them to the end... Plus!

I would say that drill is incredibly OP. And self repairing.... Uh.

What's to stop me from building a tower then setting these at the top to make a border around my base?

Self repairing is nothing i said ^^

About the tower,

1: i wouldnt care

2: the drill can be slower than a player with tools. And the drill can be expensive enough so that no player can spam them

I could be wrong, but I think CC means that there is no SI for a steel block being too heavy for a wood frame underneath it, causing collapse.

But... There is.

SI is calculated from all sides of a block, including the top. That's why, for example, if you have a supported column to bedrock, stick one block to the side of that column, new block is now unsupported, then stack blocks on top of that one unsupported block, they'll eventually collapse.

My problem with a zombie spawning outside my base underground is that if they're not coming through a tunnel, and they dig right up to my forge room wall, I've got no way to defend my base. I have to wait for a breach of my base to even fight the Zombies.

Counter? Dig a GIANT air pocket around the forge room and trap/turret all exposed sides (five sides if I'm on bedrock, 6 if not on bedrock).

Seems really annoying and prone to simply making a sink hole to the surface.

I agree with you. :)

Self repairing is nothing i said ^^

About the tower,

1: i wouldnt care

2: the drill can be slower than a player with tools. And the drill can be expensive enough so that no player can spam them

Oops! Morning eyeballs. Haven't even finished my first cup of coffee.

I wouldn't bother with the slow bit or the large model. Just a single 1x1 block that's, yeah, really expensive. But only to make reinforced concrete. Otherwise it'll end up so expensive, people just won't bother with it for the most part.

But... There is.

SI is calculated from all sides of a block, including the top. That's why, for example, if you have a supported column to bedrock, stick one block to the side of that column, new block is now unsupported, then stack blocks on top of that one unsupported block, they'll eventually collapse.

Yes, if you put a block to the side it will do that, but you can have a 1x1 tower from bedrock to 254 of steel blocks, and it would not collapse the 1 wood frame directly underneath.

I agree with you. :)

I will be honest my first thoughts that digging from the surface seems a better idea.

But if special zombies dug down then this would trigger underground spawning and the AI converged on the vertical digger zombies shaft then this would make less swiss cheese but have more player detection.

Problem is what happens if player leaves the underground once this has been triggered.

Yes, if you put a block to the side it will do that, but you can have a 1x1 tower from bedrock to 254 of steel blocks, and it would not collapse the 1 wood frame directly underneath.

So?

Thats not a floating base, nor an issue with any suggestions made thus far to support more underground game play options.

Sorry, and that is simply SI. That doesn't mean. That there's no mechanics for a block being too heavy for another block on top of it.

The block to the side and stacked on top is a mechanic for determining if a block is too heavy on top.

I will be honest my first thoughts that digging from the surface seems a better idea.

But if special zombies dug down then this would trigger underground spawning and the AI converged on the vertical digger zombies shaft then this would make less swiss cheese but have more player detection.

Problem is what happens if player leaves the underground once this has been triggered.

That has been my biggest problem. Half the time I don't even know a wandering horde is near by until it's darn near on top of me.

Agreed...but also breachers and diggers...let them only dig down 10 blocks deep at a time...next time another 10 etc.

OUCH

MTFGA...COUGHS* VIDEO *COUGHS

The vertical dig can go on however. It's the horizontal digging that causes issues. If you're underground, working in your forge room, zombies start digging down, you've got no idea. You head back up top side, now they're half way down to your underground base. You're still clueless. You're upgrading blocks on your base all carefree. Until it starts to collapse because those zombies, now start digging sideways and up to get to you make big holes under your base.

The big benefit of such a drill would be that you dont fall into death if you dig down into a cave.

A other alternative would be a Rope system that if you should fall would hold you (move you slow downwards)

Oh, well for digging down, I generally like the "don't dig straight down" rule. :-p

I kinda want to see home/house POI's have a chance to include a Zombie dog in their spawn. So sure, sleepers might be easy. But eeeevery now and then, the families guard dog stuck with them to the end... Plus!

I thought this was a thing already. I definitely walked into a house with a zombie dog behind the kitchen counter.

The vertical dig can go on however. It's the horizontal digging that causes issues. If you're underground, working in your forge room, zombies start digging down, you've got no idea. You head back up top side, now they're half way down to your underground base. You're still clueless. You're upgrading blocks on your base all carefree. Until it starts to collapse because those zombies, now start digging sideways and up to get to you make big holes under your base.

Isn't that the point of the diggers though...to make it tougher?

Have the diggers tied to breadcrumb system...if it ever shows up.

Diggers go vertical until they sense a player placed block ....within a certain radius...then they go horizontal...they will either hit a wall or a rabbit hole/tunnel/ladder to access/attack the base. That would solve a few problems for underground living. But I think environmental factors should come into play as well...no air or water table etc

I think some audiable event from zombies if the player starts moving out of there sense range could be considered.

This would warn the players there are zombies tunneling.

This could only happen once the vertical shaft has been dug.

Or zombies that spawn underground have different more distinct audio effects.

I thought this was a thing already. I definitely walked into a house with a zombie dog behind the kitchen counter.

That may have been a biome specific spawn. But the general spawn groups don't have a dog in the list. Spawn groups are gonna need a revamp at some point. So you can have a suburban family spawn group, that say at a later game stage, it does include a dog in the list of spawn entities. Current spawn groups are not completely there for imersion or advancing game play.

- - - Updated - - -

Isn't that the point of the diggers though...to make it tougher?

Have the diggers tied to breadcrumb system...if it ever shows up.

Diggers go vertical until they sense a player placed block ....within a certain radius...then they go horizontal...they will either hit a wall or a rabbit hole/tunnel/ladder to access/attack the base. That would solve a few problems for underground living. But I think environmental factors should come into play as well...no air or water table etc

Tougher is fine. Being an unknowing victim to a system design is generally a rather frustrating situation.

Not knowing Zombies are destroying the ground under your base has no means for defense.

It's like if they implemented a random lightning strike that insta kills you.

Except it can insta kill your base in effect.

Archived