A16 (stable) rwgmixer re done top to bottom! (refined)

Tin

Update for Sep 3rd 2017...

New Terrain Gen and Hubs.

*World does not have large water bodies. They have been replaced with poi "Water" sources (Don't worry! Plenty to find in Cities/Towns and the wilds) hope you enjoy!*

Aug 31 2017:

RWGMIXER +++

Link: -> A16.3(b12) RWGmixer +++ with Vanilla Poi's and Accent Poi's

Link: -> A16.3(b12) RWGmixer +++ with Compo Pack28 Poi's and Accent Poi's

Important Note: Please read the commented area near the top of the RWGmixer to learn how to run 3 different terrain gens.

This RWGmixer has 3 different terrain generators that you can choose from.

• "TinFlatsMap" for more flat areas
  • "TinMoreMNTMap" for more mountains than "TinFlatMap" areas
  • "TinNomadMap" for more mountains/hills fewer Hubs than "TinMoreMNTmap"

Each "Subtly" unique to give you a different flavor of worlds beyond what One terrain gen can give you.

For the New RWGmixer:

Each cell has a unique feature.

RuralCells obviously will have Rural hubs but the roads will be dirt and have dirt paths leading to poi's.

TownCells will have asphalt roads in the hubs, except the smallest town hub will be dirt and have gravel paths leading to those poi's in that cell.

CityCells will have asphalt roads in hubs and asphalt paths leading to those poi's.

Open spoilers for old terrain gen:

Update for July 26th 2017... Updated with new hub street layout much much better... Not a need to re D/l if you're enjoying the game as is. Only if you want the new stuff now :)

RWGmixer with Compo Pack plus vanilla plus accent pois.

RWGmixer Vanilla pois and accent pois.

Select which best fits your needs.

(down load link fixed... srry for any inconvenience)

Link->RWGmixer with Compo Pack & Accent pois

Link->RWGmixer with Accent pois (vanilla pois)

*Special Note* Aug 8th 2017: Mag has redone the compo pack with many fixes to blocks and prefabs in general. If you are already using my rwgmixer with compo pack. Simply d/l the new compo pack and replace the new prefab folder with the old. Restart a new world.

Use this Link->COMPOPACK_27

->The compo pack comes with a rwgmixer but don't use it if you want to keep my terrain gen. TY<-

Link->

Just got the Okay to add the compo pack! TYVM to Mag and all who are involved. So stop in the compo thread and give them a big TY's.

This is a large D/L since it includes the prefab folder and both The "Water" and "No Water" builds.

Also included: New Hubs and Cell additions and street layouts along with the itemized pois for each hub type.

Hubs included:

• Rural small
  • Rural large
  • Town small
  • Town Large
  • City small
  • City Large (and corresponding Cell make up).

Also initialized the other modules in the terrain gen to accent the landscape a touch more :)

The link contains a main folder and two folders inside along with a prefab folder. One folder contains the rwgmixer with "water" and the other is a set up for "No" to "little water" (random is random and I can't adjust for every possible combination but it should be very unusual for you to get a world with any major water... I hope!).

*Don't forget* swap the prefab folder as well :)

V***********Extras Section:***********V

Updated Sep3rd 2017: Complimentary Biomes.xml for the A16 (stable) rwgmixer.xml

Link ->Biomes and Weathersurvival.xml A16.3(b12) Sep,3 2017

Biomes.xml can be used as a stand alone as well as the weathersurvival.xml but work together really well.

Updated to make the clay sub biomes smaller and less prevalent. Decreased decoration load times slightly.

Link-> More Animals than A16 but less than A15

Desc: A nice blend of A15 and A16 animal population (imo)

Link-> New Spawning system for A16

Desc: New spawn system (pairs well with the animals spawning).

Link-> Buff's and Items.xml A16.3(b12) Sep 5, 2017

Desc:

Refined Bleed scheme.

buff.xml:

• MinBleeding: delivers 1 damage per 3 seconds over 60 seconds.
  • Bleeding: delivers 1 damage per 2 seconds over 60 seconds.
  • MaxBleeding: (is vanilla bleed) delivers 1 damage per second over 60 seconds.

If you get "minbleed" it has a chance to go to "bleed" or "maxbleed" if you continue to get hit without applying first aid of any type.

If you get "bleed" it has a chance to go to "maxbleed" if you continue to get hit without applying first aid of any type (wont downgrade to min).

"maxbleed" is tops.

*Bleeding is required in order to get infected*

Items.xml redone zed hand damage and added the new bleeds and Infection scheme.

Herbal Antibiotics cures infection stage2.

***Note: Both the item and Buff.xmls are need to run this.***

^***********Extras Section:***********^

[Pics to follow as time goes on]

(Pics from redone Biome.xml)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21981[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]21982[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]21983[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]21984[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]21985[/ATTACH]

-> Link to more pics <-

I hope you Enjoy it.

If you do use this in a mod just a TY and a nod, would be appreciated that's it... or a wink :p

Notes: What I am trying to accomplish with the mods I put out.

Basically, you won't really find what most other mods do as compared to mine. These are nothing more then what I perceive as "Enhancements" to the original game. You won't find complex reworks of systems (f.e. progression, 20 different crafting stations, New crafting recipes, totally different perks etc,.) So you will always be able to load up my mods and play with the majority of the original systems in play... and just that, play the game (mostly) as TFP intended.

So TY all who are trying out what I am making and the critiques you've been making I really appreciate the input. :)

Special shout out to n2n1 for turning me onto the burnt forest particle effect.

Thank for this Tin!

I can confirm with an i7 7700k, 980ti, 32GB of RAM it really does take 10+ minutes to load. The result is pretty amazing though, good job.

Unfortunately, the RAM usage is quite high (~20GB for me) and is not realistic for my friends and I to play together. I've been screwing with the RWGmixer settings to just sort of normalize everything a bit (less crazy mountains, less water-- not no water, just less, fewer areas at max height). This is my first foray into the RWGmixer.xml, and while I read through the A15 almost in it's entirety to try and glean some useful information, it looks like too much has changed.

I'm curious if you could shed some light for me on how I'd go about changing the following:

1. Fewer Mountains
  2. Slightly less water
  3. Less area at max height (though this may come with fewer mountains)

I've been beating my head against a wall trying settings one at a time and the best I did was create wide sweeping valleys (neat in their own right, but I do like some cliffs). I'm also mostly okay with vanilla biomes and hubs right now.

Any direction you could lend would be amazing!

p.s. Totally using your mixer for my private games :)

Thank for this Tin!

I can confirm with an i7 7700k, 980ti, 32GB of RAM it really does take 10+ minutes to load. The result is pretty amazing though, good job.

Unfortunately, the RAM usage is quite high (~20GB for me) and is not realistic for my friends and I to play together. I've been screwing with the RWGmixer settings to just sort of normalize everything a bit (less crazy mountains, less water-- not no water, just less, fewer areas at max height). This is my first foray into the RWGmixer.xml, and while I read through the A15 almost in it's entirety to try and glean some useful information, it looks like too much has changed.

I'm curious if you could shed some light for me on how I'd go about changing the following:

1. Fewer Mountains
  2. Slightly less water
  3. Less area at max height (though this may come with fewer mountains)

I've been beating my head against a wall trying settings one at a time and the best I did was create wide sweeping valleys (neat in their own right, but I do like some cliffs). I'm also mostly okay with vanilla biomes and hubs right now.

Any direction you could lend would be amazing!

p.s. Totally using your mixer for my private games :)

Just to let you know..

Once you load the world initially-

Log out and exit totally from the game/ shut down server (if using one)-

Restart everything and the the ram usage will be cut drastically-

It's just something on the very initial loading that is the major issue.

If you want to lessen the water and mountains on the "Vanilla" terrain gen, then very carefully (it will take a lot of reloading and tweaking)

<module name="scaleBiasOutput" type="ScaleBiasOutput">
<property name="sourceModule" value="landMntWater2"/>
<property name="scale" value="255"/>
</module>

[cheap way] Lower the "scale":Not this one ^ but...

The ones that are of a set.. VV

All module sets like:

<module name="mountainsBase" type="FastNoise" no_seed="true">
<property name="frequency" value="0.25"/>
</module>
<module name="mountainsT" type="FastTurbulence">
<property name="sourceModule" value="mountainsBase"/>
<property name="power" value="5"/>
<property name="roughness" value="8"/>
</module>
<module name="mountainsScaled" type="ScaleBiasOutput">
<property name="sourceModule" value="mountainsT"/>
<property name="scale" value="1.3"/>
<property name="bias" value="-0.4"/>
</module>
<module name="mountainsOutput" type="ClampOutput">
<property name="sourceModule" value="mountainsScaled"/>
<property name="bounds" value="0,1.3"/>
</module>

I consider this ^ 1 set of modules, you'll find <property name="scale" value="1.3"/> within them.

Some of the modules that are for the water in 'Vanilla' are not stand alone and affect other modules so it'll be a bit tricky.

Your best bet, if you really want to get into everything, is go through the Libnoise tutorials to get a handle on how things are set up * just type into your browser search and you'll find it pretty quick *

If you have the tutorial and the rwgmixer side by side, you can see how TFP went about setting things up as opposed to how Libnoise does it. You'll find they're pretty similar for the most parts.

*just an FYI* not everything in Libnoise is used in TFP version. TFP version if heavily modified to their needs.

Then start messing around with the vanilla set up till you get comfortable to start building your own modules.

If you search in your browser 7d2d rwgmixer it should take you to a thread that is all about the rwgmixer and throughout it will be a product of many ppl works and experiments concerning it.

Hope this helps you some :)

Really loving this so far. The cities actually feel like cities, the ground is flat enough to build on without much hassle, water is truly scarce (I haven't found any ponds or rivers), and the mountains actually look like mountain ranges rather than confused hills or ridges.

Tried it out in SP first and it loaded up in about 10 minutes. But when I tossed it onto my dedicated (i7-4790 w/16gb) it took an eternity (an hour and 15 minutes) to start up. Thankfully I was working and wasn't looking to play, otherwise I probably would have stopped it. Restarting the server though and it came back up in a matter of seconds and performance is solid. So, no harm there.

Thanks for sharing!

Just to let you know..

Once you load the world initially-

Log out and exit totally from the game/ shut down server (if using one)-

Restart everything and the the ram usage will be cut drastically-

It's just something on the very initial loading that is the major issue.

If you want to lessen the water and mountains on the "Vanilla" terrain gen, then very carefully (it will take a lot of reloading and tweaking)

<module name="scaleBiasOutput" type="ScaleBiasOutput">
<property name="sourceModule" value="landMntWater2"/>
<property name="scale" value="255"/>
</module>

[cheap way] Lower the "scale":Not this one ^ but...

The ones that are of a set.. VV

All module sets like:

<module name="mountainsBase" type="FastNoise" no_seed="true">
</module>
<module name="mountainsT" type="FastTurbulence">
<property name="sourceModule" value="mountainsBase"/>
<property name="power" value="5"/>
<property name="roughness" value="8"/>
</module>
<module name="mountainsScaled" type="ScaleBiasOutput">
<property name="sourceModule" value="mountainsT"/>
<property name="scale" value="1.3"/>
<property name="bias" value="-0.4"/>
</module>
<module name="mountainsOutput" type="ClampOutput">
<property name="sourceModule" value="mountainsScaled"/>
<property name="bounds" value="0,1.3"/>
</module>

I consider this ^ 1 set of modules, you'll find <property name="scale" value="1.3"/> within them.

Some of the modules that are for the water in 'Vanilla' are not stand alone and affect other modules so it'll be a bit tricky.

Your best bet, if you really want to get into everything, is go through the Libnoise tutorials to get a handle on how things are set up * just type into your browser search and you'll find it pretty quick *

If you have the tutorial and the rwgmixer side by side, you can see how TFP went about setting things up as opposed to how Libnoise does it. You'll find they're pretty similar for the most parts.

*just an FYI* not everything in Libnoise is used in TFP version. TFP version if heavily modified to their needs.

Then start messing around with the vanilla set up till you get comfortable to start building your own modules.

If you search in your browser 7d2d rwgmixer it should take you to a thread that is all about the rwgmixer and throughout it will be a product of many ppl works and experiments concerning it.

Hope this helps you some :)

This is a phenomenal amount of information! Thanks a ton for the details, direction, and examples! Off I goooooooooooo!

Really loving this so far. The cities actually feel like cities, the ground is flat enough to build on without much hassle, water is truly scarce (I haven't found any ponds or rivers), and the mountains actually look like mountain ranges rather than confused hills or ridges.

Tried it out in SP first and it loaded up in about 10 minutes. But when I tossed it onto my dedicated (i7-4790 w/16gb) it took an eternity (an hour and 15 minutes) to start up. Thankfully I was working and wasn't looking to play, otherwise I probably would have stopped it. Restarting the server though and it came back up in a matter of seconds and performance is solid. So, no harm there.

Thanks for sharing!

Yeah, I don't know why it's taking so long when it comes to loading it up on a server :( Well minus the increased size of the hubs and all but I wouldn't think it would be that long xD

It's putting a cramp into my hub designs... grumble.

- - - Updated - - -

This is a phenomenal amount of information! Thanks a ton for the details, direction, and examples! Off I goooooooooooo!

No worries, if I can help cut the learning curve down some its all good :)

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you so much!! this is a worldgen i can be proud to die within, repeatedly :)

Thanks! :)

Hello, I have a question :)

for what purpose is <biome_intensity_generators> ?

and , maybe, dumb question: I do want to remove sharp peaks (not to cut - but to make its mountains look like hills).

How should i take the parameters to start experimenting ?

PS: return to speaking about the error in "rural".

I understand that it's not actually used... but maybe, XML-error is processed and leads to a crash. By the way - after correction, i thought, i got rid of an error which occurred in RWG-previewer.

Size and shape of the biomes based off of frequencies when they get places but only for the random placed biomes. It also controls the dithering effect between biomes as well. The ones that use this rule <biome_generator range="0,1"/> in the biome list.

It's basically does the same thing as the terrain generator except for a 2d surface.. kinda!

Imagine a 3d landscape made of clay. Then you draw shapes on plastic wrap and color those shapes in with each colored to represent a biome. Then you take the plastic wrap and drape it over the the 3d landscape.

Best way I can describe it...

Probably lower the scale some for the mountains modules. Once the land reaches 162m on the map display, the land wont go flat like it used to but be forced to have a peak and dip back down. Which results in the knife edge looking mountain ranges.

If your mountains are giving sharp peaks in general you probably want to change the frequency used to FastNoise, FastBillow, Billow (with exceptions you can use the bias property to stretch and make the peaks more blunt at the tops. The RidgedMultifractal and FastRidgedMultifractal will naturally make sharp cuts and lines in the terrain, mountains and their peaks (again you can tweak the bias to make it more blunt except the peaks that reach 162m).

edit: you can also lower the frequencies down as well but do so a little at a time. Example: if you had a frequency of 0.25 my next try would be 0.025 and see what I got. If that made it too flat for my liking I would then go 0.125 and cut the middle and then keep cutting the middle +/- and on and on till I found the sweet spot.

Generally there is no reason to go beyond the thousandths mark (0.001), something that low in a frequency is pretty much flat for the terrain generator.

Size and shape of the biomes based off of frequencies when they get places but only for the random placed biomes. It also controls the dithering effect between biomes as well. The ones that use this rule <biome_generator range="0,1"/> in the biome list.

It's basically does the same thing as the terrain generator except for a 2d surface.. kinda!

Imagine a 3d landscape made of clay. Then you draw shapes on plastic wrap and color those shapes in with each colored to represent a biome. Then you take the plastic wrap and drape it over the the 3d landscape.

Hmmm... i guess you told about <biome_generators>... but in A16 added similar sections: <biome_intensity_generators> - its purpose I do not understand. Sorry if I have not correctly formulated.

Probably lower the scale some for the mountains modules. Once the land reaches 162m on the map display, the land wont go flat like it used to but be forced to have a peak and dip back down. Which results in the knife edge looking mountain ranges.

If your mountains are giving sharp peaks in general you probably want to change the frequency used to FastNoise, FastBillow, Billow (with exceptions you can use the bias property to stretch and make the peaks more blunt at the tops. The RidgedMultifractal and FastRidgedMultifractal will naturally make sharp cuts and lines in the terrain, mountains and their peaks (again you can tweak the bias to make it more blunt except the peaks that reach 162m).

edit: you can also lower the frequencies down as well but do so a little at a time. Example: if you had a frequency of 0.25 my next try would be 0.025 and see what I got. If that made it too flat for my liking I would then go 0.125 and cut the middle and then keep cutting the middle +/- and on and on till I found the sweet spot.

Generally there is no reason to go beyond the thousandths mark (0.001), something that low in a frequency is pretty much flat for the terrain generator

Yes, Thanks! I will attempt this.

The fact is that i removed the snow-capped peaks of the mountains, and sharp peaks is not needed.

Hmmm... i guess you told about <biome_generators>... but in A16 added similar sections: <biome_intensity_generators> - its purpose I do not understand. Sorry if I have not correctly formulated.

Oops! Yeah I don't know that much about it yet, haven't really messed with it to see if it actually does anything and if so what? It's on my "To play with" list :) Will let you know when I tackle it.

As for the "rural" deal, if it calls for that hub to be placed, the system see's nothing is actually there and skips it so it doesn't get hung up. If anything it would give a <wrn> deal if anything and then move on.

Okay Tin so the version with water is the normal amount or is it less that vanilla still?

I'd like smoother terrain, bigger cites, less water.

Not really into having too many POI's since it limits the amount of building space.

[i tend to build quite large bases.]

Okay Tin so the version with water is the normal amount or is it less that vanilla still?

I'd like smoother terrain, bigger cites, less water.

Not really into having too many POI's since it limits the amount of building space.

[i tend to build quite large bases.]

Less water than Vanilla still.

I have already down sized the amount of wilderness poi's to off set the bigger city sizes. You'll have plenty of open flat areas to build in, with or without a full active server of ppl to play with.

Less water than Vanilla still.

I have already down sized the amount of wilderness poi's to off set the bigger city sizes. You'll have plenty of open flat areas to build in, with or without a full active server of ppl to play with.

Hey that's great news!

Can't wait to try it.... [after I spend the next 10 hours editing XML's ... yuck!]

I tried your last one for A16 Experimental and it was lovely. I really enjoyed the changes you made.

Thanks for all your effort Tin.

Hey that's great news!

Can't wait to try it.... [after I spend the next 10 hours editing XML's ... yuck!]

I tried your last one for A16 Experimental and it was lovely. I really enjoyed the changes you made.

Thanks for all your effort Tin.

Yeah, this one I got more super flat areas in the world to encourage the hubs to grow more. I also tweaked the water a bit to make it more natural looking without increasing how often they appeared in the world. I had a new hub layout built but it grew the hubs too big, to the point I even had issues loading it, so I had to stick with the older one I did.. for now >.> till they get the loading straighten out more. :)

Now that I got the rwgmixer pretty close to how I want it, I am working on "infection" and "bleeding" for the buffs to add to the world later. I also still need to work on the biomes and redo the decorations, weather condition scheme (which is almost done), redid the spawning system some and tweaked the entities groups and classes... Basically putting together a minor mod.

..Plus I need to incorporate this into the "limited mining world" mod at some point, so ppl on lower end machines can hopefully play it better.

Damn I still have a bit of work ahead of me. xD

oh! and thanks for the words of encouragement :)

Yeah, this one I got more super flat areas in the world to encourage the hubs to grow more. I also tweaked the water a bit to make it more natural looking without increasing how often they appeared in the world. I had a new hub layout built but it grew the hubs too big, to the point I even had issues loading it, so I had to stick with the older one I did.. for now >.> till they get the loading straighten out more. :)

Now that I got the rwgmixer pretty close to how I want it, I am working on "infection" and "bleeding" for the buffs to add to the world later. I also still need to work on the biomes and redo the decorations, weather condition scheme (which is almost done), redid the spawning system some and tweaked the entities groups and classes... Basically putting together a minor mod.

..Plus I need to incorporate this into the "limited mining world" mod at some point, so ppl on lower end machines can hopefully play it better.

Damn I still have a bit of work ahead of me. xD

oh! and thanks for the words of encouragement :)

Yes, bring back limited mining mod! Don't forget us 32 bit people.:miserable:

Yes, bring back limited mining mod! Don't forget us 32 bit people.:miserable:

I'm getting there, gotta see if guppy can make me some more resource prefabs with sleeper blocks with them. It would be too easy to get the resources without a little resistance at least :)

If you change anything, that involves the pre-generation, its going to increase load times. So if we make large hubs, its pre-generating everything, every block, every chink...if i understand how those things work in A16.

Thats why after the first initial load, the clients, and server side it goes faster, cause everything is already generated.

If you change anything, that involves the pre-generation, its going to increase load times. So if we make large hubs, its pre-generating everything, every block, every chink...if i understand how those things work in A16.

Thats why after the first initial load, the clients, and server side it goes faster, cause everything is already generated.

Yep, hubs are the biggest drags when generating initially. Also, the initial generation has a bit of a memory handling issue, in that (right now) the system can't dump the stuff it doesn't need as quickly as what being generated, which is why the ram is being soaked so much initially I think. Once ppl get it to initially load they should immediately exit out of everything (client side and/or server), then log back in and the memory issue pretty much goes away and the game runs pretty smooth for awhile till it gets built back up after a long play session.

-> my best guess as to what is happening right now.

Without hubs (or very tiny ones) you can load the game in it's entirety in under 30seconds...

Just wanted to say this works well with Mag's new Compo pack for A16 and 16.1 visit here ->https://7daystodie.com/forums/showthread.php?28057-Compo-Pack-for-Random-Gen&goto=newpost just copy/paste the prefab folder and all the poi list into the rwgmixer.xml

Haven't asked to use it in my rwgmixer yet so you'll need to manually do it.

You'll just need to tweak the filler group of poi's and give them a max_count="x" value, suggestion a 1 or 2 for the filler pois is plenty.

Nice!, thanks man, this is great info thanks for taking all the time to do it, I know that testing Rwg changes is not an easy task. This is great!

One quick question, I wanted to increase the size of the playfield from 10000 to 30000 and i was wondering if making these changes will get the job done, I have not had time to test that aspect but suspect it should work?

<ruleset name="vanilla" cell_cache_size="8" cell_size="1800" cell_offset="0" [color="#FFFF00"]generation_distance="30000"[/color] terrain_generator="vanilla" biome_generator="vanilla">

<biome_spawn_rule name="radiated">
		[color="#FFFF00"]<distance_from_center range="30000,40000"/>[/color]
	</biome_spawn_rule>

Thanks again man this is awesome!

Unless they did something I don't know about, that should do the trick for you and thanks :)

You probably wont need to extend it to 40000 for the max, 31000 should be more than enough. So "30000,31000" nobody will know the difference.

one small mistake I noticed is that you accidentally put burnt_forest for biome_generator twice and I am pretty sure one of those is supposed to be pine_forest.

Otherwise great work, the only adjustments i will be making is to increase water a tiny bit, add back the snow biomes and increase landBase / landBase2 bounds to something like 0.01 to 0.15 so the land is not completely flat.

Tin, adding in the random snow biomes as in the comments results in editing out the wasteland - gotta change snow's 0.8 to 0.9, else they overlap.

The water version is basically a map full of vicious minibike traps ;) But I love the no-water one, especially since you added snow caps for mountains to alleviate the water needs, genius.

I made the cells bigger and generation distance lower, but still had very bad stuttering in downtown areas - guessing the 12 minimum count for skyscrapers might be the culprit? It's just not doable for average PCs. Next run will be with compo pack added, and more randomized town sizes (maybe I'll try to make one additional town rule, for a smaller size, with smaller downtown area and no skyscrapers). As it is this rwgmixer is a little OP for singleplayer, but must be super fun on multiplayer!

Archived